Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
I’ve had my preorder in at a local store for a bit and was debating it up until recently - one guy posted a video that reminded me of the demo scene from the 90s which sold me on it.

I’ve an OP1 for about six years and find use but very occasionally out of it ever since I got a Monomachine. The OPZ seems perfect as a portable sketch pad that will no doubt have more updates over the years.

I’ve fallen in and out of the hype over the last year and I’m curious to see what I can do with it. If all it winds up being a great portable jam synth, then so be it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

64bit_Dophins posted:

I left my microkorg in the trunk of my car for a year and now it's melted and none of the keys work :(

I'm debating on buying another microkorg (because I actually really like it suck it hater), or the minilouge (big dollar upgrade). Is the minilogue worth the extra dosh? It seems like a dope piece of kit but nowhere near as versitile as the microkorg. Most of the minilogue demos I've seen are just 80s cheese but like thicc cheese if u kno what I mean.

I'll probably just buy both tbh HAIL SATAN.

Another option is to get one of those case kits for the microkorg , do a keyboard delete, and mount it on a rack. Anyone have any experience with these kits or should I just get a circular saw and do the lords work myself.

I have a Minilogue and while I have definitely found a spot for it in my workflow, it really benefits from some additional effects processing like overdrive, distortion, fuzz, reverb, and chorus to help thicken the sound up a bit. I really like it for leads or background synth effects.

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

64bit_Dophins posted:

I left my microkorg in the trunk of my car for a year and now it's melted and none of the keys work :(

I'm debating on buying another microkorg (because I actually really like it suck it hater), or the minilouge (big dollar upgrade). Is the minilogue worth the extra dosh? It seems like a dope piece of kit but nowhere near as versitile as the microkorg. Most of the minilogue demos I've seen are just 80s cheese but like thicc cheese if u kno what I mean.

I'll probably just buy both tbh HAIL SATAN.

Another option is to get one of those case kits for the microkorg , do a keyboard delete, and mount it on a rack. Anyone have any experience with these kits or should I just get a circular saw and do the lords work myself.

Minilogue demos are mostly people playing the Stranger Things theme or derivatives, but it really can do so much more than that. It's cheese capable, sure, but you can get really weird with it, and yes, as MrSargent said, it really benefits from pedals.

Definitely don't leave the Minilogue in your trunk for a year!

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

A MIRACLE posted:

I feel like the cuckoo videos can be helpful but I just cannot stand that dudes personality or whatever you call it

I though the op z was going to have a projector built in or something?

I also don't care for his videos just because his voice gets on my nerves. Still pretty useful for checking out newer synths but he's no Sonic Lab baldy that's for sure.

MrSargent posted:

I have a Minilogue and while I have definitely found a spot for it in my workflow, it really benefits from some additional effects processing like overdrive, distortion, fuzz, reverb, and chorus to help thicken the sound up a bit. I really like it for leads or background synth effects.

I guess I'd have to play with it because I don't really get that impression from the demos. That said the build in effects on the microkorg are all trash imo and I usually used it with guitar pedals anyways. I really like the sequencer though and I feel like I would be able to make some really cool hard-percussion/drum loops using the sequencer and a big muff.

ricecult posted:

Minilogue demos are mostly people playing the Stranger Things theme or derivatives, but it really can do so much more than that. It's cheese capable, sure, but you can get really weird with it, and yes, as MrSargent said, it really benefits from pedals.

Definitely don't leave the Minilogue in your trunk for a year!

Yeah I was dumb but then again I got that microkorg for $100 like 5 years ago and underestimated the effects of a summer in the southern united states with no garage . For sure won't put the minilogue in my car like that lol.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I would just get another microkorg, or maybe a used JD XI if you want to switch it up

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

A MIRACLE posted:

I would just get another microkorg, or maybe a used JD XI if you want to switch it up

Is there any reason to get the Microkorg S over the original? Is it any different from the original aside from the built in speakers?

I tried the JD XI a few years back at a guitar center and was not impressed. The digital synths and drums just weren't doing it for me. Maybe it was just the crappy m-audio guitar center monitors but compared to the micro-brute next to it on the same speakers it just sounded super weak.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

64bit_Dophins posted:

I also don't care for his videos just because his voice gets on my nerves. Still pretty useful for checking out newer synths but he's no Sonic Lab baldy that's for sure.

I instinctively hate him because he looks and sounds exactly like every gormless rich boy hippy I ever met at crappy free gigs, and second rate indie film festivals, but if you get past the annoying intros the dude knows his stuff.

In other news, I picked up a Roland JV-2080 recently and this thing loving rules. If you like dated 90s style romplers and 'song of the dolphin' style pads then its a definite two thumbs up.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

BeigeJacket posted:

In other news, I picked up a Roland JV-2080 recently and this thing loving rules. If you like dated 90s style romplers and 'song of the dolphin' style pads then its a definite two thumbs up.

I’ll agree, except I own the JD-990.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Cuckoo has ASMR voice but he seems like a cool dude. It’s been nice to watch his channel get more popular. Some of his songs would be better without the singing.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

BeigeJacket posted:

I instinctively hate him because he looks and sounds exactly like every gormless rich boy hippy I ever met at crappy free gigs, and second rate indie film festivals, but if you get past the annoying intros the dude knows his stuff.

I do love 90s Romplers and I have eyed them before.

Out of curiosity are you referring to these pads? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2ek5nZAjVk

He really does look like a Trustafarian that's for sure. Reminds me of the guys in college that used to annoy me by flirting with my college photographer gf at "basement shows" and "film viewing parties". Once you get past that he does know his stuff.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

BeigeJacket posted:

Yup, it's an awesome album

https://open.spotify.com/album/0aGxVqBu6Zf95Zu7r3pNy8

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

I scored a local Ensoniq SQ-80 for $150. I don't understand how these things aren't $2000. The best of weird eighties digital and analog, can sound very vintage analog or insanely weird digital. And it's a joy to work on even though it has the one data slider.

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
:ssh:

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Transistor Rhythm posted:

I scored a local Ensoniq SQ-80 for $150. I don't understand how these things aren't $2000. The best of weird eighties digital and analog, can sound very vintage analog or insanely weird digital. And it's a joy to work on even though it has the one data slider.

Yeah, I got an ESQ-1 for, like, $300 or something a couple of years ago. I guess the GS-stigma of digital oscs keeps the price low or something.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

In all fairness there are several of them on ebay approaching $800-$1000. If I ever saw one for $150-250 I'd buy it without question. My roommate in college had one for awhile and it was a lot of fun. Definitely underrated.

I'm looking at microbrutes again lol. Is it worth the extra $200 or so to just get the minibrute instead? I'm worried that I'll be disappointed by the microbrtue.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Everything in this post applies to the DW-8000 as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Bh_xr_5DPw

Criminally underrated.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

HotCanadianChick posted:

Everything in this post applies to the DW-8000 as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Bh_xr_5DPw

Criminally underrated.

Sounds like a fatter version of the Poly-800

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

64bit_Dophins posted:

Sounds like a fatter version of the Poly-800

Same filters IIRC, though it actually has 8 filters (one per voice) unlike the Poly-800, which shared one filter for all 8 voices (thus technically making it a paraphonic synth, not a true poly).

I had, and tossed a Poly-800; it’s garbage compared to the DW, especially when the DW can be had for not much more money than the $100 you occasionally see P800s going for.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
ESQ-crew 4life. Sounds great, multi-timbral, polychaining, good sequencer. Quit talking about how great they are gosh.
I've still got a cigar box of the old E2 tapes but I think there's a dude who's done repros of the old maartist multi-carts. Although there's not much to them if you want to put one together.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
i liked my esq-1 because i managed to make a little money in the middle of a lean summer

but man, opening that thing up to look at the battery was :stare:

every corner was cut it felt like, i liked the sound of it but after seeing the insides of it i couldnt get rid of it fast enough :shrug:

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

64bit_Dophins posted:

I do love 90s Romplers and I have eyed them before.

Out of curiosity are you referring to these pads? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2ek5nZAjVk

Wasn’t specifically referring to that d n b tune (those synths sound a bit glitchier than the 2080, which is buttery smoooth) more the generic new age, ambient swells you can wash your brain in.

I’ve only messed around with tweaking the presets thus far, I need to learn how to program something from scratch.

Incredible record. Not gonna lie it was legowelt that made me get one of these things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kH1zlgPoA4

BeigeJacket fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Sep 19, 2018

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

byob historian posted:

every corner was cut it felt like, i liked the sound of it but after seeing the insides of it i couldnt get rid of it fast enough :shrug:

Ensoniq certainly built to a price point. Otoh, at this point all the usual faults are known. Samples still breathing are hardy. The display driver and VFD I worry about but not that much. Power should be addressed/changed on most things their age regardless.
I figure by the time mine die some crazy dude will have rare part repros or P12/P-Xs will have reached ensoniq prices. Looking at where Junos are hell maybe I’ll be able to trade for a prophet lol.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

BeigeJacket posted:

Wasn’t specifically referring to that d n b tune (those synths sound a bit glitchier than the 2080, which is buttery smoooth) more the generic new age, ambient swells you can wash your brain in.

I’ve only messed around with tweaking the presets thus far, I need to learn how to program something from scratch.

Incredible record. Not gonna lie it was legowelt that made me get one of these things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kH1zlgPoA4

Oh ok yeah I wasn't sure if you were referring to a specific song or a general sound/feel.

Legowelt is a cool guy he plays synth and don't afraid of anything.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

listen everybody should just own an ms-2000 its like $300 and does everything. also sounds mad all the time.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

magiccarpet posted:

listen everybody should just own an ms-2000 its like $300 and does everything. also sounds mad all the time.

It’ll treat you hella good :smuggo:
e: or was that a Nord I forget now. Whatev

Startyde fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Sep 20, 2018

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

magiccarpet posted:

I've wanted one of those since I first even got into music. I still can't go buying synths atm but I definitely would love one of these.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I got a digitone it’s pretty nice. It’s my only synth now. I have two drum machines, an mfb 522 and a dr 110.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

A MIRACLE posted:

I got a digitone it’s pretty nice. It’s my only synth now. I have two drum machines, an mfb 522 and a dr 110.

Do you like the MFB 522? I've been thinking about getting one as my first drum machine. Had a buddy in college that had one and I got to mess around with it for awhile and loved it. Did you buy it from Analog Heaven?

Also in what ways is the MS-2000 different from the Microkorg? Aren't they more or less the same synth? I understand the MS-2000 has a much better user interface (because it has more than 5 usable knobs) but doesn't it have the same sound processor in it? Is there a big difference between the sounds of the two?

CerealKilla420 fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Sep 20, 2018

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

magiccarpet posted:

Already got one :smuggo:

BTW; I've been looking for a bag/soft case to put this bastard in, and can't see anything. Any ideas?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

64bit_Dophins posted:

Do you like the MFB 522? I've been thinking about getting one as my first drum machine. Had a buddy in college that had one and I got to mess around with it for awhile and loved it. Did you buy it from Analog Heaven?

I bought it on Craigslist. It’s really nice :)

It’s better than a real 808 because it’s about the size of a 3x5 notecard. Huge sound which is hilarious coming out of such a tiny box. I like that it has a bunch of outputs even though I only use the stereo jack right now. There’s a bit of hard wired panning on it that I like too.

The only downside is no battery power or mono output mix so if you want to run it through mono pedals take that into consideration. I have it routed to stereo in on the digitone right now

Have a look at the newer ones like the tanzbar lite and the tanzmaus too. They have parameter locking which is neat. I really want a tanzmaus

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

A MIRACLE posted:

I bought it on Craigslist. It’s really nice :)

It’s better than a real 808 because it’s about the size of a 3x5 notecard. Huge sound which is hilarious coming out of such a tiny box. I like that it has a bunch of outputs even though I only use the stereo jack right now. There’s a bit of hard wired panning on it that I like too.

The only downside is no battery power or mono output mix so if you want to run it through mono pedals take that into consideration. I have it routed to stereo in on the digitone right now

Have a look at the newer ones like the tanzbar lite and the tanzmaus too. They have parameter locking which is neat. I really want a tanzmaus

Oh man the Tanzmaus looks excellent. Very tempted to get one 0_o

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

I think a lot of people sleep on mfb because the fit and finish isn’t amazing but the modules I’ve got from them have been great. The dominion is certainly better feeling than the old drum boxes but it’s not like Mini luxurious or anything.
Dual LFO is still my favorite small lfo, VCA same. Shame I think they killed the dual adsr that was great if you use the doepfer bus.

content
Feb 13, 2014

Plavski posted:

Behringer MS-101 spotted in the wild with a highly suspect rumoured price of $199.

:eyepop:

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

So a accurate SH-101 clone that's well built for $200? I'll believe it when I see it but the demos make it look very promising. I might wait for this thing to come out before I pull the trigger on another microkorg.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
The Tanzmaus is techno/house in a box.
It is weird as gently caress to program. If you don't play it for week you'll completely forget how to do anything because everything is button combos.
I mean, there isn't even a dedicated play button - it's a button combo to start/stop...wtf?

Watch this video to see how wonky it is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEmE_-isRGM

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Oldstench posted:

The Tanzmaus is techno/house in a box.
It is weird as gently caress to program. If you don't play it for week you'll completely forget how to do anything because everything is button combos.
I mean, there isn't even a dedicated play button - it's a button combo to start/stop...wtf?

Watch this video to see how wonky it is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEmE_-isRGM

I don't understand why you have to press the shift key to start and stop the sequence but other than that it seems pretty cool. When I use synths most of the time I just send them midi data from ableton live anyways so this isn't a huge deal. Also that video makes it appear at least somewhat straight-forward albeit a little bit incontinent.

The sounds are top notch and it seems like it's minty af. Gear Satan is on my shoulder talking in my ear again... :(

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

64bit_Dophins posted:

So a accurate SH-101 clone that's well built for $200? I'll believe it when I see it but the demos make it look very promising. I might wait for this thing to come out before I pull the trigger on another microkorg.

I believe it, this is Uli, it “has to” be cheaper than the Roland boutique.
Well built, well... to be seen I suppose.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Can I wear it like a keytar

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

A MIRACLE posted:

Can I wear it like a keytar

You can as it comes with an adapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Dammit Uli stop making me regret my $800 in Boutiques ya jackass. :argh:

At least they’re kawaii.