Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Gaunab posted:

I finished it a while ago and once you get used to it the animation isn't that bad just different. It's above something like Berserk.

Just saw the first episode. Honestly, animation, while not great by any means, isn't as bad as I thought.

But the show is a little bit more different than I was expecting. Both visually and in terms of tone, this show seems way more like say, RWBY than Avatar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I'm on episode 6 of The Dragon Prince now and I'm really liking it. I expected to watch only one ep tonight but welp I guess I'm finishing it.

Edit: Done! Quite enjoyed it, but it looks like it's gonna be pain waiting--I'm assuming--a year for a measly 9 episodes for the next 5 or 6 years?

My only criticism I think is that the bad guy went from nuanced character to "what if Jafar was the Night King" real fast.

Argue fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Sep 15, 2018

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

drrockso20 posted:

Funny thing is that if they had waited till the next year it could have turned out a lot better as they could have used Movie 4 instead of Movie 3 for the last part of the movie and it would have made a hell of a lot more sense(indeed I would love to see an edit of The Movie that replaces the Hurricane Touchdown parts with the dub for Revenge of Diablomon)

I feel like that'd diminish the first Diaboromon movie by association, not gonna lie. As a sequel as it works, but putting one right after the other takes a badass antagonist and a badass final transformation and makes them both into mid story speedbumps.

"Part 3 of the movie is Part 2 again. But with a bigger Diaboromon! And a bigger Omnimon!"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Digimon doesn't really hold up that well in retrospect.

Tamers, maybe, since it condensed the cast and went pretty Lovecraft.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Season 1 was a wild fever dream that I probably saw all out of order, but that's basically what the show was going for. It was pretty good. Season 2 was more structured, and had few enough characters that I could keep track, but it was kinda lame if you look at it from an adult perspective.

Season 3 broke completely from the other two and had it's own new interesting take on everything which really impressed me as a kid, and it turned into this weird story with death and coping and friendship and gatling guns and eldritch horrors wrought of man's nightmares. It's probably the one that's worth revisiting as an adult, but that doesn't mean there isn't insufferable dumb kid stuff and weird things to be uncomfortable about.

Season 4 I only saw a wee bit of, but I guess that's the first and only time I've seen the sephirot in a children's cartoon. That's a thing I guess.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Digimon doesn't really hold up that well in retrospect.

Tamers, maybe, since it condensed the cast and went pretty Lovecraft.

Adventure is great even if it has the animation budget of a 13 episode series stretched across 50 or so

Adventure 02 is kinda mediocre but still has a couple good bits

Tamers is great but does have a couple iffy bits

Frontier had some good ideas but ended up being a very flawed product

Never saw enough of Savers or Xros Wars to properly judge them, and haven't seen any of Appmon either

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Aaah, a new season of BoJack Horseman. Time to punch myself repeatedly in the soul.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

drrockso20 posted:

Adventure is great even if it has the animation budget of a 13 episode series stretched across 50 or so

Never saw enough of Savers or Xros Wars to properly judge them, and haven't seen any of Appmon either

Savers has the main character digivolving his Agumon by punching the enemy in the face. They first meet because of a fight at a public park where a bunch of teens get hurt and Agumon and the MC end up in a fistfight that ends in a stalemate. Then when they are found by the organisation and the digimon attack is brought up, the MC admits that the injured teens were his doing because they were a rival gang that got in his face. Best Main Character.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

drrockso20 posted:

Savers had some fun ideas but kind of sucked.

Xros wars S1 was incredibly stupid but fun anyways.

Xros wars S2 is actually pretty good but has a few notable flaws.

Hunters was a boring pile of wasted potential.

The two episodes of Appmon I saw were pretty insufferable.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Dragon Prince is solid overall, but hoooo boyyyyyy there are some glaring issues. My short review is that it's like starting Legend of Korra at Season 2.

I'll give it another shot when there's two more batches of episodes.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

readingatwork posted:

Savers had some fun ideas but kind of sucked.

Xros wars S1 was incredibly stupid but fun anyways.

Xros wars S2 is actually pretty good but has a few notable flaws.

Hunters was a boring pile of wasted potential.

The two episodes of Appmon I saw were pretty insufferable.

Appmon gets better as it goes on but your mileage may vary.

To round out that list, Tri had some interesting ideas but was ultimately kind of a train wreck. Aside from a fourth incarnation of the Adventure series that's coming out in movie form at some point the Digimon franchise seems kind of dead in the water at this point in terms of the anime.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Larryb posted:

Appmon gets better as it goes on but your mileage may vary.

To round out that list, Tri had some interesting ideas but was ultimately kind of a train wreck. Aside from a fourth incarnation of the Adventure series that's coming out in movie form at some point the Digimon franchise seems kind of dead in the water at this point in terms of the anime.

Meanwhile it's doing just fine in the world of video games

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

What do guys think of Disenchanted? I'm four episodes in, but I'm really not feeling it so far. I'll expand on this in more detail later when I can collect my thoughts better, but it just seems pretty...dull so far. I feel that none of the characters are either particularly likeable nor do they leave any real impression. Plus it feels weird hearing John Dimaggio in a completely non-Benderlike VA role.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
There's a disenchanted thread here.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's also not really what you'd call a kids show.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

paradoxGentleman posted:

Aaah, a new season of BoJack Horseman. Time to punch myself repeatedly in the soul.

What poor child is watching Bojack Horseman

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Waffleman_ posted:

It's also not really what you'd call a kids show.

Anything can be a kid's show if you let them watch it.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

readingatwork posted:

Anything can be a kid's show if you let them watch it.

Heh, sorry, i forget that this thread isn't exactly a general all purpose cartoon thread

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Pakled posted:

Hah, I remember thinking the Digimon movie was kind of a trainwreck as a kid, but I chalked it up to me not having watched much of the anime and never played the games (whereas I was a huge pokemon fan). So I read up on it and I see that the Digimon movie is an edit of three short Digimon films that weren't connected at all.

No wonder it sucked so much.

Ah, the '80s Robotech / Voltron strategy, a bold move in the early - mid 2000s.

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012
Don't think anyone's posted this yet, but Villainous is getting a full series. The cross-promotional shorts with other cartoon network villains were pretty fun but I'm interested to see where a standalone show will go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGX7UjPZtc4

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Macaluso posted:

That short was made by someone who had never seen Digimon in their entire life and had only seen a single character from the show

That short wasn't even made for the movie, they just took an episode from the regular show and reskinned it to vaguely resemble Digimon.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Im watching the Dragon Prince having never seen Avatar or Korra. Its gorgeous and I love the voice acting (surprised many of them have not really been in much) but I have a big peeve / complaint: why the gently caress is everyone doing bits all the time. Im assuming kids love that poo poo, but its hilarious how someone will, while in peril or in a serious conversation, just start riffing and going off on a bit. And EVERY character does it, which is wild, its not like a specific comedic relief character!! Wild. Anyways this show seems like one I'd enjoy watching with my kids.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

That's basically how Avatar was too. the equivalent of zoidberg's grandpa going "WILL SOMEONE THROW A PIE ALREADY"

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I like that everyone is funny. In (early) ATLA Aang never took anything seriously, Sokka was a dumbass, and Katara was a total wet blanket all the time. TDP does much better in terms of letting female characters be funny and grounding each character's sense of humor in their personalities.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
The animation in the dragon prince loving sucks it’s like 5-10 FPS and it’s just so jarring

Like the show itself is fine I guess but the animation turns me off super hard

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Yeah, I generally prefer it to everybody being serious all the time. Shows that try too hard to maintain how dire or dramatic the situation is tend to lose my attention.

The only time I've really resented a show for its attempts to be comedic was Young Justice, because it was truly terrible at it, but when they ditched those bits, it was so self-serious I couldn't stand it.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

The animation in the dragon prince loving sucks it’s like 5-10 FPS and it’s just so jarring

Like the show itself is fine I guess but the animation turns me off super hard

Low framerates like that are pretty common for animation, especially if it's real detailed, but since the show's mostly CG, it's not a technical limitation, it's an active stylistic choice, so it's real weird.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
it's also clearly not applied with any kind of care - the frame limiter seems to have been applied at the last minute, leading to bits where sign language is obscured by missing frames and hand-countable framerates in emotional scenes.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The thing with the Dragon Prince is that it feels like the funny talks take too long. It's like every episode tries to have one scene like the Just Bear scene from ATLA, and sometimes more than two.

The frame stuff is bad, to the point where I'm always thankful for panning shots just being smooth and good on the eye to break from the characters.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It reminds me of the complaints with things like the new Star Wars movies where absolutely everything has to end with a zinger to avoid things getting -too serious- for a single moment.

Also sounds a lot like the more cheap and obnoxious kind of anime. (One Piece comes to mind but more that everyone takes turns being wacky in their own way but can also be serious when required)

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Yeah, the comedy bits are a bit questionable. Not that I'm saying there shouldn't be comedy - quite the oppopsite, since I'm generally more a fan of light-hearted fares - it's just that TDP's comedy segments in many cases tend to feel pretty forced. I gush about TLA all the time, but one of the things I thought it did really well was managed to balance the serious with the comedic almost perfectly. The comedic elements felt very natural, and hardly if ever felt like they were inappropriate. With TDP, the humor just feels like they're trying way too hard, imo.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

On the animation: I think they can much improve it in the next season by adding in more ease in/out keys, especially in conversational/expositional scenes. The action animation looks perfectly fine. But for the more gentle scenes, the lack of ease makes the motions feel more abrupt in their starting and stopping. I'm sure they'll keep tweaking it if they have big long-term plans for the series.

Overall I think the series is pretty interesting and I'm curious to see where it goes.

At this point it might be worth a site putting together all the worthwhile Netflix Original cartoons, because there are a LOT of them, and my TV app often doesn't bring half of them up when I browse around. Did you know there's a Croods 2D cartoon, and that there's 4 seasons of it?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

The 7th Guest posted:

On the animation: I think they can much improve it in the next season by adding in more ease in/out keys, especially in conversational/expositional scenes. The action animation looks perfectly fine. But for the more gentle scenes, the lack of ease makes the motions feel more abrupt in their starting and stopping. I'm sure they'll keep tweaking it if they have big long-term plans for the series.

Overall I think the series is pretty interesting and I'm curious to see where it goes.

At this point it might be worth a site putting together all the worthwhile Netflix Original cartoons, because there are a LOT of them, and my TV app often doesn't bring half of them up when I browse around. Did you know there's a Croods 2D cartoon, and that there's 4 seasons of it?

Both it and the show they did for Home are cute little shows

Also it's a crime they haven't done a show for Megamind yet

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I'd really really like to watch the Dragon Prince but the animation was actually making me queasy. I had to stop after the second episode. :(

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

VibrantPareidolia posted:

Don't think anyone's posted this yet, but Villainous is getting a full series. The cross-promotional shorts with other cartoon network villains were pretty fun but I'm interested to see where a standalone show will go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGX7UjPZtc4

Oh I am VERY excited for this. :D

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

For some reason, I have a soft spot for Butt Ugly Martians.

Maybe because in retrospect, it's a show about pretending to work while goofing off as much as possible.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That show was just something I had to endure before Zim came on.

WE ARE THE MARTIANS THE BUTT UGLY MARTIANS

good lord

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
in avatar there were a lot of "serious moment, cut to joke" but tdp that's like 90% of the humor instead of like 40% of it.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?

SlothfulCobra posted:

Yeah, I generally prefer it to everybody being serious all the time. Shows that try too hard to maintain how dire or dramatic the situation is tend to lose my attention.

The only time I've really resented a show for its attempts to be comedic was Young Justice, because it was truly terrible at it, but when they ditched those bits, it was so self-serious I couldn't stand it.

Low framerates like that are pretty common for animation, especially if it's real detailed, but since the show's mostly CG, it's not a technical limitation, it's an active stylistic choice, so it's real weird.

you sound fun in parties. jokes aside. I don't hate serious drama shows. i just hate the very melodramatic varieties that turn me off from live action as a medium. anime has it too but I tend to avoid those like the plague.

i like shows with more of a realistic tone, not too serious, but not too funny. not too sad but not too happy. in the middle as it seems. from what i'm hearing right now, dragon prince fails on that and i'm reluctant on renewing my netflix subscription. not really watching bojack either despite being such a cynical human being. i'll just go back hoping tangled gets new episode.

Fruity20 fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Sep 17, 2018

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

For some reason, I have a soft spot for Butt Ugly Martians.

Maybe because in retrospect, it's a show about pretending to work while goofing off as much as possible.

What about Super Duper Sumos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Avatar (the cartoon) is coming back as a brand new Netflix-exclusive live action series penned by the original writers:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/avatar-the-last-airbender-is-being-reborn-as-a-netflix-1829139229

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Sep 18, 2018