Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Max Wilco posted:

So I'm on the cusp of creating an account on the Games Workshop site so I can wish-list sets to remember for later. However, before I do so, I wanted to ask what site people most recommend for ordering minis and materials. Someone mentioned Miniature Market, but I find their site a little hard to browse. It looks like you can get some GW stuff for about 15% off or so, but they've got a higher price point for free shipping ($99 for free shipping vs. Games Workshop's $65).

The other I found was TheWarStore, which I think is also listed in the OP. Their site seems a lot better organized, but I couldn't find any info on shipping deals. It doesn't seem like it's a lot for US shipping, though.

I also wanted to ask about some of the others I had come across. One was Warlord Games, the other was Magister Militum. Both seem to be based out of the UK. I found them while looking for more info on samurai minis.

Last one is Hoards O' Bits, which I think someone recommended to me as a place to buy individual mini pieces for cheap.

I just wanted to ask if anyone had any experience with any the sellers, or if there was one they preferred over the other.

Miniature Market's always had the cheapest and fastest shipping for me. I regularly order stuff from them, it gets sent via US mail, and it arrives about three days after I place my order, so normal first-class postage.

Miniature stuff doesn't weigh much, so volume is what drives your cost. If you're ordering a ton of poo poo, you want to go to one of the free shipping rates. Otherwise, it's very literally not worth your time.

The War Store does flat shipping, but they also determine what's cheapest for them. Typically this means they fudge and go with media mail rates or the FedEx equivalent - it usually takes two weeks for something to arrive from TWS. I play Infinity and buy hobby supplies from them, and their prices have been higher on average across the board.

The exception is that TWS will do deeper discounts on their clearance sales.

Personally, I'd go with MM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Hobbytitan is another fairly big GW bits reseller.

Noble Knight has a huge selection even if they don't always have the best prices and their website is a chore to browse.

The max discount thing keeps GW competition fairly level, but I also buy a fair amount of PP stuff and frequently go through Game Nerdz, Discount Games Inc, and Chaosorc who also stock GW.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Related, Ebay also does 15% off and is free shipping. Sometimes you get roped by the "order now, and then we place the order with GW, so you wind up waiting two weeks" thing, but it usually isn't a big deal.

The great thing about Ebay though, is that they have started putting up 15% (or more) coupons out more frequently, bumping that sweet discount up to 27.5%.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I got this tank and it has these bubbly holes in it. I'm not really sure what to do with them to make them pop. I want it to look sickly though. Any suggestions for color/technique for these parts? They're all over the tank.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

A drybrush with one of the nurgle paints maybe? They might just pop (heh) if they're lighter than the armour itself.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Gritty brown oil wash dribbled out of the holes, and then edge highlight the rims of the popped blisters in an ochre or yellow?

head58
Apr 1, 2013

darnon posted:

The max discount thing keeps GW competition fairly level, but I also buy a fair amount of PP stuff and frequently go through Game Nerdz, Discount Games Inc, and Chaosorc who also stock GW.

Discount Games Inc (NOT “Discount Games” on eBay. Avoid them) bumps up the discount to 25% if you order more than $100 of GW stuff, and have free shipping over $30. The guy who runs DGI is awesome and I thoroughly endorse them if your local place doesn’t meet your needs.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
I heartily endorse Ministomp as long as you don't mind doing it all through e-mail. But he's quick and responsive and well-priced. And you're supporting a third world country.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

head58 posted:

Discount Games Inc (NOT “Discount Games” on eBay. Avoid them) bumps up the discount to 25% if you order more than $100 of GW stuff, and have free shipping over $30. The guy who runs DGI is awesome and I thoroughly endorse them if your local place doesn’t meet your needs.

Is this Doc?

bonds0097 posted:

And you're supporting a third world country.
Michigan?

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

grassy gnoll posted:

Gritty brown oil wash dribbled out of the holes, and then edge highlight the rims of the popped blisters in an ochre or yellow?

Yeah gonna do this mmm.

Anyone know a good discounted retailer online for canada?

Harvey Mantaco fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Sep 19, 2018

head58
Apr 1, 2013

berzerkmonkey posted:

Is this Doc?

The guy who runs DGI? It’s Jay Larsen, he’s mainly a Warmachine player/podcaster.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Doc's Discount Games out of Ohio, frequently selling on eBay, is different. My experience there has been... spotty. Some orders have been fine and others took long times to ship to the point of needing to file eBay claims to get things moving.

I didn't know Discount Games Inc also offered extra discounts on GW stuff; cool to know. I did know they do similar for Privateer Press stuff on >$100 orders. Game Nerdz is still usually cheaper for WarmaHordes models with no minimum purchase, although you need to add items to your cart to show the discounted price rather than MAP.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

darnon posted:

Doc's Discount Games out of Ohio, frequently selling on eBay, is different. My experience there has been... spotty. Some orders have been fine and others took long times to ship to the point of needing to file eBay claims to get things moving.
Yeah, this is the Doc I was referring to. I never had a problem with him, though I moved on when GW set the discount limit at 15% - with shipping, it wasn't worth it anymore.

I think some of the smaller sellers now pull the eBay stunt where you order, and then they place the order with GW, and once it is received, you finally get your stuff. Doc's might be selling on spec and running into delays on GW's end and stuff like that always reflects poorly on the seller (which, in all fairness, it should.)

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
The Deathwing Terminators are assembled and primed. I started painting the banner holder (the one I messed up with the gluing).

quote:

thread advice on where to shop

Thanks for the feedback. Sound like Miniature Market might be a good way to go, though I'll certainly check out some of the other storefronts.

I'd still like to ask, though, if there's any advantages with ordering directly from Games Workshop's own site, and if anyone else orders from them directly.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Max Wilco posted:

I'd still like to ask, though, if there's any advantages with ordering directly from Games Workshop's own site, and if anyone else orders from them directly.

Um, you can get stuff shipped free to a GW store with no minimum order? I've ordered some dice through them because it's not really worth shopping around for a 15% discount on 12 bucks.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Um, you can get stuff shipped free to a GW store with no minimum order? I've ordered some dice through them because it's not really worth shopping around for a 15% discount on 12 bucks.

Oh yeah, I know you can do that. I've considered that, even though the clerk at the GW store nearest me isn't especially sociable. I meant more so ordering directly to your doorstep.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Max Wilco posted:

Oh yeah, I know you can do that. I've considered that, even though the clerk at the GW store nearest me isn't especially sociable. I meant more so ordering directly to your doorstep.

They also have free delivery on orders over $65, but I doubt that will beat the 15% discount very often.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
The only "advantage" is that some things are webstore exclusive so enjoy paying MSRP and shipping.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I got this tank and it has these bubbly holes in it. I'm not really sure what to do with them to make them pop. I want it to look sickly though.

Squeeze them between two fingers.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Cross postin for visibility

TheBigAristotle posted:

I haven't sat down to paint in 3 weeks. I can't tell if it's lack of motivation or just spending more time outside before the cold arrives.

Anyone have any methods for getting back into the swing?

My first thought is maybe clear off and organize my work table to make my queue seem less daunting.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
Try looking at alternative painting tutorials or videos and trying them out. Often the repetition of a single scheme or style can lead to painting exhaustion, and trying out new techniques can reignite the spark in your cold, loveless relationship with your models. The army might not all be uniform, but it’s better than unpainted filth.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The main thing I keep seeing and hearing repeated is that clearing out your desk and putting stuff away is a good idea because then you won't be constantly reminded of everything else you have to paint and can just focus on the one thing.

Secondly you should just try to sit down and paint for an hour a day regardless of what might need to be done.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
Tiny inconveniences can become massive barriers when you're trying to form, or break, a habit. My technique to keep me painting is that I only have one chair - and it can either be at my computer desk or at my painting desk.

Rolling that chair across to my computer desk takes all of 15 seconds but my lazy brain at the end of a day's work doesn't want to put even that much effort in. It just wants to sit down and clock out, so I've made it so that minis painting lets me do that and computer gaming takes conscious effort. Going vegetarian was kinda just as simple - I updated my path through the supermarket to not go by the meat section so I'd need to go deliberately out of my way to even be tempted.

I'm not sure if that's universal or just a product of being a lazy bastard though.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
You're right about small inconveniences. I've found that keeping water in my paint pot and the paints for the current project on my desk has helped get over that inertia. In general, to deliberately form a habit you apparently need to do something every day for a month or so, and sooner than later your brain will just map to think you should be doing it.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Honestly... sometimes there does come a time when you just have to sit down and pick up the brush.

I've not painted anything for like a year and a half, but today I just sat down and picked up the (air) brush.

If you're blocked, pick up something you need to just base coat, right now, and go base coat it.

I'll wait.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Thanqol posted:

Tiny inconveniences can become massive barriers when you're trying to form, or break, a habit. My technique to keep me painting is that I only have one chair - and it can either be at my computer desk or at my painting desk.

Rolling that chair across to my computer desk takes all of 15 seconds but my lazy brain at the end of a day's work doesn't want to put even that much effort in. It just wants to sit down and clock out, so I've made it so that minis painting lets me do that and computer gaming takes conscious effort. Going vegetarian was kinda just as simple - I updated my path through the supermarket to not go by the meat section so I'd need to go deliberately out of my way to even be tempted.

I'm not sure if that's universal or just a product of being a lazy bastard though.

To get a bunch of building/painting done in time for the big game at my house this Saturday, I spent a night just prepping my building area with everything I needed/only what I needed to get done, and same for painting last weekend.

Now during the weekdays I've been able to come home and pick up and go. I could have been done with this poo poo a while ago if I had done that, but I kept coming home and having 'too many hurdles' (30 minutes of cleaning my desk) to get started after working all day.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Another thing you can do if you're feeling creatively blocked is cheat, instead of painting clean something up, or assemble it. Do anything productively hobby related. At worst you've saved time down the road, at best you'll kickstart your mojo.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Another thing you can do if you're feeling creatively blocked is cheat, instead of painting clean something up, or assemble it. Do anything productively hobby related. At worst you've saved time down the road, at best you'll kickstart your mojo.

Yup. I prepped the two minis I started today in downtime over the past couple of months.

The suggestion of basecoating is a particularly good one I feel, because it;s low-effort and low-importance, but it gets you at your painting desk with a brush and a water pot, and it tends to grow from there.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Batch prime stuff, sooner or later you'll crack and sit down and "just base coat" something.

Each of these dudes (besides the Inquisitor who still needs finishing), started out as "I'll just base, wash and finish them later". Each of them belongs to an entire unit of 5+ each now, because "hey, I've base coated one, might as well do the others while the paint's out".

September.jpg

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Batch priming stuff ahead of time is the best. A gift from present you to future you.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Took a break from Age of Sigmar, where I've painted like 1200 points of similar-looking ghosts, to do the CMON Song of Ice and Fire minis.

I didn't realize Maege Mormont's wearing a hood, so I'm likely to redo that. Trying to stick to a realistic scheme, so only the royal family proper will be in gold armor, etc.

Definitely need to up my face game. I tend to rely on heavy shadowing to just get them to read as faces at table-height, but that makes the women look real manly, so I tried to go a lot lighter on these two. Not as much an issue with these tough women, but when I get to Cersei, Sansa, etc I really don't want harsh features.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

If you don't feel like painting and you have kids or nieces or whatever invite them. Kids love it and you gaurenteed will get amped on their energy. I know I know don't let them ruin your ham babies but i'm sure you have poo poo from board game x they can ruin like that cake Marge makes for homer.

And when you or your friends put out a piece your 4-6 year olds painted everyone grins from ear to ear and cheers when technisplatter ogre takes another life.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

richyp posted:

Batch prime stuff, sooner or later you'll crack and sit down and "just base coat" something.

Each of these dudes (besides the Inquisitor who still needs finishing), started out as "I'll just base, wash and finish them later". Each of them belongs to an entire unit of 5+ each now, because "hey, I've base coated one, might as well do the others while the paint's out".

September.jpg

Damnit richy go drill the barrels on that grey knight, you're better than that.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
I thought this would be a quick and easy project. I was wrong. Took way too long and I was thoroughly sick of beige by the end of it.

Castellan Knight FEMC #2 Left "Green Devil".

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
My fancy purpose-built wet palette was supposed to come today on my day off and I got skunked.

Darkest Timeline

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Z the IVth posted:

I thought this would be a quick and easy project. I was wrong. Took way too long and I was thoroughly sick of beige by the end of it.

Castellan Knight FEMC #2 Left "Green Devil".

Nevertheless, it is lovely.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Booley posted:

Damnit richy go drill the barrels on that grey knight, you're better than that.

He's an Inquisitor, totally not a grey knight, the similarities are merely coincidental.

Barrels will be drilled as soon as I can put my hands on my pin vice. I should probably check the magpie's room upstairs.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Drill found, barrels drilled and all is right with the world (besides everything else)

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

I quit painting for a few months because I got self conscious about doing a lovely job painting, mostly because I am frustrated with layering and highlighting I'm trying to do. That being said, I started again and painted these few things. I could use some serious criticism on how to improve. How do these look? What could be done better? Is the camo on the WIP guy on the left ok looking? Why does his uniform look lovely compared to the other two, despite me using the same technique? Should I just put a wash on him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Phi230 posted:

I quit painting for a few months because I got self conscious about doing a lovely job painting, mostly because I am frustrated with layering and highlighting I'm trying to do. That being said, I started again and painted these few things. I could use some serious criticism on how to improve. How do these look? What could be done better? Is the camo on the WIP guy on the left ok looking? Why does his uniform look lovely compared to the other two, despite me using the same technique? Should I just put a wash on him?

I wouldn't say the guy on the left looks lovely, he's at the same stage most models are before the finishing touches. I'll often get to the pre-wash/highlight stage and think something doesn't work, then a wash later and a couple of quick highlights and all is good in the world.

The picture is quite dark so it's hard to see the difference in the lower part of the uniform, but usually if you think a wash will help, then it will (you could always thin the wash first, if you're concerned it'll be too much and then build it up slowly).

The camo on the vehicle is awesome, and from what I can make out the two dudes to the right look awesome too.