Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Remember when Chapter 4 ended and that was most definitely going to be Paranatural's longest chapter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Probably Magic posted:

The ultimate tribute to Hunter x Hunter after a dodgeball arc, a hiatus over health concerns.

Even their life is anime.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Probably Magic posted:

The ultimate tribute to Hunter x Hunter after a dodgeball arc, a hiatus over health concerns.

As HxH comes off of hiatus this week, Paranatural enters into it's own. Kind of poetic if you think about it.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I only got into Paranatural like, three weeks ago. I like it.

Do y'all normally go all Chicken Little whenever it goes on hiatus?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

SKULL.GIF posted:

Remember when Chapter 4 ended and that was most definitely going to be Paranatural's longest chapter?

Chapter 6 will just be the walk home but will take 450 pages

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Renaissance Robot posted:

I for one was joking

But also not because I feel like I've seen this happen so many times before

put your finger back in the dam you've unleashed formless terror on them all

y'all think this is a hiatus, follow john allison's webcomics. he will show you the true form of the hiatus

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Malpais Legate posted:

Do y'all normally go all Chicken Little whenever it goes on hiatus?

RIP Paranatural, 2011-2018, killed by an angry wrist and growing up.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Patware posted:

put your finger back in the dam you've unleashed formless terror on them all

y'all think this is a hiatus, follow john allison's webcomics. he will show you the true form of the hiatus

John Allison is almost always up to something, though. Like, right now Bad Machinery/ Scary go Round is on hiatus, but Giant Days and his new one are out.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
As mentioned, Zach was forged in the fires of anime and your puny Western hiatuses pale in comparison to the Japanese masters' like Togashi and Miura. Only GRRM can compare.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Dias posted:

Togashi and Miura.

That's entry level hiatus, the kind of stuff where the mangaka is gone for a year or so and then they come back. When a manga has been on hiatus for almost a decade, and fans have to check to make sure nobody has passed away, that's when you have become a master.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Brought To You By posted:

That's entry level hiatus, the kind of stuff where the mangaka is gone for a year or so and then they come back. When a manga has been on hiatus for almost a decade, and fans have to check to make sure nobody has passed away, that's when you have become a master.

RPGWorld is coming back any day you guys! I can feel it!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

readingatwork posted:

RPGWorld is coming back any day you guys! I can feel it!

That canonically ended almost exactly a year ago, actually.

https://www.cartoonnetwork.com/video/ok-ko/a-heros-fate-episode.html
http://ianjq.tumblr.com/post/166049167579/here-it-is-the-final-rpg-world-comic-a-recent

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

pik_d posted:

Chapter 6 will just be the walk home but will take 450 pages

After 8 year, we will finally start Max’s fourth day in Mayview.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Brought To You By posted:

Finally megatokyo's update schedule makes sense

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
well, see you all next year

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Tollymain posted:

well, see you all next year
Oh, please, you were in the Homestuck thread, you know exactly what to expect over the next three months.

So do I, and I'm not gonna miss a single page of it. :getin: :suspense: :kheldragar:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
youre right, we should close the thread after a couple days

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I mean I wouldn't be shocked if this was the end (webcomics after all) but yeah Zack still seems passionate so if I was a betting man my money would be on them coming back fresh next year and I'm fully supportive of a hiatus, everyone deserves a good long break from work every now and then, especially when you've got a work related injury like they do.

And yeah some time off to wrangle the story and edit it sleeker would not hurt.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Maybe he'll work up a buffer so we won't miss updates as often. Plus having something laid out several pages before publishing allows for better editor work.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

This hiatus is nothing. Now, the decade between Sherlock Holmes dying and returning? That's a hiatus.

I hope after this Zach comes back with cool robot arms.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Best thing about all of your comments so far is that I discovered the disgustingly adorable Blindsprings, so thanks for that :allears:

Also if you want to see TRUE webcomic hiatus, look at Broodhollow. Straub remade the beginning of chapter 3 like three times since last year, and the current last page was posted in July.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I left a comment thanking them for making a really good comic and Zack was pretty happy with all the encouraging words on social media and said they are p happy to finally take their first day of break in a long time. :unsmith:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i hope the wrist heals, in time

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Scaramouche posted:

Finally megatokyo's update schedule makes sense
As I check that front page once again, I'm reminded of the three volumes of megatokyo I still own and the fact that I still have no idea what is going on anymore. Because now it's apparently the feudal era and there are more ninjas than there were before.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Congrats to Zack for the chapter finisher. I hope the break is good for them and their wrist! :)

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Azran posted:

Best thing about all of your comments so far is that I discovered the disgustingly adorable Blindsprings, so thanks for that :allears:

Also if you want to see TRUE webcomic hiatus, look at Broodhollow. Straub remade the beginning of chapter 3 like three times since last year, and the current last page was posted in July.

broodhollow is insanely dead, so i'm not sure that's the example you want to bring up

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

PleasingFungus posted:

broodhollow is insanely dead, so i'm not sure that's the example you want to bring up

At least Local 58 is alive and well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI2PyUvTEUc

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
This comic is mad good when you're binging through it but when you hit the end and wind up hanging on each issue it is much less good.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Plug Life is probably the only guest comic I wanted to be real more than this one.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

beep beep

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I got some Paranatural vibes off the latest Never Satisfied. The girl with the bird on her head seems to be channeling Max. That "huh?" "huh?" with the fixed smile as she gets thrown really reminds me of Zach's kind of humor.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I do think some of these younger artists would be better served doing smaller projects with a very clear scope of how it's going to play out.

These monolithic stories are great, but it consumes you utterly and seems to get unhealthy very quickly. Hussie was literally spending every waking hour on Homestuck (although to be fair he did start with Problem Sleuth), and Zack of course has the wrist issues. It gets even worse because fans get very invested in the story, adding another potentially toxic element to the whole thing. It's bad enough that some not-insignificant portion of Zack's livelihood depends upon Paranatural being updates, but there's likely a decent chunk of lovely people that give them grief every time an update is missed. poo poo, even if there isn't, you still likely feel bad whenever you miss an update, regardless of how nice people are about it.

I recall ggdg from Cucumber Quest saying she regrets her first independent project being CQ because it's consumes so much of her time. And, not surprisingly, CQ has been on a hiatus all summer long. It was started up the same month as Paranatural, and is maybe halfway through the story. I'd just hate to see extremely talented people get burned out on stuff like this.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

More comics than not on my reading list are on hiatus, even some that aren't. All the good comics die young. :smith:

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Cucumber Quest at least has managed to stay mostly on track with it's plot and ggdg still hasn't been able to get it any further then maybe half-way done at this point.

Zack's dug a much, much bigger hole for themselves, considering the story has bloated to a massive conspiracy mystery involving at least five distinct sides (The Paranormal Activity Club, the Consortium, the Lady, and two factions we barely know yet in the Brotherhood of Man and the Circle of Jerks) with there being several floating players that may or may not be attached to one, multiple, or none of these groups. The main cast has bloated to the point where who were once side characters are now stealing months worth of strips (Cody) and have overloaded Checkov's Gun to the point of misfiring because now everyone's scouring the old pages after some of the reveals from Chapters 4 and 5. If they are ever going to finish the strip, Zack's gonna have to start pruning branches off this project and get some outside help to pick up the pace because at this point they're going to spend the rest of their life finishing the current semester of Max's story.

What I'm saying is that if Zack walks away at this point to do something else for a while I'd be sad but not surprised.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Here's a bump to make sure the thread doesn't fall into archives before the new year.

Favorite Johnny lines, y'all? I'm still partial to his entire conversation with Max through the fence.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

PMush Perfect posted:

Favorite Johnny lines, y'all? I'm still partial to his entire conversation with Max through the fence.

Words before murds.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Nerderer!

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
I'mma passa FIST through your FACE.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

PMush Perfect posted:

Here's a bump to make sure the thread doesn't fall into archives before the new year.

I still use "On a scale of yes to no" on a regular basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

"What? Sabotage?" "YOU did that!"