Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

TheKingofSprings posted:

I don’t even think he necessarily believes it but he sure wants his constituents to

I appreciate the tacit admission that not only is Toronto the most important place in Ontario, his own riding is completely irrelevant except in as much as people can leave it, for Toronto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4826567

Leona Alleslev just crossed the floor to join the conservatives.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
Probably looking to keep getting paid, as her riding went over 50% OPC in June

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Sep 9, 2022

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
Apparently there's already a CPC candidate in her riding. Awkward!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Spite out of getting demoted?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

infernal machines posted:

Actually, accessible clean needles are a major component in harm reduction.

You rube. How is every single one of your arguments this ill considered?

"druggies": definitely the vocabulary of a serious person interested in public health solutions

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I'm a little surprised. Former Air Force Captain, former Bombardier employee. You'd think that she'd be used to being disappointed for a career.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

I'm shocked! Shocked I say.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Reince Penis posted:

In that spirit: (take with as many grains of salt as you wish obv) I hear whispers from the government block around Queens Park and they aren't good. Hudak's widespread public sector layoff plan may be on the verge of a comeback.

Hey hey I heard this rumor again on the weekend from another person. I expect public sector layoffs in the ten of thousands to be announced sometime between now and the Ontario Conservatives first budget.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

Reince Penis posted:

Hey hey I heard this rumor again on the weekend from another person. I expect public sector layoffs in the ten of thousands to be announced sometime between now and the Ontario Conservatives first budget.

Somewhere, Tim Hudak is kicking himself for announcing layoffs before getting elected.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Nobody hopes I'm wrong more than me.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
NB is having elections today. I voted for the NDP though it won't matter since this part of the province is full of rear end in a top hat olds and rich dipshits so it'll probably go Con again.

Welp that's my story.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Stretch Marx posted:

NB is having elections today. I voted for the NDP though it won't matter since this part of the province is full of rear end in a top hat olds and rich dipshits so it'll probably go Con again.

Welp that's my story.

I feel your pain. Voted Saturday in the advance polls, though in this case there's a chance that the single Green MLA in the province might win his seat back. (I didn't vote for him, though.)

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Falstaff posted:

I feel your pain. Voted Saturday in the advance polls, though in this case there's a chance that the single Green MLA in the province might win his seat back. (I didn't vote for him, though.)

IIRC he basically disassociated his Green party from the country wide one and thinks May is a moron. So who knows.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Stretch Marx posted:

IIRC he basically disassociated his Green party from the country wide one and thinks May is a moron.

Huh, makes sense.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4826567

Leona Alleslev just crossed the floor to join the conservatives.

One of her complaints was that the liberals aren’t properly funding the military. IIRC the conservatives and the liberals both pretty much agree that they should campaign on better funding but never actually implement it.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Evis posted:

One of her complaints was that the liberals aren’t properly funding the military. IIRC the conservatives and the liberals both pretty much agree that they should campaign on better funding but never actually implement it.

CBC just asked her given Harper's record on military spending why the Conservatives would be a better option and she just dodged with 'times are different now'

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

less than three posted:

CBC just asked her given Harper's record on military spending why the Conservatives would be a better option and she just dodged with 'times are different now'

We suck off the chuds with more gusto now.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
We should buy into the F-35 program, I heard those things are great. Also maybe Britain has some more Seakings that are at the bottom of the Atlantic.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Stretch Marx posted:

IIRC he basically disassociated his Green party from the country wide one and thinks May is a moron. So who knows.

Really? That bit flew completely under my radar. I did like a lot of his platform, though there were a few ideas that struck me as less-than-ideal, so I dunno if it would have made a difference to me voting-wise if I'd known he'd distanced himself from the federal party.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/CochraneCBC/status/1041757858977783808?s=19

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Can't wait to hear every Conservative MP screaming about Omar Khadr a year from now.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Goosed it. posted:

Yeah--City Hall is not a well-oiled machine but nothing has suggested that the reason City Hall is inefficient is because there are too many councillors/wards. I think it feels intuitive to people that fewer councillors would be able to agree on more things but I don't think that's actually supported by any research. Other solutions, like increasing mayoral power, introducing parties etc. would be more likely to address the inefficiency but these changes also have flaws.

I feel like it's also worth digging in to the idea that somehow "more agreement" means "better government". I mean if your goal is to just "make things happen regardless of what those things are" then a pure dictatorship has 100% agreement among the 1 person who holds political office. The entire point of democratic systems is that you include MORE voices and debate to reach a solution that's at least tolerable by most people, rather than getting to a solution as quickly as possible. You might not think the final result is perfect but you can at least agree that it was reached in a way where your voice was heard. The fact that people are even making "efficiency" arguments suggests that maybe it's not really democracy that they're so interested in as a system.

Of course as mentioned earlier, most of the "inefficiency" in city hall came directly from the Fords holding up the system if they didn't get their way, because the standard tactic of these people is to deliberately sabotage the system and then complain about how it doesn't work.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Sep 18, 2018

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
https://twitter.com/jpags/status/1041840832519839744

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I hope some people who are on the fence about voting Conservative in Alberta are watching this Ontario shitshow and reconsidering whether Kenney is really worth the risk.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

PT6A posted:

I hope some people who are on the fence about voting Conservative in Alberta are watching this Ontario shitshow and reconsidering whether Kenney is really worth the risk.

:lol: That'll be the day.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

PT6A posted:

Did Kenney piss off someone at PostMedia? They ran an oped the other day that said that Singh was right to call him out on passing the buck for the Kinder-Morgan pipeline.

Basically the Liberals said that pipeline approval is a mess because the Conservatives (and Kenney in particular set up the approval process when they were in government and turned it into a shitshow. Kenney tweeted something like “typical liberals always blaming others for their disasters”. Singh called him out in this and PostMedia wrote something how “maybe he missed a few classes while not completing his philosophy from a private religious university in the US” and that his “playing the victim” was typical of US conservatives.

Anyway I thought it was odd that they would criticize him that much and wondered what he did to deserve it.

Here’s the article: https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/parkin-jagmeet-singh-was-right-to-call-out-jason-kenney

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Sep 18, 2018

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

The ANDP is essentially as close as anyone's ever gotten to "fiscally conservative, socially liberal" in a way that's not just "conservative, but smokes weed," and I can see why there's a certain part of the media establishment that would be thrilled about it, especially as morons like Ford and Trump remind them that right-wing populist know-nothings are not as controllable and risk-free as they once were.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Sep 18, 2018

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Shotgun legislation

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Not to mention that the Alberta Party is growing in popularity amongst the upper middle class in Edmonton (I think in Calgary as well, but I don't really have a pulse on their political leanings). Partially because Mandel was a fairly popular and competent mayor in Edmonton, and partially because they provide a non-racist and more palatable version of the conservative party.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Sep 18, 2018

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

berenzen posted:

a non-racist ... version of the conservative party.

A jumbo shrimp?

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I feel like it's also worth digging in to the idea that somehow "more agreement" means "better government". I mean if your goal is to just "make things happen regardless of what those things are" then a pure dictatorship has 100% agreement among the 1 person who holds political office. The entire point of democratic systems is that you include MORE voices and debate to reach a solution that's at least tolerable by most people, rather than getting to a solution as quickly as possible. You might not think the final result is perfect but you can at least agree that it was reached in a way where your voice was heard. The fact that people are even making "efficiency" arguments suggests that maybe it's not really democracy that they're so interested in as a system.

Of course as mentioned earlier, most of the "inefficiency" in city hall came directly from the Fords holding up the system if they didn't get their way, because the standard tactic of these people is to deliberately sabotage the system and then complain about how it doesn't work.

Oh I agree--I don't know think efficiency should be the priority but my sense is that people believe the current set-up of City Hall precludes it from being effective. So it's not necessarily about efficiency but a perception that City Hall is paralyzed by the combination of many voices and no organizational system, like parties, to hold councillors together. I do think that effectiveness should be a concern of municipal government because, on a very practical level, there is work that needs to be done.

I've also heard a lot of people complain about the impact that the weak mayoral system has on the quality of mayoral candidates in Toronto.

Overall, I think there's a high degree of discontent about the structure of municipal government that Ford has tapped into. That a lot of the issues stem from the Ford brothers is really the icing on the cake

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

On a very practical level, work does get done.

The high-profile fights are generally based on weird regionalism and political alignment as it is. And for all the suburbs bitch about not being heard, they've been dictating the agenda for the last 8 years, and have seen the vast majority of infrastructure spending for at least 12.

A small handful of wards have consistently elected the most useless fuckwits on council, since amalgamation (i.e. Ford(s), Mammoliti, et al). Coincidentally, those same wards are consistently under-served and have the worst infrastructure development and service coverage. This is, of course, a mystery to these voters.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Sep 18, 2018

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

I should have said it earlier but Quebec just had their (English language) leaders debate tonight. Since I said I’d post about the campaign and then got really busy, I’ll write an effort post tomorrow.

Immediate feedback from voters is that Manon Massé came out as being really well liked by anglophones in what was really the first time any of them have had real contact with Quebec Solidaire.

Here’s the link : https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6AmiPzP0U0E

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

berenzen posted:

Not to mention that the Alberta Party is growing in popularity amongst the upper middle class in Edmonton (I think in Calgary as well, but I don't really have a pulse on their political leanings). Partially because Mandel was a fairly popular and competent mayor in Edmonton, and partially because they provide a non-racist and more palatable version of the conservative party.

The "more palatable" thing is probably a huge part of it. A lot of people really don't give a poo poo about evangelical issues and just want to hoard their money and are probably tired of their people constantly throwing in with the losing side of social issues. They keep kneecapping themselves to court the bigot crowd that isn't even really so big that they NEED those votes.

Of course this probably presents a problem for those of us on the left - it was always easy to sell opposition to actual racists. If (little-c) conservatives drop them from their base and focus entirely on economic issues, it puts us in the position of having to explain why those things are actually bad, which is a lot more nuanced than what a lot of people tend to have the patience for.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

berenzen posted:

wait, that fucker is still trying to rise above just being a mayor? Jesus wept did everyone in Edmonton forget that we got into this boondoggle with the downtown arena because of Mandel?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Sep 9, 2022

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Mr. Apollo posted:

Did Kenney piss off someone at PostMedia? They ran an oped the other day that said that Singh was right to call him out on passing the buck for the Kinder-Morgan pipeline.

Basically the Liberals said that pipeline approval is a mess because the Conservatives (and Kenney in particular set up the approval process when they were in government and turned it into a shitshow. Kenney tweeted something like “typical liberals always blaming others for their disasters”. Singh called him out in this and PostMedia wrote something how “maybe he missed a few classes while not completing his philosophy from a private religious university in the US” and that his “playing the victim” was typical of US conservatives.

Anyway I thought it was odd that they would criticize him that much and wondered what he did to deserve it.

Here’s the article: https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/parkin-jagmeet-singh-was-right-to-call-out-jason-kenney

quote:

This is my last column with the Sun papers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Mr. Apollo posted:

the author, Tom Parkin, is an NDP guy