Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Lladre posted:

I for one am excited to watch the citizen's con this coming October.

IIRC, Erin didn't want to do any cons this year as he considers them a massive waste of resources.

Chris wanted to do games and cit cons, so they reached a fraternal compromise and Oct 10th is Chris Big Day Out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Lladre posted:

I for one am excited to watch the citizen's con this coming October.

YOUTUBE: Calling All Devs - Of Space Stations & Orbits

CitizenCon is all about that player housing dream...

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

G0RF posted:

Remember when FFXI allowed players to show off their rooms to other players. They went nuts!
And that was just a windowless 4 meter box that got an upstairs in a patch.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

G0RF posted:

Is a 1:1000 viewing normal?

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

G0RF posted:

I never realized they were actually going to have planets revolving around a star, hahahahahaha the incredibly horrible bugs that will result!

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

monkeytek posted:

I never realized they were actually going to have planets revolving around a star, hahahahahaha the incredibly horrible bugs that will result!

cant wait for a planet to collide with a tiny bit of space debris and go shooting off into juddery space

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

monkeytek posted:

L4 + L5 are easy enough, because they’re 60 degrees ahead and behind.

Yeah, their orbits will have to be pinned.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

colonelwest posted:

There's a lot of great things happening in the indie sphere, and you have some former indie studios like CDPR achieving huge success thanks to the PC and becoming industry leaders in their own right. However, the space sim revival is still pretty niche and the games are relatively low budget and small in scope. It's a genre that could really use some AAA love. It's a shame that so much time, effort and money has been wasted on SC. Can you imagine what frontier could have done with a 200 million dollar budget for ED?

The genre was exploited by Call of Duty, found wanting, and already abandoned. Frontier would never get that amount of money because Elite isn't that kind of game. I'm a big fan of Elite from a game design perspective; Frontier has clearly done a wonderful job of making sure every aspect of gameplay, visuals, and audio is really tight and coherent. What they haven't done is make a game that's particularly compelling outside of the audience that they already have, and I don't think more money would change that. Chris was right; the whole point of Star Citizen was that it was big, that it was adventurous, that it did push boundaries. Unfortunately the same enthusiasm and attitude that made it viable for Chris to start the game also guarantees he'll never finish it.

There are AAA teams working on the space genre. Bethesda has Starfield, Ubisoft has Beyond Good & Evil 2. Both will be out, played, and forgotten long before Chris Roberts manages to poo poo out anything remotely resembling a commercial product.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Chris was right; the whole point of Star Citizen was that it was big, that it was adventurous, that it did push boundaries. Unfortunately the same enthusiasm and attitude that made it viable for Chris to start the game also guarantees he'll never finish it.

Damnit - phrases like this make it hard to laugh at this ludicrous joke of a project and instead make me feel sad for the potential it had. It was a grand idea, just like everyone else I had my own idealized version of what it could be, the money came in to make it (which is usually the insurmountable obstacle) and every dime was burned at the altar of ineptitude. It's great all these other games are picking up the slack, but I'm still very hungry for a proper space MMO-alike (Earth and Beyond, Star Trek, Star Control, etc.) It doesn't have to be Elite big - just feel big and thought out.

In other words, gently caress fidelity - give me Star Wars space opera with a dash of Guardians of the Galaxy and some Babylon 5 - you know the drill. That's what I wanted. It's what CIG will never deliver.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Slow_Moe posted:

Crobbers doesn't take pot shots, he just steals from them instead. He will probably announce that there will be subspace radio stations in SC, complete with the radio DJ dream job that some of the backers want.

Also a radio ship somehow, 350$, new money only thanks.

Oh you're close. It will be a render to texture full body motion and mouth sync holo-DJ because that requires motion capture instead of just audio recording. :colbert:

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Rebel Galaxy Outlaw is going to be amazing I hope and make SC fans upset/desperately try to convince themselves how SC is gonna be even better.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Well hell I want to carry crates and place them in vending machines. And this goes without saying, rape things.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Been busy with new baby, has Chris Roberts vision been realized yet?

Please answer in the form of a JPG.

Congratulations!!! :)

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

The Titanic posted:

Oh you're close. It will be a render to texture full body motion and mouth sync holo-DJ because that requires motion capture instead of just audio recording. :colbert:

Somewhere clifford aka miku just got a boner, and he doesn't know why.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Scruffpuff posted:

The only time I have any cognitive dissonance about whether or not this is an intentional scam today (I doubt many think it was originally) is when they have free fly weekends.

On the one hand, if it was a real scam, why in the hell would they proudly trot out this garbage fire for the entire world to see, "play," and reach the conclusion that it's not even fit to be a failed model viewer? Why would a scam proudly display its ugly interior so openly? Surely they think they're making a game and that this hot poo poo would impress somebody? Could it be they're really so out of touch that they think what they're showing is cool and good - as opposed to the macaroni drawing that the gaming public is politely pinning to its collective refrigerator?

On the other hand, CIG's M.O. has always been Refuge in Audacity. Having the balls to allow anyone in the general public to download and play this thing is the biggest display of "call my bluff" in history. Perhaps the thinking is that no true scam would have the balls to upload their scrambled poo poo-code to the merciless scrutiny of the entire internet, so by doing exactly that, they're inoculating themselves against further accusation.

I really don't know which way to call this one, which is why I'll never be a proper warlord.

You actually answered your own question. People try the free fly weekend after reading all these glowing user comments and watching these videos of 50 people having fun in a single ship. Part of their brain doesn't want to miss out, so they will magically see things that aren't there.
Cognitive dissonance at work.

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

ManofManyAliases posted:

Can someone catch me up on the last 1k pages or so? Is SC good yet?

Yes, and now that you're here, so is the thread. :justpost:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

citizen con carnie

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

monkeytek posted:

WKRP brought back a lot of memories, the "walls" and "door" for Les Nessman are so perfect for SC fanatics and the crap they pretend exists or is definitely coming.

"As god is my witness, I thought servers could mesh."

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

monkeytek posted:

Well for starters you'd never be able to catch up with a planet given how slow SC ships are... and that they all have a top speed.

About the only way I can think of that they could handle that by having a "bubble" around the planet where a velocity of zero is stationary relative to the planet. Kinda like KSP's hacky "sphere of influence" mechanic, except everything in the bubble is going faster then your ship could ever fly.

Of course if you ever left that bubble, or glitched so it didn't apply to you, the planet would suddenly either shoot away or towards you at several thousand miles per hour.

Preen Dog
Nov 8, 2017

The solution is to place the planets at Lagrange points.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Lladre posted:

Remember when FFXI allowed players to show off their rooms to other players. They went nuts!
And that was just a windowless 4 meter box that got an upstairs in a patch.

This time is different — FFXI was not a real game.:smuggo:

ManofManyAliases posted:

Can someone catch me up on the last 1k pages or so? Is SC good yet?

The signal to noise ratio improved noticeably in your absence for some weird reason. :smuggo:

Speaking of that, BoredGamer actually put out a useful video!

YOUTUBE: BoredGamer - A Terrifying Survey of Engineering Debts

quote:

It looks to me, over all these years, that more features they talked about and integrated into game, somehow the game became emptier. Like the game disintegrated into lot of features amd mechanics, 90% of which will never reach the potential in full. ED, EVE used their ideas to the max, some other games too, but SC wanted too much, yet will acomplish too little. Maybe, if 5 more years of development were possible, they might be able to pull something playable and entertaining, but only if they use the existing resouces and tech, and focus on planets diversity, universe diversity, adding hundreds of players to single server or instance, etx. Otherwise, too many things, techs, mechanics, none of which look acually good. There is 10 times more to do in Deus Ex, than in whole predicted SC universe.

quote:

This. Half of the loops are totally vague at best and left to our dreams. But they are also promised already which is the bad part.

This game has no idea what it wants to be and it feels readily apparent as everyones idea of this game is drastically different.

quote:

This video depressed me after it made me realize how much mechanics are needed for a finished 1.0 version.

quote:

The amount of outstanding content makes me reconsider my expenditure on the game.

quote:

So there will be this and that and potentially this and in the future there will be that and we will be able to do this and that with 20 of those and there planning these and those with the prospect of this and that and some point in the future playing as this with that mechanic and future npc and mechanic with this and that.

Aqua Seafoam Shame
Aug 20, 2018

by astral
This WKRP love is making me smile. Here's a fun fact: the show was originally meant to revolve around Andy Travis. The theme song is basically his backstory. He even says a line from it in one of the episodes.

Oh yeah, also: booger.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Preen Dog posted:

The solution is to place the planets at Lagrange points.

:same:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

There is an excellent interview at MOP with Mark Jacobs. Read and be amazed by the contrast with Chris Roberts, keeping in mind that Jacobs has put millions of his own money into his game.

MASSIVELYOP: DragonCon 2018: Camelot Unchained’s Mark Jacobs on VR, battle royale, and more

quote:

“I know how hard it is for devs teams to meet all the things that they may have promised during their Kickstarters and beyond. We can absolutely be one of those who say, ‘yup look at our list’ and say ‘see guys? We did it. We fulfilled the obligations of our kickstarter and post kickstarter backing by meeting these milestones.’ The rest is just getting the game out.“

quote:

“We’ve kept every promise. One of the things that we’re very proud of is the fact that the things that we laid out are still the things that we’re planing on doing, We haven’t made a single major chance to any one of them. When we scoped it, we scoped it in a manner that we believed we could deliver on. Now we didn’t think that it would be this frigging slow… It’s one thing to be slow and then under-deliver; on the other hand when you are slow and then you deliver an engine made by this small team that can do things that no other engine in the world can do – that’s a whole different story.”

quote:

“Would I love to have a battle royale game that is making a billion dollars? Yes! Of course I would! But not at the cost of losing the backers faith.”

As with Rebel Galaxy Outlaw, I hope the game delivers, and that Jacobs and his team earn the critical praise and rewards they deserve. Not just for making cool games, but for creating them honorably. In this day and age, it’s drat heroic.

BONUS QUOTE: Make My MMO: Project Gorgon builds a new city, Camelot Unchained teases Star Citizen

quote:

Camelot Unchained’s beta one continues with new stuff too; CSE says it’s been hard at work on the crafting UI and crafting system, among other bits. Notably, it’s promising a live presentation of the mage class for backers and followers. “You will not need to buy a ticket to see this presentation,” CSE’s Tyler Rockwell says in a clear dig on Star Citizen. Ouch!

G0RF fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Sep 18, 2018

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

monkeytek posted:

Forget bugs, it is just a terrible idea. People are terrible at navigating static 3D spaces. You want to throw in orbits and rotations people will have no idea where anything is in relation to anything else. It's pointless feature that just serves to confuse people in a game where landing and taking off from a planet is super easy and happens multiple times per hour. It's why games like No Man's Sky cut it completely. The only games that should have it are the ones that are actually interested in simulation.

Also CIG wants one hour days on their planets and world war 2 fighter plane speeds for their spaces ships. Any real attempt at proper orbit will have planets and moons moving too fast for the ships.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
I dunno man CIG have managed to keep a lot of whales from achieving escape velocity with their money, and surely they have learned something from their orbiting fanboys.

Fangrim
Aug 23, 2017

Every day I hate the world just a tiny bit more...

Scruffpuff posted:

Damnit - phrases like this make it hard to laugh at this ludicrous joke of a project and instead make me feel sad for the potential it had. It was a grand idea, just like everyone else I had my own idealized version of what it could be, the money came in to make it (which is usually the insurmountable obstacle) and every dime was burned at the altar of ineptitude. It's great all these other games are picking up the slack, but I'm still very hungry for a proper space MMO-alike (Earth and Beyond, Star Trek, Star Control, etc.) It doesn't have to be Elite big - just feel big and thought out.

In other words, gently caress fidelity - give me Star Wars space opera with a dash of Guardians of the Galaxy and some Babylon 5 - you know the drill. That's what I wanted. It's what CIG will never deliver.

I have often wondered why Chris Roberts or someone at CIG didn't pull the brakes at any time.

At some point, relatively early on in development, someone had to realize, that there is no chance in Hell that this game could be made with CryEngine. No amount of money, man hours, or tweaking can force this engine to perform the way Chris sold the game.

Why the gently caress didn't they just say "Listen guys... We're sorry but we bit off more than we can chew! There will be instances and some loading transitions, but we'll do the utmost to make this game as close to our initial promise as humanly possible!

They're mired in an engineering debt that they haven't got any chance to get out of, but still they're adding to their engineering debt, and no end in sight.

It's mindboggling!

Fangrim fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Sep 18, 2018

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Fangrim posted:

I have often wondered why Chris Roberts or someone at CIG didn't pull the brakes at any time.

At some point, relatively early on in development, someone had to realize, that there is no chance in Hell that this game could be made with CryEngine. No amount of money, man hours, or tweaking can force this engine to perform the way Chris sold the game.

Why the gently caress didn't they just say "Listen guys... We're sorry but we bit off more than we can chew! There will be instances and some loading transitions, but we'll do the utmost to make this game as close to our initial promise as humanly possible!

They're mired in an engineering debt that that haven't got any chance to get out of, but still they're adding to their engineering debt, and no end in sight.

It's mindboggling!

Chris Roberts doesn't like being told something can't be done.

Fangrim
Aug 23, 2017

Every day I hate the world just a tiny bit more...

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Chris Roberts doesn't like being told something can't be done.

I know... But still!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
True story: during a recent attempt to get things ready for CitizenCon, Chris offered this helpful tidbit to his engineering team regarding poor server performance: "Have you run a defrag?"

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Scruffpuff posted:

True story: during a recent attempt to get things ready for CitizenCon, Chris offered this helpful tidbit to his engineering team regarding poor server performance: "Have you run a defrag?"

I think you have to delete the cookies before you do that though.

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice

Fangrim posted:

They're mired in an engineering debt that that haven't got any chance to get out of, but still they're adding to their engineering debt, and no end in sight.

It's mindboggling!

realistic views of the project and reigning in the scope won't pay for trips to Monaco and Sandi's "acting" career

Aqua Seafoam Shame
Aug 20, 2018

by astral

Scruffpuff posted:

Might want to run CCleaner first. Or repartition the hard drive.

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.

Scruffpuff posted:

I suppose anyone who would give the logical response of "That's not how this works. That's not how any of this works." would have been fired by now.

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

Scruffpuff posted:

Gotta get rid of the smeg before you defrag, that's just common sense. C'mon now, Chris

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Hard to do that when the smeg is the one asking for a defrag.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
I went for a holiday with the wife and kids and hell Star Citizen isn't out yet?

Spatial posted:

Of course all of this is autistic sidetracking

I enjoyed the :laffo: sidetracking for 64bit floats vs ints vs double and with zero relation to declaration and conversion of values thereof. Seems to be this is exactly what CIG is doing, randomly declaring a var and loving it up cause nobody knows what it is and they reuse / redeclare, didn't convert said variable and in the end it becomes a good version of "pass the message". This is a good way of loving something up and it passes review cause it screws up the lead. Also the lead is poo poo cause they allow this to happen. But CR is awesome and we know this will never happen cause he scrutinizes each line of code for Star Citizen.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's a great example of passionate industry veterans making something they love, and I'm excited to pick it up.
Game is going to be on a Nintendo Switch, which is my primary platform right now. I mean, gently caress consoles, right?

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Elite isn't that kind of game. I'm a big fan of Elite from a game design perspective; Frontier has clearly done a wonderful job of making sure every aspect of gameplay, visuals, and audio is really tight and coherent.
Elite has a tight vision and Frontier isn't going to allow money (or public opinion) to change their direction. I'm positive that Braben has a very clear set of objectives to achieve and he will arrive, whether is the same vision that players want, well he is making the game he wants, so my opinions be damned. What we do know (quoting reddit) is that they have a big expansion for Elite next year, which may or may not screw us lifetime pass holders over, I do hope they follow Warframe and give us lifetime pass / alpha / beta backers an equivalent of Warframes "Excalibur Prime" variant of a ship.

HoneyBakedMAN
Oct 26, 2007
Sliced for babewiches

Bayonnefrog posted:

I seriously doubt Sandi has any degrees at all. At most probably the one from the school in Australia she claims. Not the two or three claimed from UCLA. Maybe attended never graduated. She acts and talks like a fake navy seal to me.

Wouldn't this be incredibly easy to find out? I can type the name of my dissertation in google and find it easily. I've also heard of journalists contacting universities to verify the credentials of famous people. Why isn't DSmart on this yet?

I remember a hilarious interview where someone asked her what was the topic of her marketing thesis and she said 'um...international marketing' or something vague and stupid like that. Anyone who's actually been through the hell of writing a thesis/dissertation would be eager to go into some detail about what they worked on.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
I graduated top of my class in tickling

I can tickle the pink right off a flamingo, I tells ya what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

MarcusSA posted:

I think you have to delete the cookies before you do that though.

Clean the registry and load highmem.