Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

Jay Cutler demonstrated this attitude incredibly well

And then he signed with the Dolphins!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna do so much goddamn nothing when I retire, I'm going to set some kind of record for most nothing done.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
I'm probably gonna work until I die at the seasoned age of 55

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
A lot of this is Protestant work ethic guilt poo poo.

A family friend was an accountant and then retired. He now washes dishes in a restaurant because he’s “gotta be doing something.”

I’m struggling with this myself. It’s part of why I am having such a hard time just being, even though it’s the healthiest thing for me realistically.

It’s that American internal voice screaming that you are nothing if you are not working.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
My buddy is clerking for a judge and I think he's walking into a case where a Boarder Patrol agent decided to go No Country for Old Men on a bunch of sex workers.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Yeah I don't want to work, but I'll have to because feature creep.

Lote your friend is about to see some poo poo.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Lote posted:

My buddy is clerking for a judge and I think he's walking into a case where a Boarder Patrol agent decided to go No Country for Old Men on a bunch of sex workers.

The case that's been all over the news or another one?

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
He starts tomorrow.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Lote posted:

The clerks have 69% of the power if they decide to exercise the full heft of their position so remind him to do the right thing. Or not, hail satan.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Lote posted:

These seems like a weird reference if this is the case you're referring to. Like, in all of pop culture the idea of serial killers preying on sex workers is at least as old as jack the ripper. No Country for Old Men is about an amoral killing machine employed by one criminal organization against another, and has exactly zero sex workers in it, let alone killed.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
I made the reference because it’s set in West Texas and that’s where the serial killer was caught.

Lote fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Sep 16, 2018

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Yeah it seemed like a normal reference to me urethra doctor.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Yeah to me that’s the entire point. I don’t get these people who are like “I wouldn’t have anything to do if I retired.” I mean I get it if you are making boatloads of money still and the job isn’t as annoying because you are more senior or something. But I can’t imagine ever saying to myself when I’m 70, “Yeah I want to put on a suit and go sit in an office all day doing this crap.”

The point is when you're old you can often work part time, on your terms, and get paid way more.

algebra testes posted:

Come do desert law with me

:staredog:

Also yes mate, seriously all the time people do all the degrees, start work and then realise "poo poo I dont wanna do this at all".

Try it, see how much you hate it and give your months notice and move on with your life. There are plenty of aussie law goons that moved on to public service jobs or whatever that are happy. Strangely not so many that are actual lawyers tho there are a few in this thread.

I just got a grad public service job, from a reference after working legal. Public service is pretty great, I think I'd loving hate private practice from the stories I've heard.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Wazzu posted:

The point is when you're old you can often work part time, on your terms, and get paid way more.

I’m saying if I’ve worked the way I am for 40+ years I can’t see having any interest whatsoever working, on any schedule, for any terms, for money I don’t need.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

The defamation complaint against Musk, filed earlier today: https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/4895828-2018-09-17-Complaint-for-Defamation-Stamped.html

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

Vox Nihili posted:

The clerks have 69% of the power if they decide to exercise the full heft of their position so remind him to do the right thing. Or not, hail satan.

I must have missed that part of orientation (because I had no orientation).

What percent of the power is "you need to send me a judge's copy" or "you need to attach this unpublished case"? Because I have that percent.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Loving the parenthetical in paragraph 120

Unamuno
May 31, 2003
Cry me a fuckin' river, Fauntleroy.

EwokEntourage posted:

Loving the parenthetical in paragraph 120

Based on ¶¶ 131 - 132, I offer my future condolences for when this Unsworth guy's lawyers gently caress this up.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Unamuno posted:

Based on ¶¶ 131 - 132, I offer my future condolences for when this Unsworth guy's lawyers gently caress this up.

This is his lawyer:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L._Lin_Wood

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
Do I not understand something or does that complaint contain exactly zero references to legal authority?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Alexeythegreat posted:

Do I not understand something or does that complaint contain exactly zero references to legal authority?

I assume common law is basically derived from dudes from Eton guffawing in a closed room in the first place.

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Sep 18, 2018

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

Alexeythegreat posted:

It cites a few statutes for diversity jurisdiction. In US federal court, you don’t necessarily have to cite a bunch of case law or statutes in your complaint. You just have to plead a plausible cause of action for which relief could be granted (this is the basic version of the text).
The elements of defamation are pretty basic, and it lays out the elements required, ie false statement, reckless disregard for the truth of the matter, damages.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Alexeythegreat posted:

There is no federal statute on defamation. It's a common law tort. It's specifically enshrined in statue at the state level, but this case is not being tried under any state's law. If there were a statute specifically on point, it would have been listed at the beginning. For defamation you must show that a false statement was published or broadcast, that there was material harm suffered, and that the person making the statement acted negligently or with actual malice. There's further caveats if the defamed person is a public figure, in which case actual malice must be shown.

Musk's statements are also defamation per se. This is recognized in all but three states in the USA and in the federal courts. In a situation where the defamation is particularly heinous, ala calling someone a child molester, damages are presumed. In a standard defamation action, damages typically must be shown as a part of the initial pleading (the material harm portion).

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Sep 18, 2018

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Its a brave, new world out there.

Unamuno
May 31, 2003
Cry me a fuckin' river, Fauntleroy.

Oops, I guess I assumed the plaintiff was a public figure and that negligence would be unimportant. Turns out that he may not be a public figure and therefore i am the dumb one. Serves me right for cultivating enough self-confidence to be smug.

Unamuno fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Sep 18, 2018

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
A classmate of mine just got diagnosed with a very serious and potentially terminal disease. Y'all ever see any particularly effective fundraising efforts within the legal community? It seems like there are a lot of obvious directions (attempt to get the university, broader legal community, etc) involved but I was wondering if any of you had seen anything particularly clever?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
In-house small claims update: case was no-show continued. New trial date was today. Plaintiff no-showed again. Dismissed. Still don’t know what the actual incident was supposed to be. $3000 in legal fees. Cool.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord
I got approached by a well known attorney yesterday in Court with a job offer.

It's more money, more trial time, and the dude is really loving good.

That said, how bad will it look on my resume if I've left two jobs in a row after 6 months.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Roger_Mudd posted:

That said, how bad will it look on my resume if I've left two jobs in a row after 6 months.

Depends on if you can eat his firm when he dies.

I got off my rear end and refinanced my student loans.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Roger_Mudd posted:

It won't look great, but if you spend 5-10 years at this place, then the 6 month blip won't register with any future situations, I think.

A) what does your life/professional situation look like in 5 years if you take this job?

b) what does your life/professional situation look like in 5 years if you decline the offer?

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Unamuno posted:

Oops, I guess I assumed the plaintiff was a public figure and that negligence would be unimportant. Turns out that he may not be a public figure and therefore i am the dumb one. Serves me right for cultivating enough self-confidence to be smug.

Is there a lot of caselaw on what qualifies someone as a public figure?

I would have assumed he isn’t and also have been smug for the completely opposite reason, but I really have no idea.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Roger_Mudd posted:

Your resume only matters to the employer after this one and only if you apply for that job. You’re apparently good enough in court to get random unsolicited job offers. In all likelihood, unless this offer is a trap and you’re going to work for Al Pacino, you will never worry about this again.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

blarzgh posted:

A) what does your life/professional situation look like in 5 years if you take this job?

b) what does your life/professional situation look like in 5 years if you decline the offer?

a) Dude says he wants to retire and hand his firm over to someone else (while skimming a few hundred k for maintaining clients). I've heard this song and dance before. I'm not sure he's willing to put something down in writing.

b) Probably at my current firm making the same salary with COLA and discretionary bonuses. Partner track seems to be about 9 years here.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Roger_Mudd posted:

a) Dude says he wants to retire and hand his firm over to someone else (while skimming a few hundred k for maintaining clients).

Lol.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Yeah. He claims to clear just under a million a year though.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Got my letter in today. I'm officially licensed and I can now list my bar number as "pending" on my resume until my official comes in the mail.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Roger_Mudd posted:

a) Dude says he wants to retire and hand his firm over to someone else (while skimming a few hundred k for maintaining clients). I've heard this song and dance before. I'm not sure he's willing to put something down in writing.

Yeah. He claims to clear just under a million a year though.

Sounds fishy, but what do I know. I know for a fact you're a good attorney, but are you sure that his exhaustive search for his replacement led him to conclude you're the right man for the job? How well do you guys know each other? There's no one else at his firm he would rather offer to? Didn't even ask you out for drinks or anything, just walked into Court, plopped the offer on the table and left?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Kawasaki Nun posted:

A classmate of mine just got diagnosed with a very serious and potentially terminal disease. Y'all ever see any particularly effective fundraising efforts within the legal community? It seems like there are a lot of obvious directions (attempt to get the university, broader legal community, etc) involved but I was wondering if any of you had seen anything particularly clever?

Sorry, I've never encountered anything in this vein.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Roger_Mudd posted:

b) Probably at my current firm making the same salary with COLA and discretionary bonuses. Partner track seems to be about 9 years here.

9 years from when you started or did they credit you some experience?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Adar posted:

Is there a lot of caselaw on what qualifies someone as a public figure?

I would have assumed he isn’t and also have been smug for the completely opposite reason, but I really have no idea.

Yes, there's a bunch out there, depending on what state and/or federal. He probably isn't a general public figure, like the president would be, but he maybe/probably is a limited purpose public figure due to his involvement in the cave rescue, being on the news a bunch, getting into it with Elon Musk, etc. Limited purpose public figures still have to show actual malice, but I would guess that a very well know, vocal billionaire tweeting that a (heroic cave rescue) dude is a pedo and then doubling down on it repeatedly would qualify as actual malice, unless Elon has some very very very convincing reason to assume the guy was diddling kids