Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Edit: I was gonna post a funny tweet but forums formatting wrecks it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Did I already miss the conversation about how they're adding Smash Bros to Shovel Knight? Because they're adding Smash Bros to Shovel Knight :psyduck:
https://youtu.be/Nr81mmA_inA

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Oh the multi player thing? Yeah that was discussed. Looks neat

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Finished Prototype, thank you devs for deciding your final boss fight wasn't already lovely enough and adding a timer when you get it below a certain amount of health and making me sit through a cutscene every time I died.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Perhaps the name was appropriate.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Last night I fired up Fallout 4 VR and holy poo poo is this gonna need a lot of modding but also it's really funny to one-hand a giant loving minigun but also I'm downloading a bunch of mods to do a pistol/melee only run now

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Wapo get Stormy Daniels to play Mario Kart 8 on Twitch

gently caress this timeline

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ultra Woke Post Of The Day:

"Kraid" was just a mistranslation of "Clyde"

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/gameinformer/status/1042107684483416064

On one hand it sucks people are losing their jobs but on the other hand the Vancouver office did not get how to make a good DR game at all and massively hosed up. The Capcom Japan guys are doing way better work than the NA branches are.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm not sure how much of that was capcom vancouver itself or just capcom assigning really lovely project leads tbh. dead rising 2 wasn't as good as dr1 but it still had a decent grasp of the core design of the series, it seems like dr3 and 4 were largely headed by different people who didn't understand nearly as well

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDeThz30JtQ

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I was wondering how the DR franchise was doing

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Finished Prototype, thank you devs for deciding your final boss fight wasn't already lovely enough and adding a timer when you get it below a certain amount of health and making me sit through a cutscene every time I died.

Oh man that sucked. I dunno the specifics any more I just remember it was rear end

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
DR2 is better than 1, DR1's pacing is a lot weaker, cramming a bunch of events together to make it a pain to do everything but leaving half a day with nothing to do. DR2 paced things where you can do everything without really busting your rear end and there's less dead time.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 18, 2018

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

McDragon posted:

Oh man that sucked. I dunno the specifics any more I just remember it was rear end

It was a giant mutant who not only could stunlock you just as hard as the smaller ones, it could also perform a version of your super death blossom screen clear attack (I don't remember if this was a one-hit kill but it sure was a pain in the rear end). The best strategy, much like the smaller mutants, was to stay far away and throw all the junk lying around the arena at him.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

This is my boy, my precious treasure.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Accordion Man posted:

DR2 is better than 1, DR1's pacing is a lot weaker, cramming a bunch of events together to make it a pain to do everything but leaving half a day with nothing to do. DR2 paced things where you can do everything without really busting your rear end and there's less dead time.

having to bust your rear end to do things and then prepare for the next wave of poo poo to hit the fan is the point of dr1 though

like in between doing poo poo is when you try to explore around and get stuff like the maintenance key and a good arsenal of weapons to make your life easier when you end up needing them

dr2:otr in particular ends up completely annihilating this part of the dynamic by adding an open world mode with item carryover

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Sep 18, 2018

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Prototype was a peak X360 game. Shitbrowns and tans and deep reds, main character has a hoodie jacket and monster claws and can glide, large open world with zero interesting poo poo to do besides gently caress with NPCs, abhorrent mission designs, technobabble plot.

What were the good open world games pre-Witcher 3? Fallout 3/NV and Skyrim I guess?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

haveblue posted:

It was a giant mutant who not only could stunlock you just as hard as the smaller ones, it could also perform a version of your super death blossom screen clear attack (I don't remember if this was a one-hit kill but it sure was a pain in the rear end). The best strategy, much like the smaller mutants, was to stay far away and throw all the junk lying around the arena at him.

That sounds familiar

and now, this
https://twitter.com/nintendolife/status/1042106289868951554

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the hosed up thing is that studio made one of the best baseball games in recent memory, and then they became The Dead Rising Studio

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/nintendolife/status/1042107718763458560

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
if dead rising 1 has a problem with dead time, it's less the pacing of the standard game and more having to unlock stuff through ridiculously tedious achievements like ramming into zombies in the maintenance tunnels for five hours, or having to leave the game running on endless mode for like three days

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/dril/status/397...ingawful.com%2F

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Prototype ruled because your method of gliding was to spray pressurized blood out of your wrists or something equally badass.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

DLC Inc posted:

Prototype was a peak X360 game. Shitbrowns and tans and deep reds, main character has a hoodie jacket and monster claws and can glide, large open world with zero interesting poo poo to do besides gently caress with NPCs, abhorrent mission designs, technobabble plot.

What were the good open world games pre-Witcher 3? Fallout 3/NV and Skyrim I guess?

- Just Cause 2
- Assasin's Creed Ezio Trilogy
- GTA San Andreas

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
spider-man 2

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Crackdown (1 not 2)

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

The Colonel posted:

if dead rising 1 has a problem with dead time, it's less the pacing of the standard game and more having to unlock stuff through ridiculously tedious achievements like ramming into zombies in the maintenance tunnels for five hours, or having to leave the game running on endless mode for like three days

Sometimes I wonder if that game is what caused the spike of red rings cuz yeah some of the stuff the game wants would overheat the 360. On a related note it’s also where I got my first red ring and it wasn’t doing anything like that. Just Frank running around and bam RROD’d.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
All I remember about Prototype is trying to fight giant boss things but getting hit by rockets over and over.

I don't think they even did much damage they were just annoying.

Red Dead Redemption was probably Peak Open World of the ps3/x360 generation.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Rarity posted:

- Just Cause 2
- Assasin's Creed Ezio Trilogy
- GTA San Andreas

Vice City

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Anyone here ever play Fallen London? I’m trying it for the first time (after playing Sunless Sea to death), and it’s pretty funny how they keep underlining just how amazing your character is at everything ever. You kind of end up being a genius superstar poet by default

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jay Rust posted:

Anyone here ever play Fallen London? I’m trying it for the first time (after playing Sunless Sea to death), and it’s pretty funny how they keep underlining just how amazing your character is at everything ever. You kind of end up being a genius superstar poet by default

I tried it a bit and it seemed insanely grindy so I ditched it

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

My wife loves Fallen London, it’s one of the three games she plays all the time in addition to the Sims 2 and Neopets (yes).

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

:sever:

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
My wife plays Minecraft and World of Warcraft, Neopets might be better

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Colonel posted:

having to bust your rear end to do things and then prepare for the next wave of poo poo to hit the fan is the point of dr1 though

like in between doing poo poo is when you try to explore around and get stuff like the maintenance key and a good arsenal of weapons to make your life easier when you end up needing them

dr2:otr in particular ends up completely annihilating this part of the dynamic by adding an open world mode with item carryover

I would still take DR2 over the first game because of quality of life improvements. The other survivors aren't completely useless taking care of themselves and it cuts down on some of the bullshit wonkiness regarding the game's arcade rear end design (now there's only one guy on a vehicle I have to cheese into a wall instead of three with a machine gun!). In DR2 if a guy with a gun sees you there's only a 50% chance you'll get stun locked instead of a straight 100% chance.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
and then dead rising 2 makes you fight sniper rifle rednecks who take a dozen shots to kill and if you manage to get up close they stunlock you to death with machetes instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

They’re both bad at bosses

• Locked thread