Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
3) Terrifier

Again, everything's been said already about this. There was a moment about 1/3 of the way through where I seriously thought the movie was almost over, it dragged so much. It was as if each woman in the movie had to take turns being the scream queen and having her own 30 minutes being the lead, when really they could have just had it be a short and just use one of them (which they did already in All Hallows Eve, basically).

Eh, the practical effects were nice, and the guy who played Art did a fine job.

:spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I love The Invisible Man. I'll also say it's my 2nd favorite, losing out to Bride of Frankenstein.

3rd fave is The Creature From The Black Lagoon.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

I love The Invisible Man. I'll also say it's my 2nd favorite, losing out to Bride of Frankenstein.

3rd fave is The Creature From The Black Lagoon.

Yep, we have the same top-3

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I should re-watch The Invisible Man, last time I saw it was about 6 years ago and it didn't do much for me at the time. If I were invisible I'd do cooler stuff than just knock stuff off tables and steal hats.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

gey muckle mowser posted:

I should re-watch The Invisible Man, last time I saw it was about 6 years ago and it didn't do much for me at the time. If I were invisible I'd do cooler stuff than just knock stuff off tables and steal hats.

They probably couldn't film women's locker rooms in the 1930s.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

gey muckle mowser posted:

I think I'll throttle you...

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Spatulater bro! posted:

Watching the 1931 Dr Jekyll right now, it has sideboob.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Spatulater bro! posted:

:pervert:

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
2. Terrifier

Much like seemingly everyone else, I watched this over the weekend.

Sometimes you watch a movie that’s so sadistic that you wonder how anyone can watch it. Terrifier can certainly fit into that category, but something about this movie as a whole kind of elevates it beyond mere sadistic trash - but not too much above.

The main credit has to go to Art the clown. I had to look it up to see if the actor was actually was a full time clown or something, he really just nails the mannerisms so well. Other reviews have pointed out he would have been a horror icon if he came around a few decades earlier and I agree with that assessment.

But as much as I appreciate Art, he suffers from Annabelle syndrome - he's so terrifying in a basic visual level that I can't imagine him as anything but evil at first sight - I would not want to pose for a selfie with him!

The cinematography is good as well. It has good lighting and a good sense of geography.

The plot itself is paper thin, and it really suffers from not having an effective protagonist throughout the film. The main characters are all disposable.

Overall, while I appreciate a lot of this movie I find it very hard to recommend to people. It is a very gory movie and some scenes are really difficult to watch. It’s not anything I plan on watching again.

Watched (2): Always Watching: A Marble Hornets story; Terrifier

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

4. Mandy (2018)

Phone post so forgive the lack of poster. But this owned and I don't really have much more to contribute to the discussion. I'd for sure like to see more movies like it though.

5. The Midnight Man (2016)

This is the first true stinker of the challenge. If you were thinking about seeing it, don't bother. The Midnight Man himself looks cheap as hell and the characters are dumb to the point of being frustrating. There's no one to root for in this and there are so many plot holes. Just yuck. Go watch A Nightmare On Elm Street, it does everything this movie does but better.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

2) Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde (1932)

One of the all time greats. It's best remembered for Jekyll's transformation sequence, which was done through the simple expedient of different coloured makeup and a cellophane filter on the lens, but there's a hell of a lot else to recommend it. Fredric March's Oscar-winning performance is a bit corny now, but the way he changes his pattern of motion when he becomes the ape-like Hyde is fascinating to watch and the pre-Code depiction of Hyde as a domestic abuser remains on needle point even now.

The only criticism I can level at it is that they changed the ending. Hyde is killed by police and reverts to Jekyll, but it's vital to the story that Jekyll is trapped in the form of Hyde while thinking as Jekyll; it's a representation of how, in trying to indulge his base urges, Jekyll has corrupted that which is good about him.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
4) Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires

I was told that this was THE Hong Kong vampire movie to watch. Peter Cushing, David Chiang, Hammer, Shaw... it's really the perfect storm and should be incredible. However, it sort of fell flat for me. The story wasn't super compelling, the vampire scenes were mediocre, there were long stretches of Englishmen that I didn't care about.

Maybe I was expecting something different. I was under the assumption that it would be a jiangshi/hopping vampire movie, but it turned out to just be a standard English Hammer vampire movie that takes place in China.

:spooky::spooky:/5

Watched (4): Puppet Master 4, Puppet Master 5, Terrifier, Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Sep 18, 2018

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

"What the hell do they mean? Beefcake?"

Full Moon Trash Night!

4. The Gingerdead Man (2005)

I have a soft spot for Full Moon. They've made some really fun flicks and a few genuinely good ones. The majority of them, however, are hot garbage. The Gingerdead Man falls into that latter bit. Filmed with a potato after travelling back in time to 1993, Gary Busey stars as a hand-puppet channeling Chucky who seeks to murder a drunk grandma, some bakers and Papa Roach.

0.5 :spooky:/5

5. The Killer Eye 2 (2011)

This was a weird one. I ended up finding it repackaged on the Full Moon streaming service as Halloween Horror House. It turned out to be The Killer Eye 2, but I don't understand what's up with the name change. I also noticed that Zombies VS Strippers had been repackaged as Decadent Evil. About a third of the way into this movie, I made the joke that I'd like to film a movie's sequel, and include the entirety of the first film right in the middle of it. I didn't realize The Killer Eye 2 was about to do exactly that. It wasn't quite the entirety of the first film, but I'd guess around 15 minutes of this 70 minute movie is just scenes from the first, being watched on DVD by the characters in this film, while they make inane commentary. I did get a couple of laughs out of some of the eye-rolling self-referential jokes to rest of the Full Moon catalog though.

:spooky:/5

Unnecessary Remake Night!

6. Martyrs (2015)

It's Martyrs lite! Now with half the brutality, half the acting, half the plot and none of the emotional impact! Martyrs (2008) was a brutal, cruel and uncomfortable film that, though not exactly a happy fun romp, has stuck with me since I saw it years ago. It also kicked off my interest in the French New Wave of Horror that lead me to watching Ils, High Tension, Calvaire, Inside (2007) and quite a few more excellent horror films. This feels toothless in comparison and I've forgotten the majority of the film since last night. It was put together just fine, but is just wholly unremarkable and inferior to the original in every conceivable way.

7. Inside (2016)

À l'intérieur is one of the most brutal and unsettling home invasion films I've ever seen and was also part of my exodus into French Extreme Horror in the late 2000s. It, along with Martyrs, are films that I hesitate to even call "good films" just because they are so nihilistic and hard to watch, but I still hold them in a high regard for having enough of an impact on me to stick with me for so many years. This 2016 remake carries the general idea of the first film with none of the spirit. The 2007 film that had me feeling ill to my stomach for a pregnant woman when her home is invaded by a woman bent on stealing her unborn child translates to another boring American remake.

SMP
May 5, 2009

This will be my fifth year doing this, and second actually participating in the thread. I'm in hell yeah. Still sorting out my list for the month, but my Letterboxd list is here.

e: Since this challenge started on 09/14 I'll include some horror movies I've watched ahead of what I'd normally consider my October challenge.

1. Mandy - 4.5/5

quote:

loving WILD movie, but despite the insanity it's surprisingly straightforward. I was hoping for something a little more subversive or out there, because revenge movies aren't typically my thing. That being said, the 70s scifi book cover aesthetic more than makes up for it.

My biggest disappointment is that the Cenobite bikers didn't have a larger role, because they're insanely cool. Bill Duke leaning in with that "...and they loving love it" line was so god drat good.

2. Thelma - 4/5

quote:

Both darker and sweeter than you expect it to be, I really enjoyed this. Strong performances all around and a beautiful score. I'm a bit iffy on the use of flashbacks, and the imagery was a bit on the nose—oh ho, a murder of crows—but it's an otherwise great movie. I was worried that it'd just be Norwegian Carrie, but it's much more than that (though the comparison is fair).

SMP fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Sep 18, 2018

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Several Goblins posted:

4. The Gingerdead Man (2005)

I have a soft spot for Full Moon. They've made some really fun flicks and a few genuinely good ones. The majority of them, however, are hot garbage. The Gingerdead Man falls into that latter bit. Filmed with a potato after travelling back in time to 1993, Gary Busey stars as a hand-puppet channeling Chucky who seeks to murder a drunk grandma, some bakers and Papa Roach.

That they managed to make a killer gingerbread man movie starring Gary Busey completely un-fun is perplexing and criminal.

Several Goblins posted:

6. Martyrs (2015)

It's Martyrs lite! Now with half the brutality, half the acting, half the plot and none of the emotional impact! Martyrs (2008) was a brutal, cruel and uncomfortable film that, though not exactly a happy fun romp, has stuck with me since I saw it years ago. It also kicked off my interest in the French New Wave of Horror that lead me to watching Ils, High Tension, Calvaire, Inside (2007) and quite a few more excellent horror films. This feels toothless in comparison and I've forgotten the majority of the film since last night. It was put together just fine, but is just wholly unremarkable and inferior to the original in every conceivable way.

7. Inside (2016)

À l'intérieur is one of the most brutal and unsettling home invasion films I've ever seen and was also part of my exodus into French Extreme Horror in the late 2000s. It, along with Martyrs, are films that I hesitate to even call "good films" just because they are so nihilistic and hard to watch, but I still hold them in a high regard for having enough of an impact on me to stick with me for so many years. This 2016 remake carries the general idea of the first film with none of the spirit. The 2007 film that had me feeling ill to my stomach for a pregnant woman when her home is invaded by a woman bent on stealing her unborn child translates to another boring American remake.

I know it's trite to complain about the pointlessness of remakes, but I really don't understand why they would make watered down versions of movies notable primarily for their shocking and disturbing nature. It's like rebuilding an exciting roller coaster but flattening it out and removing the loops.

Spatulater bro! fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Sep 18, 2018

Several Goblins
Jul 30, 2006

"What the hell do they mean? Beefcake?"

Spatulater bro! posted:

That they managed to make a killer gingerbread man movie starring Gary Busey completely un-fun is perplexing and criminal.

Part of me hates myself enough to continue watching the series...just to know.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

#4 - Space Amoeba, aka Gezora, Ganime, Kameba: Decisive Battle! Giant Monsters of the South Seas, aka Yog - Monster from Space (1970)

Decided to weird things up with one of Ishiro Honda's final films as director. The storyline is simple: an alien parasite attaches itself to a spacecraft, turns the craft around (literally, in a comical 180 degree turn) and heads to Earth, crashing in the Pacific Ocean. Three creatures native to a nearby island become possessed by the alien - a squid, crab, and tortoise. It is unclear to me if the alien made them kaiju-sized, maybe I wasn't paying attention, though the native people had legends about Gezora, the squid.

Either way, a photographer and his entourage must duke it out with the kaiju and save the day.

Some thoughts:

- this film can easily be linked to a slew of Toho "Pacific island kaiju" flicks in the late 60s and early 70s. For several years Toho even chose Godzilla movies to be set on islands. My theory is that island sets were cheaper than cities, which required more detailed expensive miniature sets, and less things need to explode and crumble on islands.

- I always found it curious that upon creating Ghidorah, an original monster, Toho decided to return on the path of Mothra and King Kong with mega-sized animals that already exist and I would argue are less interesting (well, the ones I just listed are the exception). Giant praying mantises, giant spiders, giant condors, giant crustaceans, etc. all faced Godzilla. If there's one thing 70s Showa Godzilla movies have going for it, it is creative and interesting monster designs like Gigan. Not big animals.

- Space Amoeba is nothing remarkable and in my opinion skippable. My favorite thing about the movie was the opening - the 3 kaiju are standing in front of a stylized background like gangsters during the open credits.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

6. Grave Encounters 2 (2012)

This has languished on my shelf for some time since I heard it wasn't so good and didn't make a priority even though I enjoyed the first movie. I didn't like this one quite as much, to be honest it felt like a haunted house ride. Some of the effects were extremely cheap looking, but that's to be expected from something made on a budget. I also think the movie could have shaved ten minutes and been way better. About half way through I looked at the time bar and couldn't believe I was only half way through.

My favorite parts of the movie though are the end. I know it's an older movie at this point but I won't spoil it just in case anyone is going in new. I love when they fully reveal what's happening, it's a fun idea. Also the performances really step up a notch about that point.

2.5 out of 5. I'll probably never watch it again, but it had some good ideas.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
What I like about Grave Encounters 2 is that it just takes the idea and runs with it. I like meta-sequels a lot, where the first movie exists in the world, and I like the dumb things it does with found footage.

3. Ghost Stories (2017)

A professional TV skeptic begins to investigate three unexplainable and interconnected spook-a-doodles. The tales are all competent and pretty spooky but the wrapper doesn’t really follow through on the premise. I mean, he goes, hears the story, moves on to the next one, with very little in the way of follow-up by the skeptic. At no point did it really feel like an investigation. This kind of makes sense by the end, but was kind of unfulfilling during the film.

:spooky::spooky:.5/5

4. Truth or Dare (2018)

Man I really enjoy dumb teen horror movies like this one.

A bunch of dumb teens go to Mexico on Spring Break, play truth or dare in a creepy abandoned church, and return home, only to find that the game has followed them. Now they have to play…or die!

At first it seems like the game is mainly focused on getting our main character Olivia together with her crush, but then it gets meaner. And dumber. It would’ve been better if the dares and truths were more logically consistent, but that might be asking a lot from a movie about a possessed children’s game. Still, it was fun to watch.
:spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

5. Incident in a Ghostland (2018)

A brutal movie, which I guess one should expect from the director of Martyrs. Ghostland is the story of a mom and her two girls moving to an inherited house in the countryside, and then being stalked and abused by some local crazies. Sixteen years later the family is reunited at the house, but strange things are afoot.

This was gripping, and intense, and the twists are well done and well laid out. The dialogue is pretty mediocre, at best, and the main weakness. I think it was at least 25% "Vera". Vera? VERA! Vera?!

I found it hard to watch overall. I’m not really a big fan of violence against children.
:spooky::spooky::spooky:.5/5

SMP
May 5, 2009

Wasn't sure whether to count this one, as it strays fairly close to horror at times, but never quuuiiiiite makes that leap. It's got that foreboding atmosphere though, and hey, it's on Shudder.

3. The Midnight Swim - 3.5/5

quote:

I'm a bit disappointed by the inclusion of the horror-adjacent mystery plot. There's a pretty compelling drama here—and a bunch of fantastic performances—but it forces itself into detouring for a mystery that never really feels relevant. The mystery itself is well done, and on it's own would be interesting, but it never connects with the narrative themes. Nor did it feel like it had any kind of conclusion. Still well made, though.

I didn't expect it to be found footage, as it were, and I'm not sure it really needed that framing, but it was an interesting take nonetheless. The first found footage with someone in-universe who cares about lighting and blocking!

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

graventy posted:

What I like about Grave Encounters 2 is that it just takes the idea and runs with it. I like meta-sequels a lot, where the first movie exists in the world, and I like the dumb things it does with found footage.

See that's something I enjoy too. I just wish the movie were paced better and maybe some of the effects were switched to something that would have looked less like a local haunted house.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Grave Encounters 2 was fantastic until Rickety Cricket showed up

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

SMP posted:

Grave Encounters 2 was fantastic until Rickety Cricket showed up

Oh my god. I couldn't put my finger on who that reminded me of but you're right.

Money Bags
Jun 27, 2013

I'm in for a minimum of 31 horror films although I suspect I will crush that estimate. Unfortunately I've been trying to bulk up on films from other genres in anticipation of this thread starting in October so I've got a stack of DVDs on loan from the library to work through before I can fully commit to the spooky stuff. I did however manage to squeeze one in last night and drew first blood with:

1. Prom Night (1980)

It was nice to sit down and watch a solid slasher flick that had all the hallmarks and tropes you hope for when you sit down to watch a slasher, and the movie managed to exceed all of my expectations which weren't all that high to begin with. The film kicks off with events that lead to the formation of a dark secret... good so far. (The image of the kids shouting "kill! kill! kill! will probably outlast any other details in my memory of this movie.) Then on to high school where the dark secret havers are all friends, plus Jamie Lee Curtis who is clearly going to be the final girl. She doesn't have a dark secret except that she is possessed by the burning desire to dance.. fine by me. Tonight is prom night which is a huge deal and who you take with you is paramount. Jamie Lee plays Kim who has recently swooped in and stolen Nick from Wendy. Kim and Nick are the Prom King and Queen so it's natural that they should be together. Unfortunately Nick as well as Wendy are dark secret havers and are linked to Kim in a terrible, personal way. Kim isn't aware of any of this, she just wants to dance. After setting everything up and introducing all of the characters (there are two more dark secret havers, Kim has a little brother, there's a creepy groundskeeper, some cops, a killer on the loose, etc.) we finally get to prom night. After Kim gets in a rather sweet dance with her dad, the principle, who is also Leslie Nielson, she and Nick kick it into high gear with an awesomely choreographed disco dance. This will end up being the second most memorable thing about this film I believe. Okay enough pussyfooting around, it's time for kids to start dying. Obviously anyone who's a dark secret haver is in the hot seat. I won't say anything about the kills or the killer(s) but I will say that I knew who the killer was almost instantly. Oddly enough the kills themselves are what I recall least about this movie which is a mark against it since slashers are supposed to be a vehicle for entertaining and hopefully memorable kills. I remember enjoying myself during the kill sequences but I can't remember any details of what happened. Keep in mind that I only watched this movie last night. One thing I do recall is that the dark secret havers all had distinct characterization and I even grew to like them for the most part before the body count started. They seemed like high school kids concerned with high school matters like prom, dating, drugs and sex... all perfectly legitimate concerns for high schoolers. Making me care about the kids who are dying is a huge mark in favor any slasher movie that manages to pull it off and this one did manage it. Everything comes to light on prom night and the dark secret makes itself public. Some kids die, some survive and the killer is unmasked in the end. Altogether a successful slasher and a pretty good movie too.
4/5 - Very good

Edit/PS: Jamie Lee Curtis is a treasure

1. Prom Night (1980)

Money Bags fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Sep 18, 2018

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Day -14 - The Nightmare Before Christmas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wr6N_hZyBCk

You guys are lucky I just put in a thirteen hour day because I was this >< close to doing this write-up as a rewrite of "What's This?". (What's this?/What's this?/There's claymation everywhere).

I feel like the origins of Nightmare Before Christmas was someone going, "Stores keep putting up their Christmas decorations earlier and earlier. Now they're putting them up at Halloween.... wait a second!" I kind of wind up not being sure when the right time of year to watch the movie. Before Halloween? It's too early for a Christmas movie! After Halloween? It's too late for a Halloween movie! That's probably why I haven't rewatched it in a while.

When I was younger, I enjoyed the craft of this movie more than anything. When you understand how stop-motion animation works, the complexity and detail is amazing. See soup in a bowl slosh around in this movie is impressive when you know how difficult it was to get it right. Selick's animated films all look incredible and this is the most stylish of them; Coraline is about even with Nightmare for quality of movie, but the imagery in Nightmare works a bit better for me.

On this viewing, I wound up appreciating the story even more than I had before. Jack's ennui with his repetitive job is something you can appreciate a lot more when you hit middle age. I can understand how he'd become obsessed with Christmas after becoming disillusioned with Halloween. I do have to wonder what he would have done with Thanksgiving. Considering how Thanksgiving goes in my family, it probably wouldn't be significantly different.

If I have one complaint about the movie it's that it's too short. Okay, I understand entirely why it's only an hour and ten minutes long (I'm not counting the credits in the running time and you can't make me), but I want another five or ten minutes of monster Christmas. Maybe a whole musical number of children enjoying Christmas that turns scary in the middle, since it always felt like something was missing there.

Just so everyone knows, October 9th is the twenty-fifth anniversary of Nightmare's release. Just in case anyone wants to plan their viewing a few weeks ahead.

Money Bags posted:

1. Prom Night (1980)

Be sure to watch the sequel. It has nothing to do with the first movie, but it's a hoot and a half. Really over the top fun.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Sep 18, 2018

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
8) Trauma (1993) , Directed by Dario Argento , Special Effects by TOM loving SAVINI. This is one of two English films by Argento. I'll be honest this is a weird as loving hell film. First off it deals with Asia Argentos character being anorexic. Then is has Piper loving Laurie of all people in it. Finally OUT OF NOWHERE BRAD DOURIF. I have to safe this is on the back half of Argentos career. Its weird as hell too because who films their daughter nude. Seriously. Anyway its a decent enough Giallo film set in Minneapolis with a twisty plot some decent gore and abysmal acting by Asia Argento to her credit though this is her first English language film. There's all sort of bizarre choices in this film. Like a middle of the movie voice over by a character about the dangers of anorexia and how its caused by girls wanting to kiss their dad. And Argentos daughter is playing a anorexic who dreams about kissing her dad.

Argento is like Time magazine, this guy has issues.

The film does have one of the coolest loving murder weapons put on film ( which was shamelessly stolen for that Snowman movie) a gruesome head cutting automatic garrote. Gore doesn't disappoint of coure because you know TOM loving SAVINI. It's got some still killer directing from Argento though with some signature camera movements by him that will make you wanna be a filmmaker. Not his best , not his worst. Kind of middle of the ground.

Bonus Trivia round

I think this is the SECOND film that Argento and Tom Savini both worked on and I bet some people won't be able to get the first t without google ( no cheating)

:spooky: :spooky: :spooky: /5

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Sep 18, 2018

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

TheKingslayer posted:

6. Grave Encounters 2 (2012)

This has languished on my shelf for some time since I heard it wasn't so good and didn't make a priority even though I enjoyed the first movie. I didn't like this one quite as much, to be honest it felt like a haunted house ride. Some of the effects were extremely cheap looking, but that's to be expected from something made on a budget. I also think the movie could have shaved ten minutes and been way better. About half way through I looked at the time bar and couldn't believe I was only half way through.

My favorite parts of the movie though are the end. I know it's an older movie at this point but I won't spoil it just in case anyone is going in new. I love when they fully reveal what's happening, it's a fun idea. Also the performances really step up a notch about that point.

2.5 out of 5. I'll probably never watch it again, but it had some good ideas.

I can see how this movie would make people unhappy, but once you realize that it's actually spending all its efforts on satire of the FF phenomenon, it starts getting really really funny. I mean towards the end The ghosts hold the cameras!!. At least, that's my take on things, and I'm a little softer on the film for it than most.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
4. Split (2017)

M Night Shyamalan has been on a huge upswing as of late after bottoming out with poo poo like The Happening and The Last Airbender. The first film he made that started his comeback was part of the challenge for me last year (The Visit). It was a good effort with suspense that had a twist at the end that was surprising but made sense (I seriously cannot state how important that final part is) even though you knew something was up the whole time.

I have to give it to James McAvoy because he really nailed his role out of the park. It's not so much that he depicts different personalities but rather levels of dominance and superiority ones have over the others in subtle ways that I really cannot explain. It's just that good of a performance. The film is a psychological thriller that has heavy themes on mental illness and childhood trauma between McAvoy and the protagonist that are uncomfortable at times because they feel so raw. They share more in common than they think and the movie really goes nuts in the final act that seems so drat outlandish until it's revealed the movie is a sequel to Unbreakable where "real" superheroes exist and brings it all together. I know it's pretty much common knowledge what that spoiler is (there is a sequel coming out in January that will be marketed on it) but someone might not know and this is the final Halloween to watch it without that knowledge.

Justin Godscock fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Sep 18, 2018

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
5) Martyrs (2008)

gently caress

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:/5 (from effectiveness alone)

Watched (5): Puppet Master 4, Puppet Master 5, Terrifier, Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires, Martyrs (2008)

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Justin Godscock posted:

...bottoming out with poo poo like The Happening...

The Happening was a glorious classic B movie romp and I will not hear otherwise.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Butch Cassidy posted:

The Happening was a glorious classic B movie romp and I will not hear otherwise.

Otherwise.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Butch Cassidy posted:

What? No!

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

1. The Wicker Man

While it definitely had some enjoyable scenes and good ideas in there, I have a hard time understanding where all the praise comes from.
I really dug how upbeat the whole cult was. Singing, dancing, free love, for me as a viewer these outweighed the hints that something sinister was going till near the very end.
Not a waste of time, but it really didn't live up to my expectations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

BioTech posted:

1. The Wicker Man

While it definitely had some enjoyable scenes and good ideas in there, I have a hard time understanding where all the praise comes from.
I really dug how upbeat the whole cult was. Singing, dancing, free love, for me as a viewer these outweighed the hints that something sinister was going till near the very end.
Not a waste of time, but it really didn't live up to my expectations.

I brought the Britt Ekland body double. Who's got the matches?

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Jedit posted:

I brought the Britt Ekland body double. Who's got the matches?

I knew it wouldn't be a popular opinion so afterwards I read up on the praise to see what I was missing and I just can't parse it.
There is nothing wrong with the movie at all, but it just doesn't stand out in any way.
That, combined with high expectations, just left me lukewarm.

Same thing for when I first saw The Texas Chain Saw Massacre last year or two years back. It is okay, but probably got its reputation from being the first to come up with something, filling a void when it was released.
Someone wrote in the main thread that they found it underwhelming because they saw all the films influenced by it before seeing TCM itself and that describes my experience as well.
To be fair, I would have a hard time naming anything clearly influenced by The Wicker Man, but the feeling is the same.

Sorry for rambling, I'm trying to put it into words, but it just escapes me.
Oh well, at least 30 more to go and you guys help me discover gems every year so I am still pumped.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Butch Cassidy posted:

The first roughly twenty minutes of The Happening when people are finding weird ways to off themselves is pretty interesting. Once the characters get on the road, the movie goes downhill fast.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

BioTech posted:

I knew it wouldn't be a popular opinion so afterwards I read up on the praise to see what I was missing and I just can't parse it.
There is nothing wrong with the movie at all, but it just doesn't stand out in any way.
That, combined with high expectations, just left me lukewarm.

Same thing for when I first saw The Texas Chain Saw Massacre last year or two years back. It is okay, but probably got its reputation from being the first to come up with something, filling a void when it was released.
Someone wrote in the main thread that they found it underwhelming because they saw all the films influenced by it before seeing TCM itself and that describes my experience as well.
To be fair, I would have a hard time naming anything clearly influenced by The Wicker Man, but the feeling is the same.

Sorry for rambling, I'm trying to put it into words, but it just escapes me.
Oh well, at least 30 more to go and you guys help me discover gems every year so I am still pumped.

There's plenty of movies that I love now that didn't land the first time. I saw TCM at around 13 years old on VHS. I had already seen all the Friday the 13ths, Nightmare on Elm Streets, and Halloweens. It was good, it was fine, but I didn't get the hype. There was even a point where I liked the Bay remake more than the original. But every time I watched it, I liked it more. Now I think it deserves it's place at the top of any "Best Horror Movie" list, because every choice that went into that movie was the right choice.

The Wicker Man is a slow mystery musical that throws you some horror at the last minute. I find the central mystery very compelling. I think the setting is cheerful and creepy. Christopher Lee is a treasure. The final moments are horrific.

Sometimes movies just take a few watches to finally gel. But sometimes--like Phantasm for me--it just doesn't happen.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Franchescanado posted:

Sometimes movies just take a few watches to finally gel.

To add to this, sometimes let some time pass and give those movies another try. I sat through Season of the Witch and Martin as a teen and couldn't get into them. Sat through them again in my mid 20s and liked them.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

BioTech posted:

Kill List is pretty much "Ken Loach's The Wicker Man".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's a bummer to see my staff pick not land with somebody but The Wicker Man is certainly not a traditional horror movie and not everyone is going to respond to it, especially not right away.

• Locked thread