Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Pappyland posted:

I’m on the oldest iPhone Unlimited Plan with unlimited SMS. Is there any reason not to jump to a newer Unlimited Plus plan, apart from loss of a $10 FAN discount?

No, you're throwing away money staying on that one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

kingcobweb posted:

Where are you seeing $20 loyalty credit? AFAIK the video credit has always been $15.

The new higher unlimited plan has 15gb hotspotting per line instead of 10, and the pricing is ten times as complicated. For single line it’s $80 instead of $90 though, with the price difference coming in more autopay credit.

Sorry, my bad, $25 loyalty credit:

So, when they first-ish re-introduced the new unlimited plans, they had a "limited time promotion". They gave $25 loyalty credit. Later on, they reduced that credit down to.... either $20 or $15... then they introduced the new "enhanced" plans, which have a $15 loyalty credit... oh hey, I guess they've updated their new unlimited page... it was a bit shy on details right after they buyout.

So yeah, $25 bill credit, $15 for new plans.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jul 12, 2018

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Pappyland posted:

I’m on the oldest iPhone Unlimited Plan with unlimited SMS. Is there any reason not to jump to a newer Unlimited Plus plan, apart from loss of a $10 FAN discount?

kingcobweb posted:

No, you're throwing away money staying on that one

I can confirm that I stayed on the OG Unlimited plan for a long long time and finally switched within the past year. Indeed the newer unlimited plans do save a bit of money and you don’t lose anything and get tethering.

pastis
Aug 1, 2004

Ouzo is for louzos
I have to vent here so I don't say something completely regrettable to my 70 year old mother right now. Apologies in advance, thread.

A few years back, I added my mom to my AT&T account to save her some monthly expenses. This evening she received a call from "AT&T" that due to increased complaints about dropped calls, they were switching towers and she needed to read back a verification code she received via text so they could activate the tower. Unfortunately she let me know this about 10 minutes after it occurred and I happened to be standing in the middle of the woods in Tennessee at that very moment.. I started to ask "You didn't give them a code, right?" but of course, my phone went out of service right then and there. It took me three hours to get back to civilization and then I opened my laptop to find a string of emails letting me know that a new authorized user had been added to my account and then multiple notifications that my account had been locked. Meanwhile my wife wandered over to say she had no service on her phone, too. AT&T was kind enough to provide an 800 number for me to dial when I tried to access my online account, but naturally they're closed for the night.

At this point, I'm guessing that all three of our family's primary phone numbers have been ported elsewhere. I love my mom, but I'm thinking that Jitterbug or whatever the gently caress Walmart offers now might be in her immediate future.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

pastis posted:

I have to vent here so I don't say something completely regrettable to my 70 year old mother right now. Apologies in advance, thread.

A few years back, I added my mom to my AT&T account to save her some monthly expenses. This evening she received a call from "AT&T" that due to increased complaints about dropped calls, they were switching towers and she needed to read back a verification code she received via text so they could activate the tower. Unfortunately she let me know this about 10 minutes after it occurred and I happened to be standing in the middle of the woods in Tennessee at that very moment.. I started to ask "You didn't give them a code, right?" but of course, my phone went out of service right then and there. It took me three hours to get back to civilization and then I opened my laptop to find a string of emails letting me know that a new authorized user had been added to my account and then multiple notifications that my account had been locked. Meanwhile my wife wandered over to say she had no service on her phone, too. AT&T was kind enough to provide an 800 number for me to dial when I tried to access my online account, but naturally they're closed for the night.

At this point, I'm guessing that all three of our family's primary phone numbers have been ported elsewhere. I love my mom, but I'm thinking that Jitterbug or whatever the gently caress Walmart offers now might be in her immediate future.

Wowwww that sucks :(

Can you still log onto your online account? It’s possible they just switched the SIM cards (and bought a bunch of phones on your account). I don’t know what you’d do with a bunch of numbers you ported out, but I’m not a fraud expert

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

pastis posted:

That blows, but all seriousness, it really isn’t your moms fault (I think you know this since you said venting). The people doing fraud, some of them are really, really good at what they do. Like, they catch more than just tech illiterate people, “normal” people fall for that stuff all time.

We had a customer google a number to call Apple for some support help, he number she found was fake. She went to CVS, bought a $100 iTunes card (which they then stole), and she stopped by our store asking why they were asking for another one. She was going to go BACK to CVS until it finally got through to her “oh wait, this isn’t normal.”

ATT has a fraud department , I’m assuming you’re calling it. I would keep a super close eye on your bank accounts until they get the numbers back.

kingcobweb posted:

Wowwww that sucks :(

Can you still log onto your online account? It’s possible they just switched the SIM cards (and bought a bunch of phones on your account). I don’t know what you’d do with a bunch of numbers you ported out, but I’m not a fraud expert

Find out what bank/retirement the customer uses, reset username and password via text message to trusted phone number, then transfer out all money. As the tip of the iceberg.

Honestly, I’m surprised I haven’t seen more issues of this lately, a ridiculous amount of people’s information is tied to their cell number, so it’s a big domino someone steals what has turned into essentially a master reset key.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I hadn't heard of this particular scam, so thanks for venting about it here. Let us know what happens and good luck.

pastis
Aug 1, 2004

Ouzo is for louzos
Alright, so everything is resolved in under 24 hours. So someone in the Dominican Republic put himself on my account through the text scam, ported four numbers (including my watch) and purchased 4 iPhone Xs with old numbers from an Apple Store in Philly. The ATT fraud department noticed it last night, froze the account, and stopped the purchases. This morning I had to verify my identity over the phone and they undid the damage. I also had to take the devices to the local Corp store for new SIM cards.

When I get this month’s bill, I will have to call the fraud department for them to wipe out all the roaming and upgrade charges. I put a new PIN on the whole account and we’re leaving my online access disabled for 2 weeks to make sure my new friend doesn’t get back into my account. I really think ATT did a great job to sort this out mostly overnight while I failed to sleep.

So everything worked out ok in the end today.....well except I arrived back home later today to find lightning struck our house and fried everything with an HDMI cable attached to it, but that’s for another thread. :shepspends:

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

pastis posted:

So everything worked out ok in the end today.....well except I arrived back home later today to find lightning struck our house and fried everything with an HDMI cable attached to it, but that’s for another thread. :shepspends:

Had that happen to me a few years back. Just an excuse to upgrade to a bigger TV, and the latest consoles.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
FYI for people buying phones directly from ATT: buying phones full price makes you pay the same upgrade fee that putting the phones on installment does, as of February. Yes really!! The salesperson isn’t trying to scam you!! There’s no way for a rep in the store to dodge this without violating policy.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy

kingcobweb posted:

FYI for people buying phones directly from ATT: buying phones full price makes you pay the same upgrade fee that putting the phones on installment does, as of February. Yes really!! The salesperson isn’t trying to scam you!! There’s no way for a rep in the store to dodge this without violating policy.

Wow. What a scam...

But this pretty much sounds like classic AT&T.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

kingcobweb posted:

Corporate individual-responsibility accounts still might waive that?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

BeAuMaN posted:

Corporate individual-responsibility accounts still might waive that?

That waived ACTIVATION fees, not upgrade fees.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

kingcobweb posted:

That waived ACTIVATION fees, not upgrade fees.

I have waived upgrade fees too :smugdog: though I don't have the awesome rate discount some people have with their corporate individual-responsibility accounts (Though that's pretty moot since those stopped applying to the new unlimited plans)

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I have a old 3G Microcell that I don’t use anymore (left AT&T) and my brother-in-law wants to give it to his parents in rural PA since it’s essentially a dead zone there. Would there be any issue since AT&T refused to take back the microcell?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Island Nation posted:

I have a old 3G Microcell that I don’t use anymore (left AT&T) and my brother-in-law wants to give it to his parents in rural PA since it’s essentially a dead zone there. Would there be any issue since AT&T refused to take back the microcell?

Does it still work? Mine died and ATT won’t fix or replace it, and aren’t selling new ones.

Totally give it to your family and get the most out of it.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Ultimate Mango posted:

Does it still work? Mine died and ATT won’t fix or replace it, and aren’t selling new ones.

Totally give it to your family and get the most out of it.

What? We have microcells in retail

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

kingcobweb posted:

What? We have microcells in retail

The dude on the tech support phone line totally lied then.

Can I take my old one in and get it replaced or do I have to buy a new one?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Ultimate Mango posted:

The dude on the tech support phone line totally lied then.

Can I take my old one in and get it replaced or do I have to buy a new one?

I checked on this and apparently it’s officially discontinued, but if you can find one in retail you can buy it, but it’s on you to get it working. No rebates for $ off it any more either so straight up $150

I’d call local stores

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

We added the extra security pin to our account after the same kind of scam above. What’s crazy is that every time you log in on the app, when it asks you for the pin, there is a checkbox to turn off the extra security. Of all the things to make super easy, that should not be one of them.

electricmonk500
May 6, 2007
So I'm on a Unlimited Plus Enhanced plan and will be going to Canada soon, (BC if it matters). Does anyone know how this plan will work there? Some things I see seem to indicate that LTE, voice and text will work as normal with no extra charge and then other stuff makes it look like there are roaming fees?

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Did they change some bucket plans? I swear mine went from 25GB to 50GB and I didn't change anything.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
They increased both data allowance and price for a bunch of legacy plans.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

kingcobweb posted:

Ah yeah, if you’re getting that $10 basic phone cost that’s a reason to stick with an old plan. But it still depends on the rest of it!!

Basically go into your bill (pdf from the site is what I use in-store) and add up the line costs before the taxes/fees/phone payments, minus insurance. Then compare that with:

105+20*[number of lines]

...and if the second one it’s less it’s a strict price drop. Even if it’s close, the new one has Mexico and Canada and hotspotting so it’s usually better

That’s the unlimited plus. Unlimited choice is $30 less and has no hotspotting and speeds are capped to 6mbps

Glad i went back and read. I have a $15 FAN and end up saving . . . one dollar on the old unlimited plan compared to the Unlimited Premium. Well, a buck a month almost seems like it's worth it for the tethering and all the other stuff they add into it (I'm assuming the access to the movie channels or music services is probably only a limited time?). I guess I'd lose the option to drop down to a $5 text plan, but even as antisocial as I am these days I usually end up needing the unlimited.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Rick posted:

Glad i went back and read. I have a $15 FAN and end up saving . . . one dollar on the old unlimited plan compared to the Unlimited Premium. Well, a buck a month almost seems like it's worth it for the tethering and all the other stuff they add into it (I'm assuming the access to the movie channels or music services is probably only a limited time?). I guess I'd lose the option to drop down to a $5 text plan, but even as antisocial as I am these days I usually end up needing the unlimited.

The current unlimited plans are a bit more expensive now than they were when I made that post, FYI.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Do all ATT plans charge the $2 admin fee per line? It’s painful for something like a smart watch which only costs $10 in the first place.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

smackfu posted:

Do all ATT plans charge the $2 admin fee per line? It’s painful for something like a smart watch which only costs $10 in the first place.

I believe so.

cowtown
Jul 4, 2007

the cow's a friend to me

smackfu posted:

I get charged lots of fees on my smart watch line.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yep, I’m just particularly annoyed about this fee because they raised it by $1.25 or so in the last six months.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

smackfu posted:

Yep, I’m just particularly annoyed about this fee because they raised it by $1.25 or so in the last six months.

Gotta make huge corporate profits pay for time warner somehow.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Honestly the fact adding a cell-enabled watch would cost an extra $175/yr is a dealbreaker right now.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

obeyasia posted:

Just wait till all the cool poo poo you could do with OPUS is missing when you get saddled with OPUS Mobile.

Does anyone at AT&T corporate or otherwise have any new opinions about OPUS? Are you still using OPUS Mobile?

Are your lives good, bad.... ?

Whats going on in the world of AT&T retail employment at the moment?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
The new and updated OPUS looks like Windows XP, but it seems to basically do all the same things it used to.

I’d rather use OPUS than any customer-facing tools. I think it’s by far the most useful tool ATT has that I have access to.

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

kingcobweb posted:

The new and updated OPUS looks like Windows XP, but it seems to basically do all the same things it used to.

I’d rather use OPUS than any customer-facing tools. I think it’s by far the most useful tool ATT has that I have access to.

Are you still forced to use mobile?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Beefstorm posted:

Are you still forced to use mobile?

As opposed to on the PC? They do 99% the same things. I haven’t needed to use the PC for anything other than opening/closing in ages.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
We have a place that has terrible reception inside - I often have to go outside to make phone calls.

A microcell is what I want, right? Any recommendations on a good one?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Small White Dragon posted:

We have a place that has terrible reception inside - I often have to go outside to make phone calls.

A microcell is what I want, right? Any recommendations on a good one?

Do your phones do wifi calling?

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Do your phones do wifi calling?
I have an iPhone 8.

Does that handle inbound calls, too? I sometimes miss them when I’m there.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Small White Dragon posted:

I have an iPhone 8.

Does that handle inbound calls, too? I sometimes miss them when I’m there.

Wifi calling should handle both yes. When I had ATT, I lived in a super poor coverage area, and WiFi calling did the trick, but i guess it depends on your luck.

A microcell would also do the trick, it’s just whether you’re willing to purchase one when WiFi calling is free. Having coverage is worth the price, but usually WiFi calling does the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
ATT doesn’t sell microcells any more.