Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
STAY OUT OF OSAKA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

caberham posted:

STAY OUT OF OSAKA

TOO LATE.

Thanks for the recommendations y'all. I've a better idea on what to do.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Previous page had much good Osaka advice!

This page is now about outreach events at US military bases in Japan. What's the deal with Thanksgiving??? Any base goons who can smuggle groceries for me/goons?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

TopHatGenius posted:

I'm going to Japan next week and while I've a good idea on what to do in Tokyo, I'm still a little unsure about what to do in Osaka.

I know the Dotonbori but what other interesting sights are around Osaka?

Dotonbori also kind of sucks and isn't worth visiting for more than a stroll, unless you want to see 20 white people lining up to eat ramen at some chain store mentioned in their lonely planet or really like the sound of the Chinese language. The same goes for Kuromon market. Tsuruhashi is a good station to get off from and eat I thought (I don't live in Osaka though and there might be better places), I ate horumon at a popular place called Sora and it was really good so if you're into that sort of thing I recommend that.

Netflix has an episode of Ainsley Eats the Streets in Osaka which features a few restaurants that are pretty decent.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
nihonbashi is good.

also kaiyukan and the mall near it are great.

there's also tenjinbashisuji which is the longest shopping street in japan.

really just go wherever it's a chill city.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
There's a cool woodworking/tool museum in Kobe, about a 30 minute ride from Umeda + 10-15 minute walk.

https://www.dougukan.jp/about_architecture?lang=en

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Phone posted:

There's a cool woodworking/tool museum in Kobe, about a 30 minute ride from Umeda + 10-15 minute walk.

https://www.dougukan.jp/about_architecture?lang=en

That looks really cool. It’s a shame we won’t be going in that direction on our trip :(

Does anyone have suggestions for medium-term luggage storage?
We are heading up to Hokkaido for 10 days and want to travel light, and leave our bags in Tokyo. It seems most luggage storage desks and services are only intended for daily use, and Sagawa has a 5 day maximum (from here https://tokyocheapo.com/living/luggage-storage-in-tokyo/). Yamoto may be able to do it but it doesn’t look promising. Will be calling them tomorrow. Are there any other similar companies that will do 10 day storage?

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Hey doodz I'm half retarded but have access to a vagina. Aside from Matsumoto Kiyoshi, Don Quixote, every drug store in Japan, and most convenience stores, is there anywhere I can buy loob???!!!

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

sale on Banksy art posted:

Hey doodz I'm half retarded but have access to a vagina. Aside from Matsumoto Kiyoshi, Don Quixote, every drug store in Japan, and most convenience stores, is there anywhere I can buy loob???!!!

i'd like to buy one (1) banksy art please

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
I made the mistake of stopping by the Akihabara Matsumoto Kiyoshi because a friend wanted to buy some stuff there. Some Chinese employee came up to me and started rudely screaming into my face in Chinese. Was kinda annoyed by this and tried to find a Japanese employee but couldn't, and then walked out of the store. It felt like I was transported to a different country for a second.

The worst part of this is that my friend is Chinese American and doesn't understand Chinese, but I'm Chinese American as well and do understand Chinese but speak Japanese more fluently. I totally knew what the Chinese employee was saying.

The even more worst part of this is that by Chinese American I mean Taiwanese American.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

You can buy 2L bottles of lube from Amazon JP and have them delivered to any address in Japan, or a combini nearby to pickup when convenient. Just sayin'.
Also most drug stores sell baby oil, not lube. Using the former in place of the latter can cause yeast infections. Of the places you listed, Don Quixote is the only one likely to sell actual lube.

Also lol @ being mistaken for a Chinese person by a Chinese person? What am I missing, most Japanese people can't tell the difference between Asia-born Asians and America-born Asians either. I don't really see how that's limited to Chinese employees, could just as easily have been a Japanese employee trying to speak English to some white Russian person.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Sep 17, 2018

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

zmcnulty posted:

You can buy 2L bottles of lube from Amazon JP and have them delivered to any address in Japan, or a combini nearby to pickup when convenient. Just sayin'.
Also most drug stores sell baby oil, not lube. Using the former in place of the latter can cause yeast infections. Of the places you listed, Don Quixote is the only one likely to sell actual lube.

Also lol @ being mistaken for a Chinese person by a Chinese person? What am I missing, most Japanese people can't tell the difference between Asia-born Asians and America-born Asians either. I don't really see how that's limited to Chinese employees, could just as easily have been a Japanese employee trying to speak English to some white Russian person.

I’m going to take pictures of lube in every store I find myself in. This is my life now.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

ntan1 posted:

I made the mistake of stopping by the Akihabara Matsumoto Kiyoshi because a friend wanted to buy some stuff there. Some Chinese employee came up to me and started rudely screaming into my face in Chinese. Was kinda annoyed by this and tried to find a Japanese employee but couldn't, and then walked out of the store. It felt like I was transported to a different country for a second.

The worst part of this is that my friend is Chinese American and doesn't understand Chinese, but I'm Chinese American as well and do understand Chinese but speak Japanese more fluently. I totally knew what the Chinese employee was saying.

The even more worst part of this is that by Chinese American I mean Taiwanese American.

Well what did they say? Why would staff shout at you?

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
WHAT DO YOU WANT? FACE CLEANER? SHAMPOO? MEDICINE????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
like if they asked if I needed any help in any language I'd be fine but the directness was a little startling.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Shibawanko posted:

Why would staff shout at you?

Chinese is only spoken at a shout or higher.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

Chinese is only spoken at a shout or higher.
Yeah, just sounds like normal Chinese customer service to me.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

CopperHound posted:

Yeah, just sounds like normal Chinese customer service to me.

Jarring for it to be in Japan, but Akihabara is basically a mainland colony now.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
I've never been to a store in China where the staff cared whether or not I needed help.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Hardcore racism itt.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Hardcore racism itt.
Well, it is the Japan thread.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I thought shouting at people was just a thing for some drugstore chains. There’s one chain here where the staff stand outside screaming into a megaphone all day, including shouting at people when they try to go in.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
akiba was not a good time this last trip there

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

prompt posted:

Osaka is only good for eating and drinking. During the day make trips to Nara, Kyoto, maybe Himeji.

these are literally the 2 best things to do in Japan tho!!!

Bloodnose posted:

I've never been to a store in China where the staff cared whether or not I needed help.

yeah I'd say the normal level of Chinese customer service is to ignore everyone and look at your phone until someone comes up to ask for help, then reply that you don't know the answer to their question, or waste like 10 minutes answering it wrong and not finding what you need. The uncommon exception to this rule is actually helping you.

Proactively going and asking someone what they want, however rudely, seems like the complete antithesis of customer service here.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Tokyo goons,

Go have hotpot here

https://s.tabelog.com/en/tokyo/A1305/A130501/13187484/dtlrvwlst/

Haidilao is makes a decent numbing spicy hotpot. If you are waiting in line you can have a manicure and eat snacks.

The service is hilariously eager and nice.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
loving lol if you go to Chinese hotpot garbage in Tokyo

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
More for the goons who live in Tokyo or go to Tokyo from other parts of japan. Where tokyo is not as special

And you have bad Chinese food opinions

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

caberham posted:

Tokyo goons,

Go have hotpot here

https://s.tabelog.com/en/tokyo/A1305/A130501/13187484/dtlrvwlst/

Haidilao is makes a decent numbing spicy hotpot. If you are waiting in line you can have a manicure and eat snacks.

The service is hilariously eager and nice.

I've been wanting to go to this place for a while now: https://foursquare.com/v/%E9%80%B8%E5%93%81%E7%81%AB%E9%8D%8B/4cef9ef7ed62721e835061fd

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

LimburgLimbo posted:

loving lol if you go to Chinese hotpot garbage in Tokyo

I would also recommend people to try out Joel Robuchon if they aren’t based in East Asia/Europe and barely travel to the bigger cities.

And goons anywhere in the world will always come out for hamburgers or Mexican food.

Eating local food is always a treat but sometimes you want to try something else. Just an option

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

i hate hotpot but the other food looks good as hell. that shuizhu yupian looks real real good.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Magna Kaser posted:

i hate hotpot but the other food looks good as hell. that shuizhu yupian looks real real good.

You got to try Nabezo sometime, really good cuts of beef and pork and good value

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I like food and drinks !!!!!too

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

peanut posted:

I like food and drinks !!!!!too

hosed up if true

Flying into Japan today oh boy I've never been on a flight this long. :smithicide:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
It’s ok enjoy the flight and movies!

In the future you can use WiFi and keep on posting

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
Thankfully my phone plan gives me data all over Japan. Unlimited international shitposting!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I told my IT dept I was flying to Japan and I needed an international data plan. They said "okay no problem". I landed at HND and within 20 minutes I got a text saying "You're 75% through your 500mb data plan".

Enjoy the bill, suckers.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

caberham posted:

You got to try Nabezo sometime, really good cuts of beef and pork and good value

lmao if Nabezo is your defining experience of shabu shabu. drat I remember AYCE while there in college.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Martytoof posted:

I told my IT dept I was flying to Japan and I needed an international data plan. They said "okay no problem". I landed at HND and within 20 minutes I got a text saying "You're 75% through your 500mb data plan".

Enjoy the bill, suckers.

rofl

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I went to Tokyu Hands today because I wanted to buy some poo poo and I also wanted a belt but saw that they cost at least 4000 to 5000 yen... where can I buy a reasonable belt here that's no more than 2500 yen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Go to uniqlo?