Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I'm trying to take my time with this game but it's so hard to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Oh yeah I'm gonna do the postgame stuff for sure

musclebusiness
Jun 30, 2008

annoyed that the battle camera isn't something more like dq 9's camera. it's very very boring as is

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

musclebusiness posted:

annoyed that the battle camera isn't something more like dq 9's camera. it's very very boring as is

switch to the other battle camera mode

musclebusiness
Jun 30, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

switch to the other battle camera mode

i did, at the start. just think it would've been very cool if they made it resemble dq9's camera :)

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I don't have the foggiest idea what you mean

musclebusiness
Jun 30, 2008

the way your party and enemies would automatically move and strafe around the battle screen, it was cool. the manual control for the player character is nice, just wish everyone else didn't just... stand there...

Fiend Matador
Feb 19, 2011

Not very far in yet but I really love Erik's mechanic of inflicting status ailments and then punishing enemies with ailments. Reminds me of the nightseeker class from Etrian Odyssey 4 which was also a lot of fun.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fiend Matador posted:

Not very far in yet but I really love Erik's mechanic of inflicting status ailments and then punishing enemies with ailments. Reminds me of the nightseeker class from Etrian Odyssey 4 which was also a lot of fun.

huh, that does sound cool. i didn't spec into knives for anyone on this playthrough, so i might do that next time.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Fiend Matador posted:

Erik's 6x status dmg moves were my primary damage dealers well into the midgame. Lots of early bosses fell to that combo. So sweet (said like Cartman)

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003
Oive hardly had time 2 play this in off the mountain the. 30 minites in baby. My childfriend dodnt take a tumble and do a mischief on heraelf tho...whew

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

mysterious loyall X posted:

Oive hardly had time 2 play this in off the mountain the. 30 minites in baby. My childfriend dodnt take a tumble and do a mischief on heraelf tho...whew

My man you sound straight up retarded sometimes lol, but I got it after reading 3x

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

My man you sound straight up retarded sometimes lol, but I got it after reading 3x

Thank u for your support

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

sounds like a resident of insula australis wrote this

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

musclebusiness posted:

the way your party and enemies would automatically move and strafe around the battle screen, it was cool. the manual control for the player character is nice, just wish everyone else didn't just... stand there...

i know what you mean yeah, i expected this game to do that. but they wanted the battles to take place in the real surroundings which is really cool but it gets in the way of the camera sometimes

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Being able to respec basically whenever you want is the coolest poo poo ever. I’m pretty much trying something new every other boss

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I've been exclusively using Greatswords on the MC but now that I know he can eventually dual wield I'll respec him when that becomes available.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

There's a lot of awesome swords in this game, I wish I could use them all. I hope I can craft or find some that finally out damage the falcon blades

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

What's the practical difference between Gigaslash and Quadraslash?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

i know every DQ is like this but i wish there was a little more info on specifics. like quadra's power doesnt go up with oomph so it scales with magic? maybe?

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

giga slash does lightning damage and only hits a group .. quadraslash hits all of them and does probably light damage, without the ning.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I.N.R.I posted:

giga slash does lightning damage and only hits a group .. quadraslash hits all of them and does probably light damage, without the ning.

Gigaslash hits them all as well. However, based on observation, I think the difference is that Gigaslash scales off of Attack while Quadraslash probably uses Magical Might. And different elements, as you said.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I do wish the game were a little less obtuse about elemental resistances and skill/stat scaling and stuff, especially since autobattle on Fight Wisely seems to mostly take advantage of all that stuff optimally anyway, so it's not like it's a big secret .

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
is it necessary though .. i think you get more than enough info to know what youre doing and to figure out when to do it

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Is there a stat that will increase the chance of envenom sticking?

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Frenz posted:

I want to say either deftness or agility but I'm not 100% sure.

The postgame stuff is loving fantastic btw. And I already found 2 swords that out dmg my twin falcon blades, at long last!

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Frenz posted:

i thought charm affected your chance of status ailments in general

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

The postgame stuff is loving fantastic btw. And I already found 2 swords that out dmg my twin falcon blades, at long last!

haha, that's good to know. sylvando has had mine since when you first get them, and i keep toying with replacing them with higher single hit damage swords, but haven't yet

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

extremebuff posted:

i thought charm affected your chance of status ailments in general

I think its different depending on the move

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

lol jesus

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Yeah I was thinking deftness or charm but it looks like status-inflicting abilities are mostly just a fixed % chance https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/179347-dragon-quest-xi-echoes-of-an-elusive-age/76888622

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i appreciate talking mechanics, but i'd honestly prefer to know as little about that stuff as possible

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

me personally? i love numbers and seeing the formulas that happen everytime i hit things, its interesting, especially when a lot of those numbers havent changed in 30 years

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Extremely minor postgame spoilers: I'm really enjoying the difficulty ramp, even baby enemies from the beginning of the game are tough now. Having a freaking blast running thru the world from the start just checking out the new enemies.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Extremely minor postgame spoilers: I'm really enjoying the difficulty ramp, even baby enemies from the beginning of the game are tough now. Having a freaking blast running thru the world from the start just checking out the new enemies.

the way they give you a great incentive to redo dungeons and stuff through the ultimate key and new quests is awesome

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Do I need to switch weapon types in order to use certain skills? Like say for Erik, boomerangs and knives?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Over There posted:

Do I need to switch weapon types in order to use certain skills? Like say for Erik, boomerangs and knives?

theres a few exceptions but yes, you need to have a boomerang to do boomerang stuff. but you can switch equipment mid-battle and it doesnt spend your turn or anything

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Yup, plus it might be worth noting that stat boosts apply no matter what you're using, unless it's a "damage+ when wielding" node, obviously.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Over There posted:

Most abilities require you to be wielding the weapon of the indicated type, but some don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

gonna eat and stream some hard mode in a bit. im very early on (just found veronica&serena) if anyones worried about spoilers