Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

MourningView posted:

They just wanted to make documentaries and used ESPN's tendency to self mythologize to give it an overarching hook and make it more likely to get green lit. I don't think they actually cared about the anniversary beyond that.

They tried to change the name after the first batch since it didn't really make sense anymore but people got mad so they went back it it.

They've also just retroactively rebranded those with the 30 for 30 branding now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/wcbs880/status/1041674308454674432?s=21

so in the end the mets and yankees merely traded stations

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

They’re on AM radio?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/ForTheWin/status/1041776011397001216

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

His reading of it is so disappointing

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

His reading of it is so disappointing

it is incredibly heartening, nothing would be more disappointing than stephen a being able to understand why that was funny

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Follow up question should've been "what was IMG_4643?"

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

stephen a (and most of the other tv sports yellers) have no self-awareness and no idea why their grim yelling about sports is ridiculous and not important, you can tell Stephen A is moderately annoyed about impressions of him but he's able to allow some of them if the person doing it is Important and Famous

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah Stephen A was this self important when he wasn’t famous.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

MourningView posted:

Show him the Holocaust one too you cowards

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

sportsgenius86 posted:

They’re on AM radio?

I imagine all the major metro teams are, because their broadcast range is incredible. WGN radio helped the Cubs reach as far as they did - I could listen to them in northern WI on vacation. And you could supposedly hear them in FL and CO on good nights.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Deathlove posted:

I imagine all the major metro teams are, because their broadcast range is incredible. WGN radio helped the Cubs reach as far as they did - I could listen to them in northern WI on vacation. And you could supposedly hear them in FL and CO on good nights.

Brewers and packers both are on a.m., and they're both in the smallest markets for both their sports.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

iospace posted:

Brewers and packers both are on a.m., and they're both in the smallest markets for both their sports.

For another small market comparison the Royals are on AM (and Sporting KC if anyone cares about them), but the Chiefs are on FM in Kansas City.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
https://youtu.be/hR_Mu8DfRDY

https://youtu.be/x4NCTwZ1-dw

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Vertical Lime posted:

https://twitter.com/wcbs880/status/1041674308454674432?s=21

so in the end the mets and yankees merely traded stations

they lost the FM rebroadcast

which of course means you get John Sterling in wonderful clarity

so its for the best

Deathlove posted:

about half of them are in NYC.

Mets, Yankees, Giants, Nets, Devils, Islanders all have AM affiliates (though all but the Mets are also on FM).

Jets, Rangers, and Islanders used to have AM but are FM only now I think

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Grittybeard posted:

For another small market comparison the Royals are on AM (and Sporting KC if anyone cares about them), but the Chiefs are on FM in Kansas City.

I think part of is it is both of them have had agreements with WTMJ-AM for forever, especially the Packers. WTMJ also has an FM re-transmitter now, though. Also, the Bucks are on WTMJ, for what it's worth. The Badgers are on AM (not WTMJ), whereas the Admirals (AHL) are on FM. A few high schools have broadcasting agreements around here as well, all AM.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

exploded mummy posted:

Mets, Yankees, Giants, Nets, Devils, Islanders all have AM affiliates (though all but the Mets are also on FM).

Jets, Rangers, and Islanders used to have AM but are FM only now I think

To clarify:

WFAN (AM & FM): Yankees, Nets, Devils, Giants
WEPN (formerly AM, now FM): Knicks, Jets, Rangers
WCBS-AM: Mets in 2019 after its move from WOR
WRHU (Hofstra University): Islanders

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Deathlove posted:

One of the big reasons the Cards have such a massive fanbase is because KMOX is a 50k watt clear-channel station, easy for people in Tennessee, Arkansas, Oklahoma etc to pick up. Hell if you’ve ever read A Painted House by John Grisham, he talks about it there.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Troy Queef posted:

One of the big reasons the Cards have such a massive fanbase is because KMOX is a 50k watt clear-channel station, easy for people in Tennessee, Arkansas, Oklahoma etc to pick up. Hell if you’ve ever read A Painted House by John Grisham, he talks about it there.

Before the Braves moved to Atlanta in 1966, my grandfather was a huge Cardinals fan and my dad loved the Pirates. Courtesy of KMOX and KDKA, respectively, having signals strong enough to reach southern Georgia. I suspect my grandfather later changing allegiance to the Cubs (behind the Braves, of course) was solely because of Harry Caray.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

When I was a kid my parents kept a radio on top of our fridge. I don't know if the metal on the back of the fridge amplified the signal or what the gently caress, but from southeast Minnesota on a clear night we could occasionally get Texas Rangers games and French-language Montreal Canadiens broadcasts.

It kinda ruled

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

AM can travel extremely far at night as it bounces off the ionosphere. So that worked for evening \ night games well.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

When I was a kid my parents kept a radio on top of our fridge. I don't know if the metal on the back of the fridge amplified the signal or what the gently caress, but from southeast Minnesota on a clear night we could occasionally get Texas Rangers games and French-language Montreal Canadiens broadcasts.

It kinda ruled

Yeah a lot of AM stations go from circular broadcast patterns to more focused ones at night. I was driving from South Bend to Toledo one night and found a Mississippi State football game. AM reaches like all hell at night.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

DJExile posted:

Yeah a lot of AM stations go from circular broadcast patterns to more focused ones at night. I was driving from South Bend to Toledo one night and found a Mississippi State football game. AM reaches like all hell at night.
Of course the best part of late-night AM was Art Bell telling really creepy stories on staticky AM stations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

Of course the best part of late-night AM was Art Bell telling really creepy stories on staticky AM stations.

Godspeed, art :patriot:

I ran the board for a local AM station for a year and man, I will hear "you're listening to Art Bell... somewhere in time..." in my head for years

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 minutes!
When the Red Wings and Tigers were on WJR, one of the most powerful stations in the country, they used to send out congratulations and tracking cards to people that wrote in to say that they listened from really far away.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

AsInHowe posted:

When the Red Wings and Tigers were on WJR, one of the most powerful stations in the country, they used to send out congratulations and tracking cards to people that wrote in to say that they listened from really far away.
You can still get QSL cards from radio stations if you dig deep enough and know how to get the request into the right hands.
Old school radio engineers get warm fuzzies when they hear about DXers capturing their signal from far off places and are more than happy to send them out upon request.

The trick is getting in touch with the engineer which is a task in of itself.
The AM radio band may be "dead" in the eyes of the average radio listener but it's reach especially on those 50kw blowtorches is pretty awesome.
FCC really hosed up by letting local flea flickers on the same frequencies that were once only home to the clear channel Class A stations.

In perfect conditions back in the day before the AM band became to noisy due to man made electronics, someone in Florida or Pennsylvania could "catch" KFI-640 or KNX-1070 out of Los Angeles.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
These anecdotes about radio are pretty fascinating. Anyone have recommendations for books about that kind of stuff, or just about sports broadcasts in general?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

AsInHowe posted:

I remember my dad listening to Wings games on JR when we were visiting family in Connecticut. And conversely he'd sit in the car to listen to the Red Sox at home in Michigan since it had better reception than the radio in the house.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 minutes!

howe_sam posted:

I remember my dad listening to Wings games on JR when we were visiting family in Connecticut. And conversely he'd sit in the car to listen to the Red Sox at home in Michigan since it had better reception than the radio in the house.

I remember New England and North Dakota being the farthest that the JR broadcasts would go, with Bruce Martyn and Paul Woods.

Were the Red Sox on WBZ back then? I can still get that in Detroit, but only at night, since there's a Christian station in Detroit that's only on during the daylight.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Schremp Howard posted:

These anecdotes about radio are pretty fascinating. Anyone have recommendations for books about that kind of stuff, or just about sports broadcasts in general?

Skip Caray had some stories in Roomies, including broadcasting road minor league games via ticker-tape updates. Caray's only half the book, though, the other half written by Don Farmer about early days at CNN.

Harry Caray had an autobiography in the 1980s, but what I read of it was way too sanitized. I do remember him saying that he got an early radio job because he was loud. His voice was a distraction and thus, people were paying attention to him rather anything else they were attempting to do while the broadcast was on.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I didn't know AM radio could travel so far. When I lived in SE Minnesota I remember being ecstatic that WGN radio in Chicago could reach it. Listened to many Cubs games that way.

Also used to love driving through the Midwest on a Friday night and picking up local high school football games from halfway across a state on random stations.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

We haven't gotten into the best hi-band, long-reach, weird late-night listening: Numbers Stations

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Crazy Ted posted:

We haven't gotten into the best hi-band, long-reach, weird late-night listening: Numbers Stations

Sadly most of them are gone, but a few are still out there! I really want to get a shortwave radio just to hear one before they all vanish.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
For a period of time, WLW out of Cincinnati actually broadcast at 500,000 watts. I think they stopped somewhere around WW2 but WLW gained the nickname “The Nation’s Station” because of it. And just like a lot of other anecdotes, the Reds developed a pretty wide footprint of fans across the country. Georgia, North Carolina, West Virginia, Tennessee, Mississippi, etc.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I think Cleveland's WTAM is still at 50,000 and they reach for-loving-ever at night too. Speaking of:

https://twitter.com/Indians/status/1042605815637704704

God drat Tom Hamilton is the best.

Mahoning posted:

For a period of time, WLW out of Cincinnati actually broadcast at 500,000 watts.

holy poo poo :stare:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mahoning posted:

For a period of time, WLW out of Cincinnati actually broadcast at 500,000 watts. I think they stopped somewhere around WW2 but WLW gained the nickname “The Nation’s Station” because of it. And just like a lot of other anecdotes, the Reds developed a pretty wide footprint of fans across the country. Georgia, North Carolina, West Virginia, Tennessee, Mississippi, etc.

Yeah, 1934 to 1939, including at night :stare:

I wouldn't be surprised if you could hear that on the other side of the world if you got lucky.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Niwrad posted:

I didn't know AM radio could travel so far. When I lived in SE Minnesota I remember being ecstatic that WGN radio in Chicago could reach it. Listened to many Cubs games that way.

Also used to love driving through the Midwest on a Friday night and picking up local high school football games from halfway across a state on random stations.

It helps that there ar esome bands that are clear channel, which means that only one station gets it and you dont get crossover

it's why you can hear WFAN all the way down in Florida.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Congrats to Browns radio sideline reporter Nathan Zegura, who now will not be subject to having to watch 8 weeks worth of Browns football because he yelled at an official in New Orleans.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/ESPNPR/status/1042791607316213760

i guess that's a good sign for them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Does that include all the ESPN insiders they rolled into espn+?