Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
The "meant as a joke" thing doesn't make them not STDH though. It's like those letters. Most people know they aren't real, but the way they are presented is intended to make them look real. It's part of the joke, but not a part everyone gets. I'm sure there are a lot of people out there sharing those like "lol isn't it amazing what computers can do these days???"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Also, the "it was always meant to be a joke" is the first defense of someone who was trying to claim their internet cred by posting STDH but was caught in their lie.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
CinemaSins are just making jokes, you guys! It's sarcasm ex machina!

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Not to defend everyone doing it, but getting mad that Keaton Patti's fake scripts are jokes is like getting mad that Levi Johnston didn't really write for Something Awful, or complaining that Mad Magazine isn't 100% factual.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Twitch posted:

Not to defend everyone doing it, but getting mad that Keaton Patti's fake scripts are jokes is like getting mad that Levi Johnston didn't really write for Something Awful, or complaining that Mad Magazine isn't 100% factual.

It's more that it's a fake-out, the real thing is hilarious to me so when I see someone claim something is a predicative or neural net gibberish post only to see an obvious and extremely unfunny fake I am dissapointed.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
It's become an obvious joke format on twitter. :shrug:

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

yeah I eat rear end posted:

The "meant as a joke" thing doesn't make them not STDH though. It's like those letters. Most people know they aren't real, but the way they are presented is intended to make them look real. It's part of the joke, but not a part everyone gets. I'm sure there are a lot of people out there sharing those like "lol isn't it amazing what computers can do these days???"

Right, death of the author. If people are treating it as real, it’s okay to judge it by that standard.

BrigadierSensible posted:

Also, the "it was always meant to be a joke" is the first defense of someone who was trying to claim their internet cred by posting STDH but was caught in their lie.

That too.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Fathis Munk posted:

It's poo poo and lame though??

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

JebanyPedal posted:

It's more that it's a fake-out, the real thing is hilarious to me so when I see someone claim something is a predicative or neural net gibberish post only to see an obvious and extremely unfunny fake I am dissapointed.

This is why I'm subscribed to Janelle Shane's mailing list. I know I'm getting the real thing, and I know I'm probably gonna laugh myself stupid at it.

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

There was also a parody (which I can't find now) of these fake bot posts where someone said they'd forced a bot to read the fake posts for 1000 hours, and the "result" was based partly on Waiting for Godot. They also said that the bot killed itself afterward.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Fathis Munk posted:

Aren't most of those 1000 hours posts meant as jokes? Like after the few original bot written ones it just turned into a joke format imo.

E: from that saw one

https://twitter.com/beardontcare/status/970728801847136257?s=19

IDK I hate this stuff.

Its basically some nitwit on the internet pulling the puppetmaster defense.

"No, you moron, I said something wrong ON PURPOSE! GOT YOU!"

Like okay dude good for you

yeah I eat rear end posted:

This

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Fathis Munk posted:

And twitter is dumb. So who cares?

How hard would it be to make the "joke" something that shows its self-aware, so that ACTUAL neural net outputs (which DO absolutely exist) don't get caught up in this silly "joke" bullshit?

Like can we just say "I didn't force a bot to watch 1000 hours of X and here's the output" ? Would that change the joke in any significant way, other than dropping the ruse?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

also absolutely none of Keaton Patti's poo poo is funny

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Zaphod42 posted:

And twitter is dumb. So who cares?

How hard would it be to make the "joke" something that shows its self-aware, so that ACTUAL neural net outputs (which DO absolutely exist) don't get caught up in this silly "joke" bullshit?

Like can we just say "I didn't force a bot to watch 1000 hours of X and here's the output" ? Would that change the joke in any significant way, other than dropping the ruse?

Absolves you of the possible sin of being terrible and unfunny because you can blame it on the computer.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Yeah it's a way of dressing up super mediocre gags.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What would happen if you fed it 1,000 Not Always Right stories?

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Jay Rust posted:

I think you now know what you must
do.

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

Jay Rust posted:

Then the subsequent robot uprising would be entirely justified.

But I think someone might have already tried that in this thread or a previous iteration thereof.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

burial posted:

I think you now know what you must
do.

Yes, that's stdh they're speaking, and no, these posters aren't retail employees - they're bots.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Pastry of the Year posted:

Yes, that's stdh they're speaking, and no, these posters aren't retail employees - they're bots.

:golfclap:

Absolutely perfect. Made my day.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Jay Rust posted:

Didn't someone make a bot or something that generated random Not Always Right stories? I think I remember it coming up in this thread.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
And what's with knock-knock jokes? Most of the time when people tell them. they're not even knocking on a real door! Maybe tell the joke without making poo poo up next time, fuckwit.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Comptroll The Forums posted:

And what's with knock-knock jokes? Most of the time when people tell them. they're not even knocking on a real door! Maybe tell the joke without making poo poo up next time, fuckwit.

Don't get me started on absurdist humour. That poo poo doesn't even make sense!

GAINING WEIGHT...
Mar 26, 2007

See? Science proves the JewsMuslims are inferior and must be purged! I'm not a racist, honest!

Comptroll The Forums posted:

Okay you KNOW that’s a disingenuous comparison so why even make it

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

GAINING WEIGHT... posted:

Okay you KNOW that’s a disingenuous comparison so why even make it

haha caught you, I was a puppet master all along :smug:

nothing personnel, kid

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
You can do what I do: scroll right past anything labeled "I forced an AI to do X for 1,000 hours and it wrote this".
I want the self-aware AI to just write out "gently caress you, dude. you watch 1,000 hours of Sanford and Son"

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Aleph Null posted:

You can do what I do: scroll right past anything labeled "I forced an AI to do X for 1,000 hours and it wrote this".
I want the self-aware AI to just write out "gently caress you, dude. you watch 1,000 hours of Sanford and Son"

That would be a great idea for a Twitter bot, especially since the joke is in such a predictable format it would be easy to parse.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Aleph Null posted:

Sanford & Son was a great show.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

If you're programming an AI, would it make any difference if you made it watch the SAW movies once or over and over for 1000 hours?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

SkunkDuster posted:

If you're programming an AI, would it make any difference if you made it watch the SAW movies once or over and over for 1000 hours?

The second way, you'd have a thousand hours before it killed you.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

PhotoKirk posted:

Sanford & Son was a great show.

:agreed: Redd Foxx was a treasure.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

SkunkDuster posted:

Not sure if you were being serious, but yes it could. Ideally you'd have a large enough data set that you're not just repeating yourself, you want a diverse training set or you end up optimizing based on certain sub-problems that aren't always the case.

But yes, doing training over a set of data for more iterations can have a huge effect on the output even if you don't change up the data set.

If anything, having a bot watch 1000 hours of saw 1 would probably give better output than having a bot watch 100 hours of saw 1-5. But its hard to say without doing some testing and training.

That's a solid question though, it makes sense that if the data doesn't change and if it were a purely deterministic algorithm, you'd get the same output each time, you're right. But the thing is since each training iteration uses the neural net that the last iteration made as its starting point, modifies that, and outputs a new neural net, each time even though you're inputting the same movie, you're not inputting the same machine state, so you do get different results. Generally the more training the better, it just dials in closer and closer to the best fit solution it can find.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

That's a solid question though, it makes sense that if the data doesn't change and if it were a purely deterministic algorithm, you'd get the same output each time, you're right. But the thing is since each training iteration uses the neural net that the last iteration made as its starting point, modifies that, and outputs a new neural net, each time even though you're inputting the same movie, you're not inputting the same machine state, so you do get different results. Generally the more training the better, it just dials in closer and closer to the best fit solution it can find.

I was being serious and figured you would get the same output each time, but what you say makes good sense. Thanks!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

SkunkDuster posted:

I was being serious and figured you would get the same output each time, but what you say makes good sense. Thanks!

Imagine watching a movie you like once vs many times. You're going to change how you think about it.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

I'm glad the parents were beat until they were red.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

https://twitter.com/Amandycat/status/1042552698778923010

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I can believe a PhD student did that, but the students' responses are all certainly in her head. I have never seen a teacher play a song for the class that evoked any kind of response other than awkward silence and glancing around like "is she really going to play the whole thing?". It's lazy "teaching", she might as well have thrown mrs doubtfire on the tv like a high school teacher that needs to sleep off a hangover, it would have taught them just as much (nothing).

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Good song tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Foolians
Mar 16, 2006
Long live the King!

Ugh, is there a reason why this person that claims to be a teacher is so against using punctuation at the ends of sentences?