Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Office Pig posted:

The Trump thread (vanilla USPOL really) has been irretrievable for years, although you can be forgiven for believing Trump had shaken the dynamics.

ANYWAY
https://twitter.com/ryangrim/status/1041757093022392321?s=21

:lol:

HootTheOwl posted:

Speaking of, are you people still convinced he's secretly running?

:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Time makes fools of us all. Especially fools.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
So, yes?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I don't think he's 'secretly running' but I do think he and his ilk are actively working to ensure that any looming progressive push can be held back by entrenched status quo like him

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

just laughing that you're still reflexively defending the scumbag

it's pretty funny

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Condiv posted:

just laughing that you're still reflexively defending the scumbag

it's pretty funny

:thunk:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Trabisnikof posted:

I think the fact that "centrists" are more likely to slam the report button constantly is a big part of why some people feel like the moderation is biased in that thread. A thousand wails go out whenever someone mentions the ACA negotiations but idk if people do the same when someone posts something "good dems".

that's likely the case. i can't imagine ever actually reporting a post.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
https://twitter.com/WalkerBragman/status/1041797176609914887

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

"Do you loving people still think that this guy who refuses to take himself off the ballot despite multiple opportunities to do so, is running?" I say as I disappear up my own smug rear end in a top hat.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Describing a man with his name on the ballot as 'secretly running' is weird. He's openly running. That's why we have the ballot: to tell us who is running. That way we don't have to guess who is running and write in all the candidates.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Like, he is literally running. Definitionally.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Yeah, Crowley is by definition "running" and I don't get how you can argue otherwise.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

"Do you loving people still think that this guy who refuses to take himself off the ballot despite multiple opportunities to do so, is running?" I say as I disappear up my own smug rear end in a top hat.

no but you see he said he couldn't get off the ballot

never mind the fact that was a total lie, i need to rush in here and defend him unprompted!

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

HootTheOwl posted:

Speaking of, are you people still convinced he's secretly running?

He's still on the ballot, so there's nothing secret about it :twisted:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Condiv posted:

no but you see he said he couldn't get off the ballot

never mind the fact that was a total lie, i need to rush in here and defend him
Again: what?

quote:

unprompted!
What?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

HootTheOwl posted:

Again: what?

What?

what aren't you getting? would you like me to link the definition of unprompted for you? has obsessing over trump's every tweet melted your brain?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It doesn't really matter whether he can get off the ballot or not. If he is on the ballot, he is running. That is inherent in being on the ballot, that is the purpose served by the ballot. You can be dead and still be running for election if you die after the ballots are printed.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Condiv posted:

what aren't you getting? would you like me to link the definition of unprompted for you? has obsessing over trump's every tweet melted you brain?

I'm getting at that I'm not defending him and that bringing up "Trump thread when AOC won" is a prompt for "Crowley is trying to ratfuck her" chat. What do you think unprompted means?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

HootTheOwl posted:

I'm getting at that I'm not defending him and that bringing up "Trump thread when AOC won" is a prompt for "Crowley is trying to ratfuck her" chat. What do you think unprompted means?

you realize there's 2 weeks of daylight between those events right? she didn't immediately accuse crowley of trying to ratfuck her or something. so yeah, bringing up "do you guys still think crowley is secretly running :smug:" was unprompted

and yes, of course you're defending crowley. that's why you present the false narrative that he's not running as truth

why don't you go try to soothe yourself by masturbating to some trump tweets

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

:nallears:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

it should be legal for everyone who worked for her to just loot her house whenever they have expenses come up, both as penance for bringing us Trump and just as principle for how we should treat the wealthy

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich
It feels about the point in the cycle where concerns that maybe I'm just disgusted by phantoms of my mind, and then my hate and anger are reassured when a fiscally conservative socially inclusive liberal parades their totally anti-racist pro-eugenics views to own the cons. Extra points if Obama's horrible views and terrible policies double crossing primary voters were all forced upon him by Republicans in the 90s.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Being unreasonably fair, there's approximately 0% chance that HRC wrote that tweet herself, so this is basically one of HRC's current staffers begging for money for a former HRC staffer's medical expenses. I can see how the stake there might be a touch personal.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Oh if you're trying to argue that Crowley isn't intending to ratfuck AOC just argue that, you don't have to try to spin ridiculous sophistries about how you can accept the nomination and get your name on the ballot and somehow not be running for election.

Getting off the ballot is simple, legal, and happens all the time in NY State when a third party trying to run a fusion ticket fucks up and bets on the wrong winner. All it takes is the candidate's consent and the WFP does the rest; refusing to consent to the procedure to remove one's name from the ballot is good cause to believe there's intent to ratfuck the nominee but it doesn't matter what Crowley intends deep within his most secret heart of hearts anyway, because he made a pledge to support her candidacy wholeheartedly to the best of his ability and refusing to vacate the nomination of the WFP when it wants to support her is clearly not living up to his pledge.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Sep 17, 2018

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

VitalSigns posted:

Oh if you're trying to argue that Crowley isn't intending to ratfuck AOC just argue that, you don't have to try to spin ridiculous sophistries about how you can accept the nomination and get your name on the ballot and somehow not be running for election.

Getting off the ballot is simple, legal, and happens all the time in NY State when a third party trying to run a fusion ticket fucks up and bets on the wrong winner. All it takes is the candidate's consent and the WFP does the rest; refusing to consent to the procedure to remove one's name from the ballot is good cause to believe there's intent to ratfuck the nominee but it doesn't matter what Crowley intends deep within his most secret heart of hearts anyway, because he made a pledge to support her candidacy wholeheartedly and refusing to vacate the nomination of the WFP when it wants to support her is clearly not living up to his pledge.

we're talking about a guy who thought AOC started raising a fuss about crowley staying on the WFP ticket the day she won

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Probably not worth discussing since HtO is obviously just here to make snide comments and insinuations while ignoring arguments he can't answer, but I do find it interesting that even he isn't attempting to defend Crowley stubbornly clinging to the WFP nomination despite his pledge and the wishes of the Working Families Party itself (naturally, as it is of course indefensible) so he just defines the whole problem out of existence with an act of doublethink.

The ballot is just a meaningless scrap of paper, an arbitrarily chosen list of names signifying nothing, could be anyone's names really, certainly not a list of people in the running for political office one of whom will be selected by a plurality of votes! Because it is in this moment convenient for the Party to believe this. And presently we shall believe the opposite, like when someone says "if it's meaningless why not just agree to withdraw", oh because that would mean nominating Crowley on another ballot, and then he'd inevitably be running for a position he doesn't want because that's what it means to be on the ballot. Because it is in that moment convenient for the Party to believe that.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
So no act is too much contrition for someone who loses a primary to show to remove themselves from the race.

I expect to hear about your passionate calls for Cynthia Nixon to be exiled from New York state to prevent her ratfucking Cuomo any day now.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Not running on a spoiler ticket isn't an unreasonably high bar.

And we can be 100% certain of that because Crowley pledged not to do it, unprompted and unilaterally, in the primary and demanded a reciprocal pledge in return.

Of course that's using the discredited 19th-Century idea of ""objective reality"", with doublethink we can with an elementary mental effort believe simultaneously that it's both a baseline expectation in a political race (for our opponents) and an incomprehensibly onerous punishment akin to exile (if we unexpectedly have to live up to it ourselves)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Fulchrum posted:

So no act is too much contrition for someone who loses a primary to show to remove themselves from the race.

I expect to hear about your passionate calls for Cynthia Nixon to be exiled from New York state to prevent her ratfucking Cuomo any day now.

literally the bar is 'don't try to run on the ticket after losing', that's exactly where it's at. Him getting the Queens post is lame but whatever that's expected of the slimeballs, but yes him being on the ballot, even if it won't mean anything, is a pretty big slap in the face move that serves no purpose other than going 'gently caress you, uppity leftist woman'.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I love how delightfully insane the hyperbolic defenses of Crowley's shittery are.

:geno: "Hey could you sign this thing to withdraw from the race you say you don't want to run in anymore"
:kingsley:"What you want to exile him from the land and turn him out into the wilderness, you monsters! Who are you coming for next! :derp::derp:"

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich
My brain liquefied in USPOL vanilla, and I think I committed some class war crimes.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

sexpig by night posted:

literally the bar is 'don't try to run on the ticket after losing', that's exactly where it's at. Him getting the Queens post is lame but whatever that's expected of the slimeballs, but yes him being on the ballot, even if it won't mean anything, is a pretty big slap in the face move that serves no purpose other than going 'gently caress you, uppity leftist woman'.

He was on the ticket for the other party before the election. Try to at least figure out dates before you start screaming about conspiracies.

VitalSigns posted:

I love how delightfully insane the hyperbolic defenses of Crowley's shittery are.

:geno: "Hey could you sign this thing to withdraw from the race you say you don't want to run in anymore"
:kingsley:"What you want to exile him from the land and turn him out into the wilderness, you monsters! Who are you coming for next! :derp::derp:"

The "thing to sign" being either a declaration of electoral fraud, his own death certificate, or a permanent change of address form to a place outside of New York. Because those are literally the only three ways that it is possible for him to be removed from the ballot. Though I know you like to ignore that objective reality because it gets in the way of your persecution complex.

Though I do like your classism that anything outside of New York is just wilderness with no cities.

So, again, I await the calls for Cynthia Nixon leave New York, or commit fraud, just to prevent her ratfucking Cuomo.

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Sep 18, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Fulchrum posted:

He was on the ticket for the other party before the election. Try to at least figure out dates before you start screaming about conspiracies.

The "thing to sign" being either a declaration of electoral fraud, his own death certificate, or a permanent change of address form to a place outside of New York. Because those are literally the only three ways that it is possible for him to be removed from the ballot. Though I know you like to ignore that objective reality because it gets in the way of your persecution complex.

Though I do like your classism that anything outside of New York is just wilderness with no cities.

So, again, I await the calls for Cynthia Nixon leave New York, or commit fraud, just to prevent her ratfucking Cuomo.

He literally does not live in New York. And can easily change it back later. This is absolutely trivial.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ghost Leviathan posted:

He literally does not live in New York. And can easily change it back later. This is absolutely trivial.

Yes, he legally does live in New York. And changing his address would prevent him from running in politics for at least a decade. All to satisfy a raging persecution complex that by definition would not be assuaged by this in any way.

You know whats even more trivial? Just letting it go.

Fulchrum fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Sep 18, 2018

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Fulchrum posted:

The "thing to sign" being either a declaration of electoral fraud
Note that in this, as in all things, Fulchrum is absolutely brimming with horseshit.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Fulchrum posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/12/nyregion/ocasio-cortez-crowley-twitter.html

quote:

The party wanted to put her on its line in November, and had asked Mr. Crowley to vacate the line by running for another office that he had no intention of occupying and little chance of winning, whether a county clerkship or state legislative post. But Mr. Lipton said the Crowley campaign declined to work with them on the maneuver.
There are no residency requirements, however, for some offices, and election lawyers say Mr. Crowley could put his name in nomination for any number of positions.

https://www.vox.com/2018/7/12/17564576/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-joe-crowley-twitter-ballot-new-york

quote:

“If they nominated for him the Assembly or the state Senate or an office like that, and he consented to it, he could get off the ballot,” said New York-based election lawyer Jerry Goldfeder in an interview with Vox.

In a state with so many third-party candidates, this can be confusing. In fact, Ocasio-Cortez recently received the write-in nomination to be the Reform Party candidate ... in a completely different district she wasn’t running in.

As the New York Times’s Lisa W. Foderaro pointed out, the thinking here would be for WFP to nominate Crowley for a seat that he’d have little-to-no chance of winning, “like a county clerkship in a region of the state dominated by the other party.” Some positions don’t have residency requirements, and a lawyer for the Working Families Party says it should be easy for Crowley to do this.

“I respect Congressman Crowley’s concerns, but there are common, straightforward and legal ways to remove candidates from the ballot in cases like this,” said WFP counsel Alex Rabb in a statement. “There are offices around the state for which the Congressmember could be nominated. The New York State Court of Appeals has found that it is standard for parties to substitute candidates after a primary election, and that the practice does not violate the letter or the spirit of the law.

I guess every election lawyer in New York, along with the New York State Court of Appeals are all part of the BernieBro conspiracy to make Crowley look bad

Fulchrum posted:

I do call on Cynthia to fulfill whatever pledges she made during the primary wrt running a third-party spoiler ticket

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Sep 18, 2018

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

Note that in this, as in all things, Fulchrum is absolutely brimming with horseshit.
He's my rock. My beautiful star, no matter where I am or what I'm feeling, I can look at what he's saying and know that as long my intuition is saying he's wrong and terrible, I'm not totally lost.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

Probably not worth discussing since HtO is obviously just here to make snide comments and insinuations while ignoring arguments he can't answer, but I do find it interesting that even he isn't attempting to defend Crowley stubbornly clinging to the WFP nomination despite his pledge and the wishes of the Working Families Party itself (naturally, as it is of course indefensible) so he just defines the whole problem out of existence with an act of doublethink.

My understanding of posts like HtO's is that they basically view leftists in the same way we might view conservatives or something; they "know" that we're wrong and dumb, and just post things that mock or make vague negative insinuations about the left (in the same way we might want to mock a dumb conservative or some of the worst centrist figures).

Fulchrum posted:

Yes, he legally does live in New York. And changing his address would prevent him from running in politics for at least a decade. All to satisfy a raging persecution complex that by definition would not be assuaged by this in any way.

The most reasonable way to deal with it would be to have him on the ballot for some random office he has no chance of winning, and doing that isn't "fraud."

This sort of thing actually matters more in this situation than it might in others, because Crowley was the incumbent and it isn't impossible that people would go to the polls and just assume he's the Democratic candidate because they're familiar with his name and voted for him previously. While it's unlikely to make a difference in this case, it could absolutely make a difference if the race were closer in the general election, so this sort of thing needs to be condemned.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Sep 18, 2018

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Also lol I just found out how Crowley got his seat in the first place
https://www.villagevoice.com/2017/06/19/the-most-powerful-democrat-in-queens-must-finally-compete/

quote:

In the summer of 1998, Tom Manton of Queens shocked the city’s insular political world by announcing his retirement from Congress. Manton, then 65, had petitioned to get on the ballot and showed all signs of wanting to run for another term. Aging politicians in his shoes usually said publicly, much earlier in the primary process, that they weren’t running again and endorsed a favored successor. Even in machine-driven New York, this was how the game was played.

But Manton, the chairman of the Queens County Democratic Party, was a county leader par excellence. He wasn’t about to allow something like democracy to break out in his borough. By waiting so late to make his announcement, Manton ensured only one elected official could compete in the Democratic primary to replace him. Since petitions had already been circulated, a candidate needed to be picked by a committee within the Queens Democratic Party that, of course, Manton exercised absolute control over. The committee met secretly, not allowing other elected officials to submit their names for consideration.

By eleven o’clock on the morning of July 22, 36-year-old Joe Crowley, the newly minted Democratic nominee, was on his way to Congress. Politicians in Queens were aghast.

“Had I known about the meeting, I would have put my name in,” a Queens city councilman named Walter McCaffrey complained to the New York Times. “Having been one of the people who helped elect Tom, and having been his chief of staff, it is a disappointment.”

Manton didn’t care. Crowley, then an assemblyman, was his protégé, and he would eventually hand over the Queens Democratic machine to a man he treated like a son.

https://www.nytimes.com/1998/07/22/nyregion/manton-plans-to-retire-from-congress-at-end-of-year.html

quote:

Under state election rules, Mr. Manton's replacement on the Democratic line had to be selected by a committee within the Queens County Democratic Party. At Mr. Manton's urging, that committee selected Mr. Crowley at 11 o'clock this morning -- minutes before other potential candidates were even notified of Mr. Manton's announcement.

Yeah this Crowley guy is really the type to have deep-seated convictions about the spirit of democracy and the integrity of the ballot lmao

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Sep 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ytlaya posted:

The most reasonable way to deal with it would be to have him on the ballot for some random office he has no chance of winning, and doing that isn't "fraud."

This sort of thing actually matters more in this situation than it might in others, because Crowley was the incumbent and it isn't impossible that people would go to the polls and just assume he's the Democratic candidate because they're familiar with his name and voted for him previously. While it's unlikely to make a difference in this case, it could absolutely make a difference if the race were closer in the general election, so this sort of thing needs to be condemned.

No, the most reasonable way to deal with it is to remember he's not running, has no plans to run, and has taken no actions to indicate he may run, and take a goddamn reality check. Asking him to lie to the voters is not a reasonable way to do it. However, that would not satisfy leftists desire for a spiteful penalty inflicted upon Crowley, so that pretty simple solution just gets ignored.

You're seem to be basing this on the likelihood that Cortez cannot manage to beat a man who is doing absolutely nothing to run and who you think would win on name recognition alone. Despite, you know, her already beating him in the primary where he had name recognition, incumbency, AND was actively campaigning (really half assedly, but still more than he will be here).

• Locked thread