Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
It's so easy to get to a point where you're swimming in money in this game. For whatever reason, it feels like SC4 still has more gameplay.

Has paradox talked about future plans for Cities: Skylines? I love this game, don't get me wrong, but I want more meat on the bone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

TalonDemonKing posted:

New player here. No DLC besides the free ones. What am I getting into besides accidently polluting my drinking water with my sewage water?

Any tips besides not putting your sewage up stream?

Large cities can produce enough sewage volume and require enough fresh water inflow that they can reverse the flow of smaller waterways, so you want to put your outflow as far downstream as possible and your intake as far upstream as possible and preferably put them on waterways that aren't directly connected to eachother.

Also note that water intake thingies will hoover up the same amount of volume regardless of your city's actual need, so don't just place down 57 of them in one spot while your city's tiny, but just drop a couple at a time to keep ahead of your needs.

Other than that most of our collective knowledge is about unfucking traffic and making pretty cities.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

In the early game it's good to fiddle with the budget sliders so you're not wasting money providing too much services to you tiny city

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Skylines players generally go through a few phases in their path to the misery of detailing.

-Playing the vanilla game as intended. It seems fun, even a slight challenge! Things unlock, there's a sense of progress, that chirpy is cute.
-Playing the game unlocked. You've figured out the basics and understand why your previous few cities failed, if you had the full toolset available from the start you could do much better and you're pretty done with the progression mechanics.
-Infinite Money. There's no time limit in the game, time is limitless, money is only a function of time, so why wait? Besides, you've got some big plans that are way easier to do if you can lay out a ton of infrastructure from the start and not worry about being in the red while things build out.
-Mod Creep. Well I need traffic manager, it really makes the AI better and how can you even make complex intersections without the lane connector?? WG Realistic pop just makes building stats make a lot more sense. Everyone needs move it, and fine road anarchy, and loading screen mod, I mean those are all basic essentials at this point, and I need RICO to plop all these cool big factories and skyscrapers off the workshop. I'm never going to become one of "those people" who don't even play the game as a game anymore though, I'm still growing my buildings and only placing a few props and decals here and there, no reason to go overboard.
-PLOP THE GROWABLES. It's over, you're plopping and hand-moving every single loving thing. You're doing weird tricks with custom roads and paths. You've long forgotten zoning and leveling up of buildings even exist in the game anymore. You've entered the plop zone and there is no looking back, no escape.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Speaking of the hell that is plopping, here's some pictures of island hill town stuff.

Historic hotel at the base of the hill.

I like how this Y intersection turned out, it's clear cars go to the left, trams and peds to the right.

Huge church/monastery thing at the top of the city's sacred hill.

The tram snakes its way up to the top of the hill, it's not the most direct route but it's a tram not a funicular.

Old hillside buildings

Little market area at the top of the hill

Ivy makes blank walls better.

Skylines

Street View

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Triple posting that paradox currently has a survey out about their games, and it leads to a bunch of questions geared towards city building games and various historical settings like Roman. I'd loving love a more simulationist Caesar game.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Baronjutter this latest city of yours may be my favorite, its really impressive.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
This is the link to the survey, for anyone who doesn't want to go hunting for it but has no problem randomly clicking things:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/SPZF5LV

There is a definite theme behind the questions, you'll notice. I'm both glad that they are apparently looking for a direction for the next game, but also worried about the 'design by committee' nightmare this can lead to.

A survey like this preceded the announcement of Command & Conquer 4. That franchise did not deserve to die like that.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I saw this on reddit and it can gently caress off for being so good.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead
The sequel is going to be a cyberpunk city builder because why would anyone vote for anything else on that survey?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
If you want cyberpunk city building games you can look into:

Unnamed Cyberpunk City Building Game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoFUnAkfRvE&t=77s

Or, Industries of Titan:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxUbeSjpc38

These may or may not ever see the light of day.

Also, someone once pointed me towards this:
https://twitter.com/ionlands/status/1039554663597699072

I can't quite tell what it's supposed to be, but it's cyberpunk and in a city.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Warmachine posted:

Fred Flintstone ist der übermench.

and how

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

TalonDemonKing posted:

New player here. No DLC besides the free ones. What am I getting into besides accidently polluting my drinking water with my sewage water?

Any tips besides not putting your sewage up stream?

Just play with infinite money, the budget management early city game isn't actually fun at all.

Modding this game is a nightmare of dependencies and never being sure if you have the mods you want.

Yes, the traffic model is completely hosed from the get-go, the routes sims take make no sense.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Entropic posted:

Modding this game is a nightmare of dependencies and never being sure if you have the mods you want.

I mean it’s not perfect but calling modding this game a nightmare when the most obvious comparator is Sim City 4 seems a bit much

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Entropic posted:

this is nothing compared to the hell of dependencies of simcity 4. at least you are prompted that you need something else when you try to subscribe in the workshop. when i tried sc4 again from a blank slate two years ago i had to install 400+ dependency packs (wish i was joking) and most of those had installers (to torture the user). also the sc4 devotion website only allows you to download a certain about of mb per day so you had an to wait for the limit to clear each day. on top of this even with an ssd the game still takes ages to load lmao

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
Considering steam even tracks the dependencies on each mod its pretty straight forward really. Not to mention, most of the dependencies are just common chunks of code that would otherwise be duplicated for each mod, at best wasting space, but more likely conflicting and causing bugs. Or they're art assests like trees which would again result in a lot of potential duplication, wasted memory and such.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

BBJoey posted:

I mean it’s not perfect but calling modding this game a nightmare when the most obvious comparator is Sim City 4 seems a bit much

Sim City 4 modding was/is insane, Cities Skylines is absolutely nothing compared to the utter madhouse Sim City 4's modding community has become.

Dependencies in Cities Skylines may be annoying, Sim City 4's can only be found on a dark net website designed by a lunatic nut-eating whoremonger who doesn't understand HTML.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I even found that when loading screen mod threw up an unavailable dependency, the error report linked me to the relevant steam workshop mod. Compare this to SC4 where if you get a non-obvious brown box you're more or less entirely hosed

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Worth noting that you can safely ignore a lot of the dependencies in C:S. Much of the time the dependency will be some prop that the building looks fine without, like some poo poo on the roof or a fancy bollard. It's pretty easy to figure out real dependencies vs. optional ones.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

Baronjutter posted:

:stare:

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Does digging a river deeper help with flooding?

Edit: Also can I do anything clever with cargo trains to help with my garbage problem. I don't want those polluting things right in the middle of my city.

TalonDemonKing fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Sep 18, 2018

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Bold Robot posted:

Worth noting that you can safely ignore a lot of the dependencies in C:S. Much of the time the dependency will be some prop that the building looks fine without, like some poo poo on the roof or a fancy bollard. It's pretty easy to figure out real dependencies vs. optional ones.

This, often they are quite and purposefully optional. A lot of nicer asset creators will do something like make some perfect replica of some big BMW office building in Hamburg that comes with a giant BMW sign at the top, put make the logos and poo poo dependency props so if you don't want your building to be plastered in BMW logos you can't just not dowload them and now it's a generic building.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

TalonDemonKing posted:

Edit: Also can I do anything clever with cargo trains to help with my garbage problem. I don't want those polluting things right in the middle of my city.
No, garbage only appears to travel by road unless some genius has come up with a garbage scow mod. You only appear to need one garbage facility to get a 'green' level of coverage in the overlay; if you need more volume you can concentrate more garbage facilities in your distant industrial areas and it still seems to work. The Recycling Facility is much less polluting than the Incinerator, and the landfills are completely useless since they fill up in basically instantly.

I try to have little utility areas off to the side of major residential/commercial districts; you should have a cargo station near your commercial areas anyhow because they draw so much delivery traffic, and you'll want a bit of a buffer anyhow to any residential areas because of the noise, so that's a reasonable place to put your recycling centres and anything else with negative externalities. If that's not feasible, a recycling centre with a bunch of trees around it works. I've also terraformed little offshore islands to stick recycling centres in a pinch.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
If there's an island on my map that becomes "Trash Island" pretty much instantly.

I chuck a few industrial buildings on it, but its mostly just incinerators and my prisons.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

dogstile posted:

but its mostly just incinerators and my prisons.

Definitely just a coincidence. Definitely.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

"remove need for pipes" is a very nice mod I'd recommend to anyone starting out, removes a very silly and pointless mechanic.
I can't even remember if I'm using one or not, but I'm probably using some mod that reduces garbage globally so your streets aren't choked with garbage trucks. It brings things down to much more believable levels. Same with reducing industry production and commercial consumption.

Fuzzie Dunlop
Apr 14, 2013
Ugh, going back to that survey, please separate wealth from density. That alone would open up a bunch more possibilities for depth and challenge. It could actually make police, education, and other services interesting. A base game mode that's more challenging and balanced would be great, but I'm sure modders could take care of that with just having those 2 traits separated.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Baronjutter posted:

This is insane. It's like it's lifted from Google Street View.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Baronjutter posted:

the only reason why I hate these pics is that it's probably a zillion mods and likely looks awful in any other angle. :(

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Definitely just a coincidence. Definitely.

If this is a politics thing then its 100% a coincidence.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

dogstile posted:

If this is a politics thing then its 100% a coincidence.

I was implying they're incinerating the prisoners. Nothing as unsightly as politics.

donoteat
Sep 13, 2011

Loot at all this bullshit.
Who lets something like this happen?
here is a cities skylines video where we find out what really happened to jimmy hoffa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HA3S_O_yxs

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

donoteat posted:

here is a cities skylines video where we find out what really happened to jimmy hoffa

It's good.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
One of the best episodes yet.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

donoteat posted:

afscme dc 33 shout-out wooo

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

donoteat posted:

Always wondered what really happened to him.

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

lol. The Image you used for the Eve Online guild is from a video I made years ago. Made me chuckle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reP9Vj1UqBM

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

donoteat posted:

Posting ITT to say: I clicked one of these out of idle curiosity and I have spent the last 2 hours watching civic history lessons. What an amazing series, thank you for all your hard work.

Opals25
Jun 21, 2006

TOURISTS SPOTTED, TWELVE O'CLOCK

donoteat posted:

Still the best Skylines series even if it's late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

donoteat posted:

Hold on to your pants and pour yourselves a drink, this one's a doozy.