Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Panfilo posted:

I'm kind of surprised that Architect isn't required to build certain structures.

What about Cook and artist?

Why the hell isn't doctor a job?

Cook isn't crucial because the first level (Sous Chef) can cook everything.

I expect this will be changed at some point.

Same with artist. Art Student can do everything, so you can just switch someone's profession (someone with creativity of at least 3) to that when you have some blank canvases or sculpture blocks that need to be art'd. Then switch them back to their usual profession. I expect this will be changed as well - it makes sense to make sculptures a higher level item for instance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
germs in this game are basically a nonissue unless you're incredibly careless about them for a very long time

it's not "gasp! a single slimelung germ got into my dupe, now The Plague will happen and all my work will be turned to dust"; they practically have to be hotboxing slimelung for several days before it even dings their immunity to the point where an actual infection can even happen, and you have to ignore it for another day or two before they actually become sick

as long as you're not letting narcoleptic dupes take naps in the slime biome or letting polluted oxygen from one vent directly into your base it's fine

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

enraged_camel posted:

Cook isn't crucial because the first level (Sous Chef) can cook everything.

I expect this will be changed at some point.

Same with artist. Art Student can do everything, so you can just switch someone's profession (someone with creativity of at least 3) to that when you have some blank canvases or sculpture blocks that need to be art'd. Then switch them back to their usual profession. I expect this will be changed as well - it makes sense to make sculptures a higher level item for instance.

Even that isn't necessary if you get a high creativity pawn. My chef has six ranks in creativity and paints masterpieces in his spare time.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Ambaire posted:

Um. I thought I heard that vomiting dupes dramatically lower their calorie reserves.

This was a fair few patches ago, it could very well not work anymore with some re balancing.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Sigh my current base is bugged. Won't keep food. I don't get a 'unrefrigerated food warning' or a 'food decayed' warning, but even if I use the sandbox and spawn over 100K in omelettes, the food supply is down to 0 within three minutes. I have 12 dupes. I've tried saving and reloading to no avail, my poor dupes are starving. It was fine yesterday but not anymore. Oh and I have blossoms, meal lice, egg cracker and two cooks.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!

enraged_camel posted:

Architect is currently useless. So is plumber.

I remember there was a build where plumbers could "empty pipes" that have liquid in them. But then it just vanished one build and never came back. It even says that plumbers can perform that job, yet I haven't seen the option since.

It would be useful at least. I've dumped so much poo water onto my dupes.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

User0015 posted:

I remember there was a build where plumbers could "empty pipes" that have liquid in them. But then it just vanished one build and never came back. It even says that plumbers can perform that job, yet I haven't seen the option since.

It would be useful at least. I've dumped so much poo water onto my dupes.

It's still available, but as an action button on the lower right corner.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

bird food bathtub posted:

I consider the first two tiers of gofer mandatory. Unless I have a pressing need like a researcher or mining through abyssalite everyone goes through at least the first level before moving on. The holding capacity upgrade is bonkers.
I hear this strategy recommended a lot. Do you do it even on the early 4 dupes? Doesn't that slow down the building/digging necessary to create enough mealwood to sustain the colony?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

For me, Gofer is the "oh, it looks like you have mastered your primary job, and the colony doesn't have enough amenities yet for higher tier jobs, so here's something else you can do while we build up to that" type job.

Carrying capacity is very useful, but you are right, it shouldn't be prioritized over more critical stuff, imo.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I hear this strategy recommended a lot. Do you do it even on the early 4 dupes? Doesn't that slow down the building/digging necessary to create enough mealwood to sustain the colony?

Generally, my first 3 dupes are Miner, Farmer, Scientist. After they master that job, they go thru gofer -> courier route. Everyone else goes through gofer -> courier then specific job paths. I usually also train everyone in mining, at least the first two levels. I don't bother with storing stuff until I have couriers.

To avoid contamination of the bathroom stuff, I dig 3 + 1(floor)+ 2 below, let all the bathroom tile waste fall into the 2 below, then build bathroom floor and toilet/etc.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

bird food bathtub posted:

I consider the first two tiers of gofer mandatory. Unless I have a pressing need like a researcher or mining through abyssalite everyone goes through at least the first level before moving on. The holding capacity upgrade is bonkers.

I never even thought about the idea of using jobs just to train skills, and yet it seems so obvious.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Ambaire posted:

Generally, my first 3 dupes are Miner, Farmer, Scientist. After they master that job, they go thru gofer -> courier route. Everyone else goes through gofer -> courier then specific job paths. I usually also train everyone in mining, at least the first two levels. I don't bother with storing stuff until I have couriers.

To avoid contamination of the bathroom stuff, I dig 3 + 1(floor)+ 2 below, let all the bathroom tile waste fall into the 2 below, then build bathroom floor and toilet/etc.
Do you set Job Preferences so one of Miner/Farmer/Scientist also does build? Also, can you expand on your second sentence, or show a sketch? I'm baffled.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I never even thought about the idea of using jobs just to train skills, and yet it seems so obvious.

Once a dupe masters a job they keep its bonuses forever. That's why its a very good idea to train everybody as a courier along the way. That carry bonus is huge. Meanwhile don't do any research unless somebody is levelling some scientist. That learning boost makes literally every other skill level faster. That adds up until you have super dupes that have mastered most jobs and have multiple skills over 10. This is why my first three dupes I make sure have a good learning score. Those skill gains add up and it's easy to science up all the toys quickly.

The game really does need some better docs but eh...part of the fun really is just randomly doing crap and then learning from the inevitable failure cascade.

Also loud sleeper was mentioned. The radius is actually pretty small. I deal with that by just giving noisy sleepers their own room away from the regular barracks. As far as negative traits go that's one of the easiest to deal with.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Once a dupe masters a job they keep its bonuses forever.

WHAT

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Yes, that's the entire point of a mastery.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Do you set Job Preferences so one of Miner/Farmer/Scientist also does build? Also, can you expand on your second sentence, or show a sketch? I'm baffled.

I let everyone do everything, but the miner/farmer/scientist have their jobs at max priority.

Literally this. Floor at the 6's after the 5's have been dug out.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Also loud sleeper was mentioned. The radius is actually pretty small. I deal with that by just giving noisy sleepers their own room away from the regular barracks. As far as negative traits go that's one of the easiest to deal with.

Just put them on a separate work/sleep schedule. Loud sleeper isn't even a thing anymore. As long as they share the same down/bath time there's literally no difference between them and the others. And you can put multiples of them in the same bedroom too, just change the schedule if you need to.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Don't even need to do that, it's only two tiles. Just put them in an end-of-row bed and remove the bed beside them. All Loud Sleeper does is give you a little extra space to cram artwork into.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

It's still available, but as an action button on the lower right corner.

Yeah, when you click on a pipe section and the buttons pop up with details on the object? That hasn't shown up for me in multiple builds.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

enraged_camel posted:

Yes, that's the entire point of a mastery.

I thought mastery was entirely for getting to the next job rank :negative:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

User0015 posted:

Yeah, when you click on a pipe section and the buttons pop up with details on the object? That hasn't shown up for me in multiple builds.

No, the actions bar on the bottom right. Dig, Deconstruct, etc.

One of them is "Empty Pipe".

(It might appear only if you have someone who can perform that task, though. I have to check.)

Biffmotron
Jan 12, 2007

Mayveena posted:

Sigh my current base is bugged. Won't keep food. I don't get a 'unrefrigerated food warning' or a 'food decayed' warning, but even if I use the sandbox and spawn over 100K in omelettes, the food supply is down to 0 within three minutes. I have 12 dupes. I've tried saving and reloading to no avail, my poor dupes are starving. It was fine yesterday but not anymore. Oh and I have blossoms, meal lice, egg cracker and two cooks.

Do you have a hatch ranch, and did you check that the feeder is not set to store dupe food?

Cause I had a base starve to death when they put 200K calories of food in the hatch feeders.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Dupe food is also lovely hatch food if you want coal anyway. Stuff them forever with sand.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Biffmotron posted:

Do you have a hatch ranch, and did you check that the feeder is not set to store dupe food?

Cause I had a base starve to death when they put 200K calories of food in the hatch feeders.

Nope I didn't check that. Bet that was it, I'll check.

loving hatches eating omelettes. Back to sand you go!!!!

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Sep 17, 2018

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Also did you spawn the food in the air? I've seen it disappear upon hitting the ground in the past if it's too high up.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
So what changed in the slime biome for the exponential explosion of slimelung in polluted oxygen? Because I'm seeing 10 million germs just farting around in there and showing no signs of dying off. One of my dupes got a lungful and went from 100% to 0% in 10 seconds.

Edit: Scratch that, they are dying down properly. Mining slime with it throws the germs into the air now?

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Sep 18, 2018

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Sage Grimm posted:

So what changed in the slime biome for the exponential explosion of slimelung in polluted oxygen? Because I'm seeing 10 million germs just farting around in there and showing no signs of dying off. One of my dupes got a lungful and went from 100% to 0% in 10 seconds.

Edit: Scratch that, they are dying down properly. Mining slime with it throws the germs into the air now?

Slime emits germy polluted oxygen. The more slime there is, the more germs there will be. Germs start dying off automatically if there are too many of them, but it's percentage based, so it is possible to end up with millions of germs before the percentage starts to balance out the germs released by the slime debris.

If you find a pocket with lots of pufts making GBS threads slime, try to avoid it (unless they are making GBS threads it into water).

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

BattleMaster posted:

Every time I've had a stress vomiter go off, they took a direct route to a ladder shaft and started vomiting on other dupes trying to go places.

edit: can you purposefully abuse stress vomiters/ugly criers to keep them in a constant stressed-out state to turn them into liquid sources :thunk:

I swear this was how the game worked for some people in the early builds.

Despite the game fluff for it, I have yet to see someone harness a flatulant Dupe for the power of methane generators.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Speedball posted:

I swear this was how the game worked for some people in the early builds.

Despite the game fluff for it, I have yet to see someone harness a flatulant Dupe for the power of methane generators.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Oxygennotincluded/comments/8mizya/psa_cant_run_a_power_network_off_of_flatulence/

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
So how exactly do you start safely expanding into other biomes? The temperature in them and the things like gasses and slimelung make it really rough and I'm not sure how to do it without dupes dying.

edit: I should read the thread before posting. :downs: Time to tackle slime town

Kitfox88 fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Sep 18, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

enraged_camel posted:

Slime emits germy polluted oxygen. The more slime there is, the more germs there will be. Germs start dying off automatically if there are too many of them, but it's percentage based, so it is possible to end up with millions of germs before the percentage starts to balance out the germs released by the slime debris.

If you find a pocket with lots of pufts making GBS threads slime, try to avoid it (unless they are making GBS threads it into water).
It's definitely not just that, after mining a couple of slimes in a co2 area I ended up with slime lung in the co2

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Splicer posted:

It's definitely not just that, after mining a couple of slimes in a co2 area I ended up with slime lung in the co2

It doesn't die immediately but slimelung can't survive forever in anything that isn't polluted oxygen. It'll slowly die off. This is also why it isn't a huge deal if a bit of it gets in your base. The atmosphere will kill it and having random pockets of 2,000 germs just isn't enough to accomplish much of anything.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It doesn't die immediately but slimelung can't survive forever in anything that isn't polluted oxygen. It'll slowly die off. This is also why it isn't a huge deal if a bit of it gets in your base. The atmosphere will kill it and having random pockets of 2,000 germs just isn't enough to accomplish much of anything.
I know, I meant that I think mining slime now releases some slime lung before outgassing.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

waitwaitwaitwait, carbondioxide is a sterilizing gas? So if I put all my foodstuffs in a tiny pocket of CO2 it will stay fresh forever? Excellent!

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

double nine posted:

waitwaitwaitwait, carbondioxide is a sterilizing gas? So if I put all my foodstuffs in a tiny pocket of CO2 it will stay fresh forever? Excellent!

I think food only spoils if it's in oxygen. If it's polluted oxygen it'll even spoil of refrigerated but yeah, if you create a pocket of CO2 and put food boxen in it it won't go bad, ever. CO2 isn't actively sterilizing but germs can't survive in it. Food poisoning actually can't survive in the air at all.

Germs need pretty specific conditions to thrive. This is why slimelung isn't all that scary if you take a few precautions. Food poisoning is basically irrelevant if you have your dupes wash their drat hands.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Sage Grimm posted:

This is what I said last page. If you mine a bunch of slime and just let it sit there it fills the polluted air with germs. There's a video which I can no longer find that showed it nicely.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Ratzap posted:

This is what I said last page. If you mine a bunch of slime and just let it sit there it fills the polluted air with germs. There's a video which I can no longer find that showed it nicely.

The latest update introduced some buggy behavior around germs though. I've had pockets of normal-pressure PO2 with over a billion germs per tile in them, and while they were dying off, it was only 3% due to overpopulation.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

insta posted:

The latest update introduced some buggy behavior around germs though. I've had pockets of normal-pressure PO2 with over a billion germs per tile in them, and while they were dying off, it was only 3% due to overpopulation.

More bugs? Say it ain't so. I found a fun one recently in sandbox mode. If I use fill with O2 on my base area, one or both of the east/west airlocks melted by the sudden introduction of ~800kg of 900 degree C copper. Happened a few times so it's reproducable.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

For those of you sending or are about to send rockets: there is a bug whereby dupes lose stats when they come back from a mission. So I would wait until the next patch to really get your space exploration on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

double nine posted:

This is why when i start mining slime, I will first mine out a pocket with chlorine in it, then put in lockers and restrict all slime to only go into that specific locker. The chlorine obliterates slimelung, so it's nice and germ free when they want to fertilize my mushroom farm.

I wasn't certain if i could also do the same trick with food. But maybe I'll try that next time instead of burning power on a refrigerator.