Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

Pick posted:

Until I decided to bother, I didn't even know where ops was on ds9 lol. I mean you can assume maybe the center, but center top? center bottom? you don't know. it was made by lizards. i have no idea where the toilets are.

Cardassians do not poop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Windows 98 posted:

Cardassians do not poop

I mean I figure they might be like snakes and all excretions come out as that weird little urea corndog. but that would require them to drink much less and they're drinking red leaf tea all the time. the questions stack up, the mind--it boggles

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I remember in an episode of DS9 (I think it was an early one, maybe even the first one) they mentioned that Cardassian design philosophy meant that the commander's office was raised up above his subordiates in Ops. Which is all well and good as an authoritarian alien design philosophy, except Ops wasn't actually arranged that way, it had a bunch of consoles and workstations on the same level as the office. :downs:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

HD DAD posted:

What bothers me about the E bridge is that I could never get a full sense of how it was laid out. The D bridge (and gently caress, the TOS bridge too) were so well designed that they were almost a character in themselves.

Sadly, Ops in DS9 suffered the same “I don’t know where anything is” fate.

Yeah, ops sucked too. No structure. The situation table was good but the outer layer was just a mish-mash.

Voyager was pretty decent in terms of comprehensibility for the audience but it was a bit too wide for a 4:3 show and the sides just got lost. I can't even visualise the left and right.

But the E is a disaster in terms of both structure and the horrible dark pointy design cues. How did we go from this

to this

in a few years

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Sep 19, 2018

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The Defiant was decent. Compact and very simple so it couldn’t really do anything fancy with the space but things had there place, most of time. Sometimes a random main cast member would yell about something from one of the rear panels because they hadn’t said something in a while but that was about it.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I can agree with the point that the E bridge doesn't have a great sense of overall layout, but I really like how individualized everything is. The single-person standing consoles, the Captain's solo chair being slightly elevated instead of on a flat line, the enclosed nature of the pilot and operations consoles that are divided from each other and wrap around the chair, for me it creates this neat sense of everyone having a personal space, personal responsibilities, and are given the tools they need for that job in a compartmentalized, utilitarian fashion.

The E's bridge does have a character (although it's undermined by that inability to get an overall picture of it), and it reflects the evolution of Pre and Post 359 Starfleet Design. As ships left behind the Galaxy and Intrepid-era softness, grace and aplomb for a harder, darker, more militarized aesthetic that we see in the Akira, Steamrunner and Sovereign, the bridge design leaves behind the round edges, the excessive open space, and the more egalitarian and communal designs of it's controls and seating arrangements for a setup where there are levels of importance with the captain on top, and the pieces that make up controls are emphasized over the greater whole.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Using deep blue to light bridge sets, instead of soft white, is like when a person holds a candle underneath their face and the shadows all look wrong.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Not satisfied with putting rocks and electrified plasma behind every console, Starfleet has begun to experiment with how many tripping hazards they can cram into a single room.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

The Ent-D bridge from Generations is my favorite iteration of it, adding a few consoles to the sides where those... padding things (?) on the walls are.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
kira nerys should've been a lesbian. she also should've dated dax. dax/kira makes way more sense than kira/odo and dax/worf

#LetKiraKissGirls

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

I still don't think I've ever yet encountered a single example of anyone disliking the Orville, who does so without referencing a (it seems) personal vendetta against Family Guy, and usually MacFarlane specifically.

The commercials for it made my soul want to die in a 7/10 Star Wars Detours level

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Sanguinia posted:

When I said "Family guy style humor," I was mostly talking about Non-Sequitur off-color jokes, like in an episode I watched the other day where when discussing a 2-Dimensional world the helmsman made "oblique," references to how 4th Dimensional beings might be watching him masturbate in his bunk. Family Guy is as full of those kinds of jokes as it is cutaway gags.

As for the second part, again, I admit I haven't seen past Episode 6, and maybe it falls off a giant cliff after the point I've seen, but other than the Drowned In Blue color scheme and BSG Gritty Lighting, I just don't agree with how you're characterizing Discovery here. Especially not the tie-ins to Spock/TOS, the episode where Michael goes into Sarek's mind and it turns out he sold out her future for the sake of his son was a really cool way to make that connection about more than just pointless fanservice IMO. There are broad strokes about Discovery that on paper seem like bad fanfic, but in their execution I've never been disappointed by them.

Well, like I said, maybe after what I've seen it turns to poo poo. Unfortunately I haven't had the time to use the free trial on that lovely not-netflix and marathon it before I have to pay. But either way seeing people bury a show that I've so far really loved to try and prop up a show that keeps rubbing me the wrong way isn't helping my efforts to give Orville a fair shake.

I don't think Family Guy has a monopoly on off colour gags and weed references but I mean, I get that certain kinds of humour can be off putting to different people. Have you seen Stargate SG1? I don't think The Orville is really that different in tone from those shows (it could appear more serious than it was due to the military stuff, I think) and I think The Orville gets some flack because just because it's Seth Macfarlane.

If I cherry pick even I can find stuff in STD that doesn't suck, ideas that at least on paper aren't bad or could even be interesting, we can do this with nearly any episode or movie in the franchise if we look hard enough. In this show I find these things are overshadowed by stuff like the main character committing war crimes and everybody just kind of nurrrghing it off because we're at war, maaan, the show's escape from one comically grim universe to another, even grimmer reality, or the way they Poochie'd their big mess of a serialized story arc so they could have the Enterprise show up in the last 10 seconds, or all the weird rape poo poo that was like watching that horrible Voyager episode where Seven gets her nanoprobes stolen only unmercifully stretched out over a season, or

Like the show itself is not entertaining to me, but I feel that the hell dimension of 2018 would produce a Star Trek like this and that thought is as consistently amusing as it is sad

Now, as for this talk about people "burying a show to prop up another show" that makes no sense to me, liking/disliking shows is not a team sport and if people are hyped for the cool and fun friends adventure in space show and talk poo poo about the mopey war crime lady emo poetry slam hour then welp

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Low Desert Punk posted:

kira nerys should've been a lesbian. she also should've dated dax. dax/kira makes way more sense than kira/odo and dax/worf

#LetKiraKissGirls

Kira clearly cares about other crap more than dating and shouldn't have been hitting anything beige and politically influential that darkened ds9's doorway

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Drone posted:

The Ent-D bridge from Generations is my favorite iteration of it, adding a few consoles to the sides where those... padding things (?) on the walls are.

Yeah. In an ideal world they would've added them with a bit more space, but that would've taken a complete set rebuild.

The padding things are drawers and access panels. They use them like once.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Sep 19, 2018

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I prefer DS9 Ops because there’s flat surfaces to put cups of coffee raktajino on. It makes it feel that bit more real, like people actually work there. Also, it’s actually busy with coming to and fro.

I’m not sure there’s a single flat horizontal surface on the Ent-D bridge. I’m guessing it puts a lot of automation on the computer that it’s not nearly as busy, considering it’s the hub of running the ship.

Also, I hate the standing consoles on Ent-E because they’re all just slightly too short. As someone with a bad back they make me wince.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The Enterprise-E had seatbelts in the bridge chairs. So instead of getting tossed to the floor when there was an attack, you were buckled up nice and tight so the console panel rocks flew directly at your skull and face.

An honorable death.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

I’m not sure there’s a single flat horizontal surface on the Ent-D bridge. I’m guessing it puts a lot of automation on the computer that it’s not nearly as busy, considering it’s the hub of running the ship.

That was the idea; that you wouldn't need that many people and controls would be simple, because the computer could do so much.

These days, though, I think we'd say that even if you didn't need many controls, you'd want lots of displays and visualisations, and people would still be there but in the role of monitoring and deciding which data should be promoted to the captain's attention.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

MikeJF posted:

That was the idea; that you wouldn't need that many people and controls would be simple, because the computer could do so much.

These days, though, I think we'd say that even if you didn't need many controls, you'd want lots of displays and visualisations, and people would still be there but in the role of monitoring and deciding which data should be promoted to the captain's attention.
This seemed to actually be the main purpose of Ops, and I kind of wonder how well that worked out when your Ops guy wasn't the night shift sleepless robot you can work like a dog.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nessus posted:

This seemed to actually be the main purpose of Ops, and I kind of wonder how well that worked out when your Ops guy wasn't the night shift sleepless robot you can work like a dog.

I mean maybe it was, but the only person ever actually using a station in Ops and saying things was Dax.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

MikeJF posted:

I mean maybe it was, but the only person ever actually using a station in Ops and saying things was Dax.
Oh I meant on the Enterprise-D. Like that was Data's console.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nessus posted:

Oh I meant on the Enterprise-D. Like that was Data's console.

Ohhhh.

Really, Ops was Spock's science station given a new name. But yeah, I always felt like it was way overloaded in function. Maybe on other ships the other stations do more but Data's just too quick.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Standing consoles are awful. Much like cashiers spending their day on their feet despite not moving around a lot, it's a terrible, terrible design which is set up for a specific range of heights and proportions.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

MikeJF posted:

It annoyed me that Dax, the science officer, was reduced to air traffic control.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Spocks science station kicks dick and I've always been sad that other Trek doesn't really have anything following from it. Great cost-saving measure.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

The_Doctor posted:

It annoyed me that Dax, the science officer, was reduced to air traffic control.

It is especially annoying because she is one of the few interestingly written science officers in the respect of being a science officer. I mean, don’t get me wrong, I really love Spock, but you don’t often see the science character who is also fun and kind of a trashfire, and who is totally down to go joyfully kill some random person with her friends from her old job while drinking like a tank

Usually it’s “science beep boop”

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

skasion posted:

Spocks science station kicks dick and I've always been sad that other Trek doesn't really have anything following from it. Great cost-saving measure.

Buy yeah, absolutely in general

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The Bloop posted:

Fair point. I’ve really got to try and rewatch this show, I’m forgetting even the things I liked about it...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The Bloop posted:

Interestingly she appears to be wearing something akin to the Discovery uniform.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Disco uniforms are clearly inspired by the Ent uniforms. The production in general is in a pretty similar visual style.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

(Malfunctioning) Emergency Holographic Science Officer: "This is the 'Science station.' This is where science people come."

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Pick posted:

It is especially annoying because she is one of the few interestingly written science officers in the respect of being a science officer. I mean, don’t get me wrong, I really love Spock, but you don’t often see the science character who is also fun and kind of a trashfire, and who is totally down to go joyfully kill some random person with her friends from her old job while drinking like a tank

Usually it’s “science beep boop”

Jadzia was fuckin down to party and that’s like all she cared about aside from cool science poo poo and being a weeb about Klingons.

Good character.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
The season 2 finale of ENT seems like they are really ramping up the Time Cold War and going in that direction because they ran out of Trek ideas they could rehash

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Windows 98 posted:

The season 2 finale of ENT seems like they are really ramping up the Time Cold War and going in that direction because they ran out of Trek ideas they could rehash

lol no they aren't don't worry it goes nowhere

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

MikeJF posted:

The padding things are drawers and access panels. They use them like once.

In season one, they were wood-grain slide panels.

Later on they became padded beige pop-off panels.

It seems they were a fairly easy background thing to change for parallel universes, possible futures, or other un-realities.

Shamelessly stolen from: http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/inconsistencies/enterprise-d-bridge.htm

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
The E bridge is a design step backward. The D design is a clear statement: round corners, soft edges, soft overhead light, no stairs, lots and lots of padded surfaces. Like, someone watched TOS, saw everyone getting ragdolled into the walls and floor every episode and thought "Starfleet engineers would probably read Kirk's logs and realize the bridge officers are getting concussed every ten minutes, they'd probably come up with ways to mitigate that."

Whoever designed the E bridge has clearly never fallen shin-first onto a metal staircase.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Powered Descent posted:

It seems they were a fairly easy background thing to change for parallel universes, possible futures, or other un-realities.

Shamelessly stolen from: http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/inconsistencies/enterprise-d-bridge.htm

mm, I love alternate-universe versions of things I'm familiar with. Almost always my fave episodes of shows because they show possible other creative directions, possibly ones that were abandoned in the writer's room when they conceived the show. Different color schemes, character ideas, etc. It's cool.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

tarlibone posted:

(Malfunctioning) Emergency Holographic Science Officer: "This is the 'Science station.' This is where science people come."

Can't go to Holodeck like the rest of the crew, smdh.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Brawnfire posted:

mm, I love alternate-universe versions of things I'm familiar with. Almost always my fave episodes of shows because they show possible other creative directions, possibly ones that were abandoned in the writer's room when they conceived the show. Different color schemes, character ideas, etc. It's cool.

:same:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

:same:

Same as seeing the Enterprise all the time, and then seeing a Miranda class, or the Master’s TARDIS, stuff like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The SG-1 episodes with that mirror thing, and the one where alternate SG-1 teams came pouring through the gate, including a Teal'C with a staff cannon on a strap.