Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should there be a poll?
This poll is closed.
Yes 125 49.02%
No 130 50.98%
Total: 255 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Wark Say posted:

Can you make me some running shoes that don't come apart after 6 months? Like, if I was jogging a hundred miles a week or something, I'd understand, but I only do like 4-5 miles a day. And giving a hundred bucks to Brooks/Asics every 6 months doesn't seem like the way to go. :(

4-5 miles a day seems like more than enough to kill running shoes every six months
also im doing big hats now sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noether
May 1, 2017

some kinda cutesy shoggoth
https://twitter.com/LauraJaneGrace/status/1042048910032814080

setup to a low-fantasy genderbend manga

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

everythingWasBees posted:

4-5 miles a day seems like more than enough to kill running shoes every six months
also im doing big hats now sorry
Such is the capriciousness of the wind. :negative:

Laura is my goddamn hero. I love her. :allears:

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Wark Say posted:

Can you make me some running shoes that don't come apart after 6 months? Like, if I was jogging a hundred miles a week or something, I'd understand, but I only do like 4-5 miles a day. And giving a hundred bucks to Brooks/Asics every 6 months doesn't seem like the way to go. :(

Iron sandals my man

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

they're more useful than justice

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Droyer posted:

Iron sandals my man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ny16fts0KBo

noether
May 1, 2017

some kinda cutesy shoggoth

Wark Say posted:

Laura is my goddamn hero. I love her. :allears:

one of these days I'll have to listen to her stuff, but like idk, I'm usually pretty lukewarm about music specifically about trans stuff for whatever reason

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
https://twitter.com/asteroid_ill/status/1042018492461932544
:stwoon:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Sharky did I ever show you this song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5pQk_Vq3k4

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I'm going to make a playlist of songs that have diegetic ocean sounds in them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xieSvKCOqlk

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

That is a completely separate band that is also named Dragon

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

On discogs they are Dragon(5) and Dragon(15), respectively

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
re-read the first two viz volumes of goodnight punpun and while i think asano kinda gets in their own way with how they tell stories and the devices they lean on, i think they do get at some sincere ideas about being human and seeking and giving love. i'm remembering why i really liked it at like eighteen.

if it ever got an anime, i'd really want shaft to do it i think

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

noether posted:

one of these days I'll have to listen to her stuff, but like idk, I'm usually pretty lukewarm about music specifically about trans stuff for whatever reason

ime a lot of music about trans stuff is like *opening of never turn back from shadow the hedgehog* ITS A LOT LIKE THAT SCENE IN THE OPENING OF KINGDOM HEARTS WHERE SORA WONDERS IF THINGS ARE A DREAM AND THEN FALLS THROUGH GLASS AND IS REFORMED BY IT *sad acoustic guitar riff* YO I HEARD TWO LITTLE GIRLS ONCE *the exact notes from that song* good night... i love you *song fades out*

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

noether posted:

Against Me is one of those bands that I became a fan of when I was getting a bit sick of metal as a teenager and I just became hopelessly devoted to over the years. And just like Thrice, they've sorta never let me down, even after coming back to loving metal. Every new album sorta scratches a different itch and so do the lyrics.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

GorfZaplen posted:

I'm going to make a playlist of songs that have diegetic ocean sounds in them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xieSvKCOqlk

add nakamura emi's nami wo matsunosa

it has diagetic ocean sounds and steel pan drums and her voice is crystal clear and so sharp in it and I love it

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

https://open.spotify.com/track/6IkVSD9klg6OgVC56STNQo?si=qvUH3P1WTqW3pZjKwi8HYA

this one

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
If I ever write a song about my experiences with being transgender its going to be mostly about how the pockets on women jeans are way smaller and takes a while to get use to.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Oh Shark, a while ago you were posting Conan in this thread and I wanted to ask since you also read CMB and stuff how you would say the mysteries compare to that? I tend to like more fair play mystery stuff, but I plan on reading Conan eventually anyway. But if its more like the type of stuff I like, I would probably read it sooner.

e: i mean as long as the mysteries are fun that is fine with me, but if its also solvable stuff that just makes me happier to play along

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Sep 19, 2018

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Snooze Cruise posted:

Oh Shark, a while ago you were posting Conan in this thread and I wanted to ask since you also read CMB and stuff how you would say the mysteries compare to that? I tend to like more fair play mystery stuff, but I plan on reading Conan eventually anyway. But if its more like the type of stuff I like, I would probably read it sooner.

Incredibly similar structure, but a lot of CMB is learning about new people and places and historical things and conan is way more evidence based mysteries. Much like Colombo in a lot of cases you know who the perpetrator and the drama is conan pushing until he can find out exactly how they accomplished impossible murders.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Conan's evidence though a lot of times is incredibly tiny fragments of things, like a rock or a hole in a wall will be clearly shown and speculated on but how it actually interacts with the solution of the case is so outlandish that very rarely am I able to guess suspects like that, they're super inventive mysteries, but perhaps too inventive.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Alright cool, that sounds fun. I'll probably start reading some of that once I caught up with CMB.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Sharkopath posted:

genuinely surprised games workshop hasnt commissioned that exact idea because even if its ultra niche warhammer stuff sells in japan and they keep trying to break further into the market.

games workshop had their properties ripped off and turned into some of the biggest video game franchises of the 90s and it took them like 20 years after that to realize that maybe they should get people to make good video games about those properties instead

I'm not, like, super into games workshop's history or whatever but from the outside they have not seemed especially willing to make people interested in warhammer unless they are already willing to pay tons of money for tiny figures

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Man, whenever people mention Conan, all I keep picturing is the rooster-haired TV host / former Simpsons scriptwriter.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Pretty starwitch
https://twitter.com/Aki_a0623/status/1042066166594723840

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Wark Say posted:

Man, whenever people mention Conan, all I keep picturing is the rooster-haired TV host / former Simpsons scriptwriter.

Id watch an anime of this Conan solving mysteries.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

DoubleDonut posted:

games workshop had their properties ripped off and turned into some of the biggest video game franchises of the 90s and it took them like 20 years after that to realize that maybe they should get people to make good video games about those properties instead

I'm not, like, super into games workshop's history or whatever but from the outside they have not seemed especially willing to make people interested in warhammer unless they are already willing to pay tons of money for tiny figures

It just means i'm going to make the comic myself about a made up game and become a bazillionaire, singlehandedly revitalizing the hobby games industry in japan.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I can't believe Conan is going to do Andy Barker, P.I., but without Andy Richter, and its anime.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

that idea but with boardgames already exists and is getting an anime, which just proves the hunger is out there.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

my nigga nabeshin still getting work

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Wark Say posted:

I just think of that one guy from Cimmeria

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Everything Burrito posted:

I just think of that one guy from Cimmeria

I read all of conan recently and its cool. cool pulp.

I like that howard was really big into history so his fantasy world is just our world but with the coastlines way extended

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

but also he was writing for pulps so for some reason the irish are jungle dwelling native americans with power over animals and a fondness for tomahawks and theres lots of overt bdsm

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

a bit interesting thing is that in like 95% of conans appearance hes a smart trickster rogue that uses just his fists and knives and catlike stealth to solve problems but through cultural diffusion his image is more like a pro wrestler with swords.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

but also he was writing for pulps so for some reason the irish are jungle dwelling native americans with power over animals and a fondness for tomahawks and theres lots of overt bdsm

howard's epic 20's texan racism ftw

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

DoubleDonut posted:

i think they're just not good at their jobs. every story i hear about any aspect of their business operations from marketing to it involves them punching themselves in the dick for no clear reason

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Plutonis posted:

howard's epic 20's texan racism ftw

its more like he figured out a way to keep writing his popular cowboy wilderness type stories in his long running fantasy series in a very clumsy way

but I still think beyond the black river is one of the best conan stories

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sharkopath posted:

a bit interesting thing is that in like 95% of conans appearance hes a smart trickster rogue that uses just his fists and knives and catlike stealth to solve problems but through cultural diffusion his image is more like a pro wrestler with swords.

yeah, book conan is a lot more nuanced than movie conan and it sucks that that never has been corrected.

I've been about halfway through an omnibus of all the conan stories for literally years because I just pick it up and read one story here and there. Howard's poo poo isn't without issues but they're still really fun to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

yeah the main problem is that he has very, ahem, period-influenced ideas about racial purity