Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Liquid Communism posted:

Maybe he finally realized nobody's playing the game because he released.the mechanics half-baked and tried to make it up with setting.
Yeah - there is no way I'd pay more for any further 7th Sea stuff at this point.

I think a lot of backers were hoping for a less-jacked-up 7s 1e system, but instead we got ... what we got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

If you honestly believe 2e, warts and all, didn’t massively improve on 1e, I don’t know what to tell you.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mors Rattus posted:

If you honestly believe 2e, warts and all, didn’t massively improve on 1e, I don’t know what to tell you.

And I love the updated setting. Especially how it's expanded the world.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Mors Rattus posted:

Setting's fine.

Mechanics are trash. He made a swashbuckling game where the combat is entirely procedural and not fun, gave half the iconic swordsman schools abilities that flatly don't work, and unless it's changed recently just sketched in other important systems like how ships work and left them for the GM to fix.

At all points the correct answer to combat is to bring a four pistols, because a Duelist enemy will otherwise simply murder an entire party of non-Duelists with impunity due to their hilariously better action, damage, and defense economies.

1e at least had working mechanics, even if they were a bit heavier than they needed to be and had a learning curve.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Sep 18, 2018

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011
John Wick has been making games I would charitably describe as half-finished since leaving AEG. I’m sorry this was no different.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
At least Wick's leaning straight into making games with bad rules on purpose now instead of the older method of making games with bad rules by accident.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Liquid Communism posted:

1e at least had working mechanics, even if they were a bit heavier than they needed to be and had a learning curve.

If by working mechanics, you mean XP that doubled as your spend-to-roll-better points, Sorcery that cost your entire chargen budget for effects not worth even a tenth of it, and fencing schools that actively made your character worse than if they'd just sunk points into basic attack and defense.

2e, I grant, has problems. The duelist issue did get patched with a cheap merit that lets you get access to the main Duelist attack and defense maneuvers, though.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Mors Rattus posted:

If by working mechanics, you mean XP that doubled as your spend-to-roll-better points, Sorcery that cost your entire chargen budget for effects not worth even a tenth of it, and fencing schools that actively made your character worse than if they'd just sunk points into basic attack and defense.

I loved playing a Sorcerer. My favorite character was twice-blooded so I was lovely at TWO kinds of magic. Also only being able to raise anything by a point per major arc made that sorcery/swords man skill you had to keep low in creation a huge anchor.

I played a bunch of 1st edition, and have played a lot of 2nd and I do like the game overall. But 2nd was definitely not what I wanted rules wise. It wants to be really narrative, but has too much crunch for that, yet not enough to even be as good as 1st.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Which isn't a patch at all.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, at least for me, a system which tries to be both narrative-fluffy and rules-crunchy all at once is the worst of both worlds, because it ends up doing neither well. 7s 2e just slams right into that awkward middle zone.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

So, White Wolf's CEO quit

https://twitter.com/tobiassjogren/status/1042777267657687040

Anyone got any ideas about what that means for the company?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Have they said who's replacing him? Because that would be what to pay attention to in regards to how this changes anything.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I wonder how much of that meeting was about the weird fascist dogwhistling and how much was

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9McGKrxOnB8

Izzy
Mar 22, 2010

Gibbering in the void
Anyone know how nuVamp doing sales-wise? Resigning would make sense if it tanked, but I have no idea if that actually happened.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Is New Vampire even for sale on Drive thru? I think they may be fundamentally misunderstanding modern RPG shopping, even more than expected.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I didn't even realise nuVamp had been released. Thought it was still in development. =/

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
It's been out for a while now. They're extremely bad at this. And no - you can't buy it on DTRPG. You have to buy it from Modiphius.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Edit: ^^^^ Oh, is that where the link on WW takes you? That's slightly less stupid, although even Modiphius sells their products through DTRPG.

Even though they have their very own specialized storefront through DTRPG, I believe you can only get the V5 PDF through White Wolf's in-house storefront. Because who doesn't love signing up for a whole new service for one specific product?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

potatocubed posted:

I didn't even realise nuVamp had been released. Thought it was still in development. =/

It launched at GenCon, they had stacks of garish pink-purple-red-gold-black cover with the giant coffee mug stain on it or... I don't know quite that they were going for. Why is the border only three-sided? Every time I look at it I feel like I see another "but... why?" I know it's hard to match the impact of the original cover for Vampire: the Masquerade, but that thing looks like an open wound sitting on a table.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The published fan books are sold through Drive-Thru RPG as is the 5th Edition quickstart, but not the corebook. Why did they even need Modiphus, were they that hard up for printing books?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kavak posted:

The published fan books are sold through Drive-Thru RPG as is the 5th Edition quickstart, but not the corebook. Why did they even need Modiphus, were they that hard up for printing books?

I get subcontracting publishing duties out, because that is a pain if you don't have the infrastructure in place, but the lack of PDFs on the biggest RPG PDF site out there is... not smart.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

The scuttlebutt I heard from industry folks is that nuVamp sold extremely well at Gencon. But beyond that I've got no clue.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Everything sells really well at Gencon, which is why everything debuts there.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Swedracula is still the lead storyteller by all indications, so the threat of this is still hanging over everything:

quote:

What, if any, less explored books, supplements, or ideas from the original game lines are you planning to bring back or explore deeper in the One World of Darkness?

Martin: There are many early books that deserve to be updated to contemporary times and get hooked into the development of the metaplot, a lot of great but underused ideas that popped up in fiction anthologies have also caught my eye. To name some personal impulses: ”Shoah: Charnel Houses of Europe” and ”Gypsies” (Should be called something like “Opre Roma!”) could use new editions in our age, as the horrors of the fear of the Other is again on the rise in Europe. I read a lot about the Ashirra and Middle Eastern WoD for obvious reasons. I think a lot of greatness is found in books like ”Love Beyond Death” and ”Ghouls – Fatal Addiction” and you’ll probably see us inspired by stories where the supernatural meets the mortal world a lot more. Also, Dark Ages of all kinds! Holy poo poo, there’s a lot of treasures there. I also love the first and second edition of Mummy…

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Swedracula posted:

To name some personal impulses: ”Shoah: Charnel Houses of Europe”

As he reads this, Zak S furiously starts one-handed typing a 40-page short story about lesbian Tzimisce dominatrixes in Auschwitz.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Comrade Koba posted:

As he reads this, Zak S furiously starts one-handed typing a 40-page short story about lesbian Tzimisce dominatrixes in Auschwitz.

He can reuse the breast table from A Red & Pleasant Land!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I still think Shoah was actually a pretty good and well-written/researched book but I really can't honestly it being used in an actual campaign.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The Shoah is shockingly well-written and respectful, yes. It is also more unusable than any other Wraith book, and that lightning would almost certainly be uncapturable against today by White Wolf.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
That the Shoah book was about the most tasteful possible take on the topic is all the more insulting that they're going to take a nu stab at it, because there's negative 300% chance that this time is going to be like that.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Mors Rattus posted:

The Shoah is shockingly well-written and respectful, yes. It is also more unusable than any other Wraith book, and that lightning would almost certainly be uncapturable against today by White Wolf.

I mean I say it's unusable in that the tone is so dark and somber I can't see a LARP or RP group being able to pull it. It's like getting your film club that's been usually watching hollywood and the occasional indie or foreign film to watch loving Come and See for the first time.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mors Rattus posted:

Yeah. I'm glad it exists. I'm glad I read it. I also cannot in my wildest imagination ever consider using it.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
You guys don't have to spend 10 posts reiterating that Charnel Houses of Europe exercised surprising restraint and maturity for a Black Dog book every time it comes up. Especially when the punchline is right there with the lead storyteller thinking a serious meditation on the Holocaust and Gypsy are equally deserving of being republished.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

Kavak posted:

Well, originally they were talking about how they wanted to "get WoD back in stores" which mostly showed how clueless they were about why the industry had went to the PoD/kickstarter sort of model (and that they thought it was an either/or between that and having books in game shops). Then somewhere along the line they seemed to realize that all this publishing and distribution stuff was hard, so they got modiphus involved, who does both store distribution and online sales. Why/how they decided not to have their core book on dtrpg who knows, but given that Modiphus publishes there, I have to assume it was nuWW's idea not to. It would seem like a logical continuation of their ignorance of how anything actually works in the RPG world today.

Or the short form: nuWW is convinced that the WoD is 2018 is still this super special property, and keep blundering as they find out things don't work like they imagined they did in the 90s.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Nuns with Guns posted:

You guys don't have to spend 10 posts reiterating that Charnel Houses of Europe exercised surprising restraint and maturity for a Black Dog book every time it comes up. Especially when the punchline is right there with the lead storyteller thinking a serious meditation on the Holocaust and Gypsy are equally deserving of being republished.

Also that both should "get hooked into the development of the metaplot".

The idea that they have a metaplot alone is :rolleyes: enough, much less worrying about how Jewish ghosts and ethnic wanderers play into it.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Interesting tweet thread by the Stigmata RPG writer:

https://twitter.com/Papa_Shell/status/1043543779490316290

Now that it's out, a lot of people seem to like it, even though I know the KS didn't go over that well here.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.

clockworkjoe posted:

Interesting tweet thread by the Stigmata RPG writer:

https://twitter.com/Papa_Shell/status/1043543779490316290

Now that it's out, a lot of people seem to like it, even though I know the KS didn't go over that well here.

The thread is... hmm. He basically calls out cishet white leftists for being the main opposition to the game, in the classic "leftist purity tests will destroy any popular movement" sort of way. He also claims that the people from marginalized groups that he spoke to "got it" and understood the importance of allying with different, non-ideologically-pure groups to achieve political aims.

Speaking as, yeah, a cishet white male leftist, I still think he maybe doesn't quite see that the issue isn't that he wrote a game about achieving solidarity against nazis, it's that he wrote a game where you are supposed to achieve solidarity with the very groups who would be facilitating and encouraging nazis in the first place. I dunno, maybe I still don't get it! I'm sure the game itself is more nuanced than all that, I haven't read it -- but saying "well, minorities understand you need to work with whoever you can" doesn't quite lead to "and therefore, we need to team up with the Christian right to defeat fascism" in my mind.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
If I was a more cynical person I'd almost suggest that he deliberately set out to emphasize the "teaming up with the religious right, survivalist militias, and corporate libertarians" angle during the Kickstarter so he could then turn around and go "see, the left only care about purity tests!" afterwards.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I'm pretty sure at least some of the folks who approached him with concerns weren't straight cis white dudes so to be honest he can gently caress off.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Hey, my unnamed black friends say I'm right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.

unseenlibrarian posted:

I'm pretty sure at least some of the folks who approached him with concerns weren't straight cis white dudes so to be honest he can gently caress off.

That too. The BernieBro defence is a little played out at this point, I think.