Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Popete posted:

When a team under performs fans tend to turn on a manager. I'm not saying Maddon is perfect but I don't think you can assign that much of the offense failings to Maddon.

Bryant has been on the DL for a decent chunk of the season and is clearly not himself right now. Rizzo is streaky, Zobrist is a bright spot, Baez is the brightest spot imaginable and basically single handedly carrying this team. Russell is having a really rough year, Happ and Almora are running head long into league adjustments and either they will figure out how to adjust themselves or continue to struggle.

Luckily our starting pitching has been pretty great despite all the struggles and even the bullpen for the most part has been doing it's job.

It feels tough right now but it's good to keep in mind we are still the 1st place team in the NL.

I'm pretty torn on what to do with Joe.

Who gets blame when young players with talent don't develop? Or in fact just regress? Outside of Baez, almost every young hitter has seen their production crater. I don't know if that's just bad luck or on the coaching staff. I really don't know.

The team is barely hanging on to a Central division lead over a Brewers team that is just not nearly as talented on paper. I know injuries have been an excuse, but every team has them. The Brewers lost 40% of their starting staff. Their closer missed a couple months. They've had injuries to hitters all year.

The Cubs have also had the benefit of deep pocketbooks and a savvy GM to fill in for injuries. Hamels has stepped in and done about as well as you could ever hope Darvish to do. Murphy gave them some much needed offense for the first couple weeks of his arrival. And Jesse Chavez has been a godsend for that bullpen. An organization that doesn't have the money the Cubs do would not have been able to get those players and likely be a few games back in the standings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
You always assume some players aren't going to reach their potential, but it is really disconcerting that seemingly every young player the Cubs have has fallen flat this year. Russell's bat still hasn't arrive and now we're staring down the barrel of the reality that it may never. Contreras has lost all of his offense for seemingly no reason, I can only assume he's quietly playing injured because the alternative is pretty grim. Caratini is mediocre in every behind the plate metric (framing, defense, arm strength, etc) and the scouting reports that he's likely to eternally hit an empty .270 with little OBP/SLG to back it up are starting to feel about right. Happ has failed all year to get his K's under control and it's way too easy to beat him in the zone. Ditto Schwarber, who has shown zero progress towards not getting beat by anything in the upper half of the zone. Almora was red hot to start the year but inevitably he wasn't able to sustain a Baez-like BABIP approach while lacking Javy's speed/instincts.

This happening to a handful (hell, even half) of the young core in a year is just baseball. There's always a combination of guys having bad years and guys just not panning out. But when it's 95% of your bats, it deserves a good hard look. The fact is this team is still leading the best division in the NL by WAR despite 4/5ths of their offense under performing, a rotation that didn't figure it out until August, and a bullpen that has collapsed under injury and fatigue. If the Cubs can get even half of these guys right next year, another 2016 where they absolutely run away with the division and are sitting on a double digit lead most of the season is not out of the question.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I think Schwarber is what we expected. His numbers in 2015 were begging for a regression. His 2017 season was unlucky in many ways. I think 2018 is what he is as a hitter. He's a good, not great hitter with power who can't hit lefties. And that's perfectly fine since his defense has actually become a positive. I'll take a guy with a WAR over 3 as the strong side of a platoon.

Never thought Russell would be a good hitter but his dramatic fall as a hitter has been sad. Maybe it's off the field poo poo that he still fucks around with or something else, but he's been a huge disappointment. I hope he decides to focus on baseball this offseason and improve his game.

Almora has been a disappointment as well considering where he was taken. Same for Happ. But those guys at least are still young with under 1000 plate appearances as a pro. If Happ can just drop that K% a bit, he could be a really good hitter in this league. But the direction they've been trending has me concerned that maybe the people in charge of their development at the ML level are failing them.

Bryant is the bizarre one. He's making great contact still but his power has dipped. I don't know if it's injury related (he did see a power dip last year too) or something about his approach. Maybe bad luck. :shrug:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Almora - 24
Happ - 23
Schwarber - 25
Russell - 24

These guys are all still very young, Russell has the most experience in the majors with 4 mostly full years under his belt. There is tons of room for improvement, hell Schwarber missed an entire season due to injury.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I'd go by plate appearances more than age. I think Almora, Happ, and Schwarber can still improve. But I think that window is shutting on Russell. At some point the guy is what he is.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Popete posted:

Almora - 24
Happ - 23
Schwarber - 25
Russell - 24

These guys are all still very young, Russell has the most experience in the majors with 4 mostly full years under his belt. There is tons of room for improvement, hell Schwarber missed an entire season due to injury.

If it was just those four guys, I'd be slightly miffed but accepting. Baseball happens, sometimes guys step back. But it's been every hitter on the team sans Javy, Zobrist, and a rejuvenated Rizzo. You need more than that to carry a team. I don't know who to blame: coaching, management, the players themselves, or the baseball gods. But something needs to change. Again: if even half the core could come online and play up to their ceiling, this team would run away with the division no contest.

Also specifically regarding Russell, he's closing in on 2000 PA's and four years, and has never been an above average hitter during that whole span. The closest he got was 93 wRC+ in 2016, which still puts him worse than league average. I get that he's young but man that excuse has worn paper thin: there are plenty of guys around his age with less PA's putting up better numbers. Barring a complete overhaul of his approach that taps into some hidden ability, I think we just have to live with Russell being this guy.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I vote binnys beverage depot night manager new coach.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Full AB where JD predicted Bryant's homer.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

Offense is down as a whole in 2018 compared to 2017. The home run rate in particular has declined precipitously. In fact, only ten teams have an wRC+ of 100 or more, and the Cubs happen to be at 100.

The Cubs have posted a better offense this year than last year, but right now, the team is posting a wRC+ of 90 in the second half after hitting for 106 in the first half. This is in spite of hitting less than league average in home runs.

I'm wondering if MLB dejuiced the ball but it's only a one-year sample size so far.

By the way, Schwarber isn't the problem. I'll give you the other three players though.

Also, I don't want Girardi or Ferrell. Ferrell was chased out of Boston and now Toronto. You want another retread manager?

Honestly, that's the problem with firing your current manager; your options aren't necessarily better than the one you have. Take a look at the Nationals. The clubhouse was disintegrating under Dave Martinez. I doubt it would've been the same with Dusty Baker as manager.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I’d like to say maybe this is the game where the offense finally turns the corner, but there’s been like 10 games all season where I thought that would happen.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The cubs are just hanging on long enough for the white sox to knock them out of the division lead.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

R.D. Mangles posted:

The cubs are just hanging on long enough for the white sox to knock them out of the division lead.

Going to be weird to see the park actually crowded this weekend.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
N: Kris Bryant has hit .320/.407/.480 (141 wRC+) since coming back from the DL.

V: I think we can stop hand wringing about Bryant now, he's fine.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

They're gonna limp into the Wild Card game, pull off a crazy bullshit win, then win game 5 of the NLDS, game 7 of the NLCS, and game 7 of the World Series while having a negative run differential in every series.

EYBS lives on. :patriot:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sydin posted:

It's his weird swing that has been bothering me. Used to be that the easiest way to beat him was to go inside and either jam or freeze him, but this season he's been doing Baez-esque swings at low and away poo poo in the dirt.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Sydin posted:

He's also had a couple balls that were real close to homers. Believe he hit one off the wall and hit another to like the deepest part of the ballpark the other day. Crossing fingers but it looks like KB is back.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Popete posted:

Almora - 24
Happ - 23
Schwarber - 25
Russell - 24

Absolutely right.

Development isn't linear, yada yada...

The expectation is that every player should get better every year and that's not how things work. Even without everything clicking this season, the Cubs should top 90 wins. I don't see any reason to panic.

If Russell continues to struggle at shortstop, they'll find another solution. If Almora continues to play elite or extremely good defense, then there's no reason to worry about him as a hitter as long as he can stay close to league average (which is above average for a center fielder).

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Was Happ bad defensively at 2nd? I wonder if moving him back to the infield a bit might be best for the team long term as it allows them to play Javy at SS.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Was it yesterday when Russell had two throwing errors back to back? I wasn’t lolling.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Sounds like Morrow is done for the year.

https://twitter.com/ESPNChiCubs/status/1042193600832987136

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Oh well great. This feels just like the Darvish situation all over again, rumors he'll be back in a week and then all of a sudden out for the year.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

It seems like the injury is much more serious than they let on. He said he was feeling pain just doing normal things around the house.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Darvish, Morrow, and Chatwood sure were a great FA pitching haul.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

KDdidit posted:

How do you predict this stuff? You are Theo right now.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

KDdidit posted:

Chatwood was a gamble and Theo lost.

The other two were huge upsides with some red flags.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Why is Ron santo doing play by play. On the score. Just lol

Does pat need that much rest?

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Burt Sexual posted:

I sure hope you mean Ron Coomer.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I sure hope you mean Ron Coomer.

Lol I’m old

E I shook Ryan Sandburgs hand after Saturday’s first pitch. Kids were like who’s that?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3869028

Burt Sexual fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Sep 19, 2018

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Mustached Demon posted:

Chatwood was a gamble and Theo lost.

The other two were huge upsides with some red flags.

Sort of agree on Chatwood. There were a lot of red flags with him and it looks like he's a total loss.

Morrow wasn't a bad signing. He was real good when healthy and they got him at a bit of a discount because of his injury history. Unfortunately that injury bug bit him at a bad time. The Cishek signing was terrific. Same with the pickup of Chavez. Bullpens are a crapshoot and your best approach seems to be take a few shots at guys and hope a couple stick.

We won't be able to answer the Darvish signing for another year or two. The guy has terrific stuff and maybe this was just one of those lost seasons that starters occasionally battle. Worth noting that the Hamels deal was huge for the Cubs and his performance has been about as good as you could have expected Darvish to pitch. And if the Cubs pick up Hamels option next year, they should have the best rotation in baseball by far.

There's some stuff to get on Theo about but I don't think Morrow or Darvish (yet) are fair. The Cubs have been incredibly lucky the past few seasons when it comes to injuries. It's probably harder to deal with because we've gotten so used to that pitching staff being healthy.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Chatwood had the Coors Field veil pulled over his stats. Turned it into a gamble for a 5th spot rather than "oh this guy sucks."

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

oh HELL YEAH the cubs...are BACK

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Burt Sexual posted:

pat always takes the fifth inning off. for awhile, they had coom-dog doing pbp but this year they stopped because, well just listen to the guy, he is a human ham. so this year, they got a third guy who takes over for pat in the fifth inning, but he must have been off. on nationally televised games, they let kasper fill in in the fifth.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

oh HELL YEAH the cubs...are BACK

Until they lose again and we go back into our pit of despair

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Until they lose again and we go back into our pit of despair

oh yeah, the next time the cubs lose then the sky is falling and everyone should be fired

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
lol, like the Cubs will ever lose again now that we have Jason "Veteran Presence" Heyward back on the team.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

oh yeah, the next time the cubs lose then the sky is falling and everyone should be fired

Maddon is an idiot!

Edit: While looking at stats, I saw that Rizzo has a .420 OBP since the ASB.

Bird in a Blender fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Sep 19, 2018

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Looks like the Diamondbacks are sitting most of their starters tonight.

https://twitter.com/Dbacks/status/1042511782487552000

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Watch the Cubs get blown out.

Edit: I don’t like being right.

Bird in a Blender fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Sep 20, 2018

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
KB 4 strikeouts so far. Yeah he’s not back. I gotta go to bed. gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
As someone with experience never ever say someone is back.

• Locked thread