Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My only food rule is no BBQ the day of a game because that poo poo sits in your gut like a bag of sand.

Everything else is fair game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

bewbies posted:

you don't replace old shoulder pads, you just stop wearing shoulder pads

Shoulder pads are cool though. It makes you feel like Ironman.

Plus I've always worn them and it would feel weird to not.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

prom candy posted:

A straight week of sleeping 9 hours.

My brain doesn't comprehend this. I don't think I've had a week of sleeping 9 hours per day since summer break in highschool ... 16 years ago.

On an unrelated note, heading to the eval skate tonight and draft tomorrow because I need to draft a few extra players for winter season. We only ran 13 full time skaters over summer to see how it would go and regularly had 10 on the bench. Also have to cut 2 dudes because they can't answer emails/fb messages/texts regarding registration and have been unresponsive for weeks despite expressing interest. Surprise, they also have issues RSVPing for games. Sorry bro's. Aint got time for that poo poo. You either want to play hockey or you don't and I'm not here to babysit.

God I can't wait until the season starts back up. NEED TO HOCKEYZ. I should probably go get my skates sharpened and order the Pro-filer ... could have used that a lot this season.

***shoulder pads***

I played inline for a long time (you don't wear shoulder pads) but I switched over to ice years ago and put them on (as well as a cage). Even though its non-check, there is still a lot more contact than inline. I also realize the difference in my ability won't drastically improve one way or the other so I'll opt for the protection which is how I feel about cages as well.

Verman fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Sep 12, 2018

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
I wear shoulder pads for any hockey skate (stick/puck included) because the shoulder is an incredibly complex joint that can require lengthy rehab for even minor tweaks, I'm not an NHL level skater, and all it takes is one tiny slip, nudge, or miscalculation to blow out a body part that is crucial to being able to participate in an activity that I love.

xzzy posted:

My only food rule is no BBQ the day of a game because that poo poo sits in your gut like a bag of sand.

Now officially into my late-30s (37, ugh), the one thing I've found I have a hard time consuming the day of a game is alcohol. Any down time after I've been drinking triggers my body's shutdown sequence, so unless I'm drinking and immediately hitting the ice, I try to abstain from liquor - not really a beer or wine drinker - if I have a game later in the day.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 12, 2018

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
At 38 I'm one of the youngest guys on the team. The oldest is 68 and his son plays with us as well, of which I am completely jealous. At least with the new team we all stay after to drink, previous team no one really drank.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Verman posted:

On an unrelated note, heading to the eval skate tonight and draft tomorrow because I need to draft a few extra players for winter season. We only ran 13 full time skaters over summer to see how it would go and regularly had 10 on the bench.

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it

Do you need them to rsvp so you can do (edit2: low level (edit: beer league)) lines?

sellouts fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 12, 2018

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

sellouts posted:

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it

Do you need them to rsvp so you can do lines?

Its mostly for calling subs if needed. We broke off a div 5 team to build a div 4 team which is more of a challenge and everyone is skating harder than we're used to. We can mange with 10 skaters but we're much better with 13.

If people rsvp yes or no in advance, I can contact subs early to secure 13 skaters for that evening (3F lines, 2 D lines) and give subs ample heads up. If they don't RSVP, I will call subs to make a 13 skater bench. Suddenly, 2 guys show up who didn't RSVP and now we have 15 skaters which is dumb. We're all adults and its easier now more than ever to stay in contact. If you can't respond to a text/email/fb message or simply hit an RSVP button yes or no once per week ... I can't help you out and its only making my job more difficult. I'm not going to beg you to come play. Either you do or you dont but I would prefer to know.

Our league draft is tomorrow so I need to know how many new players to pick up. When I've messaged these guys over the last few weeks and received nothing in return I have to move on.

Beer league captaining. Its super awesome and everyone should do it because of how awesome it is.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

xzzy posted:

For me it's not really what I eat as much as it is how much and when. Assuming I'm playing at like 9 or later I like to have a big lunch, medium size dinner, and then a small bowl of cereal or something 60-90 minutes before the game. This place near my old work used to have a $2.99 CAD cheeseburger and fry combo special, I turned that nasty lunch into a lot of good hockey

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Kessel pre-game meal.

Failing that.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Verman posted:

Its mostly for calling subs if needed. .

So partially for beer league lines, yeah?

Managing a team that wants 10 or 9, with 12 if everyone shows up, and everyone understanding that less players is more beer in the parking lot for everyone else, is awesome.

It sucks when people move away :(

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Played my first-ever past 11pm game last night. Feel predictably terrible this morning but I also managed to play like complete rear end last night. Could barely skate and was losing edges/falling over constantly, made terrible decisions, and they had a couple really fast guys who just danced around me multiple times. They scored like 4 or 5 goals off rebounds that were just sitting there in the crease and I couldn't get there in time. I also managed to basically deflect a puck in on one.

Their goalie was real good, but we had a bunch of chances that just refused to go in. Ended up being 8-4 I think.

So far this league/season has seemed to be a case of "the other team's ringers are better than our ringers."

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
On my lowest level team, I keep a full-time roster of 15, with 4 subs, and still have trouble getting 10 to show up. If we're under 10 with all of those, I sub up to 10, but no more.

10 is ideal. 10 is perfect.

(13 is fine for my higher-level teams, since the pace is higher, but I'd never sub up to 13).

After a sort of spotty August, I was supposed to have back to back 10:30 starts last night and tonight, but I have a monstrous head cold and for once elected not to try to play through it. I don't think people would care for the amount of mucus coming out of me.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

So weird. The higher the level the less players needed/wanted for me.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

After loving up my wrist and missing the majority of our season last year I played the first game of the season last night.

Got multiple people saying I was skating and playing better than previous seasons, which was pretty cool as that was my goal. Got a lot of new players on the team and a large roster (opposed to last year where we only had about 9-10 show up on good days). Because of that we rolled 3 forward lines which I prefer to 2 as I like skating hard for 1-1.5 minutes then sitting for 2-3.

Lost 3-5 but our goalie let in some softies but he recovered in the 3rd and made some great saves after being shaken pretty early.

My secret to being slightly better? Did some stick and puck, skating where I could, a bit of learn to play. Also half a beer before the game to take the edge off helps.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Bag talk: since I'm replacing everything I'm getting a new bag too. Any likes/dislikes? My old one is just an old cheap CCM, so almost anything would be an upgrade.

I looked at the Pacific Rink stuff - drat it looks sweet, but $200, ouch.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hunt down someone that makes bags for colleges. They last forever and because they have to supply random color combos all the time it's by super expensive to get whatever colors make you happy.

I forget who made mine and I can't check at the moment but it's going on three years showing no signs of wear.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

a mysterious cloak posted:

Bag talk: since I'm replacing everything I'm getting a new bag too. Any likes/dislikes? My old one is just an old cheap CCM, so almost anything would be an upgrade.

I looked at the Pacific Rink stuff - drat it looks sweet, but $200, ouch.

Price tag hurts but the PR bag I have is hands down the best bag I’ve ever owned.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wife dug it up for me, got one from here.

https://www.tonyscanvas.com

Can customize as much or as little as you want.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I like my Warrior Pro bag. I've had it for about 6 years now.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Any basic college or pro level bag. They are meant for lots of use and travel. I love the one big opening and a fat loving zipper.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

xzzy posted:

Wife dug it up for me, got one from here.

https://www.tonyscanvas.com

Can customize as much or as little as you want.

Completely different topic, but how good was The Whale when you played them on Sunday? I just saw the score on that and was curious.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They were pretty good. Only one bonafide ringer who played down once they ran up the score, the rest were proper D3 if you got them 1v1 but their passing game was good and we couldn't do poo poo about it. Their goalie was the one iffy part, he had experience but someone said he just converted from roller and looked wobbly on his skates. Did that weird "lunge at the shot" on every save where he'd be in butterfly then look like he wanted to jump to his feet.

I'd rank them in the top third of D3, unless the goalie lets them down.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Thanks for the bag ideas, guys. Tony's Canvas isn't taking new orders now, so that's out, unfortunately. I'll keep my eyes open, though.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Pacific Rink is very good. I kinda feel like I could've gotten away with a junior bag though.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

You can be a cheap-rear end like me and get a giant army surplus canvas bag for under $20

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I have the GRIT Airbox bag. It's ventilated on the top, which could be good or bad depending on your living situation. I've gotten moderate to heavy use in the last year and still holding up good

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

I have a Vic hockey bag. It is now 4 years old give or take.

Both zipper handles have broke off, replaced them with paper clips, and the stitching for one of the outside skate pockets has come undone all along the top. All this happened like a year ago or more.

Core of the bag is fine though.

Buying a new bag I would rather take a chance on another brand than Vic tbh.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

xzzy posted:

They were pretty good. Only one bonafide ringer who played down once they ran up the score, the rest were proper D3 if you got them 1v1 but their passing game was good and we couldn't do poo poo about it. Their goalie was the one iffy part, he had experience but someone said he just converted from roller and looked wobbly on his skates. Did that weird "lunge at the shot" on every save where he'd be in butterfly then look like he wanted to jump to his feet.

I'd rank them in the top third of D3, unless the goalie lets them down.

The desire to stand then move makes sense if he converted from roller.

Also, I may be your opposing goalie tonight. Stick in the Box apparently can’t find one and your game is right after mine.

Switching to goal has made me super popular.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Found out one of my sticks had two goals left in it. Tied the game twice.

And then it died blocking a shot to keep the lead.

RIP stick. You were a good stick.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
For some ungodly reason the new team decided I should try out being a winger. Screw this offense poo poo too much skating. I did get a goal.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

calandryll posted:

For some ungodly reason the new team decided I should try out being a winger. Screw this offense poo poo too much skating. I did get a goal.

It's so painful to transition, played a tournament at winger a few months ago and I felt like I had no idea what I was doing on the ice. But I ended up leading the team in points so I must have been doing something right?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Joined a new team for Friday league. Went top corner on my first ever shift for them. We lost 2-1 in OT. Goddammit.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

D C posted:

It's so painful to transition, played a tournament at winger a few months ago and I felt like I had no idea what I was doing on the ice. But I ended up leading the team in points so I must have been doing something right?

I kept having to tell myself during the 2nd period to be on the other side of the blue line. Lol. Some of my teammates threatened to put me at center next game, ugh.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

I like playing center in the defensive zone... but only because some of our centers do not understand they need to be the man in front of the net to take the extra man that floats into there. So many opposing goals are because our centre is waiting for an outlet pass instead of being in proper defensive positioning.

Absolutely gently caress skating that much though.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

calandryll posted:

I usually play wing and have floated back to D a couple of times. Basically puts the other team on a PP while I'm out there.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
Most wingers in my league pay absolutely no attention to the points and chase the puck toward the net or decide the best place to wait for a break-out pass is somewhere up past the blue line, behind the other team's D...

It's awesome being too gassed to try to skate the puck out of the zone since we've been trapped there for a couple minutes, but having the puck easily intercepted every time I try to send it up the boards to the winger. I really need to get better at chipping it up high and out.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Scored twice today, one of which was just purely reflexive, kicking a pass off my skate, doing a quick 180 and flinging the puck into the corner of the net. I also got really good wood on two one-timers, one was wide by about an inch and the goalie gloved the other one, but just getting them off the ice with some velocity is a plus for me.

I've had a stretch of 3 good games in a row now, let's keep this train rolling. :dance:

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Finally broke my goal drought after 16 games.

Do of course they give it to the defenseman that wasn't even on the ice at the time.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

doctor 7 posted:

I like playing center in the defensive zone... but only because some of our centers do not understand they need to be the man in front of the net to take the extra man that floats into there. So many opposing goals are because our centre is waiting for an outlet pass instead of being in proper defensive positioning.

Absolutely gently caress skating that much though.

Yeah I basically got short strawed into playing center when my two linemates basically took the gently caress skating that much approach. We played a few games rotating because none of us had every played center through high school and we weren't sure who would be the best at it and then they were like, yeah gently caress skating, you do it. I liked it though and once you get into "center shape" you don't really notice the extra skating. It made me really wish I had the opportunity to play center growing up and through school, if nothing else but to have a shorter learning curve to taking draws. I sucked for a while but then really started getting better and after a few years it was fun seeing other centers get physically upset after losing like 5 draws in a row against me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Playing center is cool and good. At low to mid beer league level it’s almost as simple as “have the puck, if your team doesn’t have it then go get it”

There’s a lot more to it of course but a center who keeps their feet moving is a huge advantage at lower levels.