Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

The Browns need to be contracted again for the good of the league

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

DariusLikewise posted:

So why did the Browns have a deadline? Is it because they just immediately shoved him on Waivers?

He's not on waivers it's a trade. They just want him gone clearly and that makes getting a decent return sufficient

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Virgin Jerry trades a first and a third to the lions for Roy Williams. Chad Bill trades a fourth for Randy Moss and a conditional 5th on Josh Gordon.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

DariusLikewise posted:

So why did the Browns have a deadline? Is it because they just immediately shoved him on Waivers?

Because they’re loving idiots.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

sharknado slashfic posted:

there are much bigger problems with the nfl than the browns

schmug
May 20, 2007

axeil posted:

plus i don't buy that there's actually something up with gordon, it's just hue being an idiot.

have you followed this guy at all?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

DariusLikewise posted:

He wouldn't go to waivers, just straight FA. I think they were on a deadline because, as much as anything, they said they were cutting him

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
But it is funny the Pats are trying to solve their WR issues with Cleveland Brown cast-offs.

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1041785034125070336

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

sharknado slashfic posted:

Should have never been brought back

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
Seriously? No one wanted to pony up more than a "conditional" 5th? The league is seriously going to take the chance of Tom Brady having access to a legitimate #1 receiver again?
gently caress everything. Meanwhile, Josh Allen is getting murdered hoping Kelvin Benjamin won't dog it and can actually generate some modicum of separation.

Real talk though: it should be a good landing spot for Josh Gordon. It's a tough, regimented place, but it will look out for him, and if he can hack it, catching passes from Tom Brady is a going to go a long way towards getting him a big contract in two years.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Play posted:

He's not on waivers it's a trade. They just want him gone clearly and that makes getting a decent return sufficient

Yeah but they did something where he needed to be traded today before 4PM or he was a free agent. I'd imagine they could have done better if they didn't give themselves a deadline for no reason.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Please put him in number 81.....Not that number 81, but you know, the one who isn't dead.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I'm happy for josh

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

DariusLikewise posted:

If we actually released him because of some quirk about his roster bullshit he would've gone straight to FA and not subject to waivers. After seeing the compensation I think Dorsey has been quietly shopping him for a while and this was a last ditch attempt to get the price up.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Gordon is a huge bust risk... but he also costs virtually nothing, so someone in the NFC should have matched the Pats offer and gotten him instead.

Just lol

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Quiet storm no :ohdear:

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

Seriously? No one wanted to pony up more than a "conditional" 5th? The league is seriously going to take the chance of Tom Brady having access to a legitimate #1 receiver again?

oh the league is more than happy with this

schmug
May 20, 2007

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

gently caress everything. Meanwhile, Josh Allen is getting murdered hoping Kelvin Benjamin won't dog it and can actually generate some modicum of separation.

Real talk though: it should be a good landing spot for Josh Gordon. It's a tough, regimented place, but it will look out for him, and if he can hack it, catching passes from Tom Brady is a going to go a long way towards getting him a big contract in two years.

I give him three weeks and he;s gone

DariusLikewise posted:

Yeah but they did something where he needed to be traded today before 4PM or he was a free agent. I'd imagine they could have done better if they didn't give themselves a deadline for no reason.

they just wanted him gone and set a deadline. there was no real time table.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Not to mention it will inevitably be a very late 5th rounder.

It's basically a 6th round pick

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

axeil posted:

any picks after the 4th are pretty much lottery tickets so they're worthless in comparison to an actual talented player. plus i don't buy that there's actually something up with gordon, it's just hue being an idiot.

I get it, but there's very little chance he plays even a game based on prior history, and for more money than a 5th round pick would cost.

XPosting but I have no loving idea what the NFL is doing here with regards to Clay Matthews getting a roughing the passer call that wiped out a game winning INT.

News:

Views:
can see the tackle here made by matthews

adaz fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Sep 17, 2018

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
The NFL has so, so, so many stupid loving idiots running teams. What a dumb league

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

It's not a big deal.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Pederson said the Eagles are looking for a veteran WR.

It's gonna be Dez maclin after all, isn't it?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

And they get a brown's 7th, which is also basically a 6th round pick, if he doesn't play at least 10 games. They're going to effectively get him for free.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Browns can’t even trade right.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
This lottery ticket will cost the difference in value between a late 5th and an early 7th.

30 TEAMS: OH NOES THE RISK
:patssay: LOL

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

this turned into an int but lol

https://i.giphy.com/media/7FgDZdIxP4z9A9AF77/giphy.webp

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

axeil posted:

any picks after the 4th are pretty much lottery tickets so they're worthless in comparison to an actual talented player. plus i don't buy that there's actually something up with gordon, it's just hue being an idiot.

yes the dude who got a DUI while in the middle of a 2 year suspension for substance abuse does not have issues

and this was before hue jackson was even the coach!

for fucks sake hes only played like 7 games for hue over 2 1/8 seasons

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Bigass Moth posted:

Browns can’t even trade right.

I'd argue that its addition by subtraction but it is Josh gordon were taking about

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Billy Five Aces strikes again!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Would you rather have Josh Gordon, or Gosh Jordan.

schmug
May 20, 2007

exploded mummy posted:

yes the dude who got a DUI while in the middle of a 2 year suspension for substance abuse does not have issues

and this was before hue jackson was even the coach!

for fucks sake hes only played like 7 games for hue over 2 1/8 seasons

but, but...browns are dumb, don't you get it?

which is in fact true, but not for this reason.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Bill doesn’t give a gently caress and is a cranky old man who can half rear end it. Give Brady the O line and just enough and they’ll dominate.

That being said I am glad he’s on a good team with an elite QB throwing to him. I hope it spurs a fire under him to put up HOF WR numbers and win a bowl....a super bowl...full of weed. I hope we see some amazing awesome poo poo.

The biggest Football regrets I have is players like Alex Mack, Joe Thomas, and Phil Dawson who are great don’t have rings to round out their careers.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
High reward very low risk hey good thanks Cleveland

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

89 posted:

Pederson said the Eagles are looking for a veteran WR.

It's gonna be Dez maclin after all, isn't it?

#BringBackMac

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I wouldn't cut a WR off a roster for a dude who I assume doesn't play special teams and is like 80% going to gently caress up and be done in the near future unless the back of my WR room was just complete replaceable dogshit. So yeah the Pats make sense I guess.

I think you guys are vastly overestimating the number of teams that would do the above

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/ruiterwrongfan/status/1041785977189134336?s=21

Sent from my iPad
Jun 19, 2000

Tim Whatley posted:

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1041786232366358529

Sorry everybody the Patriots offer of a conditional fifth round pick was too good to pass up
It's completely irresponsible for the league to allow the Browns to continue to exist.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Lessail posted:

there are much bigger problems with the nfl than the browns

Oh, word?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
the nfl is the only league where 5th-round-picks are considered significant assets

• Locked thread