Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

krysmopompas posted:

Ironically enough, I have an old ThinkPad yoga sitting around that has no trackpoint but a printscreen key in the same place. I always thought it was some oddity of the yoga since I couldn’t fathom the utility of a key that destroys all clipboard contents in such an easy to hit location.

Both hp and dell have trackpoints in their workstation models btw.

I had an HP one for work and I wasn't a fan. Maybe it was a calibration thing, but I found it drifted all the time.

For the T470 I'm looking at, it's a 1080p model and the seller dropped the price to $600 if I go get it tonight with cash in hand. Feels kinda sketchy to me, but if he wants to meet in a public place I guess it wouldn't hurt. Is that a decent price for what's being offered? ($460 USD, essentially)

Edit: met with the dude and while the price was attractive the dude still seemed sketchy as hell. Oh well, I like the keyboard better on this old battle axe anyways.

Coxswain Balls fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Sep 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElehemEare
May 20, 2001
I am an omnipotent penguin.

Coxswain Balls posted:

Oh well, I like the keyboard better on this old battle axe anyways.

If they’d update the ThinkPad 25 with an 8th gen + MX150, they could shut up and take my money. I can’t fathom using anything but the old 7-row keyboard day-to-day on a laptop.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

ElehemEare posted:

If they’d update the ThinkPad 25 with an 8th gen + MX150, they could shut up and take my money. I can’t fathom using anything but the old 7-row keyboard day-to-day on a laptop.

It's especially weird that they don't do this for the X1 Extreme. As far as I can tell it's just their regular 13/14" laptop keyboard with like two inches of empty space on either side

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Statutory Ape posted:

Is broadwell on the shitlist for the spectre and meltdown thing loving performance

Also if those are original batteries in broadwell thatll mean theyre automatically crappier

Yeah, I'm counting on probably having to replace the battery immediately. I put in a lowball offer for the older model (an e7250 with 16GB RAM and a 1080p touchscreen for $250) and it was accepted :coolfish:

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

krysmopompas posted:

I picked up a stand-alone thinkpad keyboard to see if I could live with the layout, and do thinkpads all really have the printscreen key living in prime modifier real estate? Shots of the p1 and x1 seem to indicate they do.

The drivers are from way back in 2013 and won’t install, so I can’t tell if they have any sort of remapping feature of their own. Sharpkeys, and similar, always get flagged by our corporate spyware and and as cheats by games, so it would be frustrating to try and live with if that’s the only fallback.

The pointer nub has been surprisingly unobtrusive at least, as long as i don’t look at it and notice the ‘b’ placement.

You know that sharpkeys is just modifying the registry right? You don’t need to install it, and can completely remove the files after the registry changes are made.

Failing that, you can make the changes yourself in regedit with some research & local admin rights.

It’s never come up as a problem for me on X & X1s in the last few years though.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

wooger posted:

You know that sharpkeys is just modifying the registry right? You don’t need to install it, and can completely remove the files after the registry changes are made.
Whatever it does, carbonblack or some other bullshit complained and they made me revert it. It wasn’t worth investigating since I’m not even considering a thinkpad anymore.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
What other key would go there? It's normally the 'menu' key, which no one in the history of the planet has ever used or knows what it does.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi

The Milkman posted:

What other key would go there? It's normally the 'menu' key, which no one in the history of the planet has ever used or knows what it does.
Don’t put any key there at all, or maybe make room for fullsize arrow keys, or another fn key, or literally anything that doesn’t actively interfere with productivity.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
For those of you who are looking for a dGPU in a 13” laptop I’d recommend the Alienware 13. I got mine a couple months ago and after undervolting cpu by .100, it will run at 70-80c under heavy loads all day long with no throttling. The fans get loud for sure, but they don’t shriek like some other small laptops.

Also when I min/maxed my battery settings, I ran the thing for 8 hours unplugged and browsing the internet/ watching youtubs.

All in all it seems like a good rear end laptop so far.

Oh and it’s loving DENSE. You can tell this thing is packed to the gills with copper for the cooling system.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

For those of you who are looking for a dGPU in a 13” laptop I’d recommend the Alienware 13. I got mine a couple months ago and after undervolting cpu by .100, it will run at 70-80c under heavy loads all day long with no throttling. The fans get loud for sure, but they don’t shriek like some other small laptops.

Also when I min/maxed my battery settings, I ran the thing for 8 hours unplugged and browsing the internet/ watching youtubs.

All in all it seems like a good rear end laptop so far.

Oh and it’s loving DENSE. You can tell this thing is packed to the gills with copper for the cooling system.

The Alienware 13 is cool, especially with the OLED display, but that thing is really just a 14 inch laptop with a smaller screen.

I think the 13 was the only model of the new Alienware lineup that didn't suffer from massive throttling issues. The 15 and 17 had this tripod mount for the CPU heatsink that couldn't evenly spread pressure on the die, meaning one core was always 20c hotter than the other 3 leading to throttling which is a pretty lol thing.

That OLED screen though... I was on the verge of buying the 13 back when I was still looking for a laptop.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
I have a 14” T430S sitting under it now and the Alienware is slightly less wide but much deeper. About the same thickness and definitely heavier.

The screen does have a massive bezel though, yes. I’m glad I got it, the only other laptop I was interested in at all was the XPS15 because of its 99wh battery, but I really like getting high FPS at high settings. Oled is neat.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Snagged an XPS13 1080p on the suggestion of folks and I love it! Thanks a bunch!

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Looking for a new laptop as my current one is on the brink, current laptop is a ASUS K55 15-Inch Laptop (AMD A-Series Quad-Core A8-4500M 1.9 GHz, 6 GB DDR3, Windows 8) I bought for $400 is 2013, looking for something of similar quality for <$300, preferably around $200, used/refurbished is fine, pretty much just use it for school/Netflix (instead of a PC) machine, needs to have an HDMI port

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Sounds like you would be just fine with a Chromebook

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
I'm not a fan of the limited storage on Chromebooks and the fact they don't work offline (I think?), Is this a good laptop?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07439FYQX/ref=psdcmw_13896615011_t2_B00F0RFXD2

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Ace of Baes posted:

I'm not a fan of the limited storage on Chromebooks and the fact they don't work offline (I think?), Is this a good laptop?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07439FYQX/ref=psdcmw_13896615011_t2_B00F0RFXD2

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Thi...LwAAOSwvEBbaJCQ

if i had your budget and didnt want a chromebook this is what i would buy

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Statutory Ape posted:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Thi...LwAAOSwvEBbaJCQ

if i had your budget and didnt want a chromebook this is what i would buy

Thanks.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

I have one, only downside for your uses is the screen being very small, low resolution (1366x768) and altogether not too great, even if you get one of the IPS models.

Thinkpad is a good option though, maybe go for an equivalently priced T series model.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

wooger posted:

I have one, only downside for your uses is the screen being very small, low resolution (1366x768) and altogether not too great, even if you get one of the IPS models.

Thinkpad is a good option though, maybe go for an equivalently priced T series model.

And if it doesn't come with an SSD, make sure you get one.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Ace of Baes posted:

Looking for a new laptop as my current one is on the brink, current laptop is a ASUS K55 15-Inch Laptop (AMD A-Series Quad-Core A8-4500M 1.9 GHz, 6 GB DDR3, Windows 8) I bought for $400 is 2013, looking for something of similar quality for <$300, preferably around $200, used/refurbished is fine, pretty much just use it for school/Netflix (instead of a PC) machine, needs to have an HDMI port
Is your current laptop seriously falling apart or is it just not up to the task now? Because a $200 laptop isn't going to be any better.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

wooger posted:

I actually agree with all these points but $300 max w a preference for closer to $200 was hard to find something good for him :(

Main things I cared about were 8g ram, ssd, which for what he needs should be a-ok.

How much is that combo that atomizer always links, the acer+ssd+ram upgrade? Personally I would just up my budget to whatever that is because for his needs the hardware will probably outlive the shell they installed it in

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

wooger posted:

It will stay hooked up to a tv via HDMI so screen size doesn't really matter. For the person asking yes my current laptop is literally falling apart, screen is smashed, keys are falling off keyboard, and HDMI port is starting to falter.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

mystes posted:

Is your current laptop seriously falling apart or is it just not up to the task now? Because a $200 laptop isn't going to be any better.

Statutory Ape posted:

I actually agree with all these points but $300 max w a preference for closer to $200 was hard to find something good for him :(

Main things I cared about were 8g ram, ssd, which for what he needs should be a-ok.

Yup, $200-300 will get you either:
- A decent CB
- A terrible new Windows laptop
- A just-by-chance, super-lucky find on a decent, older-but-still-usable refurb or otherwise secondhand laptop
In descending order of likelihood/recommendation, of course.

There are some passable options in the $300 range in this Woot sale.

Statutory Ape posted:

How much is that combo that atomizer always links, the acer+ssd+ram upgrade? Personally I would just up my budget to whatever that is because for his needs the hardware will probably outlive the shell they installed it in

It used to be this one for $350 new, but you'd have to look for one used now or otherwise on eBay. 4 GB of RAM for ~$40 and another ~$40 for a 128 GB m.2 SSD, so say $450 total, and absolutely worth it (with a backlit keyboard and better display than most of the cheap laptops linked above.)

The replacement for that model is $380 and has 6 GB of RAM, which is passable and could obviate an upgrade, but you'd still need the SSD upgrade and this one doesn't have the backlit keyboard. The display is likely the same, the change to DDR3 is a puzzling downgrade but not otherwise concerning at this price/performance point, and the CPU is an upgrade, but otherwise, for around the same price and roughly the same specs, I'd prefer the previous model because the backlit keyboard is the one component you can't upgrade (an external one notwithstanding.)

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Picked up a free Asus Eee 900, has 1GB of RAM and a Celeron 900 and a 16GB SSD. It's still got Windows XP, from a driver/hardware compatibility standpoint does this thing have a chance of running Windows 7 or anything newer? The RAM and SSD upgrades I can handle.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Picked up a free Asus Eee 900, has 1GB of RAM and a Celeron 900 and a 16GB SSD. It's still got Windows XP, from a driver/hardware compatibility standpoint does this thing have a chance of running Windows 7 or anything newer? The RAM and SSD upgrades I can handle.

I've installed Win10 on older systems including a very similar Asus netbook to that one, and I think Win10 runs better than older OSs, although you'd definitely need to do those upgrades (4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD) however I don't think the system is worth spending any money on additional hardware at this point. The best option would be to install Neverware CloudReady and turn it into a pseudo-Chromebook; you'd still want more RAM but could leave in the 16 GB SSD.

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I would just throw a minimal Linux distro on it for the 20 minutes you'll be using it before you throw it out the window.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

900MHz or is that the model number?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

900MHz or is that the model number?
It looks like it should be 900MHz, not the 2.2ghz Celeron 900. It really probably isn't worth messing with in 2018.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

mystes posted:

It looks like it should be 900MHz, not the 2.2ghz Celeron 900. It really probably isn't worth messing with in 2018.

I remember them not being worth messing with when they were new in 2001

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

more like mega-hurts

mystes
May 31, 2006

AMD has launched their newer higher TDP laptop processors: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-ryzen-7-2800h-2600h,37800.html

However, I wonder how well these will compare to intel's current offerings. They don't have any 6 core processors to compete with the i7-8750h either.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

My wife's Chromebook finally poo poo the bed, and she's been wanting a new laptop for a while anyway, so looks like it's time to shop. My company has a Dell discount program so I'm going that route.

She's really not looking for anything super-fancy here, just the ability to play some Steam games, watch videos, and use iTunes. I'm considering getting her a 2-in-1 so she can get the keyboard out of the way and use the touchscreen, unless there's something seriously bad about 2-in-1's I'm not aware of. :v:

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

So I seem to have damaged the screen on my T460 while trying to clean it. There's a permanent bright spot that wasn't there until I scrubbed a sneeze-launched booger off it this morning. I wasn't forceful at all, and I'm honestly shocked that this can happen so easily on a relatively modern display (especially one from a durability-focused line like Thinkpad). Is this something I should watch out for on new laptops too?

I don't know much about displays, so if someone can enlighten me I'd really appreciate it. Like can this happen to ANY LCD screen, or are certain brands/models more fragile? Are there types (like the gorilla glass mirrors I hate) that are more resilient to ham fingers?

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Sep 18, 2018

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

If you get something with a touchscreen it'll be more resilient and easier to clean. I had the same problem with my x220 years ago - the screen was way too easy to gently caress up

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Clark Nova posted:

If you get something with a touchscreen it'll be more resilient and easier to clean. I had the same problem with my x220 years ago - the screen was way too easy to gently caress up

This one IS a touchscreen, hence my surprise

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

That spot was always there, it's called a gas light :v:

mystes
May 31, 2006

Unsinkabear posted:

This one IS a touchscreen, hence my surprise
That's pretty weird. You normally really have to work to cause this sort of thing on a touchscreen. I've done all sorts of stuff to my current laptop (which unfortunately has a touchscreen) and never had any issues. I did manage to get a small bright spot on a Samsung tablet, but only because I was dumb and stepped on it with pretty much my full weight.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

mystes posted:

That's pretty weird. You normally really have to work to cause this sort of thing on a touchscreen. I've done all sorts of stuff to my current laptop (which unfortunately has a touchscreen) and never had any issues. I did manage to get a small bright spot on a Samsung tablet, but only because I was dumb and stepped on it with pretty much my full weight.

I think it's because it's a soft matte finish, rather than the traditional stiff glass touchscreen. But that has me worried about all matte panels, which was up until now a pretty strong preference of mine.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Unsinkabear posted:

I think it's because it's a soft matte finish, rather than the traditional stiff glass touchscreen. But that has me worried about all matte panels, which was up until now a pretty strong preference of mine.
Oh, I didn't even realize there were matte touchscreens (at least with modern capacitive touchscreens; I guess lots of devices used to have flimsier matte resistive touchscreens).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

DizzyBum posted:

My wife's Chromebook finally poo poo the bed, and she's been wanting a new laptop for a while anyway, so looks like it's time to shop. My company has a Dell discount program so I'm going that route.

She's really not looking for anything super-fancy here, just the ability to play some Steam games, watch videos, and use iTunes. I'm considering getting her a 2-in-1 so she can get the keyboard out of the way and use the touchscreen, unless there's something seriously bad about 2-in-1's I'm not aware of. :v:

Like all thin and lights the 2-in-1s can run into thermal issues, particularly when gaming. This can be mitigated via undervolting and disabling turbo boosting on the CPU. A more serious enthusiast may opt to also repaste, but if your wife is just doing light gaming she's probably fine with the former two changes which can be done in software, or might even be fine with no adjustments at all.