Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

duckmaster posted:

This idea that it's all about the referee just doesn't seem to tally (specifically for 'soccer').

In the English Premier League last year 80 penalties were awarded over the course of 380 games. That's a max of 21% of games having a penalty kick awarded, although it'll actually be lower than that as presumably some games had 2+ penalties awarded. There's obviously free kicks, yellow/red cards and even offside decisions as well, but even if you worked out how many incorrect decisions led to a goal being either scored or disallowed I suspect the percentage of games in which this happened would be negligible.

Professional footballers, when playing a home game in the afternoon, generally follow a routine of getting up in the morning, having a light breakfast, a light workout and a high-carb lunch. Between them they'll be discussing tactics with the manager and other coaches - at most clubs this'll be done in a purpose-built conference room of some sort, and these days will include a powerpoint presentation complete with pictures of opposing players and so forth. Any visits to pysiotherapists, doctors, sports scientists etc will be done at this time as well, and players will try on their kit long before the game so the kit staff can sort out problems well in advance of the game starting. They'll be shielded from the media; many clubs specifically instruct their non-playing staff not to even bring in a newspaper incase a player sees something in it that will affect his games. They'll go out properly warmed up and with strategy and tactics fresh in their heads because they'll have been going over it literally minutes before.

Contrast this with footballers who have to travel to an away game. They'll also have a light breakfast and workout, before sitting on a coach for several hours. There may or may not be a tactical discussion at this point, but even if there is it'll consist of bits of paper being passed around, and little chance for proper discussion. On arrival at the club they'll be taken to the away dressing room, which is usually of sub-standard quality to the home dressing room (intentionally). Then they've got to wolf down some food before a pre-match warm up on whichever part of the pitch the groundskeeping staff aren't coincidentally having to do some work on at that very moment.

There's all sorts of other things the home side can do as well; in Scotland, Celtic boss Brendan Rodgers complained last season that Hearts were letting the grass grow too long on their pitch which stopped them being able to pass the ball as well. In August Hearts beat Celtic 1-0 at home, and shortly after posted this on Twitter.

Rant over. Sorry I don't have a graph :(

Oh, sure, but at the same time, Fergie Time is still A Thing and the big teams do have a statistical advantage in home matches when it comes to injury time awarded.

TinTower has a new favorite as of 15:52 on Sep 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
what im getting from that is that chelsea hates its own team

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

TinTower posted:

Oh, sure, but at the same time, Fergie Time is still A Thing and the big teams do have a statistical advantage in home matches when it comes to injury time awarded.

An interesting chart but open to interpretation. Those are all major clubs and if they're losing I'd expect the opposing side (who are more likely than not to be the underdog side) to employ time wasting tactics, mostly a 'lack of enthusiasm' in returning the ball into open play at throw ins and goal kicks. A good referee will quite rightly try to add this wasted time onto play at the end of the half.

Whoever made that chart has made it with the intention of proving that Fergie Time is A Thing. This downloadable spreadsheet shows that for 2010/11 and 2011/12 Manchester United were 14th and 17th respectively in total added time and when looking at goals scored in the 90th+ minute they were 19th out of 44 Premier League teams by percentage of goals scored since 1992. That's pretty middle of the road.

That sheet doesn't show time added when winning/losing though. For your chart to be more interesting I'd like it to show the stats for all the teams in that season, not just the Big Six.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
What's depressing is that the BJP could just say "since we came to power, less people are making GBS threads outside" and it'd get swing voters to them pretty well. Even if the BJP-led local governments have done poo poo all.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

TinTower posted:

What's depressing is that the BJP could just say "since we came to power, less people are making GBS threads outside" and it'd get swing voters to them pretty well. Even if the BJP-led local governments have done poo poo all.

But at least it was inside.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
In the category of 'funny charts':

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
didnt know it divided an even amount of times like that. cool!

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

TinTower posted:

Colour me interested too.

Also, from the MLB thread by way of the NBA and NFL threads:

That atmospheric pressure cheat code. :wow:
I'm surprised that Home Ice is not as important as Home Court. Especially when some arenas are Home Ice and Home Court, and have equally loud fans. Is it because the barriers around the ice hockey rink drown out the noise for the players?

And now that I look at it again, the Colorado Avalanche are not a the top of the NHL, and they play in the same arena as the Denver Nuggets of the NBA. Even taking into account Colorado teams being better playing at high elevation they still don't have the home ice advantage of Los Angeles and Anaheim (which is basically Los Angeles).

CannonFodder has a new favorite as of 17:16 on Sep 18, 2018

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

NHL refs hate the fans and like it when they are mad, which helps counteract the noise factor somewhat.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

I'm surprised at the low variance in Baseball, given the lack of a fixed field size/back wall geometry, but it's a weird sport that I'm used to not making intuitive sense

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Suspicious Dish posted:

didnt know it divided an even amount of times like that. cool!

It does, but the even number is nine, not ten.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

:psyduck:

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

Peanut Butler posted:

I'm surprised at the low variance in Baseball, given the lack of a fixed field size/back wall geometry, but it's a weird sport that I'm used to not making intuitive sense

It’s the way higher sample size

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

What, uh ... what's the x-axis?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/swardley/status/1041658298427211778

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m CDC facility.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
r=0.3.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

CannonFodder posted:

I'm surprised that Home Ice is not as important as Home Court. Especially when some arenas are Home Ice and Home Court, and have equally loud fans. Is it because the barriers around the ice hockey rink drown out the noise for the players?

And now that I look at it again, the Colorado Avalanche are not a the top of the NHL, and they play in the same arena as the Denver Nuggets of the NBA. Even taking into account Colorado teams being better playing at high elevation they still don't have the home ice advantage of Los Angeles and Anaheim (which is basically Los Angeles).

First point: hockey is a much lower scoring sport than basketball, so winning % varies less between the best and worst teams.

Second point: hockey players rotate on and off the ice frequently, which would mitigate the effect of altitude somewhat.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Someone just made a mind map and threw on two axes as an afterthought, right?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

CannonFodder posted:

One aspect might be that the luck plays a much bigger role in hockey so the numbers are more likely to slip towards 0.500 (despite the rule that gives the home team the last change during the stoppages, which can be a pretty major systematic advantage).

A scientific chart:

https://www.wired.com/2012/11/luck-and-skill-untangled-qa-with-michael-mauboussin/

Kennel has a new favorite as of 08:59 on Sep 19, 2018

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

What about the very important concentrated power of will axis

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Platystemon posted:

It does, but the even number is nine, not ten.

But nine isn't an even number :v:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kennel posted:

One aspect might be that the luck plays a much bigger role in hockey so the numbers are more likely to slip towards 0.500 (despite the rule that gives the home team the last change during the stoppages, which can be a pretty major systematic advantage).

A scientific chart:

https://www.wired.com/2012/11/luck-and-skill-untangled-qa-with-michael-mauboussin/

I like that this chart implies that somehow slot machines are slightly less luck-based than roulette.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I like that this chart implies that somehow slot machines are slightly less luck-based than roulette.
I believe a lot of modern slot machines have stuff you can manipulate beyond just "Pull lever, get result" these days, while roulette is still completely out of the player's hands unless they're cheating somehow.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Some slots allow you to get a tiny extra bonus via skill, e.g., a minigame that lets you collect coins worth 1 penny each as you swim through a cave... and then find a treasure chest with 400 more, so you get between 0-20 from skill and the lion's share from a rng. They're not common though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZtQ3Z07UlM&t=170s
You can also affect your payout by picking games that have a statistically high amount on the progressive jackpot, but you'd really need to know the underlying math and settings to get the most out of it.
Keep an eye out for "Must hit by" progressives, they can add somewhere between 0.5 and 1% of your bet to the progressive, and have a chance of hitting equal to increment size/(Max-Current Amount) So if it's at $400 must hit by $500, and it goes up by 1 cent per spin, you have a 1 in 10,000 chance per spin. If it's at $490, you have an 1 in 1000 chance on your next spin, and at $499, you have a 1 in 100 chance.

Don't play slots

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Yeah I didn't say you could affect things a lot. But "at all" puts it ahead of roulette.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zereth posted:

I believe a lot of modern slot machines have stuff you can manipulate beyond just "Pull lever, get result" these days, while roulette is still completely out of the player's hands unless they're cheating somehow.

I know there's a law in Japan that requires slot machines to have a slight skill component, usually in the form of "press button to manually stop the reel" but it's heavily loopholed (the timing between when the button is pressed and when the reel actually stops does not need to be consistent). So I guess in a sense that's a skill thing but I'm pretty sure most slot machines still follow the classic model.

Plus regardless of how skill-based a slot machine design seems to be, internally they ALL have a counter that determines whether or not the current play will actually be allowed to win. If you're on a "non-winning" game, then it will fudge your results to be JUST off no matter how well you actually perform. This is also true of a lot of those bar/arcade games you see where the top prize is like a new iPhone or something. There's a good video that demonstrates this here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXBfwgwT1nQ where he built a machine that would literally play perfectly and it would still often lose.

Oh, also bear in mind that the internal "allowed to win" value only actually prevents you from winning on perfect play. It doesn't do anything to force a win on a game that IS decided to allow you to win. So if you gently caress up on a game you would have been allowed to win, you still lose.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Today I learned that the Rupee symbol would make a pretty good Endless Space 2 faction icon.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Angepain posted:

What about the very important concentrated power of will axis

:hmmyes:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

What is it with India and putting photos of random people in images that are otherwise supposed to look official?

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Carbon dioxide posted:

What is it with India and putting photos of random people in images that are otherwise supposed to look official?
BJP is the party of the guy in the picture, the Prime Minister of India.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1sxc3V0lzQ&t=1454s

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Carbon dioxide posted:

:laffo::laffo:

:patriot:

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Carbon dioxide posted:

Absolutely brutal self own

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Carbon dioxide posted:

Duuuuude

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Seriously though, go look at websites of Indian companies, they put pictures of people in the weirdest places.

And if Fox News fakes some graph, they don't put a picture of Trump on top of it.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
dude you're not gonna recover from this one. Just ignore it until it goes away or people forget about it.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

dude you're not gonna recover from this one. Just ignore it until it goes away or people forget about it.

Maybe not, but I still want an answer to my question, why do they put photos of people everywhere in places where other cultures don't?

I think that's a legit interesting question, it's prob due to some deep cultural difference I don't know about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Carbon dioxide posted:

Maybe not, but I still want an answer to my question, why do they put photos of people everywhere in places where other cultures don't?

I think that's a legit interesting question, it's prob due to some deep cultural difference I don't know about.

It's rooted in a cultural tidbit unique to India - politics.