Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
Didn't you have to beat the game and then have a friend with another copy to access Hard/Easy Mode in BW2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

:D shame about the nature but whoooo cares

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

The difficulty mode thing was a good idea executed poorly in terms of unlocking. I'm also not sure if someone playing the game fresh would actually find it notably difficult if they had the chance to do so, considering it's just a level bump and some small adjustments to teams of important trainers.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Didn't you have to beat the game and then have a friend with another copy to access Hard/Easy Mode in BW2?

Yup, it was so poorly implemented that they might as well have not bothered

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Easy Mode basically shouldn't have existed. It required you beating a game and then it was just lower levels with nothing else. I suppose it made it harder since there's less exp to go around. Challenge Mode also required beating a game, and the keys couldn't let you start a new game on the same cart, it had to be a different game, so required another system. The Gym Leader shakeups were neat, but it technically got easier and it went out, since there was more exp to go around. Also, aside from Gym Leaders and the Elite Four, most trainers only got stock level ups, so it wasn't hugely interesting otherwise.

Anyway, if you want more difficulty options, make em yourself.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Crosspeice posted:

Anyway, if you want more difficulty options, make em yourself.

that's the developer's job. if they want me making improvements to their game they should discount the price in lieu of compensation

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Nobody is going to reduce the price of a game just because you feel like deleting your save file every time you die.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Siets posted:

Honestly Pokemon games should have different difficulty modes that leave everything the same and just adjust the team compositions, levels, held items, and move sets of gyms bosses and trainers. I’d be all for trying to counter Nintendo Cup style teams during my playthrough. I’m guessing there’s romhacks out there that do this already? I will admit I don’t know the Pokemon modding scene very well.

In Penumbra Moon I ran into a preschooler on Route 2 that buffed a Drifloon with 2 stockpiles and a minimize, and was holding a berry to sharply raise evasion. It baton passed all that to a Staravia that wiped my whole team.

There have also been a lot of red card shenanigans so far, I'm really enjoying this hack.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
My fanboyism for Beedrill made for some artificial difficulty spikes I'm every game that featured him in.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
That shiny mofo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66dEd9XhD_0

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag
pikachad

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't care about Let's Go but I'm just glad the Jigglypuff floats behind you as you run

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Hustlin Floh posted:

I don't care about Let's Go but I'm just glad the Jigglypuff floats behind you as you run

Death is usually depicted as floating behind you in most media. Glad Let's Go is finally correcting this long standing error.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I look at him and all I hear is Johnny Bravo

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Vinylshadow posted:

I look at him and all I hear is Johnny Bravo

drat I'm Pika.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I bought Pokémon Moon Ultra the other day. I’ve had regular Sun for a while but barely played it. Am I missing content by skipping and going right to Ultra?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
No it's an enhanced remake not a sequel

Personally I think it's slightly worse but I think I'm in the minority on that

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

cheetah7071 posted:

No it's an enhanced remake not a sequel

Personally I think it's slightly worse but I think I'm in the minority on that

I have and can play both if there’s a reason to. Why do you feel the way you do? Express yourself to me. Open up. Share.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Ultra doesn't have Looker in it and that's a pretty big thing to miss out on imo.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

chaosapiant posted:

I have and can play both if there’s a reason to. Why do you feel the way you do? Express yourself to me. Open up. Share.

Ultra changes the plot to make Necrozma the focal element of the climax and it's kind of a hack job that makes the entire story worse

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

chaosapiant posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VorIn2ISK6w

I think this video sums it up pretty good, just replace Larry with Necrozma.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Sep 18, 2018

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
It makes the story worse but it adds several quality of life changes that I prefer. Makes some pokemon easier to obtain/evolve. Adds move tutors(and the currency of the move tutors is a minigame rather than a random drop from somewhere, so they're usable before the endgame). Moves around some movelists.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

indigi posted:

that's the developer's job. if they want me making improvements to their game they should discount the price in lieu of compensation
They don't need to make any improvements, Pokemon is already perfectly set up so you can custom-tailor your gameplay to fit exactly your playstyle. Use or don't use EXP share, use a smaller team, bigger team, better mons, worse mons, etc. Do they need to put the EXP share off toggle on the title screen and call it a hard mode for it to count?

I think that ideally difficulty options should be smoothly integrated into the game, not shoved in the options or title screen, and pokemon does this very well.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Expanding a bit on the story thing

Sun/Moon's plot is left almost completely unchanged but they just toss in a group of nerds who spew random exposition about Necrozma. Everything regarding Necrozma is told to you by others instead of shown till you confront it near the end of the game. Like in the middle of a trial the nerds will intercept you and go "Oh no, Necrozma has escaped from space prison and is going to destroy everything, you have to fight us to prove you are worthy" and after you defeat them the plot continues exactly like it did in Sun/Moon till the next time they come to tell you about how awesome and dangerous Necrozma is.

Sun/Moon main antagonist's motivation are exactly the same for 90% of the game and then suddenly they also want to wrestle with Necrozma because the box's cover art says so. Also they outright removed the rad nightmare fusion fight against her when instead they should have kept it and have you actually fight against her instead of a regular pokemon battle

Lilly who was one of the better protagonist's love interest of the franchise and had a compelling character arc is shoved into the background.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

You must've skipped through the text (i wouldn't blame you) if you thought the story was the exact same up until the end. The beats were the same but they did tweak the script to actually fit the new scenario, so for example Lusamine's character is first subtly and then overtly quite different from her original self.

It is true about Lillie though, she just gets her character arc lamely cut off right at the end. At least Hau got more interesting writing to compensate.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I also think new Lusamine is kinda lame even if she's internally consistent with the new story

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Anime Lusamine is the new Lusamine now and she's pretty good.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Extra shiny poipole code:

A878-ZYYP-UC5U-Z57N

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

hangedman1984 posted:

Extra shiny poipole code:

A878-ZYYP-UC5U-Z57N

I claimed it. Thanks!

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Ultra doesn't have Looker in it and that's a pretty big thing to miss out on imo.

Ultra Moon has Looker. You first run into him after exiting Diglet Tunnel.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Ultra is great for totem stickers and photo time.

Regular has the better story.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I preferred Ultra S/M's story, it had better pacing and gets to the point faster at many points - especially the intro. Lillie also no longer makes the plot all about her mother who the protag has no reason to care about in S/M, and there are subtle differences where she's written as a stronger and more capable which culminates in her actually catching a pokemon of her own and helping out in a fight!.

Rainbow rocket was also better postgame than just Looker talking at you nonstop.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Pokemon is definitely the best example, except for maybe the Power Rangers reboot movie, of why it is for the best that franchises do not grow up with their audience. I've never read the summary for a fanmade Pokemon game that wasn't poo poo like this.

I played a Korean gold hack once where you're Red's sister come home after three years to discover that he took over Team Rocket and has been opening up wormholes to catch legendaries and megas to take over the world. It would have been pretty fun if not for the terrible leveling curve. Double exp would have done it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Schubalts posted:

Ultra Moon has Looker. You first run into him after exiting Diglet Tunnel.

He just says hi and then leaves though! You don't get to hang out or anything!!!!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Serebii.net got to play a demo of Lets Go and they confirm that there are no abilities or held items.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

RatHat posted:

Serebii.net got to play a demo of Lets Go and they confirm that there are no abilities or held items.

Isn't that enough to make some pokemon useless?

lezard_valeth posted:

Expanding a bit on the story thing

Sun/Moon's plot is left almost completely unchanged but they just toss in a group of nerds who spew random exposition about Necrozma. Everything regarding Necrozma is told to you by others instead of shown till you confront it near the end of the game. Like in the middle of a trial the nerds will intercept you and go "Oh no, Necrozma has escaped from space prison and is going to destroy everything, you have to fight us to prove you are worthy" and after you defeat them the plot continues exactly like it did in Sun/Moon till the next time they come to tell you about how awesome and dangerous Necrozma is.

Sun/Moon main antagonist's motivation are exactly the same for 90% of the game and then suddenly they also want to wrestle with Necrozma because the box's cover art says so. Also they outright removed the rad nightmare fusion fight against her when instead they should have kept it and have you actually fight against her instead of a regular pokemon battle

Lilly who was one of the better protagonist's love interest of the franchise and had a compelling character arc is shoved into the background.

Man, don't get me started on that.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Geostomp posted:

Isn't that enough to make some pokemon useless?

None of the original 151 were as reliant on their ability as, say, Ninjask, but it does make things like Weezing a lot worse.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
So if they’re reverting all the QoL changes are they making Psychic broken again?

E: actually with no dark types and two steel types I guess they are?

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Sep 18, 2018

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

WTF is Looker?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

WTF is Looker?

He's a detective and a recurring character in the series.