Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Protocol7 posted:

I haven't had (gameplay affecting) hand jitter or too much jankiness (though it is much harder to hit things with a sniper or some other weapon that requires steady aim, I'll agree with that).

Though you can turn the thumbsticks on for movement and rotation, which when combined with natural body turning can make turning around super quick and easy. It could probably be considered cheating.

How do you enable the thumbsticks? I've only been able to use the trackpad for moving in Pavlov.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Sigourney Cheevos posted:

How do you enable the thumbsticks? I've only been able to use the trackpad for moving in Pavlov.

Should be able to swap in the SteamVR mappings.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I played Gun Club VR which is a port of a mobile game with a lot of micro transactions that they apparently stripped out for the VR release. It’s not as good as H3VR in terms of gun simulation or content, but while Anton is still pushing out new updates it’s a decent holdover with a long string of different target shooting challenges that let you unlock new guns and attachments. I like making very dumb tacticlol abominations, and Gun Club is pretty good for that.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I've put more time into Gun Club VR than H3 just because there's some actual game there. I appreciate the realism and detail in H3, but I really need objectives to keep my attention.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Man, Windlands 2 is hard. I died like a dozen times on the first boss alone. It's kinda ridiculous how difficult it was. Fly in, shoot a target or two, get completely obliterated, and repeat until you beat all 3 stages of the boss. I guess it is a good thing the game defaults to unlimited lives. Just keep respawning into the meat grinder.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Taintrunner posted:

I played Gun Club VR which is a port of a mobile game with a lot of micro transactions that they apparently stripped out for the VR release. It’s not as good as H3VR in terms of gun simulation or content, but while Anton is still pushing out new updates it’s a decent holdover with a long string of different target shooting challenges that let you unlock new guns and attachments. I like making very dumb tacticlol abominations, and Gun Club is pretty good for that.

I bought GC3 for the Go while it was on sale and was playing it again just last night. I kinda wish there was a bit more to do in it but it has the zombie and ww2 levels included so its not too bad. The big payouts are on level ups rather than progression. I think it would suck with micro transactions. The other one they have available is SWAT Academy, and it was a toss up which one to buy. I thought the cardboard targets seemed more fitting to the shooting range theme so I ended up with Gun Club.

Sorta makes me wish for 6DOF controller, but at the same time they did a pretty good job with it. It has gamepad support too, which I haven't tried. I can't see that being as fun though.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Nalin posted:

Man, Windlands 2 is hard. I died like a dozen times on the first boss alone. It's kinda ridiculous how difficult it was. Fly in, shoot a target or two, get completely obliterated, and repeat until you beat all 3 stages of the boss. I guess it is a good thing the game defaults to unlimited lives. Just keep respawning into the meat grinder.

I wish it was balanced different, easier but they reset when you die. I guess the current model lines up better with the rest of the game respawning you at checkpoints with no penalty, but it means you can cheese it by bum rushing it over and over

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Stick100 posted:

Should be able to swap in the SteamVR mappings.

You can do this, but in the default.vrsettings file in the Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR driver files, you can turn thumbstickControlsEnabled to true to use them to simulate walking and rotating the HMD.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...mvr-application

porksmash
Sep 30, 2008
In SweViver's amazing review video of the PiMax 5k+/8k he gets into SDE and image quality. To my eyes it seems like the upscaling of the 8k makes everything look objectively worse and the 5k+ is the headset to get. I guess if any amount of SDE makes you fly into a rage you would prefer the 8k, but the clarity present in the 5k wins out for me.

For the unfamiliar, both 5k+ and 8k headsets accept a 1440p video signal, but the 8k upscales the signal to fit a 4k LED panel, while the 5k+ has native 1440p panels. Link to appropriate time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcZ0CXP0qgU&t=4678s

porksmash fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Sep 17, 2018

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Yeah, the 8k just seems like a terrible compromise; feeding the displays with a non-native resolution is never going to work well. If for some reason you want to go for a Pimax it does seem like the 5k or the even more overpriced 8k X would be the ways to go.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

porksmash posted:

In SweViver's amazing review video of the PiMax 5k+/8k he gets into SDE and image quality. To my eyes it seems like the upscaling of the 8k makes everything look objectively worse and the 5k+ is the headset to get. I guess if any amount of SDE makes you fly into a rage you would prefer the 8k, but the clarity present in the 5k wins out for me.

For the unfamiliar, both 5k+ and 8k headsets accept a 1440p video signal, but the 8k upscales the signal to fit a 4k LED panel, while the 5k+ has native 1440p panels. Link to appropriate time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcZ0CXP0qgU&t=4678s

I remember Linux from Linus Tech Tips making similar comments with a much earlier prototype.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

house of the dad posted:

I appreciate the realism and detail in H3, but I really need objectives to keep my attention.

Have you tried the take and hold mode? There seems to be quite a bit of gameplay there, esp making you switch up weapons with permadeath.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Personally I am really excited for the release of the StarVR SteamVR 2.0 VR system.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

iceaim posted:

Personally I am really excited for the release of the StarVR SteamVR 2.0 VR system.

I think most people are, but the way they positioned the product I wouldn't be surprised if it was $3000+ per headset while the Pimax 5K+ will probably be near $599.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Stick100 posted:

Have you tried the take and hold mode? There seems to be quite a bit of gameplay there, esp making you switch up weapons with permadeath.

It also sounds like Anton is working on an upcoming Meat of Action mode that will sort of be like a Metal Gear Solid lite using the new sosigs in the alpha branch. I've only seen a few Discord posts describing what he envisions, though. But the new sosigs are fun.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Protocol7 posted:

It also sounds like Anton is working on an upcoming Meat of Action mode that will sort of be like a Metal Gear Solid lite using the new sosigs in the alpha branch. I've only seen a few Discord posts describing what he envisions, though. But the new sosigs are fun.

Now this sounds fun.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I found a nearly-lifesize ceramic head on a market stall, he does me just nicely (usually wears the headset properly, just modelling here :cool: )

I stumbled upon these while looking for Halloween stuff on AliExpress, maybe a little expensive but if you want to display / store your VR hat on show, it might be worth a buy...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1PCS-NEW-FMA-Black-Tactical-Helmet-Display-Model-TB1139/32855576837.html

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

porksmash posted:

Jeez, even with a 1080ti a few games won't cap the display's framerate. Seems like a 2080 or 2080ti is gonna be the go-to for the Pimax 5k+/8k:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8iFOhC2j6I&t=1360s

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Ultra high fov displays won't make sense until foveated rendering is integrated as standard, with software support.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Pretty promising stuff though, if the roll-out to backers goes forward smoothly it should turn out to be a lot better result to the whole ordeal than I'd been expecting.

I reckon I'll stick with the 8k rather than switching to the 5K+. It'll probably have me shelling out for a next gen graphics card too at some point, sounds like my 1080 isn't going to cut it :(

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Chadzok posted:

Pretty promising stuff though, if the roll-out to backers goes forward smoothly it should turn out to be a lot better result to the whole ordeal than I'd been expecting.

I reckon I'll stick with the 8k rather than switching to the 5K+. It'll probably have me shelling out for a next gen graphics card too at some point, sounds like my 1080 isn't going to cut it :(

I find it pretty hilarious that Pimax by all accounts did a lot of stuff better on this than HTC could manage on the Vive Pro. Apparently better microphone, less god rays, lighter, and much better tracking when only a single lighthouse is visible.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

What is that "Jingo" game supposed to be? Worms for nationalists?

In case anyone was still wondering about this, it pretty much is first-person worms. limited movement points/time per round, all your guys share an ammo pool. there were some questionable accents and the fov was set too high, but you can physically move behind cover in roomscale if someone is shooting at you so that's kind of cool.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Jenny Agutter posted:

there were some questionable accents

who would have thojugh... the VR game... is RACIST :thunk:

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Rectus posted:

For all the photogrammetry buffs here, check out this new open-source tool called Meshroom: https://alicevision.github.io/

I've tried running a few old photo sets through it and it seems to produce a lot better results than Photoscan or RealityCapture without any pre-processing at least. It doesn't seem to have any iterative workflow for aligning cameras though.

Cool, I look forward to checking this out and doing some tests.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Rectus posted:

For all the photogrammetry buffs here, check out this new open-source tool called Meshroom: https://alicevision.github.io/

I've tried running a few old photo sets through it and it seems to produce a lot better results than Photoscan or RealityCapture without any pre-processing at least. It doesn't seem to have any iterative workflow for aligning cameras though.

I'll definitely try this out. I've made a couple things with Photoscan, it will be interesting to see how this compares.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Chadzok posted:

Its a bit weird really. A lot of the pics going around seem to show little sde difference between 5k+ and 8k. There's a couple that do but the 8k is all blurry from upscaling. Still nothing at all on it from PM themselves who I think have said they want to sell 8k to business. Choice seems clear but I still don't entirely get it

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

So now that I have a Rift and am having super fun times with my Steam library, I have to ask is there anything worth getting on the Rift store? I've got my freebies, those paint games (me), Robo Recall (super fun) and that squirrel platformer (also super fun). I don't mind keeping my library in Steam but if there is any exclusive I have to get I can give it a shot.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Lone Echo is the big one

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Green Puddin posted:

So now that I have a Rift and am having super fun times with my Steam library, I have to ask is there anything worth getting on the Rift store? I've got my freebies, those paint games (me), Robo Recall (super fun) and that squirrel platformer (also super fun). I don't mind keeping my library in Steam but if there is any exclusive I have to get I can give it a shot.

Echo Arena/Combat is probably the best multiplayer game in VR right now and free but Rift exclusive. OFC try Rec Room if you haven't yet.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Green Puddin posted:

Super Hot is really good. Echo Arena and BoxVR are as well if you're into eithe those types of games. Thrill of the Fight is a really good boxing sim but it's steam early access only, although it can be run through the oculus dash.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Green Puddin posted:

Plenty. From a while back (the ones at the top of this post are on only the Oculus store):

El Grillo posted:

There have been a ton of games that have come out. Here are some of the big ones:

Brass Tactics as someone already mentioned is the latest, and it has a free demo. First (really awesome) proper RTS from some of the Age of Empires devs.

Landfall is another good RTS type game but focuses on controlling individual mech characters on smaller arenas.

I think it's pretty much universally agreed that Lone Echo is a must-play experience and probably the best single player VR game so far. But it looks like you haven't played Echo Arena, its free multiplayer? Definitely need to check both of them out.

The Mage's Tale is another big singleplayer. It's fun and the visuals are decent but there's a bit of a lack of polish.

Sprint Vector is a multiplayer that just came out, it's kind of a Mario-cart-type racing game but without the carts. Look up some videos, it's sort of hard to describe, there's lots of flying.

From Other Suns is described as a cross between Faster Than Light and Borderlands. It's a single player/co-op game where you command your own spaceship and travel across the galaxy, fighting AI enemies either in space with your ship, or in FPS by jumping onto other ships and space stations. Some people say it gets monotonous due to the proc gen used for combat environments. But it's pretty polished and fun and the feeling of piloting your ship with your own crew, with the various different jobs of engineer etc.. definitely gave me a Firefly trip. Up to 4 player co-op or you can play with AI on your side.

Arktika.1 is a very polished FPS single player from the Metro devs, apparently it's great unless you have a searing hatred of teleportation gameplay.

Wilson's Heart is another singleplayer first person experience, it's a noire first person puzzler/gothic horror game but in reality is more of a long-form interactive narrative experience. People still really seem to like it though despite the lack of in-depth gameplay mechanics.

In a somewhat similar vein, The Invisible Hours is a totally non-interactive, 'virtual immersive theatre' experience. It's a murder mystery in a mansion with a whole story all going on at once - so you choose how to experience it, which characters to follow and in which order. Really awesome apparently despite somewhat mediocre visuals.

Mission: ISS is a simulation of the internal US side of the ISS (and the whole thing in EVA mode). Very cool.

Obduction is Myst in VR. Very good if you like that sort of thing, but there have been performance problems so it's worth staying under two hours playtime so you can refund, unless & until you're happy with how it runs on your machine.

Star Trek: Bridge Crew is what it sounds like. Really fun with a good crew, lots of capacity for amusing idiocy. Only criticisms are that it's visually somewhat meh, and whilst there's a good amount of content, the actual number of campaign missions is a bit limited.

Google Earth VR is mindblowing.

Res Infinite is beautiful and trippy as hell.

Fallout 4 VR is Fallout 4 in VR. Typical Bethesda jank where you have to use community mods to get it to run properly.

Assume you know about Onward/Pavlov. Good fps's of very different types.

Arkham VR is actually great even though it's a quite short. Weirdly enough, the last half is one of the best narrative uses of VR I've seen. The visual polish is loving great too.

Updated old stuff:
I Expect You To Die had another mission added to it for free, so there's probably a solid two to three hours' content in there now. Even more worth checking out if you never did.
The Unspoken released a single player campaign which was pretty cool and visually great, unsurprisingly short though.
Rec Room now has a whole bunch of quests, including the pirate one they just released, and also customisable persistent community rooms where you can build poo poo, kind of like a paired-down Garry's Mod.
Big Screen added large multiplayer spaces recently, and you can broadcast your screen to all other players with audio if you have a decent upload bandwidth.

Finally, there are also a whole ton of free experiences, documentaries and so on many of which are well worth checking out. Oculus store is a good place to look.

e: also the new Oculus Home is pretty great, though still no loving social :argh:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wasn’t there someone in this thread who set up head/hand tracking with Kinect? How did that ever pan out?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
https://www.oculus.com/blog/go-behind-the-scenes-of-the-oc5-oculus-venues-livestream-with-supersphere/

quote:

How will your approach to broadcasting OC5’s esports events differ from the keynotes?

LW: They’re different formats, so we adjust our approach accordingly. For the keynotes, we’ll focus on switching live 180° cameras on the speakers, along with graphics integration. The esports tournaments will blend live cameras and multiple gaming inputs. We’ll also debut brand-new technology that creates immersive outputs from the game engines themselves, for a true 180°/360° observer view of the gameplay. This is the first time that viewers will be inside this rich, more immersive look at gameplay. We worked closely with the talented teams at Facebook, Oculus, and ESL to build a complete set of immersive environments that fans will love.

If you have a Go or GearVR this sounds like it should be pretty cool.

Unfortunately I think you need to link your facebook account to use venues

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Lemming posted:

Unfortunately I think you need to link your facebook account to use venues

Yeah I think you do, although I think you could make a new one instead of your "real" FB account.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Wow, this is super useful, thanks for posting it

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Krycek posted:

Super Hot is really good. Echo Arena and BoxVR are as well if you're into eithe those types of games. Thrill of the Fight is a really good boxing sim but it's steam early access only, although it can be run through the oculus dash.

None of those are titles you’d want to buy in home. Zero exclusives.

Lone echo, is about it. Well and echo arena.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I would say From Other Suns, Chronos are very solid, and while they got mixed reviews for various reasons, I thought Arktika.1 and Wilson's Heart were both really enjoyable. Edge of nowhere was good, Brass Tactics seems to get some love, and I think i'd always worth checking out when they're having sales (OC5 is next week and theres a possibility of a sale around then as well).

I mean, I prefer getting everything from there anyways so my VR stuff is in one place, but if you can get something cheaper there, no reason not to.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
:siren: :siren: AIRHORN :siren: :siren:

KNUCKLES INFO BOYS

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1508356684

edit: So its not a ton of new info, they are producing EV3, and it sounds like it might be the final dev kit before release since all of the changes are fairly minor. However battery life is a whopping 7-8 hours which seems pretty awesome.

Knifegrab fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Sep 18, 2018

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Knifegrab posted:

:siren: :siren: AIRHORN :siren: :siren:

KNUCKLES INFO BOYS

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1508356684

edit: So its not a ton of new info, they are producing EV3, and it sounds like it might be the final dev kit before release since all of the changes are fairly minor. However battery life is a whopping 7-8 hours which seems pretty awesome.

Also they said they are sending them out to many more devs than EV2. If you haven't signed up as a dev they are going to reopen the process. This is probably the final dev kit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Wasn’t there someone in this thread who set up head/hand tracking with Kinect? How did that ever pan out?

I did, and technically it did work, but the Monoculus has such a blurry/smearing display I decided to return it to Walmart.

It did track my head and hand positions (very slight latency but not enough to be bothersome, and it had extremely high accuracy, no jerking around or anything) in the room for the Vive Home or whatever it's called, with little to no configuration. The app is developed by a single guy so you're at his mercy.

It only cost me $30 for a Kinect 2.0 and 15 minutes to mod it to work on Windows, so I'll hang on to it for later when I decide to gently caress around with VR Chat full body tracking or something.