Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

I bought a load of cable clips for £2 and ran the cable along under the edge of my desk top to my rig to keep the wire from dangling. It's easy to unclip when I want to jump around the room shooting robots too.

I don't know what games you're running but I got bad motion sickness until I found and turned off "head bobbing" etc. Those effects are entirely unnecessary in VR and just serve as a vomit inducer. Other than that it was just getting used to it. There are a couple of good anti-fogging solutions out there dependant on what headset you own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Wait, there are VR games that have head bobbing? I getting sick even thinking about this :barf:

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

tuo posted:

Wait, there are VR games that have head bobbing? I getting sick even thinking about this :barf:

iRacing has a couple of settings to simulate going over kerbs/bumps etc that I had to dial down when I switched to VR. I haven't played any other games but I imagine they do as well.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

NtotheTC posted:

iRacing has a couple of settings to simulate going over kerbs/bumps etc that I had to dial down when I switched to VR. I haven't played any other games but I imagine they do as well.

Ah, okay, I know now what you mean. I haven't played iRacing that much in VR. In the sims I play, the heave movement is not that a big of a deal (to my VR legs) because the whole cockpit moves together with it, so I have a focus point so I don't get sick.

I developed some good VR legs though (mostly by coding my own VR demos for customers, and of course loving up now and then during testing, so I guess my brain goes into some kind of "the idiot did VR again, let's brace for impact"-mode as soon as I put the headset on).

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there
After a few hundred hours in VR it takes a pretty serious glitch to make me queasy. Playing games with touchpad movement creates an iron stomach.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

InevitableCheese posted:

After a few hundred hours in VR it takes a pretty serious glitch to make me queasy. Playing games with touchpad movement creates an iron stomach.

Movement or teleporting.. I can't play minecraft for poo poo.. I get queezy in like 10 mins. iRacing I've never had any issue with. Teleport movement I've never had any issue with.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

InevitableCheese posted:

Doom VR with touchpad controls. It redefines "learning curve", but it was worth it. Also Minecraft with directional controls and falling down a rift.

Also Dirt Ralley.

e: Minecraft is one of my top VR games now, and I only play it with directional movement, no teleport. I'm so proud of myself. (*hides the buckets of barf behind him)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

InevitableCheese posted:

Same, although if it drops to like 45fps I start to get real sweaty and feel weird

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
In DH mountain biking when you go down into a dip at speed and it kinda presses your suspension down, we call that a G-out. Same term used for buggies that ride the big sand dunes. That transition going down I to a valley at speed and then hitting the bowl and coming back out is a G-out.

So my biggest VR upset is on the 'Ring in assetto, there are 2 g outs that I hit especially when using the 787B... My body expects to brace for that feeling because I'm so used to it IRL. So when that happens in game it breaks immersion and immediately my lenses fog up and I start to sweat. Now granted in the 10 months I've owned VR I've probably spent about 4 hours total. And those 4 hours have been fighting with cords and playing with AA settings. Which is why I mentioned triple monitor.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Has anyone done a Fanatec CSW and Playseat combo? I really want to go direct drive eventually, but I can't justify a new racecar chair at the moment.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

jonathan posted:

Now granted in the 10 months I've owned VR I've probably spent about 4 hours total. And those 4 hours have been fighting with cords and playing with AA settings. Which is why I mentioned triple monitor.

I mean at the end of the day you should do what feels more comfortable for you, but I'd recommend not giving up on vr after only 4 hours. I spent at least 10 hours in racing games and at least 10 more playing other vr games before I was "settled" and no longer getting queasy

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Minto Took posted:

Has anyone done a Fanatec CSW and Playseat combo? I really want to go direct drive eventually, but I can't justify a new racecar chair at the moment.

Yes? Its fine. I upgraded my seat so I wouldn't have a bar between my legs, but I got by fine with the playseat. There's some play in the wheel but not so much it ever bothered me at all. Still pretty firm.

Magnaflux
Jun 28, 2007
Chrono.gg is having a week long sale of racing games.

Asetto Corsa Competizione is $19

Automobilista is $6

Asetto Corsa is $10 (no dlc as far as I can tell)

Project Cars 2 is $15 (no dlc as far as I can tell)

F1 2018 is $45

The Crew 2 is $33

New games are being added every day this week.

https://www.chrono.gg

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

jonathan posted:

And i fog up the lenses as a side effect of motion sickness.

jonathan posted:

So my biggest VR upset is on the 'Ring in assetto, there are 2 g outs that I hit especially when using the 787B... My body expects to brace for that feeling because I'm so used to it IRL. So when that happens in game it breaks immersion and immediately my lenses fog up and I start to sweat.

Just out of curiosity, what is going on with your face?

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

Yes? Its fine. I upgraded my seat so I wouldn't have a bar between my legs, but I got by fine with the playseat. There's some play in the wheel but not so much it ever bothered me at all. Still pretty firm.

Yeah, I already have a Playseat/G27 combo and the wheel bar is enough of a pain in the rear end that something 80/20 is in the future.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Jenny Agutter posted:

Just out of curiosity, what is going on with your face?
People usually get cold sweats when they get nausea.
Massive on-your-side shunts in Dirt Rally still get me a little, but 99% of hardcore VR content I'm OK with after driving buggies in Elite Dangerous which is about as vomit inducing as it gets.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Khablam posted:

People usually get cold sweats when they get nausea.
Massive on-your-side shunts in Dirt Rally still get me a little, but 99% of hardcore VR content I'm OK with after driving buggies in Elite Dangerous which is about as vomit inducing as it gets.

Okay but how does that translate into foggy lenses. Are their sweat pores little misting nozzles?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jenny Agutter posted:

Okay but how does that translate into foggy lenses. Are their sweat pores little misting nozzles?

Are you being serious right now?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Obviously not about the pores but otherwise yes. I've never had foggy vr lenses and am curious why nausea would create them

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Nausea causes sweating, sweating creates moisture, that moisture evaporates and then condenses onto the cooler lenses.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yesh but my lenses are hot and make me sweat which makes my lenses fog up... Fight me... Nerds.

Mostly I'm just sad ive got some time before I can wheel.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

How is there that much of a temperature delta between a face and a thing <1" in front of it, a thing that is also being heated by the electronics behind it. Is it being used in a freezer or smth. Turn up your thermostat

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

When my friends are trying to give me Arabian goggles and I'm driving on a bumpy road the motions sickness cold sweats and their hot ball sweat make a raincloud and it fogs up my glasses AND my headset.

Basically I'm saying all this fogging lense chat is about as dumb as saying what the Right fov is most correct.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jenny Agutter posted:

How is there that much of a temperature delta between a face and a thing <1" in front of it, a thing that is also being heated by the electronics behind it. Is it being used in a freezer or smth. Turn up your thermostat

Well, the goggles are somewhat sealed around the face, and the lenses are really close to the eyes, so the air volume inside the goggles is very small making any sort of moisture a quick way to fog up the lenses on my Lenovo headset.

I'm not a sweaty person, but I am easily triggered into motion sickness by riding passenger in a car, being on river jet boats(the worst) or VR which I am good with if I keep the room cool with a breeze from a fan, and get the settings correct for the game.

Also upgrading from a 1070 to a 1080ti made a HUGE difference.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

NtotheTC posted:

I mean at the end of the day you should do what feels more comfortable for you, but I'd recommend not giving up on vr after only 4 hours. I spent at least 10 hours in racing games and at least 10 more playing other vr games before I was "settled" and no longer getting queasy

Don't get me wrong. The most immersion I've ever had in a game is VR lapping on the touristfarten(hahaha) of Nurburgring.

I don't want to give up VR, I just feel like I'd be more social and participate in gooncar stuff more often if I could just jump into my cockpit with triple monitors. But knowing me, I'd probably set up the monitors and then wish for VR after a few days.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Jenny Agutter posted:

Your skin is ~34c and ergo so is the water vapour?
This is an example of knowing a little and extrapolating poorly.

If you want to minimize nausea, use the Oculus debug tool and enable the performance overlay. Adjust the same settings/SS until you can be comfortably above 90fps at all times.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Jenny Agutter posted:

The cold sweats increase the humidity in that space between your eyeballs and the lens. When warm moist air hits a cold surface like a lens you get condensation i.e. fogging. Basic physics poo poo that also happens sometimes with sky goggles even those are usually better vented.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Khablam posted:

Your skin is ~34c and ergo so is the water vapour?
This is an example of knowing a little and extrapolating poorly.

If you want to minimize nausea, use the Oculus debug tool and enable the performance overlay. Adjust the same settings/SS until you can be comfortably above 90fps at all times.

I use the steam VR options menu for SS. I'm on windows mixed reality though so everything is a convoluted hack.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

jonathan posted:

Don't get me wrong. The most immersion I've ever had in a game is VR lapping on the touristfarten(hahaha) of Nurburgring.

I don't want to give up VR, I just feel like I'd be more social and participate in gooncar stuff more often if I could just jump into my cockpit with triple monitors. But knowing me, I'd probably set up the monitors and then wish for VR after a few days.

I pretty much hated VR for sim racing and gave it up after only a few hours of hotlapping. Res is just not there yet. I gave up my 3 monitor setup because I was doing the whole VR Room Scale thing with the Vive and needed the room. I figured if I just use VR, I can tuck the cockpit in the corner and go back to my lovely computer desk. Once I got back into racing, I switched to putting my wheel in front of a giant TV (first a 46", and now a stupidly huge 65" that does 120Hz), and I'm super happy with it.

You might also look into an ultra wide gaming monitor. There are 144Hz versions that look pretty bad rear end mounted in front of a cockpit.

When VR doubles its current resolution and makes the helmets much, much lighter, I may go back in. Until then I quite like simming at 120Hz that takes up most of my peripheral vision anyway.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

The blurry vision is more than acceptable to me for the depth perception VR gives.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Minto Took posted:

The blurry vision is more than acceptable to me for the depth perception VR gives.

This is how I feel. Vr is terrible but the depth perception and turning my head is awesome.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Yeah, also as someone said, vr is great if you have limited room

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004
The depth perception and immersion outweigh the horrible resolution, but being able to have your wheel set up permanently away from the computer desk is a huge plus. Racing games without VR support are basically a no-go these days just for the inconvenience of having to move the wheel back and forth.

Thanks for the heads up on the ACC sale- bought in anticipation of VR support next month...

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

buttkicker trip report: bought one since it was slightly on sale for $130. also bought a license for SRS since a license is less than half of what SimVibe charges, and the modelling seems sufficient (unfortunately there's no demo for SimVibe so I couldn't compare). It def adds realism, though it doesn't make you any faster, so I'm glad I also upgraded to load cell brakes.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Why isn't force feedback brake pedal a thing ?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

jonathan posted:

Why isn't force feedback brake pedal a thing ?

I’m sure you can get it for some great expense but it’s only something that would come into play if you have abs. And most people do not run abs.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Clubsport v3s have abs "rumble" I think but people have mentioned it's not really worth the cost and makes taking them apart to adjust the springs really fiddly

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

NtotheTC posted:

Clubsport v3s have abs "rumble" I think but people have mentioned it's not really worth the cost and makes taking them apart to adjust the springs really fiddly

It's nice to have. But I agree, fiddling with the pedals is a pain in the rear end with the two rumble motors (one for ABS, one for oversteer).

As stupid and unrealistic the oversteer rumble is, though, it's quite usefull.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

KidDynamite posted:

I’m sure you can get it for some great expense but it’s only something that would come into play if you have abs. And most people do not run abs.

ABS is one use, but sensing when the pads are hitting the rotor is another one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derk
Sep 24, 2004

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Don't post in this thread unless you've spent over 2k on a sim rig alone.

I want to see this rig of yours.