Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Applesnots posted:

There are no curry rules.

Unironically, this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Applesnots posted:

There are no curry rules.

buT THERE ARE CHILI RULES!

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
I made a gallon and a half of what I call "Standard Chili" on Sunday, and, after my family destroyed it, as of today, I have about 8 ounces left.

3 lbs lean (-ish) ground beef
1 large onion (~ 4" diameter), minced
4 bulbs fresh garlic (~ 12 cloves), minced
1 8 oz can Great Northern beans (slightly drained)
1 8 oz can Kidney beans (slightly drained)
24 (-ish) oz of tomato sauce
4 oz tomato paste
8 minced Tabasco peppers, with seeds *
liberal sliced green, red, or yellow peppers
Cumin to taste
Chili powder to taste
Liquid smoke to taste
Water as needed to maintain consistency

Brown ground beef until "medium rare", and drain (you want a little bit of fat in there). Add onion, and garlic, mix and reheat until onions are tender. Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, and all beans. Top up with water to your desired consistency. Bring to boil, and then reduce to simmer (the lowest flame you can get on a gas burner without it going out) for ~5 hours. Stir as much as you can find the time to. Sample frequently. Add green peppers at the 4 hour simmer mark. Add spices through the cooking as needed by taste test. Add liquid smoke to taste in the last hour.

* this is usually a contention between my wife and me. I think 8 is just enough heat, and she thinks 8 is border line "skin off my lips" heat, so I vary based on who's eating it the most. I have to be more careful with the Cayenne we grow.

BlankIsBeautiful has a new favorite as of 19:44 on Sep 18, 2018

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
there are no food rules

only food fascists

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Iron Crowned posted:

buT THERE ARE CHILI RULES!

Curry=Chili
So no rules.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

sneakyfrog posted:

there are no food rules

only food fascists

Quit trying to curry favor with the food anarchists

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i dunno man, most anarchists ive met are broke as gently caress i usually can just take em to a quality darden foods establishment for that.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i am the guy on the left going dude.... dafuq

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I love that he has to make someone else taste every banana crime he commits since he's allergic to them.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Applesnots posted:

Chili is just kinda like an American curry.

This post made me have a moment of deep personal realization, and I am glad I was sitting down.

Thank you

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

I (more or less) followed a chili recipe from this guy. I liked it. The secret ingredient was a shitton of dried hot peppers that were deseeded and torn up, toasted in a skillet, pureed into a fine powder, and then turned into a spice paste before being added to the pot. Along with the beer and cocoa powder, it was drat good.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
If we're sharing chili recipes now, here's what I usually do for a crock pot of chili (may or may not belong in this thread):

2ish pounds of pork ribs (bone in)
4 14.5oz cans of diced tomatoes
a head of garlic, beat to poo poo with the flat of your knife
1 red onion, diced
4 serranos, diced
3 habaneros, chopped
4 poblanos, diced
1 jar (12oz or so) of green or kalamata olives, chopped up as much as you like
~4oz achiote
garlic powder, onion powder, chipotle powder, oregano, and chile de arbol to taste, probably like 1/3c of spices in total
1 beer, something darker like a brown ale or stout

Sear off the pork ribs in whatever fat you like. Sweat the garlic/onions/peppers until they are soft, throw a little salt on them so some water comes out. Drain the brine out of the olives, toss them in at the end just so the flavors mix together a bit. Put all this into a crock pot with two of the cans of tomatoes, the achiote, and about half of the herbs & spices. Put the rack of ribs on top of this, then cover that with the rest of the herbs & spices and tomatoes. Pour the beer on top. Stick the loaded crock pot in the fridge overnight. The next morning, take it out and set it to low, put the lid just slightly off so a little liquid can cook out, and go to work. When you come home your house will smell delicious and you will have a bucket of food-style chili product.

Yawgmoth has a new favorite as of 20:37 on Sep 18, 2018

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Curry and chips is a classic of the British greasy spoon.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Whole lot of scrub tier chili itt. Lemme show y'all the new hotness

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Code Jockey posted:

This post made me have a moment of deep personal realization, and I am glad I was sitting down.

Thank you

I dont know if you are joking.
But if you are not, then thanks. :)

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Randaconda posted:

gently caress, I remember this from like 2006 and GWS losing their poo poo over it, both each individual panel and the thing as a whole.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Randaconda posted:

:murder:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
chili is totally american curry

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Randaconda posted:

I think the part of this that I find the oddest, other than the edginess, is how he still wears his watch on his dominant hand but on the inside.

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009

Yawgmoth posted:

gently caress, I remember this from like 2006 and GWS losing their poo poo over it, both each individual panel and the thing as a whole.

I have a hard time deciding between "You threw away the premix spices to make the exact thing with separate powdered spices" or "A half an onion and pepper are you loving kidding me?" being my favorite part.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Rules. (in it's own weird way)

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

GrandpaPants posted:

Do people normally eat curry with rice? I just thought that was just something weird I do (because I guess I was subconsciously curryizing it).

I meant chili, not curry :shobon:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

GrandpaPants posted:

I wondered how you curry-ized curry.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Crackers in chili? Collect yourselves.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Sanguinary Novel posted:

I have a hard time deciding between "You threw away the premix spices to make the exact thing with separate powdered spices" or "A half an onion and pepper are you loving kidding me?" being my favorite part.
For me it's definitely the "throw out the spice envelope to make the same thing from the same brand" but a close second goes to the canned green beans.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Applesnots posted:

I think the part of this that I find the oddest, other than the edginess, is how he still wears his watch on his dominant hand but on the inside.

That's a tryhard "operator" thing.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Pastitsio is good.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yes exactly. Though I'm not sure about that right can. Especially if it says "chili and spaghetti" like I think it says. Because that's an affront.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

GrandpaPants posted:

It definitely works, but I feel like it becomes a different dish somehow. I think because it inevitably blends with the rice in a way that it doesn't with bread, crackers, corn chips, etc.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Yawgmoth posted:

For me it's definitely the "throw out the spice envelope to make the same thing from the same brand" but a close second goes to the canned green beans.

Don’t forget the flour and sugar!

RBA Starblade posted:

That's a tryhard "operator" thing.

I’ve never known a single actual SOF person do that but I guess that doesn’t have much bearing on what tryhards will do.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Yawgmoth posted:

Canned green beans are literally the worst bean.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Picnic Princess posted:

Canned green beans are literally the worst bean.

:emptyquote:

ricketyvickyt
Sep 9, 2010
Banana pizza anyone??

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Manuel Calavera posted:

Yes exactly. Though I'm not sure about that right can. Especially if it says "chili and spaghetti" like I think it says. Because that's an affront.

Got to have spaghetti with Cincinnati chili, because it's a Greek dish.

No, none of that makes sense until you eat it, then it all makes sense.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

AlbieQuirky posted:

Got to have spaghetti with Cincinnati chili, because it's a Greek dish.

No, none of that makes sense until you eat it, then it all makes sense.

My coworkers have sworn to inflict this on me when I go to our headquarters in December. I am full of trepidation.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Tendai posted:

My coworkers have sworn to inflict this on me when I go to our headquarters in December. I am full of trepidation.

The hot dogs are a superior form than the pasta imo, though the pasta is more authentic to the Greek original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

In Italy I can do whatever the gently caress I please, suck it down