Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Yeah. There is still a spoiler policy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
akechi has the worst haircut of the entire cast and he should be despised for that alone

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

True, which is why I didn't get into the reasons. I'll admit I'm probably treading too close to encouraging talk along those lines though.

In regards to the other villains, P4G always came across to me as giving Adachi dimensions simply to make him a more realistic character, rather than the rather one-dimensional one he was initially. It doesn't make him any more sympathetic at least, it just helps show how he came to be like that, along with emphasizing him being the dark mirror of the P4 MC. I mean, the "I cover up for Adachi" ending has him loving blackmailing you afterwards - I don't think you were suddenly supposed to be sympathetic to him.

As for Shido, people keep trying to think this is a mystery piece. It's not, it's a HEIST piece. And in most heist films, the villain isn't some big secret, even if the main characters aren't sure who he is. Generally the point of them is just how they'll end up screwing over the villain, not figuring out who they are. Shido in particular mostly just comes across as a petty politician who found a seemingly untraceable tool, was unscrupulous enough to use it, and dumb enough to not really use it with any real caution. Someone can dislike what ATLUS did certainly, but it kind of seems deliberate that once you start seeing who he really is that he doesn't come across as some villainous mastermind or whatever, just a corrupt politician, and not a terribly smart one at that.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Him cultivating his nice public image and still being an rear end in a top hat to teenagers anyway also doesn’t seem like as much of a disconnect when the teenager is such an obvious “troublemaker/delinquent” as Ryuji is, regardless of how truthful that statement is in reality.

Part of his strategy is appealing to the middle aged and higher voting majority after all.

He’s just a capable corrupt politician who knows how to play the game and order Akechi around, he doesn’t need to be some great mastermind because of that.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Lol ohhh no a Japanese politician being a jerk to a teen! Whatever will he do without ~the youth vote~

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Lol ohhh no a Japanese politician being a jerk to a teen! Whatever will he do without ~the youth vote~

What's the voting age in Japan anyway, 20?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm not saying it's a huge issue that he's being rude to Ryuji, it's just that A: There's tons of people watching him at that moment and B: It's comical how small and petty the grievance that got him to drop the act was, to the point where it's astounding that he keeps it up at all.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

GhostStalker posted:

What's the voting age in Japan anyway, 20?

Four years ago you'd have been correct; it was lowered to 18 in 2015.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

If anything Shido being lovely to a random teenager would probably win him votes.

Malah
May 18, 2015

Where the gently caress are Akechi's parents? His mother needs to smack the stupid out of him.

Malah fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Sep 15, 2018

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Malah posted:

Where the gently caress are Akechi's parents? His mother needs to smack the stupid out of him.

they're dead, op

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Malah posted:

Where the gently caress are Akechi's parents?

Clearly he killed them first. :v:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
surely we all remember how he bonded with us by casually mentioning how his mother had him out of wedlock and then killed herself from the shame

if it weren't for shido bankrolling him he'd probably be a ward of the state somewhere

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Malah posted:

How could we forget that totally-not-a-complete-non-sequitur from when Akechi showed up at Leblanc?

quote:

...Did I bother you? My apologies. Apparently, my mother was in a relationship with some low-life of a man…
She was swiftly discarded when he learned she was pregnant… That despair would lead to her death.
Thanks to him, I was passed from foster home to foster home. But, I do quite well by myself these days.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Goro's dad went to go get Powerball tickets. Before he was born.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

HIJK posted:

akechi has the worst haircut of the entire cast and he should be despised for that alone

Sweater vest! :argh:

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Thank you for showing us the text message conversations with the confidants.

I really like stuff like that.

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
I've never played the game nor read about it, so I'm completely speculating about what the keyword for Shido's palace is. I have it in my mind that he sees himself as an actor putting up a front, everyone else as his adoring fans, so his palace will either be a stage, movie set, or a theater.

Malah
May 18, 2015

Oxxidation posted:

surely we all remember how he bonded with us by casually mentioning how his mother had him out of wedlock and then killed herself from the shame

if it weren't for shido bankrolling him he'd probably be a ward of the state somewhere
:wtc: Could they telegraph how this is going to end any more obviously?

Actually, what keeps me in suspense is not the annoyingly predictable outcome, but which one?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Funky Valentine posted:

If anything Shido being lovely to a random teenager would probably win him votes.
Ding ding ding ding

There is literally not a demographic out there that's worth less than the youth in Japanese politics, except for immigrants (if you even think of them as a real demographic)

Now, if he'd have been rude to an old? Now that would have been something serious, mind you. But a teenager is worth exactly gently caress all even if anyone had bothered to give the tiniest of shits to film it (they wouldn't have)

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Geomancing posted:

I've never played the game nor read about it, so I'm completely speculating about what the keyword for Shido's palace is. I have it in my mind that he sees himself as an actor putting up a front, everyone else as his adoring fans, so his palace will either be a stage, movie set, or a theater.

He keeps talking about "setting sail for a better future" or some poo poo so I bet it's a ship.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Concept: Shido is insecure about his male pattern baldness. His palace is literally Hair Club for Men.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Shido's Palace is the Cloud District.

It's completely empty because not many people have been to it.

except for immigrants (if you even think of them as a real demographic)

I think the preferred nomenclature is "temporary foreign guests".

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

GunnerJ posted:

He keeps talking about "setting sail for a better future" or some poo poo so I bet it's a ship.

Battleship. Calling it now.
1. It’s anime as hell.
2. Japan isn’t legally allowed to have a military, just a self-defense force (the difference is primarily in the definition)
3. The newest generation of conservative politicians in Japan want to get rid of that rule.
4. Abe, current PM of Japan, is a member of that group.
5. Shido is based off Abe.

Could be misremembering some of the political stuff.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Ding ding ding ding

There is literally not a demographic out there that's worth less than the youth in Japanese politics, except for immigrants (if you even think of them as a real demographic)

Now, if he'd have been rude to an old? Now that would have been something serious, mind you. But a teenager is worth exactly gently caress all even if anyone had bothered to give the tiniest of shits to film it (they wouldn't have)

Look it’s just, even if that’s the case, Shido has been talking about youth and their future and the future of the country which is basically the younger generation who will eventually grow into adults, you’d think he would bother keeping up some appearances.

Also I bet Shido is arrogant enough to be rude to an old, because he’s just that stupid and egotistical.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Keep in mind that Shido's success is due partly to charisma and planning, but also to dozens of magical psychic murders just happening to occur in ways that directly benefit him. He doesn't have to be a super-genius mastermind, he has an evil brain assassin on staff.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Shido would seem a lot more unrealistic if it wasn't for the horror show that has become US politics.

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!
I personally never trust a kid who's name rhymes with "sketchy"

Malah
May 18, 2015

Hunt11 posted:

Shido would seem a lot more unrealistic if it wasn't for the horror show that has become US politics.
The US is late to the fascism-fest of modern politics. Israel, Hungary, Poland, and the Philippines come to mind immediately. Keep in mind that Shido is based on Japanese politicians, so this didn't exactly come out of nowhere (although which one is hard to say, considering Japan went through seven Prime Ministers in as many years before Abe managed to stick it out a little longer).

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Shido gradually comes off less as any single Prime Minister and more like the human embodiment of the LDP.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

Shido gradually comes off less as any single Prime Minister and more like the human embodiment of the LDP politicians in general.

Fixed that for you. Unless you think two-faced and unscrupulous lying snakes are limited to just one party, of course. These days it seems more the standard than the exception, regardless of country or proposed stance.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

Shinzo Abe technically but in a really bloodless and generic way

You drat teens need to stop pestering me and go make more Japanese babies

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

This one struck me. I wouldn't be surprised if his palace was a daycare or a school, though it might be a grasp.

Malah
May 18, 2015

I like the suggestion of a ship, bc that sounds outrageously dumb and we need more "what the gently caress is that??" palaces.

Over-the-top gonzo battleship sounds right up his alley.

Malah fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Sep 17, 2018

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Malah posted:

I like the suggestion of a ship, bc that sounds outrageously dumb and we need more "what the gently caress is that??" palaces.

Over-the-top gonzo battleship sounds right up his alley.
So basically his palace is going to be Totally Not Space Battleship Yamato then, got it.

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
Going by all the speeches public and private from both himself and his cronies about how he's the only one who can and should reform Japan, he may genuinely think of himself as a heroic person saving the country and it may be something related to a hero complex. I just don't know what you might call that as a location. Could be wrong, since it has specified the DIET building and not all of Japan, after all.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

AradoBalanga posted:

So basically his palace is going to be Totally Not Space Battleship Yamato then, got it.

He is voiced by Char. So a Gundam ship would make more sense.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Lord Koth posted:

Fixed that for you. Unless you think two-faced and unscrupulous lying snakes are limited to just one party, of course. These days it seems more the standard than the exception, regardless of country or proposed stance.
Holy poo poo I think my eyes rolled out of my head

No, of course he's a stereotype of ~all politicians~ and not the right-wing party that has ruled almost continuously for the entirety of Japans democratic history and had the greatest hand in shaping its political landscape

Did you completely loving forget Tora in your South Park level political analysis?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
thank goodness we’re here to fight about the politics in our anime game, better take this one to the Thunderdome boys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Part 157: 11/23-11/24: Call Me Hamill

Music: Disquiet

Shido’s the guy who set you up…!?
What kind of fate brought you two back together…?

The kind of fate that relies on plot contrivances!

Talk about a destined connection…
Shido was involved in the cognitive research too, right? This can’t be dismissed as just a coincidence…
God… What the hell’s going on here?
Shido was already a politician then, yet he sued a student and ruined his future? He must have pulled some strings so that his name wouldn’t be mentioned… Furthermore, he also would’ve had to force that woman into making a false statement.
He would do anything. We’re talking about a man who ordered a hit inside the police station.
He can’t sit still until he crushes whoever opposed him, no matter how trivial. He’s always been that way.

“Children are the future,” my rear end! What he’s sayin’ and doin’ are completely different!
But now that we found out who did it, can’t something be done about Maaku’s record?
Once the courts have made a judgment, overturning that decision will be difficult. It’d barely be possible even if proof of innocence is presented and Shido admits to his crimes.
At any rate, we need to trigger a change of heart in him.
Be that as it may, Shido’s outer appearance and his true face are wholly different. It’s beyond hypocritical. It’s as if he’s an entirely different person.
He speaks about the good of the country… It makes me wonder what really is on his mind.
That man’s full of ambition to rise in the world. He only thinks of the weak as stepping stools for his success.
He treats himself as an elite man while looking down on others… That’s the worst.
I assume the keyword for what he believes the Diet Building is will be despicable too.
It must be something self-centered and completely different from politics.
Someone like him needs to be punished as soon as possible!
Let’s head to the Diet Building again right after school tomorrow. I feel we’ll get it this time!
Stewing over it won’t get anywhere. We have to do this…

The Phantom Thieves nod in agreement.

Music: Beneath the Mask

And it’s a twist told in the most prosaic fashion possible!

I ain’t worried. It’s cool, if you’re all good. I don’t need nothing. Stop by the shop if you want some weapons.

Awww, Iwai’s too macho to say it, but he was worried. :3:

Candidates from all parties have taken to the streets, asking for support from voters. United Future’s Masayoshi Shido has been actively giving speeches in Yongen-Jaya and other areas.
Can you believe how popular he is? But that guy is such a bastard…

Oh, yeah, those clothes… You’d stand out if everyone else is wearing their school uniforms. It might be a good idea to wear your uniform when you head out.
I should wear my school uniform when I head out tomorrow…

But we didn’t wear it last time… Hm, wearing a specific outfit for no reason? Must be an animated cutscene tomorrow!

It’ll totally be an easy win for Shido-kun.
He really got famous from all that Phantom Thieves business.
He’s on track to become prime minister.
Guess I should be on Shido’s side…

Anon: So did he do it or not!?
Anon: Execute accomplices too!
Anon: Just like Akechi-kun said!
Anon: so he HAS to be guilty
Anon: what kinda idiot does this?

Anon: Akechi got the last laugh!
Anon: A worthy end for a villain
Anon: AKECHI IS BAE!!!
Anon: c’mon, leak his name!

Music: Suspicion

I think Masayoshi Shido is even more amazing though. He’s the first politician I’ve ever believed in.
Oh, I know Shido-san too! Sounds like he really wants to improve this country!

Music: Beneath the Mask (Instrumental Version)

Thank goodness! I was really worried! I thought I’d never see you again… Man, it’s such a relief to hear things are OK. Well, if you need anything, I’ll be at the arcade.

Thank goodness you’re all right. You’re such a bad student. Hiding the pieces isn’t allowed, you know. Well, if you need anything, I’ll be at the church.

So you’re OK? That’s a relief. I’m expecting great things from the Phantom Thieves. If you need anything, I’m happy to help, my comrade.

Tora is just the best.

You’re taking off tonight, right? Sheesh, you’re such a risk-taker… Listen, make sure nobody notices you, OK?
We have to do something about the keyword for sure this time…

Music: Wicked Plan

Awful jokey music for this situation.

But we still have no hit…
Think it’s a barrier after all?
Where’d your enthusiasm from yesterday go?

Uh, what???

Enough chatting. You should only be thinking about the keyword!
The citizens are secondary. He only cares about his own well-being and that of his lackeys…
He wants to become prime minister even if it means trampling on others…
Fortune… Rich people…
Hey, Maaku, can you think of anything based on what you’ve heard from him? Just try saying anything. It doesn’t matter if you guess.

Music: Suspicion

Well, that’s really heavy-handed, but okay.

Result found.

What? The Diet Building’s a ship!? What kind of scenery will that be!? The actual building’s on land!
I can’t even begin to fathom what it will be like…
Well, whatever it is, looks like there are no barriers!
Sh-Shuddup! Let’s hurry up and go in!

That’s a good thing, Ryuji.

Are we clear of the guard’s sight?
Get closer to the wall, just in case. All right… Do it, Maaku.
Beginning navigation.

The security guards seem to be gone, but it’s difficult to tell for certain… This seems to be similar to what happened with Sis’s Palace.
But this time, the Diet Building remains unchanged…
Ah… The gate wasn’t open earlier though.

That means we’re definitely in a Palace.
C’mon, let’s go take a look.

Limitless Pride

Music: Limitless Pride

Nah. It’s totally normal.
I’ll check it out!

What the heck?
What’s up, Futaba?
……

What is it?

How the gently caress did you idiots not notice this!? You knew it was a boat!

Even though this country may sink, he alone will survive… That’s what this cognition is about, huh…?

How poetic, Haru. What new depths of depravity will we find in Shido’s Palace? Who knows! I do know one thing, though:

This should be the new :thunk:

Arist fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Sep 22, 2018