Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Rand alPaul posted:

Bane did nothing wrong.

bane is a pretty sinister counter-revolutionary figure, since he is intended to teach you to not trust radicals because they just want to murder people. he's born from nolan's fear of the occupy movement

same thing with killmonger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Serf posted:

bane is a pretty sinister counter-revolutionary figure, since he is intended to teach you to not trust radicals because they just want to murder people. he's born from nolan's fear of the occupy movement

same thing with killmonger

my poo poo

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Agean90 posted:

The Plan occured during the 08 primary so I'm.bettomg it has something to do with birtherism
It 100% does.

Serf
May 5, 2011

killmonger is, if anything, worse than bane because the lesson behind his defeat is to never seek restitution or revenge for the crimes of the past. do not trouble the status quo, work within the system, revolution is too much. t'challa's victory is basically telling you reparations are bad

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Rand alPaul posted:

Bane did nothing wrong.

He put the pussy on the pedestal and sold out the revolution

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

Raskolnikov38 posted:

not to necessarily start a batman derail but the whole point of the dark knight trilogy was that gotham was actually redeemable right? but outside of the boat scene and the handful of vigilantes pretending to be wayne in the second one do gotham's citizens actually do anything

When Gotham found out that their government was holding people in secret prisons without charge or trial, they completely lost their poo poo and backed a revolution. I'd say that's redeemable.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

i say swears online posted:

It just confirms to me the peace corps is about getting laid instead of doing good and establishing international ties

It's mostly about careerist resume padding for people with aspirations to join the foreign policy blob but didn't go to one of the military academies.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Serf posted:

killmonger is, if anything, worse than bane because the lesson behind his defeat is to never seek restitution or revenge for the crimes of the past. do not trouble the status quo, work within the system, revolution is too much. t'challa's victory is basically telling you reparations are bad

Maybe not. I just realized that Killmonger won power legitimately through Wakanda’s political system. T’challa and his cadre of generals then staged a coup—killing the rightful king.

the lesson is to liquidate the ruling class before they can stage their counterrevolution.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Monarchism is bad, as is any political system where you can seize power by throwing someone off a waterfall

Within that system, though, T'Challa is still the rightful king because teeeeechnically he didn't die, he points this out in the movie too

That said though I thought Killmonger represented the military-industrial complex more than anything else, hence him ordering the magic flowers to be burned for no particular reason

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Serf posted:

I will be the guy who opens himself up to ridicule by admitting I was moved to tears by the dying words of the costumed supervillain in the mass market children's movie Black Panther.

“Bury me in the ocean, with my ancestors that jumped from the ships, because they knew death was better than bondage.”

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Owlbear Camus posted:

I will be the guy who opens himself up to ridicule by admitting I was moved to tears by the dying words of the costumed supervillain in the mass market children's movie Black Panther.

“Bury me in the ocean, with my ancestors that jumped from the ships, because they knew death was better than bondage.”

better than the guy who said he cried at the end of the spiderman game

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Phi230 posted:

better than the guy who said he cried at the end of the spiderman game

that was also me, but it was this one:

Serf
May 5, 2011

Owlbear Camus posted:

i think that's reasonable. killmonger did nothing wrong and is the hero of the movie, which ends with him tragically being killed. something tells me coogler empathized with killmonger, and snuck in as much sympathy for him as he could get past disney's censors

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Owlbear Camus posted:

that was the only good part of the movie

i'm sick of disney making libs win every time

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

Serf posted:

i think that's reasonable. killmonger did nothing wrong and is the hero of the movie, which ends with him tragically being killed. something tells me coogler empathized with killmonger, and snuck in as much sympathy for him as he could get past disney's censors

killmonger is clearly the character coogler empathized with the most and all the mustache twirling poo poo he does like burning the flowers was probably mandated by the studio, much like the terrible white audience stand-in cia agent who helps tchalla overthrow the movie’s hero

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

double negative posted:

killmonger is clearly the character coogler empathized with the most and all the mustache twirling poo poo he does like burning the flowers was probably mandated by the studio, much like the terrible white audience stand-in cia agent who helps tchalla overthrow the movie’s hero

I did have to hold in my barf for the heroic CIA agent flying a drone to help heroically prevent a fictional resource-rich African nation from doing worldwide anti-colonial revolution.

Serf
May 5, 2011

killmonger: deliver superweapons to the oppressed and spark a worldwide revolution against the imperialist powers
t'challa: give away our technology to the imperialists and, i dunno, teach some kids to code?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

The problem with killmonger will always be that suddenly violent revolution in a blockbuster flick becomes deeply nuanced and something you really need to question and dig deep on the moment it's a black dude doing it, which makes the light imperialism critique built into his character ring a bit hollow.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Why is it that Wakanda had both men and women in its army, but segregated them

there seemed to be a men's army (headed by Daniel Kaluuya) and a women's army (headed by some lady I forget), what's the deal with that

I literally just saw this movie last week for the first time because it's on Netflix now and I never see movies in theaters anymore

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Because Black Panther is Anastasia for black people.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I always got strong Maoist vibes from Killmonger

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

https://twitter.com/dril/status/397497654239711232?s=19

The plan was definitely about covering up the toad

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

KomradeX posted:

I always got strong Maoist vibes from Killmonger

Much like mao he was brought low by the most cruel force of all, 3rd stage syphilis.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
it is with a heavy heart that i must report

:abuela: is at it again

https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/1042067966861434880

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

oh no not our norms

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Lol at this other part (I manually updated the time code because phone posting, hope it works)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQFsPZgMGnE#t=748s

This is amazing.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Maybe at some point they should have hit back since they positioned even the most right wing of Dems to be the reincarnation of Stalin. But no they just have to "work together and teach across the aisle to get things done" whaaaat those things that need to get done are never said but I suspect it's more war, lower corporate taxes and benefit cuts

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Lastgirl posted:

it is with a heavy heart that i must report

:abuela: is at it again

https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/1042067966861434880

of course - she has a book to sell

she'll quiet down in a few days

remember when Donna Brazile suddenly realized that Hillary had rigged the primaries just as it came time to start selling her tell-all book - and then she went back on it later?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

loquacius posted:

there seemed to be a men's army (headed by Daniel Kaluuya) and a women's army (headed by some lady I forget), what's the deal with that

I literally just saw this movie last week for the first time because it's on Netflix now and I never see movies in theaters anymore

In the comic the lady warriors were the black panther's harem.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

finally mueller will Lock Her Up!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

In the comic the lady warriors were the black panther's harem.

of course they were

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

punk rebel ecks posted:

This is amazing.

It never ceases to frustrate, confound, and amaze when someone publicly tells these people the blindingly obvious fact that if Democrats ran on things people wanted or needed they would win that their reaction is to sputter for a few moments before quintupling down on lesser evilism.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Il Federale posted:

lol at all those hillary tweets

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Iron Twinkie posted:

It never ceases to frustrate, confound, and amaze when someone publicly tells these people the blindingly obvious fact that if Democrats ran on things people wanted or needed they would win that their reaction is to sputter for a few moments before quintupling down on lesser evilism.

It's funny: They feel like they'd die if they took their mouth off the teat of the donor class to embrace things that could regain seats, but as they go the way of the whigs, surely the donor class won't have any quid pro quo reason not to wean them off harshly.

Can't sell access and influence if you can't keep a majority or win an election.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

loquacius posted:

smh @ this "ally" not giving money to Disney

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Woke up this morning to find tweets and articles about Trump's dick. gently caress the media.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Owlbear Camus posted:

It's funny: They feel like they'd die if they took their mouth off the teat of the donor class to embrace things that could regain seats, but as they go the way of the whigs, surely the donor class won't have any quid pro quo reason not to wean them off harshly.

Can't sell access and influence if you can't keep a majority or win an election.

no one ever accused the rich and powerful of being smart

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

the rich of even moderate intelligence like buffet and gates are trying to tug on their collar and hint that the new deal should come back at least partially... lest the poor and downtrodden realize how hosed things truly are.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Iron Twinkie posted:

They don't want to accept reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THS
Sep 15, 2017

killmonger had to do cartoonish evil things and violence against women because otherwise he’s unambiguously the good guy