Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Wheat Loaf posted:

Get Smart had Don Adams, who was also Inspector Gadget, which reminds me how I saw the live-action Inspector Gadget movie with Matthew Broderick in the cinema when it came out. And it was a school trip, too, for some reason.

Did you ever see the sequel? I'm curious how that got greenlit, did the first movie actually sell well? I figured it wouldnt live up to my hazy memories of the show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

got any sevens posted:

Did you ever see the sequel? I'm curious how that got greenlit, did the first movie actually sell well? I figured it wouldnt live up to my hazy memories of the show

I think the sequel was a Disney Channel original movie. It might have gotten a theatrical release somewhere but I only ever saw (part of - I don't think I've ever seen all of) it on television.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I went on a school trip to France in high school and I remember staying at a hotel in Normandy and the only thing on TV we could understand was the Broderick Inspector Gadget movie in English with French subtitles. That's the only time I've ever seen it and I shan't watch it again

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It wasn't very good.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
The original Inspector Gadget made $97.4 mil domestic and about a third of that in foreign markets against a $90 mil budget. Definitely not good enough for a true sequel, but for a DTV effort with French Stewart? Why not.

I saw the Broderick one in the theater. All I remember is that a Yahoo! billboard falls on Claw in the first 10 minutes of the movie, complete with a "Yahoooooooooooooo" sound effect, a gag that has aged very well and would definitely be comprehensible to audiences even today.

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Sep 17, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It was probably one of the last big-ish feature adaptations of an old television series, at least from that stretch in the 90s when it seemed to be a really big thing.

On a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being The Avengers and 10 being The Fugitive, I'd say it ranks at least a Flintstones In Viva Rock Vegas. :v:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

French Stewart had a short career replacing better/more famous actors in DTV kid's movie sequels since he also played Marv in Home Alone 4

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

After living in a psychiatric hospital, Dana (Kathryn Fiore) along with her husband, Aaron (Flip Schultz) attempt to move into their new house where her father (French Stewart) has murdered the entire cast of The Artist during his exorcism. Dana finds herself dealing with various others who live in the house, including an evil spirit and a teenage daughter (Olivia Alexander) who is infatuated with their neighbor Abraham Lincoln (Ben Morrison).

*Shudders*

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is that a Seltzer and Friedberg movie? I'm amazed that they still get made because I have a hard time believing anyone actually thinks they're funny, but I believe they're really, really, really cheap to produce so they almost always make money.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I like to imagine that the tone behind the scenes of a Seltzer and Friedberg film is that of a Ken Burns documentary, with forlorn violins playing under crew members penning letters home about how desperate the conditions are, and how they don’t even know why they’re there.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Shageletic posted:

Yo, unpopular opinion.

Get Smart is a good action movie.

I think it's ok as an action movie but a lot of the comedy falls through. And degassing the Rock through gay panic seemed like it wouldn't age well

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Richard Stanley's adaptation of The Colour Out of Space is apparently "getting very close to going before the cameras". I saw Stanley give a presentation on it with concept art last year and I hope this is one project of his which actually comes out. I hadn't heard before that Jóhann Jóhannsson was going to do the music for it before he died, so the Stanley curse is still alive and well.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Wheat Loaf posted:

Is that a Seltzer and Friedberg movie? I'm amazed that they still get made because I have a hard time believing anyone actually thinks they're funny, but I believe they're really, really, really cheap to produce so they almost always make money.

No it's by a second-tier Seltzer/Friedberg wannabe who also made https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_41-Year-Old_Virgin_Who_Knocked_Up_Sarah_Marshall_and_Felt_Superbad_About_It

And he also directed that movie Bad rear end with Danny Trejo "based" on the bus fight video

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/1041727762719883265

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I never understood the criticism to the Damaged tattoo. Do people.... Want to identify with the Joker?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Detective No. 27 posted:

I never understood the criticism to the Damaged tattoo. Do people.... Want to identify with the Joker?

I made an effort post about this a long while ago but, basically, if their already rear end in a top hat brains were exposed to grimdark takes on the Joker before they watched Fight Club sail over their heads that's where they go.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

It's something a 14 year old hardcore kid would do to show that they're a badass. Not a brilliant-but-insane supervillain.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Unironically, yes. I think a lot of people do.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

feedmyleg posted:

It's something a 14 year old hardcore kid would do to show that they're a badass. Not a brilliant-but-insane supervillain.

I can't believe someone would seriously describe a comic book character as a "brilliant supervillain".

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

feedmyleg posted:

Letoker isn't really depicted as particularly brilliant OR insane. He's kind of a YOLO mafia gangster

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I can't believe someone would seriously describe a comic book character as a "brilliant supervillain".

In what way?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Seeing as that's literally where that phrase originated I'm confused by this post.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

feedmyleg posted:

In what way?

Like they're quoting a comic book caption. "Meanwhile Doctor Boner, the most brilliant supervillain of all, hatches his latest scheme."

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Pablo Nergigante posted:

French Stewart had a short career replacing better/more famous actors in DTV kid's movie sequels since he also played Marv in Home Alone 4

He's got that sweet, sweet, syndication money though so I bet he's doing ok.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Detective No. 27 posted:

I wrote up a long thing about this but it's about not being embarassed by Batman. How can Batman be cool if his villains are basically just a bunch of assholes?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I always thought the damaged tattoo was a little on the nose.

It’s like giving Batman a tattoo that said parental issues or survivors guilt.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

I always thought the damaged tattoo was a little on the nose.

It’s like giving Batman a tattoo that said parental issues or survivors guilt.
Leto and everything he brings to the table is terrible. The only thing more appropriate to get tattooed on his version of the Joker would be "douche". It's also probably only a matter of time before he gets MeTooed.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I wrote up a long thing about this but it's about not being embarassed by Batman. How can Batman be cool if his villains are basically just a bunch of assholes?

I agree that's a big part of it. Joker has to be like the Ultimate Agent of Chaostm or else Batman is just beating a mentally ill man half to death.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I hated the design at first but between the ideas of Joker trying way too hard and looking like a piece of poo poo fitting in perfectly for the character and him also being the most incredibly annoying and obnoxious gangbanger he can be for no reason other than to piss off Batman I've come around.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’m fine with doing a tryhard edgy Joker, I just wish they’d cast someone more charasmatic than Leto to try and sell it.

It’s one of the few reasons I’m looking forward to the Joaquin Phoenix movie. The man pulled off a believable geek/Siri romance, I have little doubt he’ll be a decent Joker.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

I hope at the end Phoenix's Joker and Leto's Joker meet up at a cafe and then the third Joker walks in, played by Ben Affleck

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Casimir Radon posted:

Leto and everything he brings to the table is terrible. The only thing more appropriate to get tattooed on his version of the Joker would be "douche". It's also probably only a matter of time before he gets MeTooed.

See?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Imma laugh my butt off if there’s a twist at the end that reveals that Arthur is like a prototype Joker they serves as the inspiration for Leto or some poo poo. It almost feels possible with them giving him a real name and showing him without the getup and whatever. I would not put ot past the movie to indulge in some dumb bait and switch poo poo to have it both ways.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Tars Tarkas posted:

I hope at the end Phoenix's Joker and Leto's Joker meet up at a cafe and then the third Joker walks in, played by Ben Affleck

And the camera pans to one side, where jack nicholson is sitting, nodding in approval.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

And the it cuts to Coachella where the Ledger Joker hologram appears on stage.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

I mean, it's less a value judgment and more descriptive. The Joker, in most incarnations, is basically "what if Moriarty was goofy."

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I mean, it's less a value judgment and more descriptive. The Joker, in most incarnations, is basically "what if Moriarty was goofy."

Not really. Joker has never resembled a Victorian scientist, but "goofy".

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

exquisite tea posted:

Joaquin Phoenix being in this Joker project makes me cautiously optimistic that the industry is getting so loving bored of comic book movies that they're just gonna start using them as reference points for otherwise decent scripts that couldn't get made any other way.

lol remember when everyone thought Life was a venom movie

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Somebody pointed out previously that Joker would have to sit down for those tattoos, and he doesn’t seem like the kind of guy who can sit down for even 15 minutes.

Alan Smithee posted:

lol remember when everyone thought Life was a venom movie

It would have made for a good symbiote backstory, if you ignore that the creature doesn’t attach itself to humans (unless it is instantly killing them). And you know, the part where it probably ended up killing a lot of people on Earth.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Sep 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Not really. Joker has never resembled a Victorian scientist, but "goofy".

You are being pedantic as gently caress here.