Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GUI
Nov 5, 2005

DLC Inc posted:

https://twitter.com/gameinformer/status/1042107684483416064

On one hand it sucks people are losing their jobs but on the other hand the Vancouver office did not get how to make a good DR game at all and massively hosed up. The Capcom Japan guys are doing way better work than the NA branches are.

That sucks, I had fun with 3 and 4 even if they weren't as good as the previous ones. I was under the impression that they were working on DR5 which had received a budget cut after 4 bombed, but if that was ever true then I guess it's been scrapped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

i want the canada studio to try making dragon quarter 2

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
dead rising 1 has some really annoying bosses but it has way more options to cheese them while in dead rising 2 you pretty much always have to face them head-on and they're always irritating damage tanks

there were ways to improve on dead rising 1 and dr2 really hosed up on improving bosses and dr3 and 4 went on to improve on nothing, so. welp

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I enjoyed DR 2 way more than 1. I think it's a better game because it toned down some of the worst bullshit from 1 but not so much it became bland like happened with 3.

Also I cannot remember why but I spent a lot of time in DR 2 playing poker. I think it was to get a costume from Ghosts 'n Goblins.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Colonel posted:

and then dead rising 2 makes you fight sniper rifle rednecks who take a dozen shots to kill and if you manage to get up close they stunlock you to death with machetes instead

The Colonel posted:

dead rising 1 has some really annoying bosses but it has way more options to cheese them while in dead rising 2 you pretty much always have to face them head-on and they're always irritating damage tanks

Both games basically take the same approach to boss design. They're damage sponges, they all have a move that just knocks you down and run away, but DR2 gives far more options to fight them successfully in ways that aren't purely cheesing them. The redneck snipers don't move from their spots and they're bad shots, if you move from crowd to crowd they'll never hit you and even then DR2's map design provides plenty of back area opportunities to reach them. DR1's redneck snipers move faster than you and will shoot at close range so you've got to lure them into a store or crowd of zombies and hope they get stuck. Give me the gross chainsaw guy in DR2 over the chainsaw clown in DR1 because DR2's chainsaw guy doesn't jump around a giant arena. Give me the bathroom stall stalker in DR2 over the Home Depot commando in DR1 because the bathroom dude can be tracked under the stalls.

The chef sucks, I'll trade that guy for anything. He is straight up RNG.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The Chef boss fight introduced me to Celldweller so I'll always be fond of Dead Rising 2 for that reason alone.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I also thought the aging model was a cool subversion where you have to lure zombies to her so she can put on a show. And the tiger trainer. I felt super bad looking up later that you can rescue the tiger.

e: tbf Dead Rising 2's "options" are "combine knife with boxing gloves, combine whisky with orange juice in a blender, win the game"

al-azad fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Sep 18, 2018

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I forgot about the new month

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

i'm sorry we forgot to let you out of August for 18 days

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I finally pulled myself away from my monster hunter hole to start Yakuza 0 and it's remarkable that this plays and looks better than a PS2 game...really turning around my opinion on the series in a major way

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

al-azad posted:

e: tbf Dead Rising 2's "options" are "combine knife with boxing gloves, combine whisky with orange juice in a blender, win the game"
Knife gloves and painkillers are the pro strat in 2 while mannequin torsos and mini-chainsaws are the ones in 1.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

suuma posted:

My wife plays Minecraft and World of Warcraft, Neopets might be better

WoW at least isn't Scientologist propaganda lol

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

In Training posted:

I finally pulled myself away from my monster hunter hole to start Yakuza 0 and it's remarkable that this plays and looks better than a PS2 game...really turning around my opinion on the series in a major way

What the...

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
ps2 yakuza is a bad intro to the series now that there are solid remakes of both 1 and 2

the only reason to play yakuza 1 is for mark hamill as majima

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

that is a pretty good reason

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I mostly thought it was funny to talk about a modern release in a long running franchise not playing like its earlier releases, and having this revelation after playing monhun.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

dead rising 1 and 2 are both really good but i definitely prefer 1

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Colonel posted:

ps2 yakuza is a bad intro to the series now that there are solid remakes of both 1 and 2

the only reason to play yakuza 1 is for mark hamill as majima

Yeah i played Yakuza 1/2 before 5 was localized and they left a bad taste in my mouth so I never tried the series again. BUt now I wanna play 0/K1/K2/3/4/5/6, i hope they all come to PC.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

corn in the bible posted:

WoW at least isn't Scientologist propaganda lol

The scientologist guy hasn't owned the site for the last 10 years. Believe me, my wife has given me the full rundown of all Neopets history.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
does neopets still have a refresh-based economy

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Poops Mcgoots posted:

I mostly thought it was funny to talk about a modern release in a long running franchise not playing like its earlier releases, and having this revelation after playing monhun.

MHW plays a lot like every other MH game though. They just put all the wiki info directly into the game for that one.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

yeah in that it's refreshing and based. neopets goty

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

C-Euro posted:

Did I already miss the conversation about how they're adding Smash Bros to Shovel Knight? Because they're adding Smash Bros to Shovel Knight :psyduck:
https://youtu.be/Nr81mmA_inA

Yeah looks cool. The 3DS version of shovel knight had a multiplayer arena mode but it was asynchronous so it was... interesting.

This looks like fully synchronous multiplayer, pretty nice. I imagine its a novelty and gets old fast though, making a proper fighting game takes so much balance work.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

cheetah7071 posted:

neopets always had a scam-based economy, similar to EVE

I never played much but I knew a bunch of girls in high school who scammed random people on the internet out of all kinds of neo... neopoints? neocash? whatever it is.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
when I last played neopets, probably around 15 years ago, this is the thing I wanted the most I think

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
are there neolootboxes yet

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

post your best neopets

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

GUI posted:

The Chef boss fight introduced me to Celldweller so I'll always be fond of Dead Rising 2 for that reason alone.

What’s Celldweller?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

LawfulWaffle posted:

What’s Celldweller?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grEVqapEUqo

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

LawfulWaffle posted:

What’s Celldweller?

It's a one man band that had quite a few songs appear in Dead Rising 2 (and that downloadable 5 dollar prequel it had). iirc 3 had one of his songs too.

When Dead Rising 4 came out and I found they didn't license his music again and couldn't even get Lifeseeker, the genius behind this famous song either I knew it was all over for the franchise.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

GUI posted:

Lifeseeker, the genius behind this famous song

oh god why did I click, i'm getting ptsd flashbacks

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

GUI posted:

It's a one man band that had quite a few songs appear in Dead Rising 2 (and that downloadable 5 dollar prequel it had). iirc 3 had one of his songs too.

When Dead Rising 4 came out and I found they didn't license his music again and couldn't even get Lifeseeker, the genius behind this famous song either I knew it was all over for the franchise.

Klayton rules. The same guy, going by Scandroid this time, put out this excellent cover of Thriller last October:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rov5I0CQKw

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

oddium posted:

post your best neopets

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
My wife was way into Neopets until shortly before our relationship got serious when she got banned for allegedly scamming/hacking or whatever despite not knowing how to even do anything like that. She was super mad but it killed her interest in it so in the end it was a net positive.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

oddium posted:

post your best neopets

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i beat mother 1. i can't imagine playing without the easy ring but it's still an extremely ftw game

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

The Colonel posted:

i beat mother 1. i can't imagine playing without the easy ring but it's still an extremely ftw game

Is it better than Earthbound?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

LawfulWaffle posted:

Is it better than Earthbound?

it feels a bit like a rough prototype and earthbound definitely polishes up a lot of beats from it but if you play the gba version with the fan tl then you can go through it in a few hours without too much fuss and it does enough neat stuff in its own right that it's worth it imo. plus the fan tl is done by the same guy as mother 3 so it reads a lot better than what the game officially got

biggest issues with mother 1 are just that it has a handful of annoying maze dungeons and a couple random npcs give you colds that you can't cure easily until you open up the railway to get to snowman, but the latter is something you can mostly avoid if you just don't talk to the girl in the school library since the only other npc where it would be an issue is only available to talk to after opening up the train

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Verranicus posted:

My wife was way into Neopets until shortly before our relationship got serious when she got banned for allegedly scamming/hacking or whatever despite not knowing how to even do anything like that. She was super mad but it killed her interest in it so in the end it was a neo petitive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Nintendo...
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1042213812894457858

• Locked thread