Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Frond posted:

For the most part I don't feel F1 cars race very well on street circuits, with certain exceptions. Of the current ones only Baku has produced interesting races.

Baku, against all expectations, has become a great street circuit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Except he crashed into people all season??
The first 6 races were pretty bad (though some of the incidents were more excusable than they appear) but since then he's been on very solid form.
The secret was telling Jos to stay home apparently.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Tsaedje posted:

'Oval racers could easily be competitive in F1 but F1 drivers would struggle on ovals' is possibly the dumbest opinion I've ever heard

40 year old Takuma Sato has won multiple races, Max loving Chilton isn't laughed into oblivion, Alonso nearly won the 500 on his first attempt without trying

Sounds like someone forgot about that time Sato passed Alonso in a super aguri

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

The Kimoa Kid posted:

I have more faith in McLaren's ability to pull an F1 engine out of their rear end than fuckin Aston Martin

Seeing as the bulk of new Astons have a slightly worked over Mercedes V8 I'm lolling at the idea that somehow aston would even be able to come up with a cosworth level F1 powertrain.

Unless they get a rebadged Mercedes unit and toto gets to headbut pisstian hornier on camera any time he even thinks about complaining

Also I didnt watch the race this weekend, but Im glad the Ferrari boys finished 1 2 and hamilton drowned in the bay. #ForzaFerrari

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

1500quidporsche posted:

Baku, against all expectations, has become a great street circuit.

I’ve been saying this for ages

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It's impossible to say whether Scott Dixon would have been a good F1 driver. Michael Andretti was the best driver in series history and he was awful in F1, as was Alex Zanardi. IndyCar is a land of contrasts.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Montoya was good in F1

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I still dream of Macau replacing Monaco. Every night I have the same dream.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

iospace posted:

The last time I changed the title before 24 hours after the race, I got yelled at.

I change the title and cut off any griping, and I get yelled at.

I can't win :eng99:

I love you all, but I hate you sometimes.

Sorry, didn't realize you were talking about the thread title.
Color me loving stupid... Again.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Khablam posted:

The first 6 races were pretty bad (though some of the incidents were more excusable than they appear) but since then he's been on very solid form.
The secret was telling Jos to stay home apparently.

IDK how you can say "okay SIX races were a mess but he's good now" with a straight face

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Somebody should ask Koeneggsegg to join F1

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I can think of a lot of people who did the F1-Indy jump well and very few who were poor in Indycar and good in F1, other than people who were ridiculously old like Piquet or Barrichello.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Michael Andretti was the best driver in series history

WRONG

Scott Dixon and A.J Foyt are better

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Reynold posted:

WRONG

Scott Dixon and A.J Foyt are better

I'm talking modern era, aka post-1979. Foyt being insanely good when a lot of the USAC season consisted of mile ovals and dirt tracks is impressive but it's also basically a completely different form of motorsports than the post-CART series.

Andretti faced far better competition than Dixon did, and generally had worse cars, especially in the mid/late-90s.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Khablam posted:

Unfortunately for you the rest of the world is cursed with adequate vision and we all saw The Froglet revert to type in Monza, drive like a shitcunt and then cry about it.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
https://drivetribe.com/p/singapore-grand-prix-driver-ratings-fr3g-2aARm-jxi4QeK4l0A?iid=CJQLUQJHQj6KpqDu-pKu2g

Trying to reconcile my feelings about finally finding a journalist who appreciates Stroll yet simultaneously thinks Sirotkin ricocheting off walls around Marina Bay was somehow driver of the day.

For context, Tiff Needell was a very awesome and talented F1 driver.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Theophany posted:

For context, Tiff Needell was a very awesome and talented F1 driver.

The diagnosis is complete

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

IDK how you can say "okay SIX races were a mess but he's good now" with a straight face

Max is good and fast and the butthurt in here about him is amazing. He is def better than that fraud of a driver Seb.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Lou Takki posted:

Max is good and fast and the butthurt in here about him is amazing. He is def better than that fraud of a driver Seb.

You quoted my post but completely failed to respond to it... wanna try again??

How is he amazing after 6 lovely races in a row? Answer the question.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Zaphod42 posted:

Somebody should ask Koeneggsegg to join F1

They are too busy making comically fast hyper cars that are light years beyond the best offerings from Porsche/Lambo/Ferrari/McLaren

edit: their last, and only, car for racing was the CCGT which never got the chance to race as Koenigsegg did one shakedown run and then the FIA changed all the GT1 regulations. The car is insanely Cool And Good. https://www.koenigsegg.com/ccgt/

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Only in straight line speed

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

You quoted my post but completely failed to respond to it... wanna try again??

How is he amazing after 6 lovely races in a row? Answer the question.

Typically when considering a driver's skill or speed it helps to consider every race that driver has participated in not just a few bad examples. He did have an awful first half of the season, but he is clearly faster than Ricciardo and once he has another season or two under him he might have a real shot at the title (assuming RBR-Honda don't gently caress up LOL).

If any other driver was in that seat whooping on Ricciardo as much as he has we would all be singing his praises. As is, he is an ugly frog boy so I understand why you might confuse his face with his driving ability.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

If max can fix his racecraft he will win a few WDC's but he is still too erratic at times. Anyway the future is charles leclerc

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

The Croc posted:

If Vettel can fix his racecraft he will win another WDC but he is still too erratic at times. Anyway the future is charles leclerc

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Leclerc is going to make Verstappen look absolutely pathetic next year.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Only in straight line speed

not true

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

1500quidporsche posted:

I can't wait to see Leclerc outscore Vettel in his first year at Ferrari.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

You know your driver is a fraud when you say "well at least he's better than Vettel!"

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

NtotheTC posted:

You know your driver is a fraud when you say "well at least he's better than Vettel!"

But enough about Lewis Hamilton

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

1500quidporsche posted:

Honestly excited about Leclerc, I'm still surprised Ferrari pulled the trigger on him

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It's impossible to say whether Scott Dixon would have been a good F1 driver. Michael Andretti was the best driver in series history and he was awful in F1, as was Alex Zanardi. IndyCar is a land of contrasts.

At best he might have been a decent midfield driver, a la Gugelmin or something. I should point out that Zanardi was technically an F1 driver first, however he was generally outperformed there by Blundell, Gugelmin, and JJ Lehto. When all of them came stateside the reverse was true.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I'm talking modern era, aka post-1979. Foyt being insanely good when a lot of the USAC season consisted of mile ovals and dirt tracks is impressive but it's also basically a completely different form of motorsports than the post-CART series.

Andretti faced far better competition than Dixon did, and generally had worse cars, especially in the mid/late-90s.

Late era Foyt was embarrassingly bad. Michael Andretti from the years 1995-2000 was more or less always on the wrong tires/engine/chassis and had he stayed at Ganassi he probably would have won at least 2 more championships. I thought Dixon acquitted himself very well in 2001-2002 (2001 in particular arguably had the strongest-ever CART field), but he isn't quite on Andretti's level.

I don't know if they count as "good", but Lehto and Cheever didn't really achieve all that much stateside. Cheever in particular was disappointing, especially considering what he was able to do in F1 in less that stellar cars at times. Barrichello did well enough after a shaky start.

Frond fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Sep 17, 2018

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Ocon and Perez are now forbidden from racing each other on lap 1.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Thanks Ants posted:

The diagnosis is complete

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbcnAfAFi48

Here is Tiff Needell driving one of the best, least forgiving F1 cars of the 2000s by jumping in it and just driving the poo poo out of it.

Meanwhile, in BBC Broadcasting House...

Executive One: Have we raised Andrew Benson's pay yet?
Executive Two: He's three thick ropey Hamilton loads away from a bump.
Executive One: *loads up https://www.bbc.co.uk/f1*

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
lmao I didn't even click that link before I posted and here's the image from the page RIGHT loving NOW

I guess that's just 2 more for Benson.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Lou Takki posted:

Honestly excited about Leclerc, I'm still surprised Ferrari pulled the trigger on him

I'm excited about the driver lineups for next season in general, especially Leclerc though.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Mods please ban me if LeClerc has less points than Vettel at the end of 2019 :toxx:

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

1500quidporsche posted:

Mods please ban me if LeClerc has less points than Vettel at the end of 2019 and I don't give a smug 'dance like an Egyptian' press conference :toxx:

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

1500quidporsche posted:

Mods please ban me if LeClerc has less points than Vettel at the end of 2019 :toxx:

the only way this happens is if Ferrari fucks up the strategy in every ra-- hey wait a minute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Schlesische posted:

He's also an unlikeable prick who gets mollycoddled by his team, has unleashed one of the most insufferable fanbases on an unsuspecting f1 (patriotic dutch people) and the f1 media overhypes him to hell and back.

Which is pretty funny because Max is barely Dutch. His mother is Belgian and he lived in Belgium most of his life before he realised that branding himself Dutch would mean a bigger more rabid fanbase. And his father is from Limburg which doesn't really count as the Netherlands.