Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

1gnoirents posted:

Lol I mean it happened but I couldnt remember her name anymore so that part wasnt real. Also the fact that opening a window 26 years ago started a chain reaction which blew shipping containers into the ocean yesterday was pretty unlikley

how tf did you not get your own joke :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Not even a hint of crediting the original author of that joke from twitter do they

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

DrDork posted:

FWIW basically every modern car with a network connection is also collecting and sending telemetry on you, there's nothing you can do to stop it, it's far more likely to include information that could potentially implicate you in actual crimes (vs just public embarrassment over your poor gaming choices), and you get basically no benefit from doing so because it's only going to be used to make their next model better--which you're gonna get to pay full price for.

So cars are actually even worse, honestly.

The car with the most telemetry is a Tesla, which can actually figure out how much food you ate at a restaurant by measuring your weight in the driver's seat before and after.

And they come standard with NVidia GPUs, coincidence?!

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sniep posted:

Not even a hint of crediting the original author of that joke from twitter do they

Like in the lower left?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

mewse posted:

Like in the lower left?

derp. i was phoneposting earlier and i didnt see that part, now it's clear

i've seen a comic similar to that before which didn't, props to that version of it for doing so.

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006

Paul MaudDib posted:

AMD's next card is Vega 20, on 7nm and aimed at compute. So far it doesn't appear to be coming to the consumer market but I don't think that's an ironclad rule. Both AMD and NVIDIA have sold "compute cards" with FP64 disabled as consumer cards in the past - Tahiti, Hawaii, GK110, etc. I don't think the math favors taping out a whole new die just to take out the FP64, it doesn't hurt yields that much. Vega 20 will probably sample out or launch in December or so, with volume hitting over the first half of next year.

After that it's Navi, a consumer chip on 7nm. I am a little skeptical they'll get it out in volume before the end of 2019. We don't have any solid info on what it will be, large or small die or whether there's any significant uarch improvements. I was talking with someone who is pretty sure that Vega 20 is a 96CU/6144 SP chip based on the TFLOPs rating (7nm isn't that much faster), implying that AMD is doing that redesign of GCN after all, and thinks Navi may be a 6144 SP chip as well. But like I said, I disagree that AMD would tape out a whole second die just to strip out FP64. If it's big, that probably implies it'll have some uarch improvements, if it's small, it could

Vega 20 is indeed a compute card; Navi is for gaming. Whether it will be a large, or small die? The answer is: most assuredly yes! We will see GPUs codenamed Navi in all sorts of shapes and sizes. Mostly because AMD got lazy with codenames. It's not a clean-sheet design, but you can expect all sorts of architectural enhancements, depending on which Navi you're talking about. I'm also skeptical that they'd manage to ship it by holiday season - it is possible, but I'd say the probability is low.

lDDQD fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Sep 17, 2018

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

there's also poo poo like this that proves that GCN was already running clocks way beyond what it can actually support for eons
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7i9vR4s8iQ

it seems that like bulldozer, it's yet another AMD architecture that turns out to be actually good at low volts/clocks

then again, zen also undervolts really well and retains most of the sustained performance, so i guess that's their engineering forte :shrug:

I mean, there are worse engineering fortes! Dividing x86 into three broad categories of Laptops, Desktop, and Server, two of those categories are power-constrained, either by battery capacity, or trying to shove as much computing horsepower into a standard datacenter rack. As Intel has shown us over the past few decades, it's only on Desktop where the power is plentiful and can be "wasted" to overvolt chips and make them stable that power doesn't matter. So Zen doesn't overvolt quite as well as XXXX Lake, ehhhhhh.

Frankly, I think we've all been due for a recalibration of reality is for a while now, as opposed to "reality as dictated by Intel", now that there's competition.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Sep 17, 2018

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

According to TechPowerUp there are actually two variants of each Turing chip, e.g. TU102-400 is a low quality bin and cannot be factory overclocked, while TU102-400-A is a high bin that can be factory overclocked.

Either version can be manually overclocked so it's similar to the 1070ti situation. Founders cards are using the superior -A chips.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

What's the process for mass binning graphics cards?

Is some poor fellow just chucking one after another in a desktop and overclocking them one by one?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

What's the process for mass binning graphics cards?

Is some poor fellow just chucking one after another in a desktop and overclocking them one by one?

Pretty much but a robot does it.

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006
There are pretty good tools for profiling ASICs now, which is why we see everyone (well, other than Intel) helping themselves to all of the overclocking headroom. It only became cheap to profile this accurately sorta-recently.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Center of the wafer is good, edge is cheap. Closer to the center usually clocks marginally better, you're looking at 5% performance differences for 20% costs differences. That may or may not be worth it to you, I want one of the 1,000 dollar non-binned 2080 tis, the 1,200 dollar one does nothing for me.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

wargames posted:

Pretty much but a robot does it.

Automation eradicating yet another job :argh:

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Statutory Ape posted:

how tf did you not get your own joke :psyduck:

omg... im such a jackass

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
They put the wafers on big ol heat sucking chucks and probe each die individually with giant rear end cards (seriously these things are bloody huge and heavy)

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

we already know more about turings mesh shaders than we do about vegas primitive shaders, a year after vega launched

lol

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Hardocp has some benchmarks from FFXV that were up briefly. Looks like the 2080 ti is twice as fast as a 1070 at 1440P

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

incels interlinked posted:

Hardocp has some benchmarks from FFXV that were up briefly. Looks like the 2080 ti is twice as fast as a 1070 at 1440P

If those numbers hold, that'll should put the 2080Ti in the "consumer Titan with performance to actually justify the cost" category (25%ish performance boost over 2080 / 30% over the 1080ti, for 40-50% higher price). Whether it's worth it at 4K will probably hinge on whether DLSS is good enough to give the 2080 solid 4k/60+ performance as well.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Sep 18, 2018

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Ok it's thoroughly the 17th now, so where are the reviews

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Devils Affricate posted:

19th

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Devils Affricate posted:

Pushed back to the 19th for the 2080 and 2080 Ti. Drivers only finally got released a couple days ago.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
MSI has 8+8 for 2080 and 6+8+8 for 2080ti. :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRR5CbBF9yU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
That's amazing.

I'm going to love watching how, suddenly, power drain isn't important again.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

This story was posted yesterday. Not last year, yesterday.

https://www.techradar.com/news/amd-boasts-that-rx-vega-64-comfortably-overtakes-gtx-1080-in-forza-horizon-4-benchmark

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Finewine drivers from AMD.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Truga posted:

That's amazing.

I'm going to love watching how, suddenly, power drain isn't important again.

Beginning to feel a lot better about the 850W Seasonic Titanium PSU I just bought to replace my old PSU and anchor my new build.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I remember goons telling me that buying a PSU above 650W made no sense whatsoever when I asked. I ended up getting a 750W just to take the advice and add a little extra, mainly because the price difference made it a might-as-well.

But this was a Plat/Tita PSU, not some Copper-tier PSU which probably helps a bit too.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Sep 18, 2018

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Beginning to feel a lot better about the 850W Seasonic Titanium PSU I just bought to replace my old PSU and anchor my new build.

I'm looking at upgradings to the 2080ti with the step up program and currently have a 750w in my build, will I be possible to the limit with that card?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Bruxism posted:

I'm looking at upgradings to the 2080ti with the step up program and currently have a 750w in my build, will I be possible to the limit with that card?

Probably not even close. Figure a theoretical max TDP of a 2080Ti of 300W. Stephen from GN was sort of hinting that the Ti's going to be a hot card in his cooler teardown video, but we won't know for sure until the reviews. I figure there has to be a reason for the 2.5-2.75 slot coolers.

I don't see many people "NVLink"ing this time around, either.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Bruxism posted:

Recommended wattage on Nvidia's FE product page is 650. And they have the OC (-A) chipset.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Probably not even close. Figure a theoretical max TDP of a 2080Ti of 300W. Stephen from GN was sort of hinting that the Ti's going to be a hot card in his cooler teardown video, but we won't know for sure until the reviews. I figure there has to be a reason for the 2.5-2.75 slot coolers.

I don't see many people "NVLink"ing this time around, either.

Whew! What's the solution to gpu running hot? More intake fans? My last concern is this thing fitting inside my case ( fractal define r5). I'm sure it won't be a problem but those cards look huge in pictures.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I find that bigger fans help a lot, switch out the stock ones with x25 or even x38 ones and it's much cooler without getting louder. Turns a 3 slot card into a 4-5 slot one though.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

In an non overclocked ITX system with only SSD storage you think I could squeeze by with running the 2080ti with 600 watts (Corsair SF600)? Is the 2080ti expected to use more power than the 1080ti?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
As long as it's not out of warranty, yes and yes. If the warranty is gone or almost gone I'd want a new power supply because of age wear, if it's only a year or two old my overclocked 1080 and 5820k with drives and fans, etc, only hit 500 watts.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

craig588 posted:

As long as it's not out of warranty, yes and yes. If the warranty is gone or almost gone I'd want a new power supply because of age wear, if it's only a year or two old my overclocked 1080 and 5820k with drives and fans, etc, only hit 500 watts.

how do i tell how many watts are being pulled?

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.amazon.com/P3-P4400-Electricity-Usage-Monitor/dp/B00009MDBU

I wouldn't trust it down to the watt, but it's close enough for by 10 watts. It's pretty large too, I have mine permanently plugged into a short extension cord because it doesn't fit into a lot of places. It's really cheap and "good enough" for most testing though. Make sure you test with the CPU/GPU/drives loaded, when idle my PC drops to like 40 watts.

craig588 fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Sep 18, 2018

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Bruxism posted:

Whew! What's the solution to gpu running hot? More intake fans? My last concern is this thing fitting inside my case ( fractal define r5). I'm sure it won't be a problem but those cards look huge in pictures.

The proper solution is a G10/12 + AIO. Buy it once, slap it on every card NVidia releases for years, buy whatever card's on sale and never have to worry about the quality of HSF/cooling solutions again.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Bruxism posted:

Unless your case has completely terrible airflow, it'll just run at slightly lower clocks.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
So any reason the pre order cards from nvidia have a ship date of early October instead of this week?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Aeka 2.0 posted:

So any reason the pre order cards from nvidia have a ship date of early October instead of this week?
East Asia is basically in in an industrial blender known as Typhoon Mangkhut.