Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

yeah poo poo is just on the ground

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
If you know where to go you can get a Daedric weapon like 20 minutes into the game. That weapon can basically carry you to other places with really valuable stuff, and you can sell those and get money to throw at trainers.

If you don't mind doing that stuff Morrowind is the easiest TES game by far.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I started up Morrowind a couple months back deciding that I wasn't going to go for any of the power items, I was just going to fast travel to some corner of the island and walk in one direction, exploring whatever I found.

There was nowhere I could go that I didn't wind up decked out in high level gear within minutes.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

morrowind is super easy but i wouldnt recommend it to anybody who doesnt want to spend hours bumbling around completely unaware of:
-steal the limeware platter in the census office and then put it on the ground immediately, get yelled at by the guard, pick it back up
-take the healing ring and give it to fargoth
-sell the limeware platter to arrile
-hobble towards tarhiel so you can have a cool hat
-take the seyda neen silt strider to balmora
-join the mages guild immediately
-buy a resist magicka spell
-spellmake a resist magicka 100% 1 second spell
-join the fighters guild and buy the dwemer jinkblade
-teleport to the vivec mages guild
-take the gondolas to the temple
-buy a levitation potion from the priestess
-get the blessing to stop the moon
-get to caldera and then find and murder the lady with boots of blinding speed
-put the loving boots on
-now you can start the game

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

dont forget about finding and killing the tax murderer before informing the census and excise office so you can keep the found tax money in addition to getting a reward.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Sky Shadowing posted:

If you know where to go you can get a Daedric weapon like 20 minutes into the game. That weapon can basically carry you to other places with really valuable stuff, and you can sell those and get money to throw at trainers.

If you don't mind doing that stuff Morrowind is the easiest TES game by far.

My start was always to beeline it to Balmora and steal the Sword of White Woe. It's kind of fiddly, but you can steal right from under the nose of the guard who is standing right next to it whose job is, presumably, to prevent anyone from stealing the Sword of White Woe.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

^^^ MY MAN ^^^

lmao, just simply lmao, if you don't immediately walk into the Balmora armor store, jump onto the crate on your left and clip slightly into the ceiling so that you're technically out of bounds and you can take the dreugh and bonemold armor to sell to the khajiit across the street

another pro moves is to steal White Woe from the eastern guard tower, hop across the rooftops to the cornerclub, join the thieves guild, and then drop all of your money in front of the bartender to remove your bounty for free

I have done the beginning stages of morrowind a lot

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

I almost always use the dwemer jinkblade to murder that one guard on dren plantation with the daedric dai-katana and use that until i get the spear of bitter mercy

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I pick up a probe and some kind of ghost hitting weapon at arrilles, hop over to the ancestral tomb next to scyda neen hitting up the dead taxman on the way so I can get the mentors ring then loop back for tarheil. Ideally collecting all of ajira's mushrooms on the way. The flowers are generally in the random crates in Balmora, turn those two in, pop over to caldera with pockets full of exceptional potions and whatnot from the crates pawn them off on creeper and then steal the alchemy set. I then generally hit the clothing store and spend at least as much time as all that took picking out a robe.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

r i p taxman, thought of spines and died

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
needs more reticulated splines

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
after loving around with vanilla morrowind, there is no way in hell I am ever playing this game with the default walking speed. It's frickin ridiculous. The worst is when you think "oh I must be walking" but then you press the walk button and then you move somehow even slower.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

when i start morrowind these days i try real hard to not just do the same thing i always do. last time i didn't even steal the limeware platter.

also my last attempt was a permadeath playthrough. i streamed this. it ended poorly due to unnecessary risks: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/203790930

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
I assume I知 the only one who likes the default walking. It makes you take your time and enjoy the scenery :shobon:

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

when i start morrowind these days i try real hard to not just do the same thing i always do. last time i didn't even steal the limeware platter.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

raminasi posted:

I assume I知 the only one who likes the default walking. It makes you take your time and enjoy the scenery :shobon:

Yes

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

I like the default walkspeed which is actually starting speed + the steed sign bonus + boots of blinding speed

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

raminasi posted:

:same:

i do usually train athletics up to 50 or so when i get the chance, but the walking speed never bugged me much. this is also why i never use the boots of blinding speed. boots of the apostle all the way, baby.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Have any of you joined the Morag Tong in Vivec? Taking the Strider to Vivec and walking all the way there and back is like a straight up 15 minute endeavor.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I hate the walking speed but I usually don't bother going after the boots immediately and other things. I just tough it out until my stats take care of it themselves or I make my own Go Fast button.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Have any of you joined the Morag Tong in Vivec? Taking the Strider to Vivec and walking all the way there and back is like a straight up 15 minute endeavor.

lol no it isn't, it's like 3 minutes tops from the silt strider port or from the temple canton and after you join you can accept writs from any of the guild halls if that backbreaking less-than-5-minute trek is really that big a deal to you

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I usually make a super high level perma levitate shoe asap which takes care of movement speed anyway. Makes mourn hold suck tho

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I've never completed the quest line but I've definitely joined and done some quests. I also abuse the coc console command.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

jit bull transpile posted:

I usually make a super high level perma levitate shoe asap which takes care of movement speed anyway. Makes mourn hold suck tho

same but i make a belt so i can keep the boots of blinding speed bonus

and i'm doing the morag tong quests again this playthrough

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

raminasi posted:

Count me in. I never mod walking speed in any ES game, and I turn off auto/always run where I have to. I like to walk and take it slow. There's enough in game ways to make walking speed faster that modding it seems silly.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

raminasi posted:

Nothing ever stays fun if you have to do it. I want to option to stop and look at the scenery because I like doing it, but when I don't want to do it or don't care, the slow walking speed is not doing me any favors.

That being said, it's not that big of a problem due to the dozens of ways to move around faster than the default movement speed, but I wouldn't look down on anyone for installing a sprint mod or whatever lol

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i mean, the real answer is to abuse intervention and mark and recall to get around the world, especially once you learn where things are so if you want to go to a certain city from anywhere in the world you can just intervention your way to it or to somewhere with a boat/guild guide/silt strider that goes there. unless you want to go to like, ald velothi i guess.

i actually really fuckin love that morrowind doesn't have generic fast travel. forcing your options to be what they are in the game makes you pay a hell of a lot more attention to the world layout if you want to get around efficiently and made me feel a lot more connected to it. compare that to skyrim, where i couldn't tell you where fuckin anything is because you have absolutely no incentive to learn how the world is laid out when you can just click your way to wherever you want.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Sep 17, 2018

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Multimark is a must have mod for me.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

raminasi posted:

I do this. In mw you truly start out complete garbage tier and that's how I likes it

I HATE vanilla leveling though. the coins x5 thing was cool when it came out but honestly it's like bartering, just tedious extra complexity for no reason

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i mean, the real answer is to abuse intervention and mark and recall to get around the world, especially once you learn where things are so if you want to go to a certain city from anywhere in the world you can just intervention your way to it or to somewhere with a boat/guild guide/silt strider that goes there. unless you want to go to like, ald velothi i guess.

i actually really fuckin love that morrowind doesn't have generic fast travel. forcing your options to be what they are in the game makes you pay a hell of a lot more attention to the world layout if you want to get around efficiently and made me feel a lot more connected to it. compare that to skyrim, where i couldn't tell you where fuckin anything is because you have absolutely no incentive to learn how the world is laid out when you can just click your way to wherever you want.

Once you learn the Morrowind fast travel system though you can effectively get to any House, Temple, or Imperial settlement very quickly, with the sole exception of Ald Velothi (and Tel Vos too I guess but that doesn't really count because Vos is right next to it.)

Even Pelagiad is accessible instantly because it has Divine Intervention and Seyda Neen is close enough. Getting out is just a matter of Almsivi to get to Balmora.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I do this. In mw you truly start out complete garbage tier and that's how I likes it

I HATE vanilla leveling though. the coins x5 thing was cool when it came out but honestly it's like bartering, just tedious extra complexity for no reason

i always wait to get level ups naturally and then seek out trainers to ensure i got x5 on 2 attributes (with the last point always going into luck).

i also always prioritize endurance since that affects your hp gain per level, which i always start with low hp as i favor magic use especially early on. once endurance is at 100 i just go for whatever.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

raminasi posted:

I interpret it as sort of like the way the towns are talked about as too-small representations of larger spaces. The mix of an actually quite small island, short view distances, and really slow movement combine to be a representation of walking over a larger fog-shrouded island.

I dropped a Mark by Eno Hlaalu for the duration of the faction's quests.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vavrek posted:

I interpret it as sort of like the way the towns are talked about as too-small representations of larger spaces. The mix of an actually quite small island, short view distances, and really slow movement combine to be a representation of walking over a larger fog-shrouded island.

ah yes the pokemon explanation

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Vavrek posted:

i think i read somewhere that vvardenfell in-game is only one tenth the size that it is supposed to be, and the towns are only one tenth their size as well (which makes sense, vivec is supposed to be ginormous but in-game it's really not).

i can't decide if i'd actually want a morrowind with an accurately proportioned vvardenfell though. oh who am i kidding, of course i would.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

Yeah, :same:. Learning how to navigate the world through the in-world travel options lends it a far greater sense of place, which is a huge deal for Elder Scrolls games.

I didn't touch fast travel in Skyrim and think my experience was overall better for it, despite the limited in-world travel options and having to trek up to High Hrothgar a million times.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Sep 18, 2018

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i think i read somewhere that vvardenfell in-game is only one tenth the size that it is supposed to be, and the towns are only one tenth their size as well (which makes sense, vivec is supposed to be ginormous but in-game it's really not).

i can't decide if i'd actually want a morrowind with an accurately proportioned vvardenfell though. oh who am i kidding, of course i would.

Ten times for one dimension, perhaps, meaning 100 times as large.

I mean, Balmora is supposed to be a large town. It has about 40 buildings in total, and less than 100 people in it. Multiplies that to 4 000 buildings and nearly 10 000, and you get something that could realistically look like a largish medievalish town. (Town, not city, by the way.)

Of course there's no way the engine could realistically handle a world of this scale, and without procedural generation to speed things up there was no way the dev team could have feasibly created it. And let's be honest, 99% of the world and population would be fully irrelevant to the average playthrough. So for a game world, they made the right choice to shrink it down to theme-park dimensions.

I think there was a crazy project to remake Morrowind (in its own engine) with a 30x30 map scale. So to reuse my example, Balmora would end up with around 36 000 buildings and over 80 000 NPCs. I don't think this ever went very far...

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Cat Mattress posted:

Ten times for one dimension, perhaps, meaning 100 times as large.

I mean, Balmora is supposed to be a large town. It has about 40 buildings in total, and less than 100 people in it. Multiplies that to 4 000 buildings and nearly 10 000, and you get something that could realistically look like a largish medievalish town. (Town, not city, by the way.)

Of course there's no way the engine could realistically handle a world of this scale, and without procedural generation to speed things up there was no way the dev team could have feasibly created it. And let's be honest, 99% of the world and population would be fully irrelevant to the average playthrough. So for a game world, they made the right choice to shrink it down to theme-park dimensions.

I think there was a crazy project to remake Morrowind (in its own engine) with a 30x30 map scale. So to reuse my example, Balmora would end up with around 36 000 buildings and over 80 000 NPCs. I don't think this ever went very far...

Speaking of big towns, about how many buildings and NPCs are in Old Ebonheart (in its current state,) Mr. Testicle?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i always wait to get level ups naturally and then seek out trainers to ensure i got x5 on 2 attributes (with the last point always going into luck).

i also always prioritize endurance since that affects your hp gain per level, which i always start with low hp as i favor magic use especially early on. once endurance is at 100 i just go for whatever.

state based hp + madd leveler

It took a long time for the needless grognard style crunch to evaporate off of the ES

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

can you imagine what a hellhole vivec would be to get around if it had 10x the number of cantons? The only way it could be sane is if the cantons were redesigned to be livable spaces for actual people and not powerful mage lords with 100pt levitate + fortify speed 100 constant effects

imo they should shoot for realistic sized cities in one of these games. Fuckin nut up and admit that the majority of people are just uninteresting scrub tiers with nothing going on in their lives. It'd be really interesting because you could be a thief and escape into the crowds or you could be a hosed up vampire necromancer living in the sewers and preying on the living for power or whatever. You could get jobs & quests that interact with an actual city. They'd have to do a shitload of writing and development on it to make it feel right though.

I think Mjoll the Lioness represents more than 1% of the population of Riften.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Towns In Video Games All Bein Smaller Than Real Towns Be was not a particularly exciting insight 20 years ago and still isn't!!

The small compared to other games Morrowind map is kind of funny now though. It felt so massive back in the day. Keep that fog on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
but mah CHIM