Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That's importantly not counting the online sales/subscription service.

WotC really dropped the ball on that. They started out selling 4e PDFs, then stopped because of piracy... meaning for many people, the only way to get many D&D books (especially limited run ones like Monster Vault) is piracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Ghost Leviathan posted:

WotC really dropped the ball on that. They started out selling 4e PDFs, then stopped because of piracy... meaning for many people, the only way to get many D&D books (especially limited run ones like Monster Vault) is piracy.

Also, the PDFs that were circulating had bleed and color palette information, and were showing up on chans before opening up for sale on DTRPG, meaning they weren't from people just buying them and then distributing them. At "best" DTRPG had a hole in their security, but I don't think anyone else's books were getting pirated like that, so it was either bad security or even an employee at Wizards itself.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

That Old Tree posted:

Also, the PDFs that were circulating had bleed and color palette information, and were showing up on chans before opening up for sale on DTRPG, meaning they weren't from people just buying them and then distributing them. At "best" DTRPG had a hole in their security, but I don't think anyone else's books were getting pirated like that, so it was either bad security or even an employee at Wizards itself.

right - the pirated PDFs were "printer proofs", so it wasn't the buying customers that were spreading it around

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

That Old Tree posted:

I had pdfs of the core 3 books since it was easer to search a pdf in session than flip through books. All of them had stuff like the pallet info and/or dye-lines. So I always assumed it came from a printer they contracted. Plus all my purchases from DTRPG had the whole pages and hyperlinked sections, which those :filez: did not.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Basically, WotC had a good product and no idea what to do with it. No wonder the remaining staff fled straight back into the arms of grognards and nostalgia, they have no idea and no interest in selling a modern product.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Ironically, now that 4e is discontinued they're selling pretty much the entire 4e line on DTRPG.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Basically, WotC had a good product and no idea what to do with it. No wonder the remaining staff fled straight back into the arms of grognards and nostalgia, they have no idea and no interest in selling a modern product.

I always thought the problem was more hasbro and budgeting vs sales expectations. Like even when 3rd had record sales there were stories of WotC folks bragging and elated, but Hasbro shrugging since that record year was the equivalent in pushed units for a dud GI Joe or other brand year.
So by 4th's release it was just viewed as the dorkly little side project WotC could do as long as Magic still printed money. It wasn't a priority and recieved lackluster promotion. This was paired with setbacks like the murder suicide that took out their webtools team.

By the time we get to 5th they sorta realize it's a legacy brand and IP to get people interested in their other poo poo and a tie in gimmick (remember by this point there are loving MtG action figures).
But yeah it also follows that much like disney or wb don't care much about the quality or state of their comic books as long as they keep the ip going, hasbro doesn't care that d&d has bad devs now.
Plus now we have all that twitch and other stream stuff, which sorta existed with 4th (hell the penny arcade guys got a roommate of mine to play some gamma world with me) but the wave hadn't quite crested. They're putting decent money into that promotion and have sponsored some very talented and passionate folks to be the faces of d&d -instead of just sorta relying on the skeleton crew of developers to also fill that role.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

gradenko_2000 posted:

right - the pirated PDFs were "printer proofs", so it wasn't the buying customers that were spreading it around
I seem to remember there was more than that. Like, PDFs were available at first. And then some people purchased PHB2 in PDF and shared it around a bunch, which led to WotC suing them.

(This is a dim recollection, but if I can't post dim recollections on something awful dot com then I don't even know what I'm supposed to be doing here.)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The Twitch exposure of D&D is making it into a bit of a spectator sport.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

Absolutely disgusting.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

I would love this. "Ooh Phil, it looks like Grog the Barbarian is stepping up to the plate. Now he's had a .278 average in his last three encounters, but he found that +1 greatsword at that troll cave and he looks ready to cleave some skulls."

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:

Imagined posted:

I would love this. "Ooh Phil, it looks like Grog the Barbarian is stepping up to the plate. Now he's had a .278 average in his last three encounters, but he found that +1 greatsword at that troll cave and he looks ready to cleave some skulls."
This is why I demand charop'd characters for my players, that avg is embarrassing and brings down the whole production narrative.

Plutonis posted:

Absolutely disgusting.

It's like voyeurism for nerds.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The popularity of media where you just watch people talk serves as a reminder for me to occasionally leave my house and talk to people.

Yes I have 50 gigs of podcasts on my hard drive shut up

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL

Halloween Jack posted:

The popularity of media where you just watch people talk serves as a reminder for me to occasionally leave my house and talk to people.

Just start a podcast about podcasts!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Anniversary posted:

It's like voyeurism for nerds.
Voyeurism is voyeurism for nerds.

Halloween Jack posted:

I have to actively remind myself not to just download, like, 30 interesting episodes of every new podcast I find.

I also need to prune back my politics podcasts some, because I never get to all of them in time. And in the blasted hell-scape of 2018, news is stale within a week.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

dwarf74 posted:

Voyeurism is voyeurism for nerds.

I have to actively remind myself not to just download, like, 30 interesting episodes of every new podcast I find.

I also need to prune back my politics podcasts some, because I never get to all of them in time. And in the blasted hell-scape of 2018, news is stale within a week.

I had to cut back on politics pods because it made me want to drive into a wall, so now I just listen to celebrities telling stories to each other and giggling.

I listened to some podcast games, but they got repetitive after awhile. Occasionally I enjoy one where at least one player has no idea what's going on, like the Giant Beastcast AW episode.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
I'm being an idiot and debating picking up a used copy of the Dust Revised Core Set. Anyone played? How much would you value it at if so?

I just remember looking into it when I was new into boardgames and being interested but don't remember any refined opinions I might've had.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Imagined posted:

The kid's got a lot of heart, Tom, you gotta give him that

OH THAT WAS A NASTY RECKLESS ATTACK!!! You could feel that all the way in the bleachers!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

gradenko_2000 posted:

The kid's got a lot of heart, Tom, you gotta give him that

OH THAT WAS A NASTY RECKLESS ATTACK!!! You could feel that all the way in the bleachers!

Yeah, World Wide Wrestling owns.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
One day someone will make X-Crawl, But Good.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/K2_PUBLISHING/status/1042000116704370688

yo anybody read Japanese?

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

So.. Heavy Gear?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hypnobeard posted:

So.. Heavy Gear?

No, VOTOMS

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Hypnobeard posted:

So.. Heavy Gear?

VOTOMS is basically the main inspiration for Heavy Gear

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

drrockso20 posted:

VOTOMS is basically the main inspiration for Heavy Gear

Yep. That's a board game about VOTOMS (I'm assuming some kind of minis thing, not sure from the tweet).. so it's basically Heavy Gear.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
No miniatures, unfortunately

I don't know this for a fact, but I'm going to assume that one of the game mechanics is that you can become disillusioned with war, and if your disillusion meters fills up you have to walk away from the game and the other players have to try to hunt you down and kill you.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
For various reasons miniature based war games have just never been much of a thing in Japan

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL

drrockso20 posted:

For various reasons miniature based war games have just never been much of a thing in Japan

:japan: a country after my own heart in this one regard.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

drrockso20 posted:

It seems like GW is actually making inroads there, with smaller games like Silver Tower and their Japan-only gashapon

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Sneaking on in here from my hiatus to let everyone know that recognized genius and all around great RPG dude Cecil Howe has just launched his The Forest Hymn & Picnic kickstarter, linked here.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!
Let's see...

"Votoms Tactics," the Armored Trooper Votoms board game, is coming out on October 25th, and the image in the tweet is the box art.

They also tweeted some images of hex maps for the game, so I'm guessing it's a board wargame kind of thing?
https://twitter.com/K2_PUBLISHING/status/1041980201591169025

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Honestly hearing that a game doesn't have minis should make you MORE confident in its quality these days

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
While Heavy Gear had a rad rpg and a couple of good games, the Heavy Gear cartoon they had was bad and not nearly as good as VOTOMS.

Japan wins again.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Countblanc posted:

Honestly hearing that a game doesn't have minis should make you MORE confident in its quality these days

no no no I paid 200 bucks for the deluxe backer kit 3 years ago, let's test out this new game I got! Hey guys come back! Wait! Guys?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone know where I could get a set of the mutant year zero dice at a reasonable price? They're sold out everywhere except amazon for like $30. I checked etsy to see if there were any DIY ones, but doesn't seem like it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So my misunderstanding of Fronts and Dangers in Dungeon World has led to two heralds of the apocalypse imminently announcing themselves upon the world and the rogue shadow state of the government taking control of a world-burning superweapon as the starting situation for our players.

This is the adventure front, which is meant to resolve within 2~3 sessions.

Everything I have down for the campaign front, which is almost nothing, involves fascist tyranny, elemental chaos, and abominable eldritch curses.

This is basically my first real GMing experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfpDSNNgYhI

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Pollyanna posted:

So my misunderstanding of Fronts and Dangers in Dungeon World has led to two heralds of the apocalypse imminently announcing themselves upon the world and the rogue shadow state of the government taking control of a world-burning superweapon as the starting situation for our players.

Everything I have down for the campaign front, which is almost nothing, involves fascist tyranny, elemental chaos, and abominable eldritch curses.

Sounds rad. Go big or go home.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

Well, for what it's worth you're doin' it right so far.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Antivehicular posted:

Sounds rad. Go big or go home.

Agreed. Cranking everything up to 11 is not always the answer to "how do I make game good," but Dungeon World handles it better than D&D in my experience, and giving yourself permission to bring the hammer down on this poor innocent setting is probably a good thing!

Suggestion: make some custom moves to thematically reinforce the approaching apocalypse(s), one the players can trigger or run afoul of. "When you travel under the baleful gaze of the Apocalypse Star, roll WIS" etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Pollyanna posted:

This is good, but we're going to need regular updates.