Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Just a seasonal reminder not to do the new Challenge Rift that we'll get later today. It looks like it will be a Necromancer one. I plan to hop in and check it out, just to see how much of a pain it will be, which you can do as well, just don't kill the RG. Hell, I wouldn't even spawn the RG to avoid any accidents, especially if it's a pet build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

i hope its a group one. im too trash to beat them solo

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Time to play the Post Season Inventory Sorting Game, this time with less time to do it before the next Season starts!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

I said come in! posted:

It's hard to care about seasons or to feel like I am missing out on anything when Path of Exile does entirely new gameplay modes and mechanics each season. Blizzard, who is vastly bigger and wealthier, puts the bare amount of effort in this game and that's really disappointing.
That's not a good comparison because PoE generates ongoing revenue while post-auction house D3 does not. Blizzard threw a lot of time and money at it post release to rebuild fans' good will towards the brand but there are limits.

Of course, D4 will certainly not have that problem.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Kheldarn posted:

Time to play the Post Season Inventory Sorting Game, this time with less time to do it before the next Season starts!

Pretty easy, just throw all that poo poo away. Who plays non seasonal? And why?

big cummers ONLY posted:

i hope its a group one. im too trash to beat them solo

Just so you know forums poster big cummers only, that all challenge rifts can be completed in a group.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Sindai posted:

That's not a good comparison because PoE generates ongoing revenue while post-auction house D3 does not. Blizzard threw a lot of time and money at it post release to rebuild fans' good will towards the brand but there are limits.

Of course, D4 will certainly not have that problem.

I don't really see the RoS expansion and Necro class as being so different from the microtrasactions in PoE that they can't both be considered "ongoing revenue". There are also significant advantages to getting the customer's money up-front with the purchase of the game instead of relying on revenue streams, namely the ability to invest it immediately into your next endeavor (time value of money and all that).

If Blizzard wanted to earmark funds from D3 for future development they certainly could have, but its a difference in priorities. Path of Exile is GGG's only title, so taking the risk on something new when its unlikely to reach the same level of popularity that PoE currently has probably doesn't appeal to them. Meanwhile Blizzard has multiple franchises almost all of which are more popular than D3 so its easy to figure out where the money should be invested.

If Heathstone and Overwatch weren't such runaway successes I think you'd see a lot more money and time being invested into D3.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

CR is Blood Mage Trag Necro. Decent items, huge first map with channeling and shield, lots of mobs and elites. Very squishy though, but with 40 simulacrum'd mages on the screen, it should workout.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Kheldarn posted:

I was smart and put the stuff I cared about for my current build in my bags so I can do a straight item-to-item compare and toss on everything else from the mail without accidentally scrapping half my wardrobe and forgetting what gear I had where

mewse
May 2, 2006

Larrymer posted:

Pretty easy, just throw all that poo poo away. Who plays non seasonal? And why?

I prefer feeling guilty about it for 30 days until letting it expire

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Larrymer posted:

Pretty easy, just throw all that poo poo away.

Can't. RPG Hoarding Syndrome. :smith:

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
Tough call on what to play this season. I've got a critical weakness for pet builds, so Rathma and Helltooth are strong contenders. I kind of want to try Wizard and get the Tal Rasha, but I've never really been able to wrap my brain around how Wizards work. And the husband is nudging me towards Demon Hunter, which I've also never played for any length of time.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

GoingPostal posted:

Tough call on what to play this season. I've got a critical weakness for pet builds, so Rathma and Helltooth are strong contenders. I kind of want to try Wizard and get the Tal Rasha, but I've never really been able to wrap my brain around how Wizards work. And the husband is nudging me towards Demon Hunter, which I've also never played for any length of time.

Now's the time to try something new. There's not much of that left in Diablo 3.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I very much look forward to spinning my problems away, especially since it's a build that I could theoretically work the Lacuni Prowlers into.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

mewse posted:

I prefer feeling guilty about it for 30 days until letting it expire

this is my m.o. too

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
What wizard build was Tal Rasha and how is it solo vs group ?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Haven't played a season since season 9, and I realized I own the Necro DLC and I have literally never played it, so my choice is clear. I've read Rathma's mages is a decent build to start on but later on is better to switch to a lancer build.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Anyone wanting to checkout the CR and how to play it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuj5Po8BQmc

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

All I need to know is can it be easily completed by 4 randos by button mashing? That's how most of them are during the new season week. They save the really lovely/hard ones for another week, usually.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Larrymer posted:

All I need to know is can it be easily completed by 4 randos by button mashing? That's how most of them are during the new season week. They save the really lovely/hard ones for another week, usually.

There's no kryspin to proc stuns, devour is auto, doesn't rely on cooldowns, so you can just sit back and mash mages/generator, while keeping up your bone armor/blood rush HP buff, until you win the game. It's really squishy though so if you rush ahead, you're dead.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Larrymer posted:

I just mashed right click and hit the teleport/bone armor/simulacrum button on cooldown. Made it with over a minute to spare even though I died twice.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

bamhand posted:

I just mashed right click and hit the teleport/bone armor/simulacrum button on cooldown. Made it with over a minute to spare even though I died twice.

I hope you didn't kill the RG. :)

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I'm out of town this weekend/next week so I didn't need to save it for seasons.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Gotcha. I'm slowly getting hyped for another fun weekend of Diablo.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

DrSeRRoD posted:

Gotcha. I'm slowly getting hyped for another fun weekend of Diablo.

Still debating if I even play this season. It's fun that first night and maybe for a day or two after. I've done UE DH too many times (fav build) so if anything I'll go barb.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Larrymer posted:

Just so you know forums poster big cummers only, that all challenge rifts can be completed in a group.

:unsmith:

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Larrymer posted:

Still debating if I even play this season. It's fun that first night and maybe for a day or two after. I've done UE DH too many times (fav build) so if anything I'll go barb.

I only played Friday night through Saturday night last season I think, or maybe made it until Sunday morning before I stopped. If it wasn't for the journey giving me a goal to reach, I'd probably only play Friday night.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I always end up making a UE multishot after tooling around with other stuff so I'm just going to start with one this time since it's the freebie. I have pretty much only played seasonal characters yet I still don't have the Champion chest piece so I have important things to do this season!

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Tahirovic posted:

What wizard build was Tal Rasha and how is it solo vs group ?

it's the one where you make the screen an unintelligible mess of random colors as meteors rain down everywhere you point a laser beam

it's great solo and casual groups, but stinks at meta if you care about that

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah firebird is "the wizard group meta" and is also a glass cannon that shatters instantly if you get a rift where A Khazra throws A Spear at you

Tal Rasha speedfarming build with the aetherwalker is jacked to the tits tho

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Tal Rasha Meteor is great for soloing, super tanky and satisfying. Not so great for groups because it falls behind quickly due to channeling requirements.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I never did figure out the trick to pushing a whirl wind barb to really high greater rifts levels.

It always seem like a build that was short on damage reduction and even with a unity follower you just take so much damage once you start hitting levels 70+

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Level 1 gambling suggestions in the order that I'd do them for anybody that might be wondering what to spend those CR shards on.

DH: Pox fauld pants, leoric's crown
Barb: bracers (either is good for leveling), pox faulds, leoric's crown
Wiz: kill yourself, then Pox or leoric's
WD: Gazing Demise/Pox
Monk: bracers (any are ok), then boots for Rivera dancers
Crusader: Shield for Denial, then Pox faulds
Necro: Gloves for grasp of essence, then pox faulds. I think the ring is too risky to try and get, chances aren't great with limited shards, IMO. But the reward is pretty decent so, YMMV.

Pox faulds and leorics are interchangeable to me really since the gems are so lovely at low levels. There may be better options after level 1, so check out this if you want to play around and see.

https://www.d3planner.com/game/51663/kadala

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Vakal posted:

I never did figure out the trick to pushing a whirl wind barb to really high greater rifts levels.

It always seem like a build that was short on damage reduction and even with a unity follower you just take so much damage once you start hitting levels 70+

The trick is Whirlwind is awful for anything besides speed farming and you should use a different set.

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

Larrymer posted:

Level 1 gambling suggestions in the order that I'd do them for anybody that might be wondering what to spend those CR shards on.

DH: Pox fauld pants, leoric's crown
Barb: bracers (either is good for leveling), pox faulds, leoric's crown
Wiz: kill yourself, then Pox or leoric's
WD: Gazing Demise/Pox
Monk: bracers (any are ok), then boots for Rivera dancers
Crusader: Shield for Denial, then Pox faulds
Necro: Gloves for grasp of essence, then pox faulds. I think the ring is too risky to try and get, chances aren't great with limited shards, IMO. But the reward is pretty decent so, YMMV.

Pox faulds and leorics are interchangeable to me really since the gems are so lovely at low levels. There may be better options after level 1, so check out this if you want to play around and see.

https://www.d3planner.com/game/51663/kadala

So i haven't played since before they changed challenge rifts to how they are now. How many shards are you rewarded with? also, D3 planner lists leoric's at lvl 5 and pox faulds at lvl 11, does this mean you would wait to gamble until lvl 5/11?

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Mjolnerd posted:

So i haven't played since before they changed challenge rifts to how they are now. How many shards are you rewarded with? also, D3 planner lists leoric's at lvl 5 and pox faulds at lvl 11, does this mean you would wait to gamble until lvl 5/11?

You can gamble them at level 1, but they will be gambled at level 5+ or 11+, so you have to wait like 3 minutes to equip them.

The cache is this, plus 4.6 million gold:

Mjolnerd
Jan 28, 2006

Smellrose

DrSeRRoD posted:

You can gamble them at level 1, but they will be gambled at level 5+ or 11+, so you have to wait like 3 minutes to equip them.

The cache is this, plus 4.6 million gold:

Oh cool, definitely a nice boost to a new season.

according to d3planner though, at 475 blood sharts you only have about a 22% chance of getting pox/leorics.. oh well.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Mjolnerd posted:

according to d3planner though, at 475 blood sharts you only have about a 22% chance of getting pox/leorics.. oh well.

I don't think this is right unless you mean getting them both. Even then, it's still fairly likely. Use the link I posted, choose your class and level. There's about a 10% chance to get a legendary while gambling, and there's only 1 legendary hat/pants in the pool for every character besides monk at level 1. So basically 250 blood shards at most to get your item (unless you have really bad luck) and armor is 25 a piece (so 10 gambles, 10% chance each = probably gonna get that item), and you have 475 shards to work with.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Sep 19, 2018

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
When you say 250 blood shards at most it's actually something like a 2/3 chance of getting it in that many shards. So 1/3 of people won't find it then. For 475 shards it's 13.5% of people won't get what they're looking for or a bit over 1/8. So you'll definitely have a good bit of people who get nothing.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

bamhand posted:

When you say 250 blood shards at most it's actually something like a 2/3 chance of getting it in that many shards. So 1/3 of people won't find it then. For 475 shards it's 13.5% of people won't get what they're looking for or a bit over 1/8. So you'll definitely have a good bit of people who get nothing.

That's fair, there's been seasons where I get squat. My wording was bad. Assuming that Kadala gives a leg at a 10% rate (not sure if this is 100% accurate), then 250 is about right but RNG can always gently caress you. Yay statistics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Larrymer posted:

That's fair, there's been seasons where I get squat. My wording was bad. Assuming that Kadala gives a leg at a 10% rate (not sure if this is 100% accurate), then 250 is about right but RNG can always gently caress you. Yay statistics.

the odds of you spending all of your 475 shards and getting jack poo poo is about 13.5%, which is better than the probability of Kadala giving you a legendary on your first pull :unsmigghh: