Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/09/the-russians-are-really-pushing-a-nasa-astronaut-sabotaged-the-iss-theory/

cross posting from the spaceflight thread. this is the first time i can remember a disinformation campaign being launched in regards to something space related, it's usually very apolitical
Eh, not really. I read about superior russian rocket engines, NASA's inability to launch manned vehicles and faked Mars pictures all the time from pro-Kremlin trolls. Although this is probably first time some official institution like Roscosmos is actively involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Dwesa posted:

Eh, not really. I read about superior russian rocket engines, NASA's inability to launch manned vehicles and faked Mars pictures all the time from pro-Kremlin trolls. Although this is probably first time some official institution like Roscosmos is actively involved.

The first two are actually true, though (in a specific sense for the first one).

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Brown Moses posted:

They used this footage to show how easy it is to fake footage, inadvertently showing it's not actually that easy to fake footage

https://twitter.com/EliotHiggins/status/1041699140789522432

The whole middle section on the supposed fake footage is pretty much entirely stolen from conspiracy websites too.

It's definitely easy to fake it better than that. It's obviously a 3D object, so how hard is it to set the lighting right? Just embarrassing.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Meanwhile

https://twitter.com/TimesofIsrael/status/1041849563307376641

That Sputnik clip is really terrible.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Yet another Ukrainian missile?!

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Nenonen posted:

Yet another Ukrainian missile?!

Nah, blaming the French this time.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-45556290

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

OddObserver posted:

The first two are actually true, though (in a specific sense for the first one).
I know, but the issue is usually taken out of context or overblown in proportion, e.g. russian engines used on all US rockets (instead of one stage of Atlas V) or conveniently not mentioning stuff like Dragon and CST-100 crew capsules. Of course, blunders like Fobos-Grunt mission or Proton-M sensors installed upside-down are never mentioned.

Now that I read more about Fobos-Grunt mission, some unidentified Russian official also blamed US for the failure of Fobos-Grunt back in 2012 and that information also appeared in Kommersant https://www.smh.com.au/technology/oops-radar-may-have-caused-space-crash-20120117-1q4ea.html

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Man at this rate we'll be able to just combine all the ME and Russia threads. Save a lot of time that

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Paladinus posted:

It's not a schism. The largest Orthodox schism in modern history has happened when the unrecognised Kievan Patriarchate was established. Now it's the opposite, because the aim is to give actual canonical recognition to Ukraine's claim for their own autocephalous church. The problem is, of course, that not all Ukrainian Orthodox Christians from all existing demominations (the official Moscow Patriarchate is nominally the most numerous, followed by non-canonical Kievan Patriarchate and Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church) would want to join the newly proclaimed patriarchate. Around 20% of Ukrainians outside of occupied territories (meaning no Crimea, and Donbass) feel strongly against autocephaly according to polls. At this point in time Ukrainian autocephaly will cause a lot of unrest and religious violence, especially when the new patriarchate and other churches start fighting over ecclesial property and land, exacerbating pre-existing conflicts between Greek Catholics and aforementioned Orthodox Christians. It's happened many times before, and is bound to happen again. This, in turn, may help Russia's support on occupied territories, or at least opposition to Ukrainian government, from general population.

Well, apparently Russian Orthodox Church threatens to break up with Constantinople if Kiev Patriarchy is granted autocephaly. I don't think this happened in recent memory (or ever?)

Also, not sure what kind of religious violence is that supposed to cause since the splinter group in question is de-facto independant from ROC for 20+ years and are just asking for official recognition.

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Sep 19, 2018

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Fun fact: bickering among Orthodox Patriarchs is why the Church of St. John Coltrane is technically recognized as an Orthodox church.

Also the reason they've been forced to downgrade Mr. Coltrane from Christ incarnate to mere patron saint.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Sekenr posted:

Well, apparently Russian Orthodox Church threatens to break up with Constantinople if Kiev Patriarchy is granted autocephaly. I don't think this happened in recent memory (or ever?)

Also, not sure what kind of religious violence is that supposed to cause since the splinter group in question is de-facto independant from ROC for 20+ years and are just asking for official recognition.

Romanian and Bulgarian autocephalies were also born through some canonical disputes. The difference back then was that Russia actually supported those autocephalies, while Constantinople for some time considered them schisms.

And no, this is not about just UOC(KP). A completely new entity will be created, a canonical autocephalous Church, that any parish, be it UAOC, UOC(KP), or UOC(MP) will be free to join. The step is supposed to unite all three existing churches that have no theological disagreements under one Ukrainian Patriarch recognised by Constantinople and other autocephalous Orthodox churches (and most likely it's not going to be Philaret, current leader of UOC(KP)). Naturally, parishes are going to be split on the decision to join, especially the ones in Eastern Ukraine, and there is going to be a lot of pressure on them, because Ukrainian government is openly hostile to a religious organisation that is technically controlled from the state they are involved in a military conflict with.

Note: UOC = Ukrainian Orthodox Church, KP = Kyivan Patriarchate (a splinter group created after the collapse of USSR, when Moscow ignored Kyiv's plea for autocephaly), MP = Moscow Patriarchate (the only Ukrainian Orthodox denomination canonically recognised by other Orthodox churches), UAOC = Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church (another splinter group, created after revolution and re-established in the 90s).

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Lichtenstein posted:

Fun fact: bickering among Orthodox Patriarchs is why the Church of St. John Coltrane is technically recognized as an Orthodox church.

Also the reason they've been forced to downgrade Mr. Coltrane from Christ incarnate to mere patron saint.

No, it isn't. It belongs to the African Orthodox Church, which is de-facto an Episcopalian denomination not recognised by any canonical Orthodox Church.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

We just published Skripal Suspects Confirmed as GRU Operatives: Prior European Operations Disclosedout latest on the Skripal case[/b], it's one I'm particularly proud of:

quote:

An analysis of phone numbers, batch passport sequence numbers, and border crossing data link definitively link the two Skripal poisoning suspects to Russian secret service.

Leaked passport files show "top secret" annotations and a "do not provide information" stamp, alongside other data. Bellingcat and the Insider have obtained documents proving that the number on the suspects’ stamps is identical to a telephone number that belongs to the Ministry of Defense, and is located at Khoroshevskoe Chausse. The only military unit at or near Khoroshevskoe Chausse is the headquarters of the GRU.

More damning are the international passport numbers of the suspects. The passports were issued by a special agency that does not report to the centralized registrar of Russian government-issued ID’s. Using data from the passport of a different confirmed GRU officer — Col. Eduard Shishmakov — we compared the number with the numbers of the (cover-identity) passports of “Petrov” and “Boshirov”. The numbers are from the same batch, with only 26 intervening passport numbers between “Petrov”’s and “Shirokov”’s.

Border crossing data for "Petrov" suggests that he did a lot more in Western Europe than meets the eye. For example, a source in a Western European law-enforcement agency informed Bellingcat that Petrov and Boshirov were arrested on the territory of the Netherlands. No information was provided as to the time and context of such arrests. European media previously reported arrests and deportation of two unidentified Russian spies on Dutch soil; leaked police information linked the arrests with attempts to smuggle hacking equipment to Switzerland.

The full article is here with more details. It might be the article that finally gets me killed, so it's worth a look.

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Sep 20, 2018

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Ha! Wow.

I can't tell if they're being sloppy or if this is normal.

" In a previous report, the Insider identified that Col. Shirokov wired funds to a co-conspirator in Serbia via Western Union, using the address of the GRU headquarters as the “Sender” address."

I hope that it wasnt in fact the same passport as in the Netherlands. It would be a baffling failure of intelligence sharing for this passport to not get watchlisted or blacklisted generally after having been ejected for such an incident.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

CBC article citing the Bellingcat article and again implying that domestically this is going over like a leaf balloon:

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4833212

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
stay safe Bacon ghost

also spread out and clone your site structure so other people can pick it up and run with it as needed

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

We've got even more stuff coming as well, and now there's Russian outlets following up on our work and find more stuff that verifies our own work, so that's a problem for the Russian government when they're trying to make out it's just Bellingcat being mean to Russia. Meduza has some info on the Russian media's follow up:
https://meduza.io/en/feature/2018/09/23/yeah-it-s-the-gru-hq-so-what

Brown Moses fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Sep 23, 2018

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Brown Moses posted:

We've got even more stuff coming as well, and now there's Russian outlets following up on our work and find more stuff that verifies our own work, so that's a problem for the Russian government when they're trying to make out it's just Bellingcat being mean to Russia. Meduza has some info on the Russian media's follow up:
https://meduza.io/en/feature/2018/09/23/yeah-it-s-the-gru-hq-so-what

Well, Meduza is Latvian so obviously just a NATO shill press.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Well, Meduza is Latvian so obviously just a NATO shill press.

It's a summary of work done by Fontanka in Russia, so that's a harder one for them to argue against. I think they were the Russian organisation who first published the second suspects passport, with the same weirdness as the first suspect's passport. We've got some great stuff coming up on this as well, hopefully we'll be able to have it out early next week. The irony is, if it wasn't for the Russia Today interview with the suspects, we wouldn't have got as much interest in the article we published, which led to people reaching out to us with more information, which further undermines the claims of the suspects. It's great.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Brown Moses posted:

It's a summary of work done by Fontanka in Russia, so that's a harder one for them to argue against. I think they were the Russian organisation who first published the second suspects passport, with the same weirdness as the first suspect's passport. We've got some great stuff coming up on this as well, hopefully we'll be able to have it out early next week. The irony is, if it wasn't for the Russia Today interview with the suspects, we wouldn't have got as much interest in the article we published, which led to people reaching out to us with more information, which further undermines the claims of the suspects. It's great.

Haha. Yeah I think on the Russian side Insider worked with you, then Fontanka confirmed then and I think I caught some Novaya Gazeta involvement, but I do not remember on the spot.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Could we consider Finland honorary Eastern Europeans (like a reverse Estonia?).... 'cause Russian shell companies buying up strategic naval locations and surplus naval vessels sure shows they're far more involved in the regions politics than they'd probably prefer too...

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

OddObserver posted:

Could we consider Finland honorary Eastern Europeans (like a reverse Estonia?).... 'cause Russian shell companies buying up strategic naval locations and surplus naval vessels sure shows they're far more involved in the regions politics than they'd probably prefer too...

News article here

Finpol discussion here

It's not surprising as it has been in public knowledge for a while, the strategic situation in the Baltic Sea area involves neutral countries Finland and Sweden as long as there are tensions between Russia and NATO. While the Russian businesses in Turku archipelago are shrouded in mystery, geography makes them highly interesting.

In the event of increased NATO-Russia hostilities and possible conflict in the Baltic states - Kaliningrad axis, Finland's Åland and Sweden's Gotland would be of great strategic value for the supply of both the three Baltic republics and the Kaliningrad enclave. Åland is demilitarized under international treaties and Gotland too has only a very small garrison. Åland would be manned if a war started, and this would likely happen from naval bases in Turku. Airiston Helmi company has bought island estates along all of the main waterways along the path and has no real business activities, so it's hard to see a legit reason for this. So far the Finnish police is only looking into money laundering, but I would expect that Finnish military intelligence will also use the opportunity to go through the premises and make recommendations to the parliament.

Last year the FDF seized a decayed holiday centre next to military training area near Russian border after Russian investors were looking to purchase the place. There are lots of Russian owned vacation cabins in Finland and most of it looks legit - Finland is close to St. Petersburg and it is safe to vacation here compared to Russia and the investments are also safe from Russian government, but then there are also many mysterious estate purchases around strategic targets.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I wish a western power could "green men" Kaliningrad using all the same BS tactics russia used on Crimea and even stage a "fair referendum" afterwards. Something tells me Russia's reaction would not to be to flop over and throw some weak sanctions like the west did.

It may lead to a nuclear war, but it must be done in the name of pretty borders.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

I wish a western power could "green men" Kaliningrad using all the same BS tactics russia used on Crimea and even stage a "fair referendum" afterwards. Something tells me Russia's reaction would not to be to flop over and throw some weak sanctions like the west did.

It may lead to a nuclear war, but it must be done in the name of pretty borders.

I doubt many Western European countries would be up for the ethnic cleansing and murder of political opponents parts of that plan.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Brown Moses posted:

I think some of that is the sheer contempt of the "cover up" and the laziness of the RT interview. Like sure MoD can put out nonsensical crap, people are used to that. But when they can poke holes in a story that isn't presented as a fait accompli by a government organ they'll be more tempted to do so.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

That's more or less what they believe NATO did in Kosovo.

Also, nobody wants any part of Russia. They tried to peddle Kaliningrad back to Germany back in the 90s and Germany just laughed and told them that Russia is Russia's problem.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Warbadger posted:

I doubt many Western European countries would be up for the ethnic cleansing and murder of political opponents parts of that plan.

Luckily the most likely candidate for the annexation is Poland.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I think there was something about Kaliningrad having amazing toxic environmental problems. It's not a very attractive strip of territory afaik.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

They tried to peddle Kaliningrad back to Germany back in the 90s and Germany just laughed and told them that Russia is Russia's problem.

I'd like more info on that. Sounds interesting.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

TBH not having a border with Russia would be amazing for Poland. Dealing with environmental pollution and a lot of new pensioners (younger people would gently caress off west the moment they'd get EU passports) would be worth it if it just made Eye of Sauron target Poland less often.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

FSB has launched investigation aiming for people who provided passport data of Skripal poisoners. The responsible people are said to face serious consequences.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

aphid_licker posted:

I think there was something about Kaliningrad having amazing toxic environmental problems. It's not a very attractive strip of territory afaik.
The HIV epidemic in that region during the 90s-00s didn't help, either.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

cinci zoo sniper posted:

FSB has launched investigation aiming for people who provided passport data of Skripal poisoners. The responsible people are said to face serious consequences.

It's too late anyway.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
did the sequential passport numbers thing end up true? Not just for these two, but for a whole host of gru operatives?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
cause lmao

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Brown Moses posted:

It's too late anyway.

Never too late for a Gulag workation, comrade.

Rinkles posted:

did the sequential passport numbers thing end up true? Not just for these two, but for a whole host of gru operatives?

Probably, and probably not any much longer.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

aphid_licker posted:

The USSR had lead smelting plants there that they took from the Nazis after the war.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

So nice of them to put lead smelting plants on the westernmost part of their State instead of some middle of nowhere steppe.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

alex314 posted:

So nice of them to put lead smelting plants on the westernmost part of their State instead of some middle of nowhere steppe.

I'm pretty sure it was because they didn't have to move the equipment very far or it might have already been there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Sometimes you just have an unfortunate schmelting accident