Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I loving hate having to traverse around Vivec

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

i pretty much never touch the ground so i do not relate

Morrowind: a bunch of reality breaking beings telling each other they don't have that problem

Poniard fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Sep 18, 2018

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Look the key to easy ground navigation is to realize you can surf down the buttresses linking the levels of the cantons without taking any fall damage.

Really the only one that annoys me is the Foreign Quarter because all the other cantons link up on their second levels but noooooo the stupid foreign quarter is only accessible on its first level so every time I need to go to the Mages Guild, I need to climb two drat ramps!

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Towns In Video Games All Bein Smaller Than Real Towns Be was not a particularly exciting insight 20 years ago and still isn't!!

The small compared to other games Morrowind map is kind of funny now though. It felt so massive back in the day. Keep that fog on.

It's hilarious when you turn off fog and crank up the view distance, you can just see Vivec plainly from Seyda Neen as soon as you get off the boat

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sky Shadowing posted:

Look the key to easy ground navigation is to realize you can surf down the buttresses linking the levels of the cantons without taking any fall damage.

Really the only one that annoys me is the Foreign Quarter because all the other cantons link up on their second levels but noooooo the stupid foreign quarter is only accessible on its first level so every time I need to go to the Mages Guild, I need to climb two drat ramps!

Great opportunities to practice acrobatics

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Enchant yourself some constant effect fortify acrobatics and that stops being a problem. Fortify athletics too. Who needs levitation when you have those?

Faster than a speeding arrow, more powerful than a dwemer centurion, able to leap Vivec cantons in a single bound... Is it a bird? Is it a cliff racer? No, it's Nerevarine!

Removing the athletics and acrobatics skills from the game is the worst crime Bethesda ever committed after Morrowind. Like honestly, who hasn't been at the bottom of the Solitude rock arch in Skyrim and thought "if it were Morrowind, I could jump right up into the city"?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
if you have extremely lovely stats and acrobatics / athletics you can die trying to canton surf

on the other hand when you're breaking your level1 body like the goon who tried to walk across America and fell over and puked 5 mins in, you will have such low fatigue that jamming jump as you go up and down ramps will easily give you 10,000 "jumps" and a couple acrobatics levels every time you walk around there.

I feel like the best way to amp up acrobatics is throw yourself off a giant mountain and survive the fall damage, or be completely exhausted and do a million one inch jumps every time you go up or down a grade

barter should have been like loving athletics or acrobatics, buying and selling poo poo is annoying as gently caress, it should just give you the max money the merchant will part with based on your skills/attributes/faction/etc instead of making you guess.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Wasn't there an image detailing how the largest city in Skyrim is still small as gently caress compared to Vivec?

Barn Owl
Oct 29, 2005
"text"

SniperWoreConverse posted:

if you have extremely lovely stats and acrobatics / athletics you can die trying to canton surf

I think it was Morrowind where you only take fall damage if you jump. walking off a ledge was just fine because it didn't factor in stats without a jump. I can definitely be wrong though.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

barter should have been like loving athletics or acrobatics, buying and selling poo poo is annoying as gently caress, it should just give you the max money the merchant will part with based on your skills/attributes/faction/etc instead of making you guess.

I like it in the early game, before you are 100 personality/speechcraft, when you take a penalty to disposition for a refused offer. I enjoyed the tension added by having to guess as high as I could go without offending the shopkeep. It's bugged where if you leave the dialogue screen, it resets to base disposition though. I do like being able to take 39 septims for a 40 septim silver vase instead of leaving money in the merchants pocket and tossing dead weight.

Maybe a system where the slider automatically sets to the max that you are guaranteed and stat based dice rolls to haggle beyond that.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Cat Mattress posted:

Enchant yourself some constant effect fortify acrobatics and that stops being a problem. Fortify athletics too. Who needs levitation when you have those?

- Said Tarhiel, moments before his initial Icarian Flight test.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Why the gently caress did they think to put Load Save, without any popup to warn you, right beside the Quicksave button.

God drat

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Node posted:

- Said Tarhiel, moments before his initial Icarian Flight test.

Tarhiel missed the critically important "constant effect" bit.

But even then, he still had three scrolls on him. He just needed to use one of them just before impact and he'd have been fine.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Cat Mattress posted:

Tarhiel missed the critically important "constant effect" bit.

But even then, he still had three scrolls on him. He just needed to use one of them just before impact and he'd have been fine.

Ah, true. I think he was too busy screaming to read a scroll, which is understandable.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Should have just had a 1 point slowfall enchantment

I miss the weirdness of old alteration, bring back swift swim

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Barn Owl posted:

I like it in the early game, before you are 100 personality/speechcraft, when you take a penalty to disposition for a refused offer. I enjoyed the tension added by having to guess as high as I could go without offending the shopkeep. It's bugged where if you leave the dialogue screen, it resets to base disposition though. I do like being able to take 39 septims for a 40 septim silver vase instead of leaving money in the merchants pocket and tossing dead weight.

Maybe a system where the slider automatically sets to the max that you are guaranteed and stat based dice rolls to haggle beyond that.

nah I mean "just gimme the max dude stop fuckin around. I'll still take the 39 just quit bullshitting me trying to start off with 25." You could still have permanently raise disposition by some fractional amount for every transaction. Having it go down by loving up the deal is kinda dumb imo. It's just business these dudes stand around as their job, you know?

also you can just buy and sell 1 arrow for 1 septim for an hour and max out disposition. That's kinda weird.

I like how they tied in the fact that NPCs never sleep with the dreams that come from Dagoth Ur. That was a cool thing I hadn't noticed the first time I played. They did do a lot of thinking to smooth over the limits of the game in ways that made sense. I think I only ever got that dialog after installing a mod that makes it so only certain people will give rumors about solsteim instead of literally every motherfucker who lives

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

my man have you heard of solstheim

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I don't remember, does snow slow you down like ash? if you had armor with a scarf or the right kind of helm you shouldn't get slowed down by ash gently caress ash

I wish there was some kind of non-fashion reason in these games to wear the different kinds of armors. Like the ash thing, or some kind of style skill (ex: bonus when using imperial anything), or iron is easier and cheaper to maintain than ebony or something. Fuckin arrille sells the best light armor you'll get for a while and it's a straight upgrade from all lesser armors. Hell, chitin is cheaper than boiled netch, lighter, has better protection, has better constitution, and has better enchanting properties. What the gently caress? I only use items I personally pick up and just use vendors to sell poo poo anymore.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Wear boiled netch anyway because it looks best you're going to be invincible in two hours anyway

Plus if you're a wizard no one can hit you anyway

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Can any of the Morrowind lua modding geniuses make a mod that sets the buy/sell price to the max/min the merchant would accept given their disposition and your barter skill/personality/luck etc? That would be pro.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Addamere posted:

Great opportunities to practice acrobatics

My first thought. Going up the ramps of The Foreign Quarter mean you get to be the Duracell Bunny. Jumping down mean you get to sprain your ankles a bit, which ALSO increases your Acrobatics skill!

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Stealing weapons early in Morrowind is wrong. Just start with Conjuration so you start with Bound Dagger. It's is a Fortify Short Blade 10 pts (aka actually hit things) 0 weight weapon that does 9-10 minimum damage and has fast animations.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

stealing is good

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Steal everything. Everything.

Had a fun moment in multiplayer Morrowind where my buddy stole from a shop and tried to sell it to the owner. Really cool that they took that into account, I'm pretty sure other Elder Scrolls games don't do that

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The other games just have the dumb stolen item identifier icon so every shopkeeper in the world knows they're stolen and won't accept them.

I guess every guard in Morrowind automatically knows every item you've ever stolen as soon as you commit a separate, isolated crime which is also stupid but

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
My friend ended up stealing some Indoril armor but he got caught on one of the pieces, which was an instant 3000 bounty. Then, as it turns out, wearing that armor makes you hated by Indoril guards forever. He ended up getting arrested and then got caught stealing all his stuff from the evidence locker which bumped him up to 9,000 bounty. So yeah that was kind of the end of that character. In multiplayer it spawns you at the nearest temple when you die so he kept getting oneshotted by the same Indoril guard over and over again.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

steal the redoran vault key from the upstairs drawers while the door is trying to close on you and keeps you out of view and then steal everything in the redoran vault

steal the entire game

steal the construction kit

steal todd howard

steal the deed to the zenimax office

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

gently caress todd howard can i steal micheal kirkbride instead

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

the 26 tweets of kirkbride sermon 1
https://twitter.com/mkirkbride/status/4159525600

Poniard fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Sep 18, 2018

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

tarhiel sidenote: TR's old ebonheart has a quest based around him. if you rescue him with slowfall he begrudgingly returns to his laboratory. if he dies you have to find a replacement wizard. It's good.

Node posted:

Speaking of big towns, about how many buildings and NPCs are in Old Ebonheart (in its current state,) Mr. Testicle?
"old ebonheart, the castle and the city has 165 interior cells, all of vivec combined has 148.
vivec takes up 15 exterior cells in the worldspace, old ebonheart takes up 4"

That was the last time I counted, even more ints were added to the city since then, its probably around 170.

NPC wise it beats me. 2-300?

It's out by the way, in case you didn't know

Cantorsdust posted:

Can any of the Morrowind lua modding geniuses make a mod that sets the buy/sell price to the max/min the merchant would accept given their disposition and your barter skill/personality/luck etc? That would be pro.
yeah, barter overhaul is on my todo list behind persuasion overhaul, training overhaul, and a leveling mod that doesn't break constantly for me (sorry gcd)

the third part of my overhaul series came out that makes the sixth house actually difficult
https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/46036/

tribunal rebalance:
https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/45713

bloodmoon rebalance:
https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/45714

to sum them up "These mods rebalance the expansions as if they shipped with Morrowind." Bloodmoon isn't all level 60 npcs. it's slightly more difficult than vvardenfell. Tribunal doesn't have level 40 shopkeepers. The Sixth House is all level 60-80 and is truly scary as gently caress

mbt fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Sep 19, 2018

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Wasn't there an image detailing how the largest city in Skyrim is still small as gently caress compared to Vivec?

Probably this one:

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Skyrim was beautiful when it came out and really scratched the itch for a new Elder Scrolls game, but even back in 2011 I thought they were taking the piss with the size of the towns and cities. Solitude was just stupid and I couldn't believe it was supposed to be the capital city. It had less going on than Pelagiad.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mitochondritom posted:

Skyrim was beautiful when it came out and really scratched the itch for a new Elder Scrolls game, but even back in 2011 I thought they were taking the piss with the size of the towns and cities. Solitude was just stupid and I couldn't believe it was supposed to be the capital city. It had less going on than Pelagiad.

I had to be told Solitude was the capital. Just wandering around and doing things, I thought Whiterun and Windhelm were much more active and important cities.

Riften even feels bigger and more important than Solitude.

One thing I did like about Skyrim, which I hope they expand to future games, is that not everyone had a purpose as a merchant or quest NPC. There were a few named but pointless NPCs in Morrowind, but most had a purpose even if only to be killed by a writ or serve as window dressing as farm slaves. Skyrim actually had normal people doing normal jobs, like working at a farm or mill, hunting or poaching out in the wild, and so on. It's neat. I like it. Hopefully future games will have big cities and little settlements where there's plenty of people to just get lost interacting with in their everyday lives.

Addamere fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Sep 19, 2018

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
TES6 needs to have an Athkatla city, one the size of Daggerfall (the city.)

I can dream.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Addamere posted:

I had to be told Solitude was the capital. Just wandering around and doing things, I thought Whiterun and Windhelm were much more active and important cities.

Riften even feels bigger and more important than Solitude.

To be fair this is true of plenty of capitals in the real world as well.

quote:

One thing I did like about Skyrim, which I hope they expand to future games, is that not everyone had a purpose as a merchant or quest NPC. There were a few named but pointless NPCs in Morrowind, but most had a purpose even if only to be killed by a writ or serve as window dressing as farm slaves. Skyrim actually had normal people doing normal jobs, like working at a farm or mill, hunting or poaching out in the wild, and so on. It's neat. I like it. Hopefully future games will have big cities and little settlements where there's plenty of people to just get lost interacting with in their everyday lives.

Isn't every non-guard NPC in Morrowind named?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Addamere posted:

uh i dunno which version of morrowind you played 'cause there are asstons of npcs in that game that serve no purpose other than populating a town

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

raminasi posted:

Isn't every non-guard NPC in Morrowind named?

Basically.

You can also add the Dark Brother assassins from Tribunal and the berserkers, fryse hags, reavers, and werewolves from Bloodmoon.

Bloodmoon was full of respawning nameless enemy NPCs. They've just kept doing that in Oblivion and Skyrim afterwards.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Yeah you can see the beginnings of Oblivion in Bloodmoon (literally, a bit, if you wait to take the skull back to Oddfrid the Mumbling in his side quest until AFTER Bloodmoon's main quest is done he delivers a cryptic prophecy foreshadowing the story of Oblivion). Not to mention all the stuff with unnamed enemies, though admittedly that might have been so you'd always have meaningless NPCs to eat to sate your werewolf hunger.

Like in Oblivion in Shivering Isles you can see occasional hints of Skyrim, specifically with the crafting of armor at different levels.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
In terms of plot foreshadowing, Tribunal's Eno Romari spells it out pretty clearly.

quote:

Our beliefs are very simple, dear friend. The blessed Tribunal, though once filled with glory, are no longer the gods they once were. As with the tides and Tamriel's moons, all cosmic powers will wax and wane. But, when gods die, it creates ripples throughout the lands. The passing of the Three will be a prelude to the end of this era, and the beginning of the next. The followers of the End of Times are making ourselves ready for this to happen.

We realize that the end of the era will bring many changes. We believe that the gates of Oblivion will open, and the multitude of daedra will roam this world freely. Some might tell you that this is a good thing, that we are descended from the daedra and it will be a return to the natural order of things. I know differently, though. The coming age will be a time of great horror.

The Daedra Princes are not our ancestors. Nor are they our allies. They will wash over the land, destroying all that man and mer have built over these thousands of years. The only protection from this scourge will be our true ancestors that have gone before us and watch over us even now. Many of our followers choose to participate in the Cleansing, to prepare the way for the rest of us. It is a sacrifice to be sure, but it is for the greater good.

It is a glorious ritual, friend %PCName. Our followers cleanse themselves of all of their troubles, all of their burdens here on this earth. They send themselves ahead to the ancestors, spreading our word, making ready for when we shall all join them in our fight against the daedric hordes.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
and instead of all that, sean bean dies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

raminasi posted:

To be fair this is true of plenty of capitals in the real world as well.

Yeah, compare Albany to NYC.