Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Bean posted:

I looked for the cast iron pan thread and couldn’t find it.

I have a cast iron pan that is old and basically nightmare filthy. I’ve always thrown it in the oven after cooking (400 degrees F) and then scrubbed it out with kosher salt, but lately that’s not touching the layers of nastiness on this fucker. It smokes and smokes and smokes and smokes. It’s not chalkboard slick, it’s lumpy and cakey. It’s such a smoky pain in the rear end that it’s unusable.

What do I do to restore Nightmare Pan to something tolerable?

Going at it with steel is a good start, but if it's completely hosed, you can always start over. Lay it upside down in the oven, and run the self-clean cycle. It gets hot enough to completely burn away carbon deposits, and that's exactly what it's gonna do to your old garbage seasoning. Once the cycle finishes, let it cool on its own, don't pull it out or the cold shock from the air could crack it. Scrub off any surface rust and re-season.

You can goof around with flaxseed oil if you want but I get fine results with basic cooking oil, peanut is best but vegetable oil works fine if you're allergic. Basically pour in a tiny puddle, use a paper towel to wipe it over the entire surface, then take another, dry towel and wipe it all away; when you start worrying you've wiped it too dry, you're almost there. Then stick it in the oven at 400 for an hour. Repeat a few times and you should have a good, slick, hard coating; if it's sticky and gummy, you hosed up, generally too much oil.

For maintenance, a proper seasoning can withstand hard scrubbing with soap and steel wool, so don't mess around with the salt thing. Wash it normally, put it on the stove to dry all the water off, put an ultra-thin layer of oil in the pan just like when you were seasoning, and heat it until it just starts to smoke, then turn the stove off and let it cool. A full oven cycle is overkill for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

That's what I was going to say :-)

Cast iron thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3694651&perpage=40&pagenumber=40

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

I'm making slow cooker barbacoa using a recipe that calls for 1/4 teaspoon of ground cloves, but the bulk section of the store only had whole, so I planned to substitute. A cursory search told me that 1/4 tsp = 3 whole cloves. That's true by volume but whole would impart a much milder flavor than ground, so I feel like I should use more; any advice on how many? I don't think I've ever cooked with them :shobon:

e: this would be seasoning ~3 pounds of beef

flesh dance fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Sep 17, 2018

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Leal posted:

I know you're not poo poo talking my waifu Cathy Mitchell, right?

I'm not sure how ashamed you should be that you got my reference, but I'm pretty sure it's "very."

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

flesh dance posted:

I'm making slow cooker barbacoa using a recipe that calls for 1/4 teaspoon of ground cloves, but the bulk section of the store only had whole, so I planned to substitute. A cursory search told me that 1/4 tsp = 3 whole cloves. That's true by volume but whole would impart a much milder flavor than ground, so I feel like I should use more; any advice on how many? I don't think I've ever cooked with them :shobon:

You can just chop them up fine, assuming you don't have a spice grinder or a mortar and pestle.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Yeah just grind them up yourself.
Either use a coffee / spice grinder (grind some white rice before and after to remove oils) or use a pestle and mortar or if you have neither of those then get a ziploc bag and use a rolling pin to bash them up as much as you can.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

flesh dance posted:

If this is Kenji's recipe, I made it on Saturday and it is extremely good. I also had whole cloves and just ground myself and it was fine. They have a strong flavor, but there are a lot of strong flavors going on in that dish, so don't worry if you're a little over.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

No, my friend was talking about how good this recipe she made was and sent it to me, so I just used that. It's pretty similar to Kenji's, though. I went with a combo of smushing them with a rolling pin and then chopping them finely; they came apart way easier than I expected! I should really invest in a mortar and pestle.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Umm it's clearly called a

Helith posted:

pestle and mortar

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Any tips/recipes for cooking using ssamjang? I bought a small container and really like the taste, but would like to avoid using it as just a dipping or wrap sauce.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

anakha posted:

Any tips/recipes for cooking using ssamjang? I bought a small container and really like the taste, but would like to avoid using it as just a dipping or wrap sauce.

I mean, why? The eponymous ssäm are great and one of the best ways to use it.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

If you want more options, buy a tub of doenjang and gochujang separately and make your own. Plus use the pastes in a lot of other dishes.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Hauki posted:

I mean, why? The eponymous ssäm are great and one of the best ways to use it.

Don't get me wrong, I love having it in ssam and as a veggie dip - I just figured there have to be ways to take advantage of the flavor in other dishes.

Off the top of my head, incorporating it into a stew would be a good start, but I was wondering if goons have used it as an ingredient in anything they've cooked up as well.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

It's bean paste, chili paste, sesame oil and scallion. That's like 90% of Korean cooking right there.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone ever played around making your own vinegar from beer or wine? I found some accidental beer vinegar in a container and while I have no intention to eat that, it got me thinking about how to best make homemade vinegar.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Making chicken stock from bones/leftover parts. Pressure cooker. Most of them were from previously cooked carcasses but some raw stuff like backbones. Roast beforehand or nah? I think I probably will but a lot of recipes don't say to.

What I'd probably do is crowd them onto a sheetpan and go a bit under the broiler.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

A roasted stock is a lot different than a raw stock. Depends on what you want.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

baquerd posted:

Anyone ever played around making your own vinegar from beer or wine? I found some accidental beer vinegar in a container and while I have no intention to eat that, it got me thinking about how to best make homemade vinegar.
You don’t have to do much. My grandfather had a big wine collection, but then 8 years of Alzheimer’s and nobody keeping it cool meant most of it was pretty much vinegar. We dumped most of it in a big carboy with cheesecloth over the opening and stuck it in a closet and act fancy that we have ‘66 Chateau Margeux vinegar. We occasionally add more wine if we have something bad. It tastes somewhere between red wine vinegar and balsamic? A bit more body and mellower than normal red wine vinegar, but near as rich as balsamic.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
If I wanted to try fermenting some rehydrated dried chilis, what would be the best way to get some bacteria in there?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Klaus Kinski posted:

If I wanted to try fermenting some rehydrated dried chilis, what would be the best way to get some bacteria in there?

I'd throw in about 1/2T of yogurt with active cultures (so like a Chobani Greek yogurt or similar).

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
That's a cool idea, now I just need to find a swedish brand with active cultures.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Klaus Kinski posted:

That's a cool idea, now I just need to find a swedish brand with active cultures.

Luckily Sweden has some of the best food culture in the world

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I've been invited to a "Keto picnic". If it was vegetarian or even vegan I could work with that no problem. But looking up keto recipes it looks like you're basically limited to two options: lumps of meat/cheese and worse versions of non-keto things. Any suggestions?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

The Moon Monster posted:

I've been invited to a "Keto picnic". If it was vegetarian or even vegan I could work with that no problem. But looking up keto recipes it looks like you're basically limited to two options: lumps of meat/cheese and worse versions of non-keto things. Any suggestions?

I have a good broccoli bacon bake recipe, but I dunno if vegetables are keto.

Edit: Okay, they are. Get a pound of broccoli, slice stem into bite sized slices and floretts. Get some peppers, slice into thick strips. Get an onion, chop fine. 4 thick slices of bacon, chopped fine. 2 whole garlic cloves, whole, crushed and then minced. Toss everything in some canola oil and some shakes of paprika, bake at 450 for 10 minutes. Shake pan to toss everything, bake another 10 minutes or until broccoli smells done. Salt and pepper to taste. It's my favorite veggie dish. Great with rice or lentils.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Sep 19, 2018

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Lol your favorite veggie dish has bacon in it! :)

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I have a cast iron dutch oven and would like to buy an enameled dutch oven. Any suggestions to something not stupidly expensive like the Le Creuset? Or would my regular Lodge cast iron dutch oven be fine?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Lodge sells an enameled dutch oven, don't they?

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I got one of these as a Christmas gift from my parents almost three years ago and I use it all the time. Great quality.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

poop dood posted:

I got one of these as a Christmas gift from my parents almost three years ago and I use it all the time. Great quality.

Yep-I’ve had this one and the lodge enameled one. The cuisinart is much better and America’s test kitchen said the same; it’s not as rounded towards the bottom so it has more surface area available for browning than the lodge.

If you’re not in a super rush to get it, put a price alert for it on camelcamelcamel, though $80 is a pretty good deal I think.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Klaus Kinski posted:

You could also just include a couple fresh chilies or garlic or something. I had no trouble fermenting a fresh/rehydrated chili mix for hot sauce.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Feenix posted:

Lol your favorite veggie dish has bacon in it! :)

Well, yeah. Bacon makes it taste good.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Klaus Kinski posted:

You probably have more options than we have in the states...starting with siggi's: https://siggis.com/product/vanilla-filmjolk/

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Well, yeah. Bacon makes it taste good.

No shaming. Just made me giggle. :)

Robin Williams
Aug 11, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Whats a good Chimichurri recipe.

(Will be used with red meat if that helps)

Thanks!

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

My wife saw a Tasty video on how to make your own sprouted...everything. She proceeded to make about two pounds worth of mung bean sprouts. While they're tasty, we have way too many of them and want to use them before they go bad. Suggestions? I thought they'd be good in a stir fry and have been adding them to salads, but I've barely made a dent in them.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Pho!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Robin Williams posted:

Whats a good Chimichurri recipe.

(Will be used with red meat if that helps)

Thanks!

Just made some.

1 cup fresh parsley
2T fresh oregano.
4 cloves of garlic
Food process the hell out of it.
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar.
1 tsp fine kosher Salt
1/4 tsp Red chili flakes to taste.
Whisk.
Let come together in the fridge for a bit.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!

So what do I need to know in order to make Pho at home? What's some good general ideas or a good recipe?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Funktor posted:

So what do I need to know in order to make Pho at home? What's some good general ideas or a good recipe?

Here's one we love from Salt Fat Acid Heat, care of Google Books preview:

Note the Pho-specific substitutions in the second image.

Here's recipe for "Cambodian Noddle Soup with Tofu & Lemongrass" we love which is basically a pho with coconut milk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

BrianBoitano posted:

Here's recipe for "Cambodian Noddle Soup with Tofu & Lemongrass" we love which is basically a pho with coconut milk.

Mmm noddles.

If you're lazy, pho ga is hella fast and easier than pho bo