Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
DRK feels really squishy when you're leveling it compared to PLD and WAR. I don't know if that gets better at 70 but if I pull as big as I do with the other two tanks in 50ish content I tend to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

You can also macro all your abilities to say things like “The darkness is overtaking me!” Or “Blood, blood! More blood!”
And isn’t that just the best?

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Spuzzz posted:

My biggest problem with tanking is deciding on one. I like the paladins flashy moves, the warrior is great off tank and the dark knight is good all around and has great quests.

Warrior is the best tank at literally everything, and seems to be the dev team's baby considering how often they get mid-expansion retooling. I personally prefer DRK because The Blackest Night is fun to use, but you can't go wrong with being an axe dude.

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

DRK feels really squishy when you're leveling it compared to PLD and WAR. I don't know if that gets better at 70 but if I pull as big as I do with the other two tanks in 50ish content I tend to die.

Worlds different at 70. TBN is crazy, and once you have access to Dark Arts -> Abyssal Drain you steal so much HP from giant packs of enemies it should be illegal.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

I too, feel that DRK is squishier than an equivalently-levelled PLD. PLD gets extra mitigation just standing there because of their shield. DRK doesn't get their short-duration, spammable mitigation skill until level 70, then everything's kosher. Until then, you've got to depend on...... Anticipation.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
Big Pulls on DRK feel really good. Love slamming out endless shields + abyssal drains + quietus for 30 seconds until the whole pack of dudes is dead.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I wish Paladin had more Holy magic. I like being able to use Clemency to save low HP Healers or DPS, at least.

Harrow posted:

I can't really get into WAR's whole aesthetic, I think. I've never really been into the berserker archetype, I guess.

I actually like the Berserker job class (well, the X-2 version at least where it has actual abilities), but I can agree. WAR is so weird in XIV, especially since it's typically a speedy sword-using type in other games in the series.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Sep 17, 2018

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

You guys are making it hard for me to decide on my first tank job. I suppose if they can all do 99% of the tanking needed, I should first go with the DRK since it has a good story.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
My favorite FFXIV tanking story is how the group with the world's first kill of ultimate bahamut had a DRK as the main tank.

All the nerds theorycrafted on they would do this and what advantage it gave them since no other group was event attempting a kill with DRK. When asked the tank said "because it's fun and I like it"

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Algid posted:

You can't port into Idleshire without seeing Rowena's center for cultural appropriation, where she wears the latest glamour with a market value in the millions of gils. Then you can go right outside and see catgirl orphans surviving on week old pineapple pudding and attempting to disguise games of high stakes gambling as a children's stickerbook. Slowfix is wrong, jingleshine is what makes the world go around, no matter what form it takes. Citzenship is meaningless while Catpital controls the means of production, and egalitarianism is impossible if players don't own the fruits of their labor.

i'm the landed gentry in 14 and you'll find my name is embroidered on all that i craft

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
There's a fuckdiculous amount of leeway. They can all do like 170% of the tanking needed.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

DRK does have slightly obnoxious gameplay because a ton of it is like "DA -> X". You have this Dark Arts tax where you have to make sure to hit the DA button before you do pretty much anything. Not awful or anything, but I can see it being annoying that you have to keep hitting DA before lots of other buttons.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I wish Paladin had more Holy magic. I like being able to use Clemency to save low HP Healers or DPS, at least.

My favorite thing about playing PLD is when a healer gets pasted in a dungeon and just burning cooldowns/clemency and still finishing the fight.

More difficult to do that in 8/24 man content. The other tanks have better dps, but only PLD has that feeling of being invulnerable.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Yeah, it's a shame that you need to wait so long until you get some holy magic to work with. I like using Clemency as well, but you've got to be careful as some healers take it as a insult for some reason. You can still sneak it in during an alliance raid to save a DPS and most of the time they won't notice, at least.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

FutureCop posted:

DRK is hard to play because if you roleplay properly, you will wonder why you are bothering to serve those pathetic party members of yours: why save them from their inevitable fate? You are not their slave: leave them to die like the badass you are and move on to slay the true threat.

SAM is hard for me to roleplay because I have to kill myself after ever encounter for bad DPS

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Okay, I need the new China-exclusive 30s Shanghai mogstation set to come to us sooner rather than later.

http://ff14net.2chblog.jp/archives/54156799.html

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Why has nobody mentioned how stupidly overpowered Paladin is because they have a skill that flat out let's other people ignore a mechanic?

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Wacky Delly posted:

My favorite thing about playing PLD is when a healer gets pasted in a dungeon and just burning cooldowns/clemency and still finishing the fight.

This but opposite when the tank dies and I manage to Heal/Revive through it anyways.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Renegret posted:

My favorite FFXIV tanking story is how the group with the world's first kill of ultimate bahamut had a DRK as the main tank.

All the nerds theorycrafted on they would do this and what advantage it gave them since no other group was event attempting a kill with DRK. When asked the tank said "because it's fun and I like it"

The real great part about this is at the time everyone was crying about how terrible dark knight was and weren't worth bringing to raids because they're so bad. It goes to show that most people have absolutely no clue about anything related to game balance

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

unseenlibrarian posted:

Okay, I need the new China-exclusive 30s Shanghai mogstation set to come to us sooner rather than later.

:same:

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I think it's neat that paladins get exactly one spell for aggro, one for healing and one for damage. It gives me the same feeling as building a magic knight character in a tabletop: "I'm mostly a fighter and not so hot at magic, so if I can only choose a couple spells, which ones fill out my toolkit the best?" But Holy Spirit does come super late and Clemency is ridiculously expensive before Divine Magic Mastery at 64.

I hope the new expansion brings us another magic knight, because PLD, DRK and RDM have been super fun for me.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Aithon posted:

I think it's neat that paladins get exactly one spell for aggro, one for healing and one for damage. It gives me the same feeling as building a magic knight character in a tabletop: "I'm mostly a fighter and not so hot at magic, so if I can only choose a couple spells, which ones fill out my toolkit the best?" But Holy Spirit does come super late and Clemency is ridiculously expensive before Divine Magic Mastery at 64.

I hope the new expansion brings us another magic knight, because PLD, DRK and RDM have been super fun for me.

I know the leaks suggest otherwise, but I’m still hoping BLU becomes a tank so you can have a red white & blue mage party

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I know the leaks suggest otherwise, but I’m still hoping BLU becomes a tank so you can have a red white & blue mage party

Hell yeah. Though if there's a blue mage I'll probably get it to level cap whatever role it is.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

unseenlibrarian posted:

:yeah:

Skaw posted:

Why has nobody mentioned how stupidly overpowered Paladin is because they have a skill that flat out let's other people ignore a mechanic?

I love the ones that burn their "ignore everything" button just to ignore some autos.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
Preorders for Encyclopedia Eorzea 2 are up.

https://twitter.com/FF_XIV_EN/status/1041763783138525186

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Rainuwastaken posted:

Preorders for Encyclopedia Eorzea 2 are up.

Oh poo poo :retrogames:

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
They still haven't run out yet, they must've set up a large enough print order to begin with this time.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
FFXIV and expansions are on -50% sale at Humble.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Got mine pre-ordered, the first one was so good.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Dwesa posted:

FFXIV and expansions are on -50% sale at Humble.

Well gently caress, I bought this game 2 days ago.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

And here I thought my budget was secure this week. The first book was really good, I look forward to the new stuff.

Incidentally, that mage in blue in the preview images wearing a set already in the game?

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

The EU link doesn't go anywhere :(
SE!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It seems like more gets added with each expansion, so it might be something that becomes a bigger and bigger part of the job each time the level cap increases. If that's the case, it could be kind of a cool progression, as you go from a humble gladiator, to a knight, to a holy knight, to a blessed defender of the weak wreathed in holy light at all times.

Glagha posted:

DRK does have slightly obnoxious gameplay because a ton of it is like "DA -> X". You have this Dark Arts tax where you have to make sure to hit the DA button before you do pretty much anything. Not awful or anything, but I can see it being annoying that you have to keep hitting DA before lots of other buttons.

Yeah, I could see that being annoying. I'll give the job a try for sure but I could see myself getting really tired of always having to hit Dark Arts before doing things.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I always thought tank made a lot of sense for BLU, especially given how many of the job's appearances in previous FFs had to do with intentionally getting hit by things.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 17, 2018

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
:siren: Reminder that if you're an EU player and looking for a raid group in 4.4, we're recruiting! :siren:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Azubah posted:

And here I thought my budget was secure this week. The first book was really good, I look forward to the new stuff.

Incidentally, that mage in blue in the preview images wearing a set already in the game?

I don't recognise the hat, but the dress is the healer set from the first set of Heavensward 60 dungeons. It's the Valarian Shaman set. There are recolours available as vendor gear somewhere in Stormblood.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Just preordered it just in case it turns into a shitshow like how Vol 1's stock was

Veotax
May 16, 2006

oh no blimp issue posted:

The EU link doesn't go anywhere :(
SE!

Found it from poking around on the store

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I don't recognise the hat, but the dress is the healer set from the first set of Heavensward 60 dungeons. It's the Valarian Shaman set. There are recolours available as vendor gear somewhere in Stormblood.

The hat is the preorder bonus. It's Matoya's hat

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Yeah I found it too! I've preordered that mother fucker like no bodies business.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Renegret posted:

They would have killed it quicker without the drk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Holyshoot posted:

They would have killed it quicker without the drk.

cool!