Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

TheChirurgeon posted:

*looks at the smoking crater in front of a Shadowsword where Abaddon used to be* gonna disagree, friendo

Unf unf unf, gently caress me harder, Crush Them Daddy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard
Aug 3, 2014

Paul Blart: Mall Blart

TheChirurgeon posted:

*looks at the smoking crater in front of a Shadowsword where Abaddon used to be* gonna disagree, friendo

At least you now have a "fun" story to tell

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Appreciate a second opinion on which head I should use for the Farseer. The way the hair sweeps alongside the robes on the third one is nice but the weird half helmet just looks unfitting. Not sure how much of that I can trim away.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Shockeh posted:

I'd like to see significantly less rulebloat; Some of the ideas are good, but where possible we need to reuse mechanics that already exist.

Using your very first example:

If we examine this, you're basically just increasing the AP by a further -1, but making another rule interaction to remember. Bolters are S4, and don't get fired at non-Infantry in statistically significant quantities that hit and wound to care anyway. So if you wanted to implement this, the much more elegant solution is just 'Make Bolters -2', and accept that fine, once in a blue moon it's going to cause an extra wound on a Rhino. But who cares?

I don't disagree regular Marines (especially their various Infantry types) need significant help, and I'm also not agreeing with some of these changes, but if you are going to propose change, propose change that doesn't needlessly bloat the ruleset.

That "more elegant fix" is also going to horrifically increase the effectiveness of Bolters against Marines and other 3+ save infantry, which is a major "gently caress no" unless you want Jetbike Captains to be the actual best unit in the game.

It's almost as if I've considered the ramifications of the (fan)changes I suggested. Huh.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Cooked Auto posted:

Appreciate a second opinion on which head I should use for the Farseer. The way the hair sweeps alongside the robes on the third one is nice but the weird half helmet just looks unfitting. Not sure how much of that I can trim away.

I prefer the middle one.

Wizard
Aug 3, 2014

Paul Blart: Mall Blart

Cooked Auto posted:

I really dig the first. I think the second would fit perfectly if you using the alaitoc craftworld

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Cooked Auto posted:

1st one definitely.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Cooked Auto posted:

the bare head looks great. The hood is decent, the helmet is meh

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I like the helmet, it's more interesting.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
First one. I like the concept of the hood but it’s a bit too small and the fantasy helmet just looks goofy to me.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
The helmet would be :krad: if you could trim it to look more like Magneto's helmet.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Corrode posted:

I posted a couple reports of my games at Battlefield Birmingham on Goonhammer.

Day 1: http://www.goonhammer.com/subdomains/forums/corrode-at-battlefield-birmingham-14-day-1/
Day 2: http://www.goonhammer.com/subdomains/forums/corrode-at-battlefield-birmingham-14-day-2/

Great event and one I fully recommend going to if you're in the UK.

I only had time to read the first battle but I appreciate how you explain not just what you did but additionally why, and whether or not it was a good idea. For example, you talk about why the slam captain would have been a much better opponent for the wraith guard; those are excellent details some other BP writers omit.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Cooked Auto posted:

Windmill slam #2.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Funny enough I dislike the first one the most because of the receding hairline and too much forehead. If I try to fix that somehow I might like it more but right it just bugs me a bit.
But then again I've never really liked the Glade Guard kit all that much as well because it's an utter pain to assemble so it might also colour my perception as well. :cheeky:

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Cooked Auto posted:

Funny enough I dislike the first one the most because of the receding hairline and too much forehead. If I try to fix that somehow I might like it more but right it just bugs me a bit.
But then again I've never really liked the Glade Guard kit all that much as well because it's an utter pain to assemble so it might also colour my perception as well. :cheeky:

I like it because it’s got that look of elvish contempt and reminds me of Weaving’s Elrond which fits pretty well.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Maneck posted:

There's no possible way you actually read those six (6) battle reports before complaining that the content he created isn't good enough.

I don't need to read text to notice a lack of images??

Corrode posted:

Yeah I agree, I totally intended to take photos and then once I found myself 30 minutes into the tournament with most of my army back on the tray it slipped my mind a bit. It also made it kinda difficult to recall the exact moves in a game, especially when I played on the same board twice and both guys had slam captains and Mephiston :negative:

I was really hoping they were just not loading, especially with the first line being "great-looking eldar". I didn't think about the time aspect though, but the writing is nice, if a bit technical leaning, though my favourite battle reports are those dressed up to be like POV accounts.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Sep 19, 2018

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Jack B Nimble posted:

I only had time to read the first battle but I appreciate how you explain not just what you did but additionally why, and whether or not it was a good idea. For example, you talk about why the slam captain would have been a much better opponent for the wraith guard; those are excellent details some other BP writers omit.

Thanks! To be honest that's the stuff I remember - the key events and what might or might not have changed them. God knows I don't know what Maelstrom cards we drew or what points we scored except when it was super relevant (like my last game where I scored a huge number of points and still got massacred) and no-one wants to read that stuff anyway unless something else makes it interesting.

I'd like to try and do more long-form battle reports (with pictures, ijyt) but especially coming off a tournament and writing about all five games, it's better to keep it brief and focused. The drat thing is 5,000 words already.

ijyt posted:

I was really hoping they were just not loading, especially with the first line being "great-looking eldar". I didn't think about the time aspect though, but the writing is nice, if a bit technical leaning, though my favourite battle reports are those dressed up to be like POV accounts.

I'm an accountant by profession so technical-leaning is kind of how it goes. For one-off reports I like to try and bookend them with some fluff, especially if there's a good hook to it, but with 5 games from a tournament setting that can be hard to achieve. I wish I could find the report I did years ago for an Apocalypse game I played with a friend where I wrote a whole in-universe report to go with it, but I think it's been lost to the Internet.

Living Image fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Sep 19, 2018

Shroud
May 11, 2009
I'm looking to get started playing 40k. I've read a poo poo-load of fluff, so I know in general what everyone does/can do/doesn't do on the table. Trying to decide between White Scars and Harlequins, but really leaning towards the Harlequins. I've never played or even watched anyone play. Would choosing the harlequins be a very bad idea? I feel that most likely I'll luck into a a win here or there, but mostly get wiped off the table in the first couple turns. I'm not going to get salty about losing, so being competitive isn't a huge deal. Continuing on that theme, I don't want to do anything that's gimmicky - really just want to play and have both people enjoy the game. Am I setting myself up for a world of hurt here? I have the painting thread bookmarked (never done that either). Any advice would be appreciated.

Also, Badcast is great. You guys are doing a great job.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Shroud posted:

White Scars or Harlequins?

I think you’d get more mileage out of Harlequins. They’re interesting and not many people play them so you’d have a lot of fun messing with people’s expectations. Additionally you can pepper in Aeldar or Drukhari easily enough so it gives you a good number of expansion options.

White Scars are neat but suffer from being a Space Marine army in 8th and you might regret missing the more flavorful and powerful options.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

ijyt posted:

Pictures are a great. They enhance battle reports. The text consisted of reports on battles in a tournament. If someone has the spare thinking time to plan and take pics during a tournament, great. But even noting the details of the games enough to do a write up is a good effort in that context.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Maneck posted:

Pictures are a great. They enhance battle reports. The text consisted of reports on battles in a tournament. If someone has the spare thinking time to plan and take pics during a tournament, great. But even noting the details of the games enough to do a write up is a good effort in that context.

Ok but the game has a strong visual component. Tournament lists are already very dry and boring most of the time. Pictures are good. Pictures enhance things. Be aware that thinking pictures in battle reports is better than just battle reports does not mean I am saying his content is bad, as you seem a bit confused by that part.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

PierreTheMime posted:

I think you’d get more mileage out of Harlequins. They’re interesting and not many people play them so you’d have a lot of fun messing with people’s expectations. Additionally you can pepper in Aeldar or Drukhari easily enough so it gives you a good number of expansion options.

White Scars are neat but suffer from being a Space Marine army in 8th and you might regret missing the more flavorful and powerful options.

The other side of this is that Harlequins, while strong and flavorful, are a really weird first army for a new player because they flat out ignore so many mechanics. Having something resembling fly and 4+ invuln saves army wide will mean not having to interact much with some of the basic game systems.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord
This is true. I come from playing Nids first so my opinion is a little skewed toward the special rules factions. What’s morale, again?

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Shroud posted:

I'm looking to get started playing 40k. I've read a poo poo-load of fluff, so I know in general what everyone does/can do/doesn't do on the table. Trying to decide between White Scars and Harlequins, but really leaning towards the Harlequins. I've never played or even watched anyone play. Would choosing the harlequins be a very bad idea? I feel that most likely I'll luck into a a win here or there, but mostly get wiped off the table in the first couple turns. I'm not going to get salty about losing, so being competitive isn't a huge deal. Continuing on that theme, I don't want to do anything that's gimmicky - really just want to play and have both people enjoy the game. Am I setting myself up for a world of hurt here? I have the painting thread bookmarked (never done that either). Any advice would be appreciated.

Also, Badcast is great. You guys are doing a great job.

I'm going to be unpopular and say pick the models you like the look of the most and then play a few games with a unit Vs something else to see if it gels with your style, then pad it out.

Ultimately you'll buy everything anyway it's the way of the ham.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

richyp posted:

I'm going to be unpopular and say pick the models you like the look of the most and then play a few games with a unit Vs something else to see if it gels with your style, then pad it out.

Ultimately you'll buy everything anyway it's the way of the ham.

This really is the best way to look at it. Rules change but your models stick around so it's really important to choose an army who's aesthetics you enjoy. Remember you're almost certainly going to spend much more time painting and building models than playing the game.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Pendent posted:

This really is the best way to look at it. Rules change but your models stick around so it's really important to choose an army who's aesthetics you enjoy. Remember you're almost certainly going to spend much more time painting and building models than playing the game.

I agree with this, however, it’s also how I ended up with a Blood Angels army of all Assault Marines and Baal Predators, which I now don’t want to play with because they’re poo poo.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Broken Record Talk posted:

I agree with this, however, it’s also how I ended up with a Blood Angels army of all Assault Marines and Baal Predators, which I now don’t want to play with because they’re poo poo.

Baal Predators can probably be made to work and I'd just say the assault marines count as company vets or something.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Cooked Auto posted:

I think Farseers and Spiritseers have goofy helmets as part of their charm so I like the third one. And I say this not just because I am using a very similar head for one of my spiritseers. I think it ended up meshing fine once painted.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Pendent posted:

The other side of this is that Harlequins, while strong and flavorful, are a really weird first army for a new player because they flat out ignore so many mechanics. Having something resembling fly and 4+ invuln saves army wide will mean not having to interact much with some of the basic game systems.

The kit for the basic troops is also frustrating as all hell since it doesn't give nearly enough special weapons.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Cooked Auto posted:

Third one, but I am a goofy-helmet-enjoyer.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!

Broken Record Talk posted:

Always the big downside that should be told to new players. One faq or rule change an the model or unit can just be bad. Just the way of things, not to disuade them but to emphasise aesthetics over in game play when getting in.

Sucks about the blood angels man.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Blood Angels are cool, Assault Marines just suck bad.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

For_Great_Justice posted:

Always the big downside that should be told to new players. One faq or rule change an the model or unit can just be bad. Just the way of things, not to disuade them but to emphasise aesthetics over in game play when getting in.

Sucks about the blood angels man.

That's why the best advice I've received so far is get one of each apart from troops, it's more fun and makes it easier to adjust to game changes

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Pendent posted:

Baal Predators can probably be made to work and I'd just say the assault marines count as company vets or something.

Baal Preds are just a Razorback with slightly more guns at this point. They used to be cool because of the AV13 front and being Fast which meant they could do doughnuts all over the field while blazing away, now they're just a big nothing.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Corrode posted:

Baal Preds are just a Razorback with slightly more guns at this point. They used to be cool because of the AV13 front and being Fast which meant they could do doughnuts all over the field while blazing away, now they're just a big nothing.

They've got the strat that lets them advance 6+d6" so I feel like there has to be a use, even if it's just doing objective stuff late game.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

Do Baal predators still have assault flamers or did they go heavy? I feel like its ment to go the distance with a strat like that an torch stuff but you can only fire assault after advance.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Do Baal predators still have assault flamers or did they go heavy? I feel like its ment to go the distance with a strat like that an torch stuff but you can only fire assault after advance.

They're heavy because of course they are.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Weren't they initially assault in the index before being errata'd to be heavy?

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

Booley posted:

They're heavy because of course they are.

:signings: Part of me knew the answer, yet still hope poked its head out only to be dashed once more.

So its just a faster box that wasn't thought or altered in any faq. I know its a small thing compared to everything else but what does it do beside sit an hope something wanders into its range?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

:signings: Part of me knew the answer, yet still hope poked its head out only to be dashed once more.

So its just a faster box that wasn't thought or altered in any faq. I know its a small thing compared to everything else but what does it do beside sit an hope something wanders into its range?

Nothing is good enough for hams.