Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

nice to see stuff from you again, Sludge Tank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

IMG_0544.jpg by Kevin Strzalka, on Flickr

IMG_0673.jpg by Kevin Strzalka, on Flickr

IMG_0888.jpg by Kevin Strzalka, on Flickr

Not quite sure what caused the halo-like effect on that last shot, not that I'm complaining.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've never seen Reynisdrangar from that angle, so good job doing something sorta unique with an Iceland feature that sees a billion photographers.

I always assume halos like that are from a bad job processing but if there's a lot of spray in the air I guess it can cause the same look.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
It was misting/raining quite a bit that morning (thankfully the only real time we got rained on during our entire trip), so maybe it's from that. I'm also brand new to post-processing, so it could easily be that as well.

Keeping the lens free from moisture was an interesting adventure. This trip was my first real outing with an actual camera, so I had to improvise a lot of things on the fly that I'm sure more seasoned travelers would have no issue with. I'm certain that just having only two kit lenses hurt me a bit, so I need to start to figure out what types of photos I want to take to start planning future lens purchases.

Shapur
Apr 2, 2010

oh ya.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Ornate by Andrew Burns, on Flickr

Wall by Andrew Burns, on Flickr

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Paradise Cove by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Newport Ready Mix by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Murals by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

The Oregon Connection by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense

grey day at the beach

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Is Kodak gold 200 always this grainy, or is it probably just expired? Anyways, here's some landscapes and interiors.

AA016A by Cody P, on Flickr

AA006A by Cody P, on Flickr

AA003A by Cody P, on Flickr

AA024A by Cody P, on Flickr

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Cloverdale by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Tillamook Air Museum by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Whalen Island by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Cameras by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

CodfishCartographer posted:

Is Kodak gold 200 always this grainy, or is it probably just expired? Anyways, here's some landscapes and interiors.

Both.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
Get up on your feet and do the Funky Alfonzo

Sick

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Lankster NZ
Jul 21, 2007

mmm very nice

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Lankster NZ posted:

mmm very nice

I really like both of these. I may be a poo poo photographer and/or may not be shooting the right subjects, but I feel like there's something in the colors or lighting (or something I can't quite pinpoint) of these that I find particularly pleasing but haven't been able to achieve in my own photos. If you don't mind me asking, have you two made any noteworthy edits to these?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Lankster NZ
Jul 21, 2007

pseudorandom posted:

I really like both of these. I may be a poo poo photographer and/or may not be shooting the right subjects, but I feel like there's something in the colors or lighting (or something I can't quite pinpoint) of these that I find particularly pleasing but haven't been able to achieve in my own photos. If you don't mind me asking, have you two made any noteworthy edits to these?

Thanks. To be honest, I'm not sure what I'm doing a lot of the time, I just play around with lightroom sliders until I like what I see.

This particular photo was taken in the early afternoon with pretty harsh sun and was initially way over-exposed, but since I shoot RAW I could bring back all the washed out details and colour. Although now that I think about it I might've gone a tad too far.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

birds
Jun 28, 2008

cross posting from PAD. getting in on the gas station theme.

img069 by Andrew Balch, on Flickr

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Got my first, and probably only camera for many years, a Sony A5100 last week in anticipation for a New Zealand vacation.
Been taking pictures from my living room and the mountain next door.
Really need to learn some gimp magic to touch these up.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

pseudorandom posted:

I agree. They look like the colours of large format prints I’ve seen? Awesome shots.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Gildiss posted:

Got my first, and probably only camera for many years, a Sony A5100 last week in anticipation for a New Zealand vacation.

Spend :10bux: a month for the photography bundle from Adobe. You get Lightroom (workflow and general edits) and Photoshop (more editing power than you will ever need) for that. Gimp is free but it's not really optimal for quick edits to large numbers of files, and it doesn't do the workflow management stuff at all.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Helen Highwater posted:

Spend :10bux: a month for the photography bundle from Adobe. You get Lightroom (workflow and general edits) and Photoshop (more editing power than you will ever need) for that. Gimp is free but it's not really optimal for quick edits to large numbers of files, and it doesn't do the workflow management stuff at all.

I dropped Lightroom/PS in favor of Affinity Photo and have found I really like it. Its dirt cheap and also has a full featured version for iOS, it was running things faster than my 2015 macbook pro.

I recommend checking it out too if gimp was an option, Affinity is far better than gimp.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Bape Culture posted:

I agree. They look like the colours of large format prints I’ve seen? Awesome shots.

mine is large format. mystery solved

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

ansel autisms posted:

mine is large format. mystery solved

Well I like it very, very much. Well done.

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

Maui

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Oh that's just lovely.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Gildiss posted:

Capture One has a free version for Sony users. I just switched to Sony last week and have used Lightroom for like 7-8 years but completely switched over to C1 after a goon told me about it being free for Sony. Granted, it is an “express” version but it has most, if not everything most people would use and the full version mainly has tethering options. I think I might upgrade still after the full trial expires but the express version would be a big upgrade over gimp.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Noice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Helen Highwater posted:

rio posted:

Capture One has a free version for Sony users. I just switched to Sony last week and have used Lightroom for like 7-8 years but completely switched over to C1 after a goon told me about it being free for Sony. Granted, it is an “express” version but it has most, if not everything most people would use and the full version mainly has tethering options. I think I might upgrade still after the full trial expires but the express version would be a big upgrade over gimp.

Thanks for the suggestions, I think I will check out C1 since im stingy after this trips price tag hah.