Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Been too paranoid to take a chance on their refurbs, but I’ve had good luck with their "like new" condition open box stuff. If you can go in store you can see the stuff for yourself and look up the serial to see when they were first bought/when the warranty started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Yeah it is weird, but there are like fifty bajillion good calculator apps out there at different price points (from free to expensive) and use case/complexity types. There’s paper-like ones and big simple ones for old people and scientific ones and graphing ones that can beat out those overpriced TIs and algebra specific ones and also Wolfram Alpha.

Also, wait until Sept/Oct when the iPad Pros are expected to get a big update. If you don’t end up caring about the new design/features you’ll be able to snag the current model at a discount.

Also also, try out the 12.9 Pro in person and compare it to the 10” one, and 9.7” regular iPad for good measure if you’re planning on getting one with a data plan that you intend to truck around to, like, the park and poo poo (IDK). They all support the Apple Pencil now if that was ever a factor, although the non-Pro model doesn’t have a snazzy super-high refresh display and has, of course, the smallest screen of the three. I personally wouldn’t get one of the 12.9” ones with a mobile plan because I find that size a bit unwieldy for that kind of data usage but your needs and preferences may be quite different. From second hand experience and comments in this thread, people often underestimate just how large in the hand the biggest iPad is when compared to “standard tablet size” so it’s worth picking up and comparing to the other sizes- though that big screen is definitely glorious.

Thanks! I'm wanting the giant one mostly because I'm a turbo nerd and I want a big screen for gaming PDFs and comics (and Civ VI.) I played with one of the current 12.9 Pros at micro center for a bit and was honestly blown away by the screen.

I'll definitely wait for the sep/Oct announcement though. Thanks for the heads up on that.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Edit: whoops, wrong thread!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Has anyone had issues with responsiveness to touch on their iPad Pro (12.9/first model)? For a good while now it feels like every now and then the majority of the screen will simply not recognize every touch. Then after a couple of seconds it’ll pick up on touch then work again for a bit but now it’s getting worse. I straight up can’t type using the on-screen keyboard because of how unreliable it is. My Apple Pencil is still recognized so the screen is obviously picking up something but it really feels like something is off and I can’t figure out if its hardware or software.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Has anyone had issues with responsiveness to touch on their iPad Pro (12.9/first model)? For a good while now it feels like every now and then the majority of the screen will simply not recognize every touch. Then after a couple of seconds it’ll pick up on touch then work again for a bit but now it’s getting worse. I straight up can’t type using the on-screen keyboard because of how unreliable it is. My Apple Pencil is still recognized so the screen is obviously picking up something but it really feels like something is off and I can’t figure out if its hardware or software.

You on the beta?

Because that's been happening to me a lot (2nd gen/12 inch). But I'm on the beta. Reboots fix it.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
That’s been happening to me too, on the latest iPad Pro 12.9 on iOS 11. Very annoying. Usually fixed by turning the screen off and back on

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Yeah it is weird, but there are like fifty bajillion good calculator apps out there at different price points (from free to expensive) and use case/complexity types. There’s paper-like ones and big simple ones for old people and scientific ones and graphing ones that can beat out those overpriced TIs and algebra specific ones and also Wolfram Alpha.

Also, wait until Sept/Oct when the iPad Pros are expected to get a big update. If you don’t end up caring about the new design/features you’ll be able to snag the current model at a discount.

Also also, try out the 12.9 Pro in person and compare it to the 10” one, and 9.7” regular iPad for good measure if you’re planning on getting one with a data plan that you intend to truck around to, like, the park and poo poo (IDK). They all support the Apple Pencil now if that was ever a factor, although the non-Pro model doesn’t have a snazzy super-high refresh display and has, of course, the smallest screen of the three. I personally wouldn’t get one of the 12.9” ones with a mobile plan because I find that size a bit unwieldy for that kind of data usage but your needs and preferences may be quite different. From second hand experience and comments in this thread, people often underestimate just how large in the hand the biggest iPad is when compared to “standard tablet size” so it’s worth picking up and comparing to the other sizes- though that big screen is definitely glorious.

I appreciate the larger screen of the Pro and if it wasn't for the massive price deferential I would have gotten the 10" but it is worth noting that multitasking kind of really sucks on iPads at least in my experience and that is a lot of what I would want a larger screen for given the cost and portability concerns. Of course I have a desktop, a laptop and an LTE iPad with a keyboard on my desk pretty much daily so I may not be the best judge on picking a single productive device.

On the same note I do a lot of maths things at work all day and when I started my current job the first thing I asked the office supply ordering person for was an actual for real desktop calculator and I do not regret the decision even as a 30 something completely computer literate professional. Sure, I use Excel all day but when your desk is covered in paperwork and you have around 30 windows open on your desktop just grabbing a good desktop calculator makes things so much easier than another bloated tech device or another desktop window.

Of course I work in a "paperless office" which means I generally spend a lot of time printing out poo poo, annotating it so I can decode and understand the paperless nightmare and then throwing it right in the shredder because "Paperless!" so maybe it's just because I have a horrible workflow forced on me.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Every year around tax time I lust after a big desktop calculator with a little tape roll.

I only need it for all of 1 hour every April, but man I still want it.

I just bought the Calzy calculator app, mainly because it has a super black mode for iPhone X, but it’ll also replace the Digits iPad app I used for 6 years until it didn’t get upgraded for 64 bits.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Anyone else on the latest Public Beta having trouble with TouchID on an iPad Pro? Not sure whether I'm having a software fault or if the TouchID hardware itself is playing up (the iPad was water damaged in the past so that has me worried)

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Question Mark Mound posted:

Anyone else on the latest Public Beta having trouble with TouchID on an iPad Pro? Not sure whether I'm having a software fault or if the TouchID hardware itself is playing up (the iPad was water damaged in the past so that has me worried)

I’m not on the beta but my 10.5 has been acting strangely. While charging, Touch ID refuses to work (the home button still works) and the screen responds erratically to touch input.

Take it off charge and as if by magic it works flawlessly, again.

Wondering if it’s got anything to do with the Amazon Basics cable and third-party charger.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Hello Spaceman posted:

I’m not on the beta but my 10.5 has been acting strangely. While charging, Touch ID refuses to work (the home button still works) and the screen responds erratically to touch input.

Wondering if it’s got anything to do with the Amazon Basics cable and third-party charger.
Huh, took it off charge and hey presto, TouchID is working again. I'm using an official Apple cable plugged into an iMac to charge it

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Just got an ipad and it's pretty sweet to play games on the patio with!

Is there a way to disable the dock appearing when you swipe up from the bottom? One of the games I play has me tapping down there a lot and it keeps screwing things up. Also, is there a way to do the landscape side by side thing with apps that are normally full screen portrait?

Sorry for the dumb questions, but google is just getting me a bunch of "ultimate guide to" that just regurgitate the apple site and don't actually answer my questions.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

SaturdayKnight posted:

I used to work for Best Buy and for gods sake, never buy anything refurbished from them. So many apple products specifically had third party screens with trash color reproduction or weird WiFi issues and couldn’t hold a connection.

Was this in the iPad 2/3/4 era? Those particular iPads, especially the 2, have a WiFi antenna that's in a spot where it tears super easily when you're replacing the screen. The one on the 2 is usually taped to the back of the glass, so that one really likes to come up and tear itself off when you're opening it up. The cellular antennas were the worst though, they were pretty much always taped to the glass up until the Air.

The colors... yeah, those still usually suck. Most non-Pro iPad screen replacements are Ok these days, and older iPhones, but the iPhone 7 and up are noticeably different on replacement screens. And we don't even touch the X - the only screens with a price below Apple's out of warranty cost uses an LCD instead of an OLED.

I can't speak for Best Buy since I don't work for them, but I work in a repair shop and see this stuff all the time. I really wish Apple would sell parts, but my understanding is even their authorized companies like Asurion can't get real screens. Whereas finding OEM Samsung, Motorola, LG, etc is pretty easy, but also rarely worth it.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
I just picked up a new A1954 for work and plan on using it primarily for tabling events where we’d be having folks fill out registration forms, loop videos/photo slideshows, and process some credit card charges. I’m looking to get a case, stand, and BT keyboard, or combination of all three. The links in the OP are pretty dated and searching Amazon/eBay just floods me with a wave of cheap Chinese third party items. Are there any are recommendations for something that would help protect device for storage, transportation, and would allow for decent access for the tabling needs?

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

hadji murad posted:

Mom’s ipad is getting long in the tooth. How are refurbished units these days? Can get a cheap one from Best Buy.ca.

Know this was a little while back but you might look at the low end iPads now. They’re at a nice price point that would probably be a good fit. Though I’m not sure how much they are in Canada Bucks.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

If you’re patient, wait to see if the new Pros are out. Prices on used may be better.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Hello Spaceman posted:

This happened to me when plugged into a tour bus charger that wasn't grounded properly I think. Try plugging it into a computer or into a different outlet

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Dick Nipples posted:

Know this was a little while back but you might look at the low end iPads now. They’re at a nice price point that would probably be a good fit. Though I’m not sure how much they are in Canada Bucks.

Thanks! We ended up finding a new one 50 dollars off at Walmart. It was certainly good enough for her to use Facetime and Tri Peaks on.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
For those wondering, you cannot charge an Apple Pencil with an Air Pods case and it also looks stupid.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I know that when I have a BT keyboard connected to my iPad, it hides the on-screen keyboard. I also know that I can bring up the on-screen keyboard by pressing the eject button on the BT keyboard.

But is there any way to show the on-screen keyboard while a BT keyboard is connected without pressing any button on the BT keyboard?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

What’s the use case here?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I'd imagine it's easier to bring up emojis and other non-standard keyboards

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
The BT keyboard is connected to the iPad, but not physically connected (like a keyboard case). Sometimes I carry my iPad away from my desk and need to type something quick into a search bar or something, only to discover I need to walk back to my desk to hit the eject button to bring up the keyboard.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

disconnect bluetooth devices with control center? then re-enable it when you return to your desk

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Last Chance posted:

disconnect bluetooth devices with control center? then re-enable it when you return to your desk

That’s the easiest way to do it, honestly.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.
Costco is selling iPad Pro 10.5" 256GB's for $120 off through 9/30.

In case any of you goons have your eye on one of those. Pretty good price given it's still top of the line as far as specs go. I'm guessing the next iPad release is Spring of 2019?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
That’d be the case if there’s no event in October.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Dick Nipples posted:

In case any of you goons have your eye on one of those. Pretty good price given it's still top of the line as far as specs go. I'm guessing the next iPad release is Spring of 2019?

October 2018 if I had to guess. We haven’t gotten an iMac update this year yet either.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Dick Nipples posted:

So that price is what, $679? I can't see the price online without renewing my membership, and I don't want to right now.

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
$649

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Swapped out my second iPad Pro under warranty for defective screen. Warranty is up next week so hopefully this is the last time!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Hey YouTube in Safari sucks less on iOS 12!

I guess Apple tweaked how full screen video was done since it goes to an actual full screen view now, but with the web players' controls still in control. The big difference is that with the new full screen mode you can put it into a picture in picture window like any other video, so you can leave the YouTube tab in the background or switch to another app entirely.

I assume this works with other web players that fake a full screen view too, just tested it out with Kickstarter's and that works the same way. Course I assume Google/YouTube will try to break this functionality eventually but hey it works for now.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

It’s really tripping me out how iOS 12 switched what the “five finger grab” and “one finger swipe up from bottom” do. I keep triggering one when I meant to do the other.

Except for sometimes, when they still do their old behavior? I played around with it for an afternoon and still haven’t quite figured out the rhyme or reason to it.

Edit: the “four finger swipe up” gesture is also changed, which is kind of weird since the old behavior is analogous to a similar Mac gesture.

tankadillo fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Sep 18, 2018

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

tankadillo posted:

It’s really tripping me out how iOS 12 switched what the “five finger grab” and “one finger swipe up from bottom” do. I keep triggering one when I meant to do the other.

Except for sometimes, when they still do their old behavior? I played around with it for an afternoon and still haven’t quite figured out the rhyme or reason to it.

Edit: the “four finger swipe up” gesture is also changed, which is kind of weird since the old behavior is analogous to a similar Mac gesture.
The one finger swipe brings up the dock, goes to the app switcher, or closes the app entirely depending on how you do it. Seems like if you’re moving while releasing your finger it’ll close the app, while if you pause (or just slow down?) even if just barely before releasing it’ll just do dock or app switcher depending how far you swipe. A short side hook or diagonal swipe will do a quick switch to the next app over too.

The 4-5 finger gestures seem to work similarly (minus the dock) but more finicky cause all the fingers involved I guess.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

japtor posted:

The one finger swipe brings up the dock, goes to the app switcher, or closes the app entirely depending on how you do it. Seems like if you’re moving while releasing your finger it’ll close the app, while if you pause (or just slow down?) even if just barely before releasing it’ll just do dock or app switcher depending how far you swipe. A short side hook or diagonal swipe will do a quick switch to the next app over too.

The 4-5 finger gestures seem to work similarly (minus the dock) but more finicky cause all the fingers involved I guess.

You can kind of get used to it after a while, but it's still really weird. This seems like it would be terrible for anyone with poor hand dexterity, or someone who's learning how to use iOS by rote. (Although I guess you can just fall back to using the home button for everything.)

I can't wait to explain these gestures to an older relative: "See, swiping up closes the app. No, if you go too slowly then it just brings up the dock. No, don't stop in the middle, that brings up the app switcher. No, if you move your finger to the right while you swipe up then that just switches to the previous app. Look, just push the home button, okay?"

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

why did they remove control center from the app switcher? feels dumb as hell

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Apple: We don't know what we're doing with iPad multitasking for several years running.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

sudo rm -rf posted:

why did they remove control center from the app switcher? feels dumb as hell

Swiping down from the top right is the control center now. I had to google it. That’s intuitive now, I guess.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
So the next IPad isn’t going to have a home button then? I’m assuming that’s what all the swipe changes are coming from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Rolo posted:

So the next IPad isn’t going to have a home button then? I’m assuming that’s what all the swipe changes are coming from.

Yeah that is safe to assume.

I can't wait to see what the new Big pro looks like.