Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Then ignore him and move on. If he's a gimmick poster who's opinions aren't worth responding to then stop responding to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
Ban everyone.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
I use the ignore feature for a reason. Good natured ribbing is one thing but when it becomes vitriolic whats the point? If I'm a dip poo poo then I'm a dip poo poo move on.

I used to play 40k, I don't currently so I don't get an opinion? I need to pass a test on how I grasp game of man dollies? Its a loving game.

Come next faq I may pick up the game again, a poo poo ton of people go on and off playing through entire editions. My armies are on pause now, I don't think I need persmission to pull them out or talk about the game.

Its a loving game guys. :)

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
Uninformed opinions are generally frowned upon, hth.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The best solution.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I do highly recommend using the ignore feature for posters you find annoying. It’s hard not to click at first but after a day or two the temptation is gone and the thread is a lot more peaceful afterward. The better solution is someone actively modding, but lol

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

Then let me take it as a learning experience. Let me understand more about the game with actual info than telling me to screw off.

NightWonder
Nov 15, 2015

"I Use Psychic To Put Stuff In The Toilet."
I miss when this thread was about 40k. I was learning so much about the game.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

NightWonder posted:

I miss when this thread was about 40k. I was learning so much about the game.

I really appreciated everyone's feedback on AdMech. Stuff like that is great. Now I just need to get past the post-NOVA burnout and paint again.

Pendent posted:

I do highly recommend using the ignore feature for posters you find annoying. It’s hard not to click at first but after a day or two the temptation is gone and the thread is a lot more peaceful afterward. The better solution is someone actively modding, but lol

Speaking as a fake mod for a fake subforum for a fake game I haven't seen anything actionable.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

For_Great_Justice posted:

Then let me take it as a learning experience. Let me understand more about the game with actual info than telling me to screw off.

If you want to know more about the game, then ask questions. Or better yet go play, post a battle report showing off your Space Barbies, then talk about what worked and what didn't.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Two Beans posted:

Uninformed opinions are generally frowned upon, hth.

Uh oh :ohdear:

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The best solution.

That, or posting more robbits

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

Ok I enjoy night lords and I'd like to make that work. Pre faq I generally ran:

1 jump lord with relic claws
1 jump sorcerer with staff

10 raptors with 1 power sword, plasma pistol, 2 melta guns, 1 banner of nurgle

5 warp talons now closer to ten to jump in with the HQs

2x 10 chaos marine with 2x plasma gun, 1 combi plasma and sword on the champion 2x rhinos to keep them safe

30 cultists

2x full las predators

2 hel drake.

Its heavy in combat but I was trying to utilise the lead modifier for Night lords. My usual opppnents were eldar that blew me off th3 field dark reapers combo'ed with pyschic boosts, t'au gunline, marine gun line.

Getting into combat was 50/50 with deep strikes, easier when warptime let me move an charge the talons.

The preds were there for anti armor, the hel drakes usually handled air problems an tied up things turn 1.

Usual take away was chaos marines and raptors got out shot and certainly did not hold our long, the cultists drowned things in dice. Lord was a good murder machine but lacked staying power but a terminator lord was too slow, would not fit the theme.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

2x 10 chaos marine with 2x plasma gun, 1 combi plasma and sword on the champion 2x rhinos to keep them safe

30 cultists

2x full las predators

2 hel drake.

Its heavy in combat but I was trying to utilise the lead modifier for Night lords. My usual opppnents were eldar that blew me off th3 field dark reapers combo'ed with pyschic boosts, t'au gunline, marine gun line.

Getting into combat was 50/50 with deep strikes, easier when warptime let me move an charge the talons.

The preds were there for anti armor, the hel drakes usually handled air problems an tied up things turn 1.

Usual take away was chaos marines and raptors got out shot and certainly did not hold our long, the cultists drowned things in dice. Lord was a good murder machine but lacked staying power but a terminator lord was too slow, would not fit the theme.

I am not sure what advice is going to get around Space Marines being bad, and Dark Reapers being a hard counter to them on top of that. Wait till CA 2018 and cross your fingers?

Wizard
Aug 3, 2014

Paul Blart: Mall Blart

30 cultists

2x full las predators

2 hel drake.

If you want to maximise the night lords debuff maybe you can try turning the raptors into 2 5 man squads. Also curious what mark does your sorcerer have? If gunlines are an issue Miasma of pestilence does wonders, it will do jack poo poo against reapers but thats really the only situation.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

Usually I leaned towards nurgle for miasma, that coupled with the strat for-1 to hit helped the talons and an the hq survive with -2 to ilhit, same with heldrakes if they tried to focus one out. Making them 5 mans in a test game or two the unit usually folded to shooting either way, splitting them didn't do anything.

Marines are bad but I got into chaos to pkay them, which is why I'm a bit salty an just shelved them. I found much mire sucess with black legion with Abbadon, terminators with plasma marked to slaanesh and prescience from a lord. I had much more sucess centered on shooting than hitting dudes but I like combat more so I dabbled into AoS, I enjoyed orks thete, I still have to finish building stuff.

I touched into 40k orks in speed freaks but the winng strat there is apparently beat the clock with bodies an most hams would rather play a 8 hour game to win than play under a clock or limitation so even pick up games are shoot bodies till someone gets bored. I found it to be an unfun slog so I just stopped altogether.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Give your raptors plasma instead of melta. Melta is really a 7th Ed play and you're more likely to take out 2-3 models with plasma pre-charge than you are to kill a vehicle with melta. Also give your raptors the MoK so they can take an icon to reroll charges and fight twice if you need.

Against Tau, your raptor strat has to change; you can't use a transport to soak OW fire first, so you either have to use cover to make a no-LoS charge or assault from the flank, finding somewhere to get in where you'll have fewer shots coming your way. If you fire in first with plasma and pistols and lob a frag grenade, you should be able to take out at least 3-4 warriors pre-charge.

E: If you're bringing a heldrake, you could use that to soak OW fire I guess

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Sep 18, 2018

NightWonder
Nov 15, 2015

"I Use Psychic To Put Stuff In The Toilet."

Usually I leaned towards nurgle for miasma, that coupled with the strat for-1 to hit helped the talons and an the hq survive with -2 to ilhit, same with heldrakes if they tried to focus one out. Making them 5 mans in a test game or two the unit usually folded to shooting either way, splitting them didn't do anything.

Marines are bad but I got into chaos to pkay them, which is why I'm a bit salty an just shelved them. I found much mire sucess with black legion with Abbadon, terminators with plasma marked to slaanesh and prescience from a lord. I had much more sucess centered on shooting than hitting dudes but I like combat more so I dabbled into AoS, I enjoyed orks thete, I still have to finish building stuff.

Have you thought about using deamon allies? In my Emperor's Children I've been running 3 large units of Deamonettes with 2 heralds. With the Slaanesh Loci I'm able to get those deamons in my opponent's frontline by turn 1 with decent to good rolls on advancing. By the time my opponents finish with those deamons I have a few Noise Marines and a Prince to clean up what's left.

Wizard
Aug 3, 2014

I touched into 40k orks in speed freaks but the winng strat there is apparently beat the clock with bodies an most hams would rather play a 8 hour game to win than play under a clock or limitation so even pick up games are shoot bodies till someone gets bored. I found it to be an unfun slog so I just stopped altogether.

I can understand the frustration of wanting to use some chaos boys in a chaos list. Hopefully they can address them soon because from my experince this year, unless theyre cult troops they'll usually disappoint you. That said have you tried some berserkers even in a non-world eater list i find them to hit like trucks.

As for the orks i feel this is kinda a mixed problem. From sounds of it you do a lot of casual play so i dont see somebody playing for time. In a tourney setting, sure there's probably some assholes who build a strategy around that but i haven't met any so far thankfully. I have met plently of assholes at tourneys but ive met way more cool people who laugh and finish a tourney with a nice pint. I don't know what you do for speed freaks but speed freaks do enjoy lots of boys in trucks to shield them before they get stuck in.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

TheChirurgeon posted:

Give your raptors plasma instead of melta. Melta is really a 7th Ed play and you're more likely to take out 2-3 models with plasma pre-charge than you are to kill a vehicle with melta. Also give your raptors the MoK so they can take an icon to rerolls charges and fight twice if you need.

Against Tau, your raptor strat has to change; you can't use a transport to soak OW fire first, so you either have to use cover to make a no-LoS charge or assault from the flank, finding somewhere to get in where you'll have fewer shots coming your way. If you fire in first with plasma and pistols and lob a frag grenade, you should be able to take out at least 3-4 warriors pre-charge.

This is helpful. I did not even know you could a no-los charge.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

Wizard posted:

I can understand the frustration of wanting to use some chaos boys in a chaos list. Hopefully they can address them soon because from my experince this year, unless theyre cult troops they'll usually disappoint you. That said have you tried some berserkers even in a non-world eater list i find them to hit like trucks.

As for the orks i feel this is kinda a mixed problem. From sounds of it you do a lot of casual play so i dont see somebody playing for time. In a tourney setting, sure there's probably some assholes who build a strategy around that but i haven't met any so far thankfully. I have met plently of assholes at tourneys but ive met way more cool people who laugh and finish a tourney with a nice pint. I don't know what you do for speed freaks but speed freaks do enjoy lots of boys in trucks to shield them before they get stuck in.

I went boss on bike, mech on bike with aura invul, 9 bikers, 1 pain boy on bike.

Usually 19 boyz in a battle wagon with a pole nob for +1 to hit and a deff rolla on the wagons, i had 2x wagons with the same set of boyz in them.

10 lootas was my go to for armor but I saw something about a battle wagon loaded with rokkets and 15 tank hunters that sounded more appealing.

I did half an half lgs touraments and casual, rarely did I have issues with casual play minus one eldar player, touraments I expect it people cone to win, usually that was a non issue minus one or two people. I don't expect fluff armies to place high but even in casual chaos marines barely do what cultists do, more dice is just better in my eyes than quality.

I held off deamons just honestly I don't want them.

Wizard
Aug 3, 2014

I went boss on bike, mech on bike with aura invul, 9 bikers, 1 pain boy on bike.

Usually 19 boyz in a battle wagon with a pole nob for +1 to hit and a deff rolla on the wagons, i had 2x wagons with the same set of boyz in them.

10 lootas was my go to for armor but I saw something about a battle wagon loaded with rokkets and 15 tank hunters that sounded more appealing.

I did half an half lgs touraments and casual, rarely did I have issues with casual play minus one eldar player, touraments I expect it people cone to win, usually that was a non issue minus one or two people. I don't expect fluff armies to place high but even in casual chaos marines barely do what cultists do, more dice is just better in my eyes than quality.

I held off deamons just honestly I don't want them.

Trust me, nobody will disagree with you about cultist being better than regular chaos marines. Like i said outside of cult troops most marines are taken just to carry special weapons. I would ask why you have no interest in running some daemons along? Most are great cheap bodies to hurl at the foe while you prep for a decisive strike.

As for the orks i havent played them but i have played against them a lot. Lots of boys really is the key, one of my best friends runs speed freaks. Usually he has some boys in trukks a unit or two on foot (Da jump helps them get around) and usually use small squads of bikers as distractions and small unit hunters. I think the only unit i never seen him run is burna boys but in his speed freaks hes run just about everything at one point or another

Wizard fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Sep 18, 2018

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

So does anyone know of any third party female elf heads? I won a new on sprue Eldar Farseer on auction this weekend and I'm looking to do a headswap on it. So far my only option seems to be Dark Eldar ones so I've been looking around for alternatives a bit.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Cooked Auto posted:

So does anyone know of any third party female elf heads? I won a new on sprue Eldar Farseer on auction this weekend and I'm looking to do a headswap on it. So far my only option seems to be Dark Eldar ones so I've been looking around for alternatives a bit.

Not third party but fantasy range has some good options. The glade guard, wildwood rangers and sisters of the watch all have good female heads.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

bonds0097 posted:

Not third party but fantasy range has some good options. The glade guard, wildwood rangers and sisters of the watch all have good female heads.

Oh yeah, I do have a bunch of the Glade Guard ones so I might try them but always found the sculpt for those kinda old and lacking. Didn't even think to look through what I have with the Wildwood Ranger as all the heads just kinda registered as unisex for me, so good call on that.
I do have a bunch of Sisters of Avellorn heads as well that I might try.

Otherwise I might just grab the Dark Eldar Succubus head I found at a store just for the sweeping hair.

SleazyBakeOven
Oct 4, 2011

Please, talk to me about Eberron! And by Eberron I mean Warforged. Really I just wanna talk about the Warforged.
Hi all!

So I haven't played since 6th Edition, and am thinking about bringing my Tau out to play again. How do they stack up against the competition in 8th Edition? Should I not even bother and just start a new army?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

SleazyBakeOven posted:

Hi all!

So I haven't played since 6th Edition, and am thinking about bringing my Tau out to play again. How do they stack up against the competition in 8th Edition? Should I not even bother and just start a new army?

Tau are in a pretty solid place, with the exception of the iconic Crisis Suit and a few other units which are middling to bad. They have great shooting and army special rules and abilities.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

SleazyBakeOven posted:

Hi all!

They're a strong-ish book, but their strong build is deeply unfun to play against so ymmv

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Corrode posted:

They're a strong-ish book, but their strong build is deeply unfun to play against so ymmv

Their weak builds are also deeply unfun to play against. All of their special rules revolve around them sucking to play against.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

PierreTheMime posted:

... the iconic Crisis Suit... are middling to bad.

Iconic units being lousy on the table is something of a theme in 8th.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Maneck posted:

Infantry and Russ are still great :smug:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Booley posted:

Their weak builds are also deeply unfun to play against. All of their special rules revolve around them sucking to play against.

This is enormously heartening to hear given that my brother is also intending to resume playing Tau.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Corrode posted:

Can't deny it, sadly. I picked up Tau cause I like the models and they were cool in Dark Crusade, but they're extremely non-interactive. You drop down your buffs and do your shooting, and if the enemy's ok after that you've probably lost. They really need some incentive to get up in the opponent's face or use the mobile hit-and-run tactics they apparently use in the fluff, but sitting in a castle using massed fire to murder everything while using drones to cancel out key attacks is so effective that there's no reason to do anything else.

Also doesn't help that, Coldstar aside, their units that are fun to use are bad, and their strongest units are bland.

Flavivirus fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Sep 18, 2018

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Objective missions help a lot, but if they hammer the opponent enough the remaining Coldstars just jump to all open objectives gg

Or they just play to table you which is even more “fun”

Edit: this comes off as overly negative, I think. All competitive army builds are varying flavors of un-fun depending on the matchup, though all shooting eliminates a lot of the more interesting aspects of play and frankly that’s just what Tau are.

Their models are neat and if you don’t play super competitive you can have have a fun time.

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Sep 18, 2018

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

PierreTheMime posted:

Objective missions help a lot, but if they hammer the opponent enough the remaining Coldstars just jump to all open objectives gg

Or they just play to table you which is even more “fun”

Edit: this comes off as overly negative, I think. All competitive army builds are varying flavors of un-fun depending on the matchup, though all shooting eliminates a lot of the more interesting aspects of play and frankly that’s just what Tau are.

Their models are neat and if you don’t play super competitive you can have have a fun time.

Tau are unfun because good use of drones makes your shooting have no effect. It just sucks to hit and wound with a couple lascannons only to have a shield drone absorb the shot and not even die.

Plus if you're a melee army it sucks to have their entire army get effectively a second shooting phase.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Booley posted:

Tau are unfun because good use of drones makes your shooting have no effect. It just sucks to hit and wound with a couple lascannons only to have a shield drone absorb the shot and not even die.

Plus if you're a melee army it sucks to have their entire army get effectively a second shooting phase.

God help you if you don’t clear their drones out entirely before trying to assault as well. Of course thats a pain in the rear end to do because they tend to use a ton of small units.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
Knights also kinda suck to play against imo, same for custodes. Thankfully they nerfed the turn 1 teleport/charge BA, because they probably sucked the most. T'''''''''''au aren't too bad, it's mainly drones that are and feel incredibly bullshit I think. Also, they can be kinda impossible to charge.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Can Crisis Suits JSJ yet, that’s all I care about.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Maneck posted:

I built a couple Lictors for KT the other day and after hearing about their glory days compared to 8th (and 7th, and 6th, and 5th, etc)...my heart hurts. What possessed GW to give us the Predator and then take all its rules away? Who's experience was enriched by that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

Wizard posted:

Trust me, nobody will disagree with you about cultist being better than regular chaos marines. Like i said outside of cult troops most marines are taken just to carry special weapons. I would ask why you have no interest in running some daemons along? Most are great cheap bodies to hurl at the foe while you prep for a decisive strike.

Just not a fan of the sculpts.