Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

I do not, but Ymmv :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Chili is just generally pretty good. I have had some good and some ok, but never one that was inedible.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Aunt Beth posted:

Let’s start that beans in chili argument again. I support beans in chili. Fight me.

I cannot eat the beans in chili so because I am a pussy, so I need the beanless chili, but I absolutely support the people who insist beans be there.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Applesnots posted:

Chili is just generally pretty good. I have had some good and some ok, but never one that was inedible.

You should have tried the batch I made where I misread 30 mL of fish sauce in the recipe for 300 mL. It tasted like rancid rear end.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

yeah I eat rear end posted:

You should have tried the batch I made where I misread 30 mL of fish sauce in the recipe for 300 mL. It tasted like rancid rear end.
so..... did you eat the rear end?

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

lmao at this thread

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Elizabethan Error posted:

so..... did you eat the rear end?

I was pretty drunk when I made it so I finished the first bowl, but when I tried it the next day for lunch I came extremely close to throwing up and immediately dumped it in the trash.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

I was pretty drunk when I made it so I finished the first bowl, but when I tried it the next day for lunch I came extremely close to throwing up and immediately dumped it in the trash.

Thats a lot of fish sauce, could have tossed some potatoes in to absorbed the funk?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

lol. a little rotten fish juice goes a long way.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

uber_stoat posted:

lol. a little rotten fish juice goes a long way.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tunicates are top tier chordates

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

boar guy posted:

1/2 cup brown sugar

This is meant to be a chilli not a chutney my dude

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

sneakyfrog posted:

You.... eat babies?
Why else would someone be listing infant meats on craigslist, smartass?

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

bike tory posted:

This is meant to be a chilli not a chutney my dude

A pinch of brown sugar goes a long ways towards cutting the acidity of the chiles, but like a teaspoon or less. Not half a cup.

My chili recipe: go buy whatever meat your grocery store has on sale/in the "about to expire" bin, 4 to 5 lbs. Buy half that weight in mixed peppers, whatever is in season, plus enough serranos to bring the heat up to your liking. One large onion, one large can of chipotles in adobo. Then whatever chili powder that comes in half-cup to cup sized packages (or go super authentic and buy dried anchos and a shitload of cumin).

Cube the meat, sear it in a couple tablespoons of lard until it's crispy and leaving crunchy bits stuck to the bottom of the pan. Remove, then add your peppers and the onion, diced. Sweat until the onions are translucent. Add 4-5 tablespoons of tomato paste plus half a head or so of minced garlic plus half-to-one cup chili powder, to taste, and let it get fragrant. Then blitz the chipotles in adobo with a hand blender and dump in the pot, along with the meat and a couple beers, top off with water until the meat is just barely covered. Simmer on low until the meat shreds easily. Adjust acidity with a pinch of brown sugar

Chocolate, coffee, beans, whatever floats your boat, no chili rules. I like mine rather simple, but the above is a good foundation for whatever variations you want to make. Go hog wild.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
My go to chili recipe has a can of dark beer and a can of coca-cola in it. Probably about the same amount of sugar as just adding brown sugar. Never tried coffee but I absolutely will next time. It also has the super-hard dried chorizo in it, very important.

A friend of mine makes bacon jam with black coffee and a touch of super hot hot sauce in it and it's fantastic. We put it on mini-quiches that another friend of mine makes.

I also don't put beans in my chili but that's only because I generally serve it with beans and cornbread. Put whatever you want in your chili, it's your chili. No (chili) Gods, No (chili) Masters.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

"Keto sausage rolls"

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

RoboRodent posted:

"Keto sausage rolls"

So sausage wrapped in coconut flour bread? :barf:

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Zil posted:

coconut flour bread?

Ok so I have a question. For years saturated fat got a bad rap for various reasons and recent research showed that this was somewhat flawed and that it wasnt bad as part of a balanced diet at all, but I feel like almost overnight we went from "saturated fat = heart attack" to people cooking with/baking with/adding to everything/straight up shotgunning coconut oil or coconut products, which are mostly saturated fat. So I guess my question is how did coconut suddenly become health food of the month when probably it's not actually that great for you in significant quantities?

Like other health foods are generally still pretty nutritious and good for you even once you strip away all the snake oil claims, but coconut?

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
I’m so proud of everyone for being supportive of the vast spectrum of chili preferences out there in this big crazy mixed-up world.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

bike tory posted:

Ok so I have a question. For years saturated fat got a bad rap for various reasons and recent research showed that this was somewhat flawed and that it wasnt bad as part of a balanced diet at all, but I feel like almost overnight we went from "saturated fat = heart attack" to people cooking with/baking with/adding to everything/straight up shotgunning coconut oil or coconut products, which are mostly saturated fat. So I guess my question is how did coconut suddenly become health food of the month when probably it's not actually that great for you in significant quantities?

Like other health foods are generally still pretty nutritious and good for you even once you strip away all the snake oil claims, but coconut?

Why so many people (wrongly) think coconut oil is healthy

the article posted:

According to STAT News, coconut oil's heart-healthy reputation stems in part from a pair of papers published in 2003 under the supervision of Marie-Pierre St-Onge, a professor of nutrition at Columbia University. The papers showed that eating and cooking with "medium chain fatty acids" can help people who are dieting lose weight—and such acids can be found in coconut oil.

That being said, St-Onge points out in the study that coconut oil contains only 14% of such acids, whereas the participants in the study were given 100% medium chain fatty acids. "I think the data that we've shown with medium chain fatty acids have been extrapolated very liberally," said St-Onge. "I've never done one study on coconut oil."

So these papers came out, and coconut oil hawkers went oh poo poo we can cash in on this.

Sandwich Anarchist has a new favorite as of 04:45 on Sep 18, 2018

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

That was a prompt and informative response ty

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

bike tory posted:

That was a prompt and informative response ty

I actually had that on hand because I was talking to my wife about it yesterday

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

One weird trick discovered by the bogus health food industry

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Coconut oil is delicious, and dietary fat is actually pretty important to our health. However, please do not eat it by the spoonful.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
That picture made me scowl.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

I can see that working if it was cold pizza and the milk would soften it up a bit. Not that I would, just saying I understand it.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Zil posted:

I can see that working if it was cold pizza and the milk would soften it up a bit. Not that I would, just saying I understand it.

I did that with crusts when I was a kid. But only the crusts.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Aunt Beth posted:

I’m so proud of everyone for being supportive of the vast spectrum of chili preferences out there in this big crazy mixed-up world.

I think it was Elise who said beans in chili is fine, nothing wrong with chili and beans.

e. Found it.

elise the great posted:

Listen, I can’t judge. Chili with beans is delicious, and people are correct for making it that way. But it’s not chili— it’s chili with beans.

rndmnmbr has a new favorite as of 07:01 on Sep 18, 2018

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

rndmnmbr posted:

I think it was Elise who said beans in chili is fine, nothing wrong with chili and beans.

Well yeah, we have a word for that, it's why it's called chili, and not just spicy meat sauce.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

And why when it has meat in it it's called a chilli con carne

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
45% of texans were not born in texas. in the cities it's a lot more

i have no skin in that game but just remember that behind every beanophobe is someone unsure of their texuality

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I love me some chili with beans, I'm not a hater. That's the best part of the second half of the batch of chili.

I'm weird though, I gotta have chili with biscuits, or good homemade tortillas. I only go for cornbread when I go chili with beans.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

rndmnmbr posted:

I love me some chili with beans, I'm not a hater. That's the best part of the second half of the batch of chili.

I'm weird though, I gotta have chili with biscuits, or good homemade tortillas. I only go for cornbread when I go chili with beans.

Love my chilli con frijoles with rice personally, but over corn chips or with a tortilla is fine too.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

porizj posted:

It is my firm belief that man can subsist on nothing more then chili and anger.

To that end, I have decided to share my own favorite chili recipe with the lot of you, so that you may convert your shame and anger into chili and anger. In this way, I am the best humanitarian who has ever or will ever survive.

I'm going to be breaking a few sacred chili rules here. Too bad; I apologize to no one.

Ingredients:

1 & 1/2 to 2 lbs of ground PORK (perfect way to uncover jews)
2 packages of french onion soup mix (be prepared for your chili to surrender)
2 tablespoons of chili powder (less if you're a baby, more if you're a man)
4 teaspoons of ground cumin (omit this and I will devour your soul)
1 teaspoon of black pepper (slightly racist)
1/2 teaspoon of salt (or none if you're heaving a heart attack right now)
6 ejaculations (squirts) of Tabasco sauce
1 21-ounce can of red beans and 1 21-ounce can of black beans (I have a dream)
2 6-ounce cans of tomato paste with garlic (regular tomato paste = you're an rear end in a top hat)
2 8-ounce cans of tomato sauce (real men need more than just paste)
1 yellow, orange or red pepper, chopped up (green peppers are Satan's taint)
1 package of sliced mushrooms (yes, you can slice your own mushrooms, smartass)

Instructions:

Put the meat in a huge chili pot and brown it over medium heat
Add 4 cups of water and the french onion soup mix. Stir and let simmer for 10 minutes
Stir in the spices and the Tabasco and simmer for another minute or two
Add the beans, the mushrooms and the chopped pepper
Turn to low and let simmer for at least 20 minutes, 40 is better, stirring every 5-10
Call your mother and tell her she's not allowed to hug you anymore

And that's it, you're done. You just went from a pathetic, flaccid pushover to a chili-chewing boner-owner in about an hour. Your life will thank me.

Who's next? Don't even think about posting a recipe with corn in it. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

I'm (mostly) vegetarian. All my chili has beans, because it has to

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
*looks up from combination cat fancier/New Yorker magazine and sensibly pulls down glasses* actually corn in chili is fine and a chili entirely based around corn with no meat is also fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Aesop Poprock posted:

*looks up from combination cat fancier/New Yorker magazine and sensibly pulls down glasses* actually corn in chili is fine and a chili entirely based around corn with no meat is also fine

chili corn, no carne