Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Chris Knight posted:

The 30cm deep Ivar is very needs-suiting.

Can concur. Only downside is if you're looking for affordable and nice, presentable looking shelving, as opposed to semi pricey (depending on how big you go) and industrial. Though it is untreated wood, so if you wanted to you could certainly get varnish or paint, put in the work, and have something nicer looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Chris Knight posted:

The 30cm deep Ivar is very needs-suiting.

Ivar may be what I end up going with. These galants look great, but I need my spare money going to scotch and lego :homebrew:

veni veni veni posted:

The thing that sucks is trying to find wall shelves that are wide enough to hold UCS and modular sets.

This is exactly my conundrum. I have 2 modulars and am looking to catch up to current at a rate of 2/year, the Spaceshipx3, the Saturn V, assorted minifig-ish scale SW ships including the 7965 Millennium Falcon, and I need to make room for the 75192 which is the whole reason for this endeavor.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The thing the Billy bookcases had going for them was the ability to add glass doors. Saves the dusting nightmare on modulars.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Besta is 40cm deep, modular (variety of door types) and I use it for Lego and transformer display and tuck, it's even deep enough for most boardgames

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Mrs. Doctor just told me to take the deep Billys from our living room and get replacements for them at the regular depth. So that's a nice get.

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

I’ve been wanting to get a Billy for my bedroom. This might be a stupid question, but the nearest ikea is 3.5 hrs away so I’ve never seen one in person yet, but what’s the difference between a Billy with glass doors and a Billy/Oxford like it’s listed on the app. Both seem to be the same size and all, are they both the same but just different wording? The billyoxford is 20 bucks cheaper

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The Oxberg line is the doors and panels, the billy is the thing itself. So the price difference is buying a [Billy+Oxberg] set vs Buying the pieces separately. It's likely a sales or logistics tactic (Going by Dutch Ikea here).

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.
I started with the deeper Ekby Bjarnum shelves but hated the color choices for the shelving units. Untreated stair treads from Home Depot, with the round edge cut off with a table saw, are the exact dimensions to go into the brackets and look great once they're stained/polyed/painted. They're also sturdy enough that you can use hooks to hang things underneath. I have the Lego Batman Batwing, Spaceshipx3 and the Infinity War Milano hanging underneath the set of three in my office.

Only problem with the setup is there's no stopping the dust.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I built the Statue of Liberty over the weekend, anyone noticed issues with color consistency anywhere else? Don't know that I've ever seen this.

It's not the light angle either, those pieces were darker no matter how I turned them or held them in the light.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

xzzy posted:

I built the Statue of Liberty over the weekend, anyone noticed issues with color consistency anywhere else? Don't know that I've ever seen this.

It's not the light angle either, those pieces were darker no matter how I turned them or held them in the light.

Teal in the diner has the same issue.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

lol, the landing pad and Carbonite platform on the Cloud City set aren't even attached to the rest of the structure. What a piece of poo poo.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Is there any difference in the carbonite section and the stand alone carbonite set that was discontinued earlier this year?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

duz posted:

Is there any difference in the carbonite section and the stand alone carbonite set that was discontinued earlier this year?

It's the full platform, the mechanism to transform Han is different.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Dude made a minifig scale Gundam, 10k+ pieces. Lepin put up a presale page for it so he's pissed off and has been deleting WIP pics.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
That's pretty cool, but his X-Men TAS-era Sentinel is something else:

Habibi fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 18, 2018

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

duz posted:

Dude made a minifig scale Gundam, 10k+ pieces. Lepin put up a presale page for it so he's pissed off and has been deleting WIP pics.

Sucks, but on the other hand, there was no way Lego was going to make this. So at least his creation is going to be out there for others to enjoy.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

Sucks, but on the other hand, there was no way Lego was going to make this. So at least his creation is going to be out there for others to enjoy.

Uh, no, it just sucks.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Lepin gotta make a buck somehow because they've been losing lawsuits against Lego. Of course they're going to go exploit the people who can't afford to sue them.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe
Inspired by this thread, I just went in fairly hard on Sterilite 2093 and 2073 drawer units to try to better organize my hoard. Thanks in advance for the future hours lost to sorting.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

xzzy posted:

Lepin gotta make a buck somehow

I mean, they could try not stealing intellectual property. That could be a thing they do.

This is going to discourage creators from sharing WIP pics in the future, and as such it's pretty poo poo. Not to mention that Lepin's QC means that it's unlikely that their version will go together, much less stay together for more than a little while. Everyone loses!

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Habibi posted:

That's pretty cool, but his X-Men TAS-era Sentinel is something else:

That Sentinel is awesome but entirely too big for minifigure scale.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

xzzy posted:

Lepin gotta make a buck somehow because they've been losing lawsuits against Lego. Of course they're going to go exploit the people who can't afford to sue them.

Lego might have won those lawsuits, but good luck getting China to enforce copyright protection.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I thought Lepin was starting some new company that would license MOCs to sell?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

That's Xing Bao, it already exists but it hasn't done anything new in awhile.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The Rage posted:

That Sentinel is awesome but entirely too big for minifigure scale.

It's Master Mold!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Does anyone have a 9495 Leia they would trade to me? Maybe for some CMFs or a small set or something? I'll hook you up.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Cars for charity are ready, y'all!

I made 8 of my cars, 2 per color of 4 different designs, to raise money for the Cancer Research Foundation. I did this because people have been interested in my designs and I am super flattered by that, and wanted to offer people a chance to own them without this turning into a thing I do for profit.

These are made of 99% new and unused pieces, sourced 95% directly from LEGO using Bricks and Pieces, and 5% from Bricklink. Instructions will be provided (digital, not printed), and when all have been sold, I'll just release instructions for everyone. I have a hard cost of $31.72 per car, so they will be sold for $60 each - with all net profits, $28.28 each, going directly to the Cancer Research Foundation.

On a personal note, I lost my mom to cancer a few years ago. I've been watching a lot of Games Done Quick lately, wishing I was good enough at something to raise money for charity, when I had this idea. It's very much a passion project for me.

Any that I am not able to sell myself will be donated to Creations For Charity in November.

1968 Oldsmobile 442

Available: Dark Bluish Gray
Sold: Red

1970 Oldsmobile 442 W30

Available: Blue
Sold: Yellow

1970 Chevrolet Camaro RS/Z28

Sold: White, Black
Warning for the faint of heart: this build uses a couple ~illegal techniques~!

1972 Datsun 240z

Available: Red
Sold: White

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Oct 14, 2018

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Those are all very cool. Are they first come first serve? Or are you going to raffle off the chance to buy one?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Orvin posted:

Those are all very cool. Are they first come first serve? Or are you going to raffle off the chance to buy one?
First come, first served. Hadn't considered a raffle or limits or anything 'cause I don't know how popular they'll be and I don't want to be presumptuous, ha. And ultimately, it's for charity, so if they sell quick that's only a good thing.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Black Camaro please, thanks

My body is ready for illegal techniques

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

Those are great. None of the cars speak to me on a personal level so others should buy them quick so I'm not tempered to change my mind.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Dogen posted:

Black Camaro please, thanks

My body is ready for illegal techniques

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
These are gonna go fast. I'll help by claiming the yellow Olds

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Carbohydrates posted:

Cars for charity are ready, y'all!

Cars aren't really my thing, but this is cool and you are cool for doing it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

deoju posted:

Cars aren't really my thing, but this is cool and you are cool for doing it.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I am really hoping that someone buys the Blue Olds soon. I like the looks of it, but I have bought a bunch of LEGO stuff recently, and should give my wallet a breather.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

LEGO tax write-off!

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Carbohydrates posted:

First come, first served. Hadn't considered a raffle or limits or anything 'cause I don't know how popular they'll be and I don't want to be presumptuous, ha. And ultimately, it's for charity, so if they sell quick that's only a good thing.

Your work is fantastic and the cause is wonderful, you are a good person. If you ever do a RX-7 I would buy that in a absolute heart beat.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
I recently discovered this piece and am surprised i have never seen it mentioned anywhere in the contect of MOCing.

Its a powerful piece to create angled designs and the piece itself is very rigid so the designs will be less flimsy than e.g. certain hinged solutions.
Its literally the only piece with studs at an angle to each other. Plenty of pieces have wedge shapes, there is an entire category of wedges, but all their studs are parallel, unlike this piece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
When it was first released(iirc it first showed up in some ninjago stuff) people went nuts over it. It's a decent piece but kinda awkward to use effectively and the two cross-bars can pretty obnoxiously impede other pieces.