Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Potsticker posted:

Pretty much it's ease of editing. You hardly see SNES hacking in general and even just translation patches can be a huge effort just to get text/the font to display correctly.
Well, Super Mario World is the most popular game in terms of romhacks period, and that's an SNES game.
But that is also due to ease of editing, Lunar Magic singlehandedly made level editing in that game popular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I actually think video games should shame gamers more often, they're really a dreadful bunch

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Oyster posted:

Your bad ranks had nothing to do with them in the first game, EX skills were introduced in the second game. The bosses had extra moves (one each) at an A or S rank, but you didn't get them.

huh, that's actually a good reward for doing well in the first game, having to deal with new moves.

and here these repeated slap fights (because this happens every time it comes up) made me think I had been missing something all this time, because I figured if it was in 2, it would have been in 1, as well.

Man it'd be nice if the Zero collection got ported to Switch, I really don't want to play those games on a portable again.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Dabir posted:

I've heard the X games are really heavily secured too, it's only within the last couple of years that people have started making any headway.

Really? I don't know too much about security stuff for SNES, I just noticed that SMW was insanely popular for romhack stuff and it was surprising that outside of the NES Megaman games there really wasn't anything out there.

Now that I'm thinking back on it though, weren't there a handful of battle network hacks for something or other? I think they all were just parts of bigger projects that fell through, but outside of the classic series it's the only thing I can remember getting anything.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

Phantasium posted:

huh, that's actually a good reward for doing well in the first game, having to deal with new moves.

and here these repeated slap fights (because this happens every time it comes up) made me think I had been missing something all this time, because I figured if it was in 2, it would have been in 1, as well.

Man it'd be nice if the Zero collection got ported to Switch, I really don't want to play those games on a portable again.

ZXA Hard Mode did that right, also. As much as I do like ZX more than ZXA - I felt ZXA was too gimmicky with the boss forms and preferred the simplicity of just having the guardians, and I didn't care about the map system since once you discover an area it's on the map anyway - ZXA did hard mode much, much better than ZX did by giving the bosses new patterns on top of the usual hard mode health restrictions that required new strategies to cope with.

Of course, Survival Road (boss rush mode where you fight all the bosses with only two subtanks) took that and threw it out the window going back to normal difficulty only and that really hosed with me.

Goddamn the ZX games were good.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

IronicDongz posted:

Well, Super Mario World is the most popular game in terms of romhacks period, and that's an SNES game.
But that is also due to ease of editing, Lunar Magic singlehandedly made level editing in that game popular.

Yeah, I thought about bringing SMW up because it is insanely popular as a romhack, but it's pretty telling that A) it's the first release for the system B) compared to the rest of the SNES's library it's a clear outlier especially if you discount hacks that are strict translation patches, which I feel like pretty much supports what I was saying before. Not that I think you're disagreeing with me because certainly Lunar Magic is specially made to edit just that one game.

I have heard that maybe there's been some headway on hacking Yoshi's Island? If so, I'm pretty interested to see what sort of stuff people do with that game and what types of movement tech comes out of that.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Most of the ZXA boss forms are functionally keys but a few of them are actually fun, if suboptimal, and I'm glad you can play around with them.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

Caphi posted:

Most of the ZXA boss forms are functionally keys but a few of them are actually fun, if suboptimal, and I'm glad you can play around with them.

Functionally keys is a really good way to put that. Bifrost and Queenbee were completely worthless. Argoyle/Ugoyle were fun, Vulturon was way better than he had any right to be, Chronoforce was the gimmick to spam during boss fights, but that's literally all I remember. Everything else was ZX/Aeolus/other guardians. At least ZX had a use for every from, ESPECIALLY in hard mode, with only LX being relegated to sort-of-gimmick and even then having invaluable frost dragons.

Speaking of frost dragons, it was also really cool that ZXA differentiated the two player characters with different charge moves on the different guardian forms. It really made the game worth playing as both Grey and Ashe, way more than the Vent/Aile barely visible differences.

Have I mentioned how great the ZX series is lately?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

ZX series is-- good?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I just really liked dicking around stages as different forms in ZXA. It kind of underlines the leap ZX made by finally ditching Zero all score attack all the time mode after Zero 4 pretty much deprecated it, just letting you screw around with different attack modes and movement modes and climbing up the walls of every stage in Inti's beautiful platforming engine, even if it was obvious that all the best forms had blades.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
LX is way better than "sort of gimmick but with frost dragons." The overhead naginata is about as strong as the zero saber but it hits approximately a third of the screen.

I also really dug base Model A. The homing lasers and giga-crush are both tremendously useful and do a lot to differentiate it from being "Model X but no second charge."

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I really liked how in ZX people reacted to you differently whether you were megamerged or not. I feel like the world building was a little more realized in the first game, but that the stage layout and structure was better in Advent. That being said, yeah the boss forms were better in the first one, but in general I liked how the core suits (ZX, 4 sages) were expanded on in Advent.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Potsticker posted:

I have heard that maybe there's been some headway on hacking Yoshi's Island? If so, I'm pretty interested to see what sort of stuff people do with that game and what types of movement tech comes out of that.

Honestly it's probably an easier starting point to begin with that mod of sonic 2 that turns it into yoshi's island

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

Total Clam

Schwarzwald posted:

LX is way better than "sort of gimmick but with frost dragons." The overhead naginata is about as strong as the zero saber but it hits approximately a third of the screen.

I also really dug base Model A. The homing lasers and giga-crush are both tremendously useful and do a lot to differentiate it from being "Model X but no second charge."

YES. I didn't particularly like that naginata since it locked movement for a bit too long, but that is absolutely something that I could see as a good thing even if I didn't particularly use it.

This is what makes those games good. Especially in ZXA, where the characters get different abilities.

Grey gets a wider homing shot, but Ashe gets Gemini Laser. Grey gets Ice Dragons in model L but Ashe gets ice crystals that can be used defensively, Grey gets fireballs with model F but Ashe gets bombs that enemies can be knocked into. There are so many different ways to play the games, and hard mode gives yet different ways to imagine the boss fights. Games are good, and I've been dreaming of ZX Extremus for years, especially after the cliffhanger ending that ZXA's hard mode had.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
The LX weapon is kinda like the z saber in mmz games in that it's better to always jump attack if you want to be mobile, just moreso. The z saber you can at least do the walking slash, but it's weaker than the jumping slash, which is in turn weaker than the standing slash combo which roots you in place. Which I love, by the way. There's a lot of depth to the z saber moveset just based on how it behaves based on how you're moving(or not moving).

That, plus the slick movement, plus the difficulty, is why I love mmz so much. You can throw the ranking system right out the window and lemme play on hard mode all day(although I wish it did not remove the standing slash combo, but I can also just play on normal mode and not charge the saber).

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Shame there is actually a correct move and it's the charge slash.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Absolutely not. The charge slash robs you of the cool death animations.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Boss forms may be gimmicky but you have to admit that transforming into the bosses you just blew up is goddamn amazing by itself, just think about playing as the mavericks in the X games just like you did with the Robot Masters in Mega Man Powered Up.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Dabir posted:

Shame there is actually a correct move and it's the charge slash.
Yeah, that's why I either play on hard or just ignore the charge :v:

speaking of the cool death animations, I thought until recently that they forgot to censor the blood splatters on the resistance guys who get shot at the start of the first game while they were censoring the rest of them from the western release.... but, as it turns out, they partially censored them. those nameless resistance soldiers have big dramatic blood splatters in the original. they still left some of it in the western version though, unlike the enemy deaths... maybe it's just more ok for the bad guys to cause deaths which are somewhat graphic, but zero cutting dudes in half messily isn't ok because he's the good guy.

I haven't played the japanese version of mmz1 to the end, I wonder if there's a blood effect with the full screen splash art of the pantheon getting cut in half in the last cutscene.

Also, I realized a bit ago that the hitspark when you cut enemies in half or blast through them with a charged shot in mmzx/mmzxa is actually just the mmz blood splatter recolored to a yellow-green shade so it looks like some kind of energy spark instead of blood.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Sep 19, 2018

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Aile coming back and being rad as hell in ZXA is also really good. You get the double whammy of rival battle and the knowledge that you from the previous game still kicks rear end and is basically better than you in the current game.

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.

OgretailFood posted:

just think about playing as the mavericks in the X games just like you did with the Robot Masters in Mega Man Powered Up.

Please don't do this to me, it's bad enough knowing Maverick Hunter will never get a sequel.

I have to admit though, the thought of trying to do the first platforming challenge for Sigma 1 as Flame Mammoth sounds painful hilarious.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I've only ever played the X series but I grabbed this because it's on sale. Getting my teeth kicked in by this game

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

The Bold Kobold posted:

Please don't do this to me, it's bad enough knowing Maverick Hunter will never get a sequel.

I have to admit though, the thought of trying to do the first platforming challenge for Sigma 1 as Flame Mammoth sounds painful hilarious.

Flame Mammoth, doing wall kicks and dash jumping all over the place

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

brand engager posted:

I've only ever played the X series but I grabbed this because it's on sale. Getting my teeth kicked in by this game

MM1 is a looooot rougher than the games that come after

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

brand engager posted:

If you press pause repeatedly while a weapon is hitting an enemy (particularly a boss) it will do a shitload more damage

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Sakurazuka posted:

If you press pause repeatedly while a weapon is hitting an enemy (particularly a boss) it will do a shitload more damage

This is especially helpful for the Yellow Devil who is probably one of the hardest bosses in any of the classic Mega Man games if you try and do him “legit”.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
You guys forgot to differentiate pause and the weapon selection menu. I can't remember off the top of my head if MMLC1 used the back/select button for the former.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Honestly, and legitimate question, what do the MMZ elves add that are huge, game-redefining changes that spark curiosity and encourage experimentation, and not just straight up player aids for helping newer players along? The game's difficulty is balanced around having the standard options in regards to its health grade scaling and everything, so if you're taking so much damage that you're needing an extra HP bar or two, you're not getting an A or S rank if you're taking that much damage anyways, so it's obviously not that you're not gonna get the A or S rank exclusive stuff, so where's the issue? Is it just fragility from being told that you're using a mechanic designed to be a helping hand as a it's intended?

To put it another way, if you're "annoyed that a game is penalizing you for engaging with its mechanics", in Mario Kart, do you get upset that Lakitu sets you back a distance and has a long pause between you going off the track and setting you back down to start again? You're just engaging with its mechanics, and it's punishing you.

Let's go.

Cyber Elves that fundamentally change gameplay.

The Cyber Elf that increases your movespeed.
The Cyber Elf that increases the timer.
The Cyber Elf that stuns enemies.
The Cyber Elf that attacks on your behalf.
The Cyber Elf that explodes after absorbing bullets.

All of these will change the way you interact with the world and a better game would have made itself harder but not penalised their use.

Your Lakitu example makes very little sense. I fall off the track in Mario Kart and am penalised time for doing so. A better analogy would be permanently losing speed every time you use an item in Mario Kart. Great I got lightning! I guess I can never use it!

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Natural 20 posted:

A better analogy would be permanently losing speed every time you use an item in Mario Kart. Great I got lightning! I guess I can never use it!
The "optimum" method to becoming as strong as possible in Final Fantasy 8 is to never use magic and to run away from every battle. Once you get the "Encounter None" item and can avoid random battles, you become like a god.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Zero doesn't have selection of special weapons like Mega Man does, so e.g. an Elf that does the whole "shoots upwards" thing could fill a similar role. It's different because it's just for one stage and you have to look for the Elf in the first place, but if there was not psychological element of "you KILL those, you know" and "also your rank now sucks, you suck", it'd be another story indeed. Most people would probably ignore them like most people ignore special weapons, but it'd be there and neat to toy around with.

Permanent Elves you could just use, as people said, like heart tanks and subtanks in the X games. I don't think anybody would call a heart tank an "easy mode for babies" (or even the armour upgrade which halfs damage and only costs you a varying combination of "get to a secret place" and/or "find another upgrade first") in the X games, but the Zero Elves which fulfil the exact same function but have to be found as well as upgraded with insanely tedious farming are suddenly a "crutch" that's meant "for newbies" because the game has drilled into your head that only a monster, a scrub and a monster scrub would dare you them.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Yeah, let's not forget, it's not "I found this cool Elf, I can now immediately use it" most of the time. It's "I found this cool elf, now I have to take a while and grind out a gently caress load of crystals to jam into it, and then my reward is an upgrade that makes the game lower my rank". You'd think the grind for money would be enough of a trade off for them, but then the game says that for taking the time to unlock this ability, you are not a good player.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Having to grind just to use them is way worse design decision than it lowering a rank that barely matters.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
With all this talk of playable bosses, I feel like a Star Allies styled Mega Man would be cool and good. Give me Proto Man mode, Bass mode, Roll mode, Duo mode, X mode, Zero mode, Vile mode . . .

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

I really liked what the "A day in the limelight" fangames did with that idea.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

SeANMcBAY posted:

This is especially helpful for the Yellow Devil who is probably one of the hardest bosses in any of the classic Mega Man games if you try and do him “legit”.

I've been playing 2.5 and they have a Blue Devil, the bastards. The break apart and reform sequence is even longer then his namesake's. The blocks move more quickly but come from a greater distance and, fortunately, you can kill him in less cycles with the right weapon as he has a longer vulnerability period. Still annoying boss design, though.

They also committed the cardinal sin of not allowing you to save the game between Wily Stages even though you continue from the start of each one after running out of lives, which are also a relic that needs to be buried. I realise that both of these thorns in my paw are de rigeur for classic MM games, but I still hate them.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Lives, bad saving, devils, yoku blocks and Quickman lasers need to be buried forever and never be used again and I will never stop saying that. It all belongs on the garbage heap of gaming history.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Simply Simon posted:

Lives, bad saving, devils, yoku blocks and Quickman lasers need to be buried forever and never be used again and I will never stop saying that. It all belongs on the garbage heap of gaming history.

Has there even been so much as a ROM hack that doesn't have any of them?

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

All this Mega Man talk got me in the mood to dust off my PSP and power up Powered Up. I quickly learned that my PSP screen is dying, as it randomly turns the image upside down, blacks out, or just generally looks like some of the animated avatars around here. So I checked the PSN store and it turns out MMPU is not on PSN... but MHX is?? What gives?

Wrex Ruckus fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 19, 2018

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

maybe they just don't want to give oilman more time in the spotlight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Natural 20 posted:

Let's go.

Cyber Elves that fundamentally change gameplay.

The Cyber Elf that increases your movespeed.
The Cyber Elf that increases the timer.
The Cyber Elf that stuns enemies.
The Cyber Elf that attacks on your behalf.
The Cyber Elf that explodes after absorbing bullets.

All of these will change the way you interact with the world and a better game would have made itself harder but not penalised their use.

Your Lakitu example makes very little sense. I fall off the track in Mario Kart and am penalised time for doing so. A better analogy would be permanently losing speed every time you use an item in Mario Kart. Great I got lightning! I guess I can never use it!

You literally listed a bunch of elves that don't fundamentally change the gameplay, they keep the gameplay the exact same but add bonuses that make the game easier for new players.

You aren't very good at this.