Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Rise of the Guardians was one of the prettiest films DreamWorks has done with some of the most stylish concept art. Pity 'bout that story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Das Boo posted:

Rise of the Guardians was one of the prettiest films DreamWorks has done with some of the most stylish concept art. Pity 'bout that story.

The script needing some tightening up and a bit more work, but I feel it was more meh than outright bad.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The director on RotG got so much poo poo after that movie came out, whereas it was mostly Dreamworks management screwing with the production. He's directing the new Spiderverse movie at Sony now.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

So a Mary Poppins Returns trailer dropped today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3jsfXDZLIY

Can't say as I'm particularly interested in a Mary Poppins sequel, but it's bringing forth another segment like the original where the live-action actors wind up in a 2D-animated world and I'm feeling so starved for 2D animated film that I'm sort of intrigued already.

Also I haven't watched Mary Poppins in so long that I sort of forget how that film goes. Only remember a few iconic scenes (usually the ones associated with songs like "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious", "Step In Time", "A Spoonful of Sugar" and "I Love to Laugh"). I should probably amend this sometime. (I also remember that I was afraid to watch it as a kid because I thought a scene from some sci-fi film was part of the film somehow, based on a post-film advertising montage on some Disney VHS I saw as a youngster, but I'm pretty sure I brought that up in this thread already and we concluded it was actually Black Hole or something.)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
That looks charming as hell :allears:

Also I'll take any hand drawn Disney animation anywhere where I can possibly get it

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I know someone who worked on the animation for that! Most of what I know is that the studio smelled like tacos (not all animation is done on the campus proper) and one time a waterpipe burst beneath the elevator shaft and it was creepy. :v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

teagone posted:

I've never watched any Last Airbender stuff, but I enjoyed The Dragon Prince a lot. The fantasy setting with elves and dragons is totally my poo poo.

Same, the humour felt a bit too try hard in the first ep but 'bad rear end elves doing bad rear end elf poo poo' made up for that.

The young prince and his pet glow toad reminded me of Greg and his pet frog in Over The Garden Wall :)

Regalingualius posted:

Is Dragon Prince pretty standard kids’ fare, or does it have heavier themes despite the Y7 rating, a’la Avatar?

It's got a few heavier themes at times, mostly the evil court wizard doing really nasty poo poo like ordering his son to kill his friend for political reasons, sucking an elf's soul out of his body and trapping it for eternity, etc etc.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Mamoru Hosoda's (The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Summer Wars, Wolf Children etc) latest Mirai of the Future is pretty good. It's a cute slice of life magical realism story about a little boy learning to be less selfish now that he has a baby sister. Nothing especially ambitious or amazing about it but very pleasant.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Avatar (the cartoon) is coming back as a brand new Netflix-exclusive live action series penned by the original writers:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/avatar-the-last-airbender-is-being-reborn-as-a-netflix-1829139229

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

I wonder how long they wanted to do this after the awful M.Night movie.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Pixeltendo posted:

I wonder how long they wanted to do this after the awful M.Night movie.

To June 30, 2010, the release date of the awful movie that never happened.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I never thought Avatar would see the light of day again outside of those graphic novels, so this kind of rules.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Not entirely sure why it's live action but if the original creators are involved then maybe it won't be that bad.

Speaking of the graphic novels, was the recent Korra one any good?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
live action avatar has the stigma of that lovely movie, and it would be very difficult to make the fights work in a way acceptable to people in live action on a budget.
And even when it's made acceptable it will be much duller than what the animated series accomplished. In the cartoon battlefields get torn to pieces and and there's constant power use as a part of people's lives, but each time someone bends will have to have the set up of a special effect instead of being a drawing on a storyboard.
Not to mention these creators already had a chance to make a new Avatar and we got Korra - I gave it two seasons to impress me and it failed very hard. Maybe someday I'll watch seasons 3 and 4, but making two entire poor seasons is not a good endorsement.

If it comes out and people rave about it maybe I'll give it a chance but I'm going to just go who cares for now.

I really hate the animated to live action push, by the way. Most of the things live action is better at (humans with real facial expressions and body language presenting the drama) are not really used in fantasy premises that much, and a lot of the emotion of fantasy things often gets dulled down horribly in the name of making unbelievable things "presentable" to the audience. Animation allows people much more easily to create an entire new world where the fantastic fits instead of dulling the fantastic until it fits in a "real" world.

I mean, some of this is just the problem of what execs think people will find realistic or take seriously, and Netflix has been a little more hands-off, so maybe we won't get stuff that's like the live action Disney movies. I'd much, much rather they just made a new series for live action than redoing Avatar, though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Seasons 3 and 4 are arguably the point where Korra actually gets good. Season 1 was ok (though it was originally supposed to be the only season but the show got popular and the network demanded more episodes, but the problem is the writers didn't really have a clear plan for the series at that point) and while Season 2 isn't good by any stretch, there are a few highlights here and there (Varrick, Desna and Eska, the Avatar Wan story).

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Season 3 and 4 are legit and don't have the wonky-rear end stuff like the ending of season 2.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

wdarkk posted:

Season 3 and 4 are legit and don't have the wonky-rear end stuff like the ending of season 2.

Even if the climax of Season 4 was a bit silly ( giant Pacific Rim mech out of nowhere) I still liked it a lot more than seasons 1 & 2.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Larryb posted:

Not entirely sure why it's live action but if the original creators are involved then maybe it won't be that bad.

Speaking of the graphic novels, was the recent Korra one any good?

Yes.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

VolticSurge posted:

Even if the climax of Season 4 was a bit silly ( giant Pacific Rim mech out of nowhere) I still liked it a lot more than seasons 1 & 2.

Better than Season 2 which ended in a literal Godzilla-esque Kaiju battle. Speaking of Season 4, Granny Toph was also a fun addition (and actually had a bit more presence than the other ATLA alumni that made cameos on the show).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Sep 18, 2018

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Korra got better when the creators realised the better episodes of TLA were the ones they had barely any involvement in and hired those people to write and direct for Korra.

Legend of Korra season 1 had a lot of good ideas that fizzled because of constraints from the network and their not being as well equipped to tell a shortened story. That and some of the characters got the shaft because they had to immediately fill a Team Avatar role from the moment they were introduced (Bolin) instead of allowing for the characters to grow and have arcs. It's kind of a George Lucas scenario, when you look at

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I really need to rewatch Korra S3 & 4. I liked it when it aired but I haven't watched it since.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I still think it's kinda insane they got JK Simmons as one of the main characters in Korra. I liked Korra overall, but I also like that they let loose with their powers a lot more than in TLA. I also like how lavabending was somehow never lethal.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Night is short, Walk on Girl is a good movie and you should watch it if you can.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Korra season 3 is incredible and justifies the entire series. Season 2 was awful though, just awful. Seasons 1 and 4 were middling.

Not really keen on a live action avatar tv show. It would have to have a game on thrones level budget to even be serviceable given the amount of vfx.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I saw all of Seasons 1 and 2 of Korra and none of Seasons 3 and 4 of Korra. So, basically, I saw the worst and not the best. I'll take people's word that the latter two seasons were better, though, since I didn't exactly hate what I saw of the show at its worst (even though Season 2's climax was really stupid).

As for ATLA, I've only really seen scattered episodes across the whole series, but it seemed very solid.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shadow Hog posted:

I saw all of Seasons 1 and 2 of Korra and none of Seasons 3 and 4 of Korra. So, basically, I saw the worst and not the best. I'll take people's word that the latter two seasons were better, though, since I didn't exactly hate what I saw of the show at its worst (even though Season 2's climax was really stupid).

As for ATLA, I've only really seen scattered episodes across the whole series, but it seemed very solid.

Oh man put whatever you're watching on the back burner and marathon ATLA immediately. The first half of the first season is a bit rough while the show finds its footing/gets more freedom from the network but once it gets going...

Pick posted:

Go on…

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Sep 19, 2018

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

GrandpaPants posted:

I still think it's kinda insane they got JK Simmons as one of the main characters in Korra.

Why? Dude does voice acting all the time. You know he’s the voice of the peanut M&M?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I'm not watching season 3 and 4.

My point was that I do not like the trend that seems to have live action as an "upgrade" for animated series that serve their premise better than live action could.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The whole ATLA show is great! Korra less so, but season 3 had some pretty drat good action. I always felt bad for Korra though. That kick-rear end introduction, then she more or less got her rear end kicked for four seasons. Also the writers her date her whole team because the writers had no idea how to write non-terrible relationships. Once the show dropped 99% of that bullshit it got much better.

Edit: if you suffered though season 2 you really should watch season 3. Give it a shot.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

I still think it's kinda insane they got JK Simmons as one of the main characters in Korra. I liked Korra overall, but I also like that they let loose with their powers a lot more than in TLA. I also like how lavabending was somehow never lethal.

While at the same time we also see several on-screen murders in the series (Amon's brother blows them both up in a boat at the end of Season 1, The Earth Queen is asphyxiated via Airbending in Season 3, Asami's dad is crushed by a robot in Season 4), not to mention the part in Season 3 where Korra is literally tortured by the villains. Out of the living cast members, the only real casualty in the first series is Jet and even that was left purposefully vague aside from a single line from Toph ("He's lying").

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Sep 19, 2018

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Larryb posted:

While at the same time we also see several on-screen murders in the series (Amon's brother blows them both up in a boat at the end of Season 1, The Earth Queen is asphyxiated via Airbending in Season 3, Asami's dad is crushed by a robot in Season 4). Out of the living cast members, the only real casualty in the first series is Jet.

Wait, did Jet die?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Larryb posted:

Out of the living cast members, the only real casualty in the first series is Jet.

Oh I don't know it was pretty unclear..

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I guess that's why they're redoing the series, to finally answer important questions like "ok but did Jet actually die?" he dead

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Ok, sure, but just so long as it's not like that dumb Teen Titans live action series, we don't need Zuko saying "gently caress the Fire Lord"

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I can chime in saying that I decided to watch through all of Korra recently, and S1 is OK, S2 is bad, S3 is really surprisingly good and S4 is a decent end to the series.

Like, if someone wanted to watch the series, when they got to S2 I'd tell them to just watch the start, the avatar Wan episodes, and then the finale, because the rest is just not worth it.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

The problems in S3 and S4 all stems from to acknowledge some pretty awful ideas of S2

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Aces High posted:

Ok, sure, but just so long as it's not like that dumb Teen Titans live action series, we don't need Zuko saying "gently caress the Fire Lord"

Zuko saying "gently caress the Fire Lord" is way more in character than Robin saying "gently caress Batman".

Not that I think he should...

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The clip show in Season 4 is one of the funniest episodes in the series in my opinion and I'm especially fond of this bit (in fact, Varrick's entire retelling is pretty much great). Ember Island Players from TLA was a bit more unique though but both are good.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Sep 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

asecondduck posted:

Zuko saying "gently caress the Fire Lord" is way more in character than Robin saying "gently caress Batman".

Not that I think he should...

Actually it isn't that out of place in the show since its setting is apparently that time right before Dick Grayson becomes Nightwing where he had a falling out with Batman, especially since the most recent Titans clip also showed that Jason Todd is also Robin.